Thread: From the Brink

From the Brink

The Beginning

Stet paces. She’d been doing a lot of that lately. She thought over the day’s events and paced some more.

At the behest of Sei-An President Shizhima she had been attempting to contact someone who’d had direct experience of “shadows.” She thought back to the start of it all…..

………………………

Stet and General Rozo entered her apartment laughing. The day had been spent hunting and General Rozo was regaling her with stories of other hunting trips taken before she arrived on Rubi-Ka. The game had been good and she was looking forward to some tender Hammer steaks, a good red wine and conversation with a good friend.

“Babe, you have to remember your armor when we go out hunting. Especially up near the Clon**** mines,” Rozo scolded.

Stet handed him a glass of wine, “It’s easy to forget, Roz. Since you redesigned my implants I don’t seem to get hit hard at all.”

Rozo laughed. “The point of those implants was to keep you safer. Not give you an excuse to run around spider territory half dressed.”

Stet blushed. “I’ll have you know…” What she would have said was interrupted by her com signal. She looked at her com then at Rozo. “It’s Shiz,” she explained answering. “Yes, Shiz. What can I do for you?”

“I want to talk to you,” he replied. “Now. Do you know where General Rozo is?”

President Shizhima’s voice sent the message that this was to be no social call. “Yes, sir. He’s right here.”

“Bring him,” he said then abruptly cut the link.

Stet stared at her comlink, surprised and a little worried. She said to Rozo, “He wants to see us. And I don’t think it’s going to be pleasant.”

…….

Rozo and Stet arrived and President Shizhima’s office within minutes of being called. Shizhima sat behind his desk looking more than a little concerned. General Reilos was also in attendance, an expression of grave expectation on his face. Stet greeted Shiz and the young General warmly. They were not in the habit of standing on formality among themselves. Rozo offered firm handshakes and a brief embrace, his face reflecting the concerned looks of the other two men. “What’s this about,” he asked.

Shizhima gestured at the seats, “Please. Sit.”

While the Generals took seats, the President gathered his thoughts. With everyone settled and their attention directed toward him, he took a deep breath and began to speak. “I have seen disturbing things,” he began. “The last few days, while meditating, I began to notice that there is a stir in the shadows. Those things that were once insubstantial and mostly harmless are beginning to change.”

He put his hands together and rested his chin on steepled fingers. His eyes closed as he recalled the vision. “I sense… a change.” He paused, thinking. “I have been aware of disturbances in the shadows for some time. You remember the incidents involving Damon Clyburn?” He opened his eyes and looked at each of his Generals in turn receiving silent affirmation from all. “I should have sensed that there was something greater behind his actions, but I did not. I thought of his whole charade as some play for personal importance.” He leaned forward placing his palms on the cool marble of his desktop. “I was negligent. Those incidents portended greater menace to come.”

The Generals listened without interrupting. “I have recently seen the true nature of the threat,” Shizhima went on, “The threat that may foreshadow the end of all life as we know it. It may be that we will pay a greater price for the Shadow Lands knowledge than we knew.”

“What do you mean,” asked General Reilos.

Shizhima sighed, “I mean that the shadows are gaining power. Since the opening of the portals, they have become agitated. I sense that they are drawing from a source of energy unknown to us which allows them to gain substance. Substance enough that they may be able to cross into this plane of existence without aid.” He looked at his Generals, his brow furrowed with determination. “This must be stopped.”

Rozo looked thoughtful. “I may know something about this. I have been studying some spatial anomalies which seem to present as artificial. Let me do some more research and I’ll let you know what I find.”

Reilos rose from his chair, “I can collect field data on the portals. If I find anything unusual, maybe I can trace it back to its source.”

Shizhima nodded as he rose from his chair. “That would be helpful.” Rozo stood and firmly grasped the President’s offered hand. “Take care, my brother,” Shizhima told him. He turned to Reilos, grasped his hand in both of his. “You too, young brother. We do not know the extent of the danger we face. It would grieve me to lose you when we have known each other such a short time.”

To Stet he said, “I want you to find out who knows about these shadows. Find out what they know.” Stet nodded. To all of them he said, “I will be available to you at all times until we have eliminated this curse of shadows.”

“I will call as soon as I know anything,” Rozo promised. Stet watched with a deep sense of foreboding as he left the room.

…….

Tears came to Stet’s eyes as she remembered. “Where are you, now,” she wondered.

Stet sat at Reet’s looking over her list of names. Each name on the list belonged to someone she believed had come in contact with shadows in varying degrees.

She’d set her com to signal if one of their links appeared as “open.” It chimed now. She looked and saw the name Jacelyn “Ylemmae” Waldram. She looked next to the name on her list for reference. “Mm-hm. That young reporter,” she thought, then muttered, “Who is she writing for now?”

She set the question aside and pressed a button on her com. She said, “Greetings, Ylemmae,” and waited for a response. When Lem responded, Stet requested a meeting. Lem agreed and invited her to Rompa to talk. She quickly called President Shizhima of The Sei-An Magistrate. “I’ve contacted Ylemmae. I’m heading to The Rompa Bar right now to talk with her.”

“Can you... handle it,” he asked breathlessly. Stet heard the sounds of weapons fire, and a good deal of bashing going on in the background. “I’m… kind of… busy… right now,” the last followed by an ear walloping roar and the sound of rending flesh.

“Yes, sir,” she answered, flinching away from the noise. “I’ll do what I can.” She slapped her com shut and headed for Rompa’s.

She arrived within minutes and found Lem sitting in a booth deep in conversation with another woman. She waited a moment then interrupted, “Hello, Ylemmae. I’m sorry to interrupt.”

Lem turned to her, “Hello, General. Please. Sit with us. And call me Lem.”

Stet said, “Thank you,” and sat next to Lem. “I appreciate your time.”

“No problem,” Lem responded. “This is Jenae Markarian,” she said, indicating the other woman. Stet smiled, pleased. She had hoped to enlist Lem in her search for information, but in Jenae was one who had actually touched the shadows. This meeting was more fortunate than she had anticipated. Lem continued, “Tell me what this is all about.”

Stet began explaining, as best she could, her reason for seeking out Lem. “President Shizhima, for time beyond my recall, has practiced deep meditation in order to expand his knowledge and increase his awareness. Recently, though, he has had some disturbing experiences.” Stet went on to explain Shizhima’s meditative vision.

Stet watched the two girls, noting their reactions as she described the vision; Lem seeming to become more dubious while Jenae paled, avoiding direct eye contact.

“Wait a minute,” Lem interrupted the General’s flow of words. “Something ain’t right here.”

Surprised, Stet asked, “What do you mean?”

“First you tell me that there aren’t words to describe the vision. Then you start telling me the vision. You’re telling too much detail. How could your President describe something that can’t be described so that you know so much about it? You know too much!” Lem glared. “I won’t be lied to, General.”

A young Omni-Pol officer stopped at the table and nodded, greeting them with, “Hello, ladies. How are you today?” Stet vaguely recognized the young man thinking Hooo might have told her something about someone named Rannet.

Lem returned the greeting. “Just fine, officer. We’re just talking, here.”

“May I join you,” he returned.

Lem shook her head, “No. Actually, this is a private conversation.”

The officer said, “Alright, then,” bowed and walked away.

Stet was made mildly uncomfortable with Lem’s abrupt dismissal of the Omni-Pol officer. She tried as well as she could not to draw any OP attention. Still, she had to ask, “Is it possible the officer could be of some help?”

Lem shook her head, “I assure you, he could not.”

Stet defers to Lem’s judgment, continuing the conversation. “I can’t confess to a lie, Lem. Perhaps a half-truth.” Stet bowed her head, “And maybe I have told you some of what I have seen.”

“Why isn’t your President here,” Lem demanded. “Why are you telling us this and not him? I won’t settle for half the truth.”

Stet was a little annoyed at the young reporter’s insistent probing and blunt questioning, but also pleased. If she could enlist Lem’s help in gathering information, she would be assured that the information would be as complete as possible.

“President Shizhima is presently involved in something else,” she answered. “This meeting happened on such short notice that he wasn't able to come. I can arrange a meeting. In fact, that is my hope. As for half the truth, that may be all any of us have until we get more information. That is why I have been trying to contact you for so long.”

The Omni-Pol officer walked by their table. Lem whispered, “Is he spying on us?” as she su****iously watched him turn and pass by again. She turned to the General, “Maybe we should take this meeting somewhere else.”

Lem leaned over and whispered with Jenae, nodded and turned to Stet. “General, we’re going to try to get out of here without him following. Just play along. We’ll leave separately and meet at Baboon’s.” The General nodded agreement.

Lem picked up her coffee and flung it at Jenae. “Take that!”

Stet gasped, surprised by the sudden assault.

“Hmph,” Lem snorted. “Stupid bitch! I am not just some little teenager, I keep telling you!”

Jenae looked at the coffee soaking her shirt and shook her head. “Yeah, well, that ain’t a reason to…”

“If she wants to tell me something,” Lem interrupted, “Then you don’t have to constantly interfere!” She lowered her voice and, in an aside to the General, said “Play… along…”

Stet pretended to attempt some conciliation, “Please, girls...”

Ylemmae whispered, “Pretend I'm Lemmy.”

“Er... Ladies,” Stet interjected in an attempt to play along. “Lemmy. There is no reason to be so,” she gestured helplessly, looking for an appropriate term. “So… young!” She thought, “I will never understand teenagers.”

Lem winked and noded to Jen. To Stet she whispered, “Not you, General.”

The girls continued their mock battle. Jen scolded, “Good crap, if yab can't even behave.. . dun't wonder why I ‘interfere’!

“I can do what I want when I want, and you cant do a damn thing about it!” Lem retorted. “You can't drag me home like some kid!”

Jenae frowned and cast a hard glance at Lem. “Now young gal ya'd better *behave* a lil. We're in a public place, dammit.”

“I don’t give a damn where we are! And don't call me a young gal!” Lem emphasized her words by punching the sofa.

Stet sighed pretending exapsperation. She watched as Officer Rannet passed by again.

“I call ya whatever I want,” Jen shouted. “Ya ain't feel bothered 'bout throwing yer coffee at meh after all!”

“It's no more than you deserve dammit!”

“Perhaps I should let the two of you work this out without my uh... interference,” Stet said, recognizing a cue that allowed her to leave.

Lem turned to the general, “Don't let this bitch bother you General.”

Stet held up a hand as if to say no problem. “I believe this would be a good time for me to withdraw,” she said with a smile.

Lem whispered, “Baboons,” then turned back to continue her ‘argument’ with Jen.

“Watch yer language,” Jen scolded.

“I will look forward to speaking with you at a future, calmer, time.” Stet rose, bowed slightly and left the girls to their argument. She smiled thinking they seemed to enjoy their pretense maybe a little too much.

Behind her she heard “Watch yer own damn you! I came to talk to her, not you bitch!”

“And if ya ain't happy with tha way *I* behave, mehbe we can just settle this... now!”

“Oh yea?! Why don’t you try it? EEP! Let go!”

The door slid quietly shut behind her, cutting off any further dialog.

Escape and Pursuit

Lem did not become the youngest reporter in Rubi-Kan history for nothing. Though not always correct, her instincts gave her a survival ability that she has used and been using often for the last five years. Right now, those instincts told her but one thing: "Keep this quiet." She did not know why, but this... Officer of Omni-Pol... seemed to bother her. Her hatred towards Omni-Pol ran deep, but this had nothing to do with it. Strange how she could hate a division of Omni-Tek so much and yet love one in it... but that was for another time. Right now... needed to get out.

Thus the coffee was thrown. The heat of it scorching Jen's lap. For the first time in years, she was grateful her sister was still alive. Jen would know how to handle this situation, and in such a way that the Officer would not interfere. Yelling her profanities, the two locked horns together in a shouting match of words. It ended as Lem had expected, her arm being grabbed by Jen and being pulled away from the table. Lem struggled, and struggled, but to no avail... which was as planned. Jen, who she knew must have been in many tricky situations herself, would be able to think and follow along with Lem's plan.

Officer Rannet stopped, inquiring what was happening. Jen shrugged him off, stating she needed to have a "talk" with the "young gal". Lem's intuition proved correct. Rannet followed the two out of Rompa's. Jen did not let up one bit on Lem's arm, continuing to pull her along down the street. Rannet called forth his watchful 'minions', his eyes in the sky, to follow. Jen tried to yell back saying she could handle it, but still he pursued. Down street after street, he would not relent. Lem heard in her com the words, "I'm here"... the words from the General stating she was waiting their arrival at Baboon's. Lem whispered to wait, then proceeded to play along as constantly Jen yanked on her arm.

The eyes followed, and followed, around every curb they did not relent. Lem whispered to Jen, "Just do something!" Jen did not want to, how could she? What could she possibly do to show the Officer she was in control of the situation? She hesitated. It would seem this was the only way... "A shop!" Lem whispered quickly, glancing to the right. There, a small Omni-Med facility was located. Jen seemed to gather her strength and wits about her again, pulling on Lem towards that direction but not directly to the shop. As they neared closer, Jen quickly yanked Lem inside the shop closing the door behind them.

The wait began.

One minute...

Two minutes...

Three minutes...

The two exchanged whispers, but stood silent, listening for the approaching steps of Officer Rannet. Finally, after five minutes of waiting, Jen stepped outside. She signaled to Lem, the two exchanged a smile. There was no sign of Rannet, nor any of his 'eyes in the sky'. His manifestations were gone, *he* was gone. "Do you think it'd be obvious if we ran?" No... time was wasting but if Rannet did return to catch the two running would be an obvious signal something was wrong. Lem whispered into her com, assuring the General all would be okay and they are on their way. "He's here too. We await you."

So the President has shown. As the two entered Baboon's, she wondered what would be told this night...
    Ylemae (6-10? years old):
    "Lemmy" (True name: Jiselle Waldram)
    Jennifer Matusz - Daughter to Don "Doncarnage" Matusz

Chelle "Crysallys" Dinnen (14 years old)
    Hayley Dinnen's Daughter
    Growth Accelerated as a Baby
    Born Dec 25, 29476 RST
    Trainee in Vector Blue

At Baboon’s

Lem shouted, “General?”

Steterrible shouted back, “Here, Lem.”

Lem looked around. “Define here.”

“On the dance floor,” Stet shouted, walking out to the middle.

Lem looked and spotted the general standing in the center of the dance floor. She nodded in acknowledgement. “Sorry,” she said.

Stet returned her nod by way of greeting as Lem and Jenae approached. “No need to be sorry.”

It was then that a bone shaking “RAWR!!!” reverberated through the room. Lem jumped, startled. “What was that?” she gasped, then smiled.

“That,” Stet answered with a smile, “was President Shizhima. He waits in the green room”

“Well, lets go meet him then,” Lem said.

Jenae looked toward the back of the room, “Already done, it seems.”

Lem turned to look and jumped back. “Whoa!”

Stet turned to see what had startled Lem so and saw a large, imposing black panther bounding toward them. “Ah. Here he is.” She recognized President Shizhima’s alternate form.

“Hello,” he said and came to a stop near Lem.

Jenae seemed unfazed as she returned his greeting. “Evening, Shizhima.”

“Demenzia,” he said, turning to Jen, “Long time no see.”

Lem recovered from her shock and said, “I was expecting a human or something...”

“I assure you, Lem, he is quite human,” Stet laughed, then muttered to herself, “Most of the time.”

“Hi, Lemmy,” Shizhima said.

Lem blinked and shook her head. “Lem,” she said. “We've never met before Mister President.”

Shizhima sat. “Good to see you again Stet.”

“Mr. President.” She said, bowing.

“Now that's uncharacteristically formal of you Stet,” he giggled. He had little tolerance for formality and was prone to gently tease those who tended to behave in that manner.

Stet blushed and laughed, “I'm trying to make a good impression, Sir.”

“Well shall we go grab a seat?” Lem suggested. Stet agreed.

“Your choice,” Shizhima offered. Lem hesitated, not sure. “Where would you like to sit?” he asked.

“Shall we go grab a sofa or something?” she asked.

Jenae, direct and to the point, turned to Shizhima. “Well.... Lead tha way...”

Lem deferred and bowed politely, “Please mister president, after you.”

Shizhima nodded his stately panther head and thanked her. With his alter form’s feline grace and long pantherish stride he led the women back to a smaller room behind the stage and to an intimate furniture grouping. “I hope this is satisfactory.”

Lem nodded and introduced herself again. “The name is Jacelyn Waldram Mister President, though I prefer Lem. Good to meet you.”

Shizhima looked at her thoughtfully. “You remind me of someone I know.”

“Oh how so?” Lem asked.

“Nearly the same name for one,” he answered.

“Well names can be similar, can they not?” she replied.

“True,” Shizhima said. “My mistake.”

“I just recently saw a Markarian the other day in Jobe,” Lem said. “Reminded me of Jen for a second... for a second...”

“My apologies,” he said.

Lem nodded. “It's okay,” she smiled then became businesslike. “Now please, tell me about these visions?”

Shizhima settled himself comfortably before beginning. “The visions are of shadows gaining solidity. The crossing of energy to manifest. Manifestation and feeding on this side of the great barrier. The women listened closely as he described his vision. “There is a gathering of power in the substance of darkness. A terrible intent can be felt.” Jenae’s gaze went to the ground. She blinked a few times. Shizhima continued. “A loathing of the light. A desire to extinguish and feed on the life of those that shine.” His expression became grave. “The crime is life... The sentence is death.”

A chill grasped Stet and shook her to the soul. Shizhima said, “The shadows must be stopped.” Lem looked confused, as if there was a question she wanted answered, but she held her peace as Shizhima spoke. “Their source of growing power found and extinguished.”

Shizhima shook his head as if to clear it. “One of our number has already been lost to the shadows,” he said.

Lem turned a questioning look to Shizhima. “Huh, eh? Explain.”

Jenae tilted her head to the side, listening.

“My general, Rozo, has been taken,” he said. “I know not whether he still lives, but I cannot sense him anywhere on RK. I suspect he is no longer on in this world.” Grief caused by general Rozo’s disappearance was readily apparent on Shizhima’s and Stet’s faces.

Jenae frowned. “ ...And... on tha other side?...” she asked.

Lem also spoke asking, “But... what took him then?”

Stet looks to Shizhima to answer. “The shadows have gained a little power here, but they need more. Rozo was very knowledgeable. His mind would be a great asset to them.”

“General Rozo was taken while in a meditative state,” Stet explained.

“By what? How does it manifest itself?” Lem wanted to know.

Stet shook her head. “The actual taking was not seen..”

“So.... just... vanished?”

Shizhima said, “The shadows, when strong enough, can spend their strength to manifest... One would most likely not notice a manifestation if it happened in their sight.”

Lem looked to Jenae for a moment, but said nothing turning back to the ones from the magistrate. Stet also looked at Jenae. Jenae had grown paler. Her look is pained.

Shizhima began to speak again. “A shadow would seem to darken... Gain depth... Then, like a preying mantis when it's prey comes within striking range, it reaches...”

Stet leaned toward Jenae, aware that the young woman was in conflict within herself. “Jenae,” she asked. “Is it not you who has actually touched the shadows?”

Jenae slowly looked up to meet Stet’s gaze. Lem looked from Jenae, to Stet as Jenae considered what to say. 'Touched'... ain't tha word....” Her voice was dull, distant; as if she struggled to bring words to what she felt.

Lem looked to Jenae. “Then what word, Jen?”

“I dunno,” Jenae answered. “There ain't words to describe 'em. Either ya live it, or ya dun't. Is all....” She sighed and returned her gaze to the floor.

Stet directed her words to Jenae, “Jenae, if you can help...,” she started, then rethought. “No. I know you can help.”

Jenae raised her eyes again. “Help? Meh?!”

Stet nodded. “Yes. You and Lem.”

Shizhima, lost in thought, concentrating on Jenae, said, “ It felt like a cold hand of ice wrapping around your soul?”

Lem shrugged. “I don’t know anything unfor...” Shizhima’s comment caught her attention. “Wha?!”

“Yes... No,” said Jen. She shook her head, confused. She curled into herself and seemed to want to retreat, to escape the questions and probing.

Shizhima probed. “A call that dragged at your spirit to follow?”

Jenae’s voice was soft. Lem and Stet strained to hear, “His... were cold. Now... they're... warm?” Jenae frowned, unsatisfied, but unable to explain.

Shizhima nodded, “The shadows have many ways, but the goal is always the same.”

“What is this... er... goal?” asked Lem.

“To consume life.” Shizhima stated.

“I dunno... I think... it depends,” Jenae said. Her voice faded to a whisper and her eyes glazed over as she thought.

Shizhima said, “The shadows are not life as we know it and they despise that which is different from them.”

Stet leaned toward Lem and Jen. “If you don't know, then we know so much less. To understand, we must know. If we are to defeat... We must understand .“

“No... I mean... it can kill. But... mehbe... it just depends on tha use we make of it....” Jenae tried to explain. “Once we understand their... voices.”

“Wait...” Lem interrupted. She shook her head, thinking. “No, something is very wrong here. Shadows cannot exist without light,” she pointed out. “Therefore, where does the light come from that allows them to be?”

Jenae sighed. It is so hard to make those who don’t know, who haven’t lived through what she had lived through understand. Stet watched her as she shifted uncomfortably in her seat seeming to repress an urge to demonstrate the nature of what the others thought they might defeat.

Shizhima spoke to Lem, explaining the nature of shadow and light as he saw it. “If you extinguish light. Is not all in shadow?”

Lem refused to accept such an easy answer. “No,” she disagreed. “It is darkness. Shadows can not exist without light.”

“All shadows become darkness,” Shizhima argued.

“But not all darkness is shadow,” Lem replied.

Then Shizhima, “A shadow is merely darkness trapped in light.”

“Exactly. So where is this light?” Lem challenged.

Jenae drew a deep breath and said, “Tha shadows are shadows. Can't be... explained”

Stet sighed, “It is not all light that would be extinguished,” she said, to which Shizhima added, “Only the light of the living. Call it a metaphor if you like.”

“It doesn't matter.” Jenae said. Her eyes continued to gaze at the floor. She seemed tired. Worn to the soul. Lem shook her head, confused. Jen tried to explain. “No matter how much light ya put in front of 'em, they won't change.

“But it does,” Shizhima said. “Does matter.”

“I know,” Jenae went on, not hearing Shizhima. “They tried. It failed.”

“It is good that it failed,” Shizhima said. “For every life they can subjugate, the shadows gain power.”

“What did they try?” Stet asked.

Jenae drew another deep breath. “Metaphysics rituals. It was no use. And it ain't tha shadows that failed,” she told Shizhima. “It was tha... tha 'light'” A brief snarl finished her statement. Stet looked at the pale girl, surprised and not a little worried.

“Eh? Elaborate please, in English?” Lem asked.

Exasperated , Jenae said, “I told ya. Words are no use.”

Stet nodded. Lem said, “Thas no help...”

Shizhima looked intently at Jenae. “Do you still feel the chill of the shadows Demenzia?”

“It ain't a chill. It's warm,” she was growing tired of trying to explain. Maybe a little angry. A barely noticeable glint of red shone briefly in her eye.

Shizhima hummed thoughtfully. Lem was at a complete loss for words. Shizhima said, “Then the shadows are trying to seduce you. Make you a willing participant in their schemes.”

“The energy they draw upon…” Stet started.

“Oh I know what they draw upon,” Jenae interrupted. “Hate. Anger. In fact... a li'l like... like what Meta-Physicians do with these creatures they call.”

“A meta's creatures are physical manifestations of desires and emotions,” Shizhima said.

“Sorta,” Jenae nodded.

“But there is another,” Stet remembered her own dream and what Shizhima had told her. “An energy which gives them substance.”

“They get stronger then,” Jenae confirmed. “But even without this, they're always here.”

Stet thought. “This strengthening of the shadows, I believe it started just before the portals were opened. There were stirrings.”

Lem questioned the General. “Are you suggesting that the portals need to be closed?”

Shizhima also questioned. “And you believe that the portals could be a catalyst for the shadows?”

Stet shook her head. “No,” she answered. “It would be foolish to close the portals. Much good has come, but with it, something evil.”

Jenae shook her head. “It had begun long before tha portals were opened. Before we heard of 'em here, even.

Stet nodded agreement. “Yes. I know. But they have begun to develop strength... To,” Stet struggled to speak. “Ah!” she growled. “Words!” She tried again. “Before, they were insubstantial. One had to be attuned to them, through deep thought or....” she hesitated, unwilling to mention the other. She looked at Lem and Jenae seated together. She saw how Lem reached to comfort Jen. “You know,” she said.

Lem said, “No I'm not too sure I do sadly.”

Shizhima asked, “Blood ritual Stet?”

“I have no personal experience, Sir,” she answered. “Only su****ion.”

“ It is very dangerous, and very powerful,” he said.

Stet shifted in her seat and thought how to go on. “Since the portals opened, the shadows’ ability to gain substance has increased,” she looked meaningfully at the group. “And it continues to increase. I... Am... Afraid.”

Lem turned to her friend. “Jen... can you help any?”

Jenae shook her head. “I dunno. I ain't sure.”

Lem put a comforting arm around Jenae, “Need some time to do some research?”

“Rather... I must find out where I stand” she answered, smiling bitterly.

Lem looked at her friend, confused. “Er... eh?”

At Baboon's (cont.)

to Shizhima, defiance in her eyes. “What would ya say to this, eh?”

Shizhima returned to his human form. His gentle eyes showed concern. “There are many dark emotions that call to them...,” he interrupted himself, shaking his head. “But it is force of will that can keep them at bay.”

Stet spoke. “Jen... May I call you Jen?,” she asked. Jenae nodded. Stet continued, “Jen, I think you know more than any of us here. I believe that you can see where we cannot. It's possible I am wrong about you, but;;; I believe you can help, and that you will want to.”

Jenae shook her head. “I dunno. I can see 'em crawl on the walls and softly whispers all tha time, if it's what ya mean. I can... feel 'em. Deep inside. All tha time.” Stet nodded, encouraging Jenae to go on. “And it's stronger there,” Jen pointed in the general direction of Jobe. “Beyond tha Portals.”

Shizhima looked thoughtful, “Somehow you are connected to them. Or . at least, sensitive to them.”

Lem looked to Jenae then to the aging President and said, “Please Mister President, She,” indicating Jenae, “will not do anything you ask without wanting to do it.”

“Of course not,” Stet agreed.

Shizhima held up a hand as if to stop the negative thought. “No-one is expecting her to Lem.”

“And it's impossible,” Jenae stated, shaking her head.

“Well maybe, Jen, by helping them you can do that one day?” Lem put her arm across Jenae’s shoulder in a gentle hug.

“I can't erase tha memories,” Jen softly said.

Lem offered encouragement. “But you can erase future problems...”

Jenae shook her head in denial, speaking hauntingly. “And I can't erase tha fact that... that I was the only one he gave tha choice to.. and that accepted... out of free will!” She looks down at the ground, her body reflecting her shame.

“Er... he?” Lem asked.

“Demoneyes' son....,” Jenae whispered.

Stet’s heart when out to the young woman. She knew the type of pain that self-recrimination could cause. She tried to help ease the poor girl’s guilt saying, “Jen, we follow our destiny. Whatever it is. There is no reason to feel badly about that.”

“But I accepted!” Jenae shouted at her. “The others were all victims... but I accepted...”

Stet thought she saw Jenae’s eyes glisten with repressed tears. “You have shown strength, though,” she said gently. “There was good reason.”

Lem also tried to ease her friend’s pain. “But times change Jen,” she said. She appeared to look inward then looked back at Jenae. “I should know more than anyone, we have a right to change.” Stet looked at Lem wondering what the cryptic remark meant.

Jenae shook her head again. “I dunno. I may just be tha serpent ya yerself introduced here. Who knows.”

Stet may have wondered the same thing, but she said, “Again, Jen, you have a choice.”

“I... yes, but... I ain't sure it's really my choice anymore, is all,” she replied.

“Come on Jen,” Lem said. “we always have a choice...”

“Of course it’s your choice,” said Stet, “But we will ask no more of you than you are willing to give.”

Jenae nodded slowly, shifting her positions and looking miserable. “I think I need some time.. .to think....,” she said leaving her chair. Excuse meh. I... I need to be alone a little... Can I call ya back.. later on ?”

Stet looked at Jenae, seeing the intense conflict waging within Jenae. “Of course Jen,” she said with a nod.

Shizhima’s compassion for the pain of the other was a plain fact as he gently said, “Take your time Ms. Markarian.”

“I'm sorry.” Jenae apologized. “It's just... this story coming back again into my face... it's hard to bear. I just need some time” She stood as if bearing a weight to great to carry.

Stet wished her a safe journey as Jenae nodded a goodbye and walked away, unable to speak more.

Lem watched her friend leave then rose to her feet. “I will be leaving too..,” she said. “I have someone to meet, and you don't really need my help anyhow.”

“You may be able to help more than you think, Shizhima told her. “Time will tell.”

Lem smiled, “Perhaps... but right now, you were only lucky enough to have me with Jen,” she said. “Well... take care you two. Contact me if needed.” She curtseyed politely, said “Sorry I couldn't help more,” and left the President and his General alone.

Annie “Hooo” Littlefoot clambered over the edge of the world. She could do that here, in the Shadow Lands. The Brink had become one of her favorite places since the opening of the portals. One of her favorite games was making her way past the Hecklers to the highest rock she could find and fearlessly diving into the Vortex. This time, she was exploring the very rim of the brink. She’d worked her way down the precipice where she could see the underside of the floating island of Nascense. She was hanging by her fingertips, her full length against the rock face above a narrow ledge, calculating the drop to it’s surface some 5 feet below her toes.

She wasn’t worried about getting back up. She could simply dive into the vortex when she was ready to go home, knowing she would be gently dropped somewhere on Rubi-Ka. She pushed herself slightly away from the wall as she let go of the edge. She had miscalculated, however. When she landed on the ledge, felt herself overbalance. She flailed her arms trying to compensate but, when she saw the futility of her action, gave in to pull of the vortex with a laugh. She gracefully turned her uncontrolled fall into a beautiful swan dive, plunging breast first toward the swirling maelstrom.

Her fall seemed endless. So endless in fact, that Hooo looked below her and saw that the Vortex was getting no closer. She turned her body first one way, then the other. She could feel nothing restricting her; could feel nothing that would have stopped her fall. She simply hung in space, seemingly weightless above the vortex. She giggled, thinking she had found a new game.

She tucked her feet under her body and turned herself so that she was oriented in what she considered a head up position and straightened her legs. She looked down at her feet and took a weightless step on nothing. She was pleasantly surprised to see ripples radiating from her foot where she put it down. She took another step, and another, watching as the ripples crossed each other and created luminous, interconnecting patterns over the background of black space and the brilliant swirling clouds of the vortex. She laughed aloud and jumped, thinking to make a splash, and found herself swimming. She hooted with pure delight and began stroking out away from the land she had just tumbled from. The Vortex below her seemed to remain in place. A glance over her shoulder revealed that the island of Nascence was receding as she swam, though the only physical sense of motion was that of her own making.

Abruptly, all motion stopped. Nascence stopped receding. The Vortex stopped swirling. The ripples stopped expanding. Hooo could not move. She stifled a hint of panic with the comforting thought that the transition from Shadow Lands to Rubi-Ka was probably just taking a little longer.

Then all went dark.

Hooo opened her eyes. She lay on her back looking up at the black sky above her. The stars she knew to be shining were obscured by the light of a brilliantly full moon. She thought she must be on the other side of the planet from Rome. She sat up and checked her gps. It told her she was in the Newland Desert. “But it shouldn’t be dark,” she thought. Her cpu readout showed that the Nascence Access Nano had expired hours before. Her confusion increased. “I should have hours left,” she muttered. She stood up and was hit with an attack of vertigo that drove her to her knees. Her stomach rebelled in response and she bent to vomit the contents of her stomach onto the sandy ground. Nothing but fluid came up, glinting with a blue reflection of the moon above.

She wiped her mouth, sat back and took a deep breath. She had a slight headache; she was cold. She rubbed her arms to warm herself. “Let’s try this again, slowly this time,” she instructed herself and eased into a standing position. Dizziness threatened, but she kept her feet and waited for it to pass. She took deep breaths, counting to 5 between each one. When the dizziness passed, she consulted her gps again and set off at an easy walk toward the Newland Desert Whompa. She felt better as she walked and soon progressed into an easy lope across the desert terrain. As she ran, she wondered how to explain all this to her Aunt Stet. “Heck,” she thought. “How do I explain it to myself?”