Thread: DNA, shifts and physical strain

DNA, shifts and physical strain

For months now, she had worked on it. Was is possible? Every scientific article she came across said it wasn't. One couldn't jump the dimensions and move ones physical self between Rimor and Atlantean. Not without a complete rebuild and reset.

The last couple of months she had been torn. On one side, she had tons of work to do, both for the organization and for her private clients. She had to build a completely new database, now that the shadowlands started showing the effects it had on peoples physical and mental health. She had loads of tests to complete, and her lab in Jobe was equipped with the top notch bio scanners and ray-belts. Some of it wasn't even fully legal on Rubi-Ka, but she didn't give a damn. She wanted to be ready when Jobe opened the gates to shadowlands, and she was.

On the other side she was tired. There was no conflict anymore, no fights between Omni-Tek and the clans. Most discussions on the gridfeed debated either councils, peacetalks or discussions on technical marvels. That was all good, as a doctor, her job was to save life, not see them harmed, even if she was well equipped and capable to end life as well. No conflict meant that the lab work and the medical work was calming down. However..she had always worked best under pressure. And these days, she was getting a bit fed up with doing the odd laserplastics or the brain augmentations, the bone tissue analysis and accellerated growth jobs. It was getting...too square. She wasn't used to this. She felt somewhat useless.

Her organization loved her, as she loved them, but she felt she wasn't using her full potential, and that she should really be where she would be needed. Lately, she had read about the bio-viral attacks where both dustbrigades and some crazy woman called Midia was involved. This had sparked her interest to the extent where she had started investigation on the Atlantean/Rimor shift. Was it possible? Would the body be able to take the strain? Would the DNA completely dissolve? She had a good deal of studies to do. She wanted answers..no..needed answers. If it was possible, if there was any way..maybe she should travel to Rimor.

[Basically, I'm utterly frustrated with Atlantean. There's no conflict, there's no excitement, there's hardly any badguys and there's so many peacetalks it's nauseating. No one wants to be unfriendly, except the NLF (bless you). Maybe I should turn Lille into an evil mad doctor? Also, it seems Rimor is getting all the love from the event crew, which is a big nail in the side for me. I don't know why nothing is happening on Atlantean.. if it is, it's escaping me. I know I'm ranting. Sorry.]

((OOC all the way... can't answer IC to this after all.

I'm sorry to see you feel this way, Lille, really sorry. I've been feeling this way myself sometimes, though it never lasts long, and has more to do, often, with being tired and fed up with several things on a same day, which ends up in anything "boring" in-game to turn into the last drop, so to say. Sometimes things are dead in game, sometimes we don't always find the people we like to RP with... I don't know. Can't say I don't understand though - sometimes I simply skip on the "peace talks" kind of threads myself when reading the boards, because as original as some of the ideas presented can be, we all know that there's no point in making 'peace' on Rubi-Ka. For that matter, in case anybody has ever wondered why it's been months I haven't set foot in any Reet parties: In-Character wise, there's no reason for Dem to mingle with Clanners, even if completely drunk, and I don't feel at ease anymore with this kind of "let's fall OOC just for the sake of partying". It was fun for a few months, it's not fun anymore. Take or leave, I don't care; my char isn't meant to be loved by the whole planet anyway <shrugs>, and it gets boring to have this let's-get-alltogether stuff going on all the time.

We need some action. Too bad if the Event team on Atlantean isn't as active as on Rimor, but I'm sure we could come up with something if we wanted it - and when I say "we", I don't mean two or three people only. If we can have energy for peace talks, we can have it for war talk as well. We didn't need 'official events' to begin 'peace talks', why should we need some to do something else, too. Not necessarily Omni/Clan war, for those who'd scream their heavens out that we played it too much; it's high time we have some kind of big Villain of our own, someone whom people could hate at will. The NLF? Props to you guys, but you simply can't do all the job yourselves, I fear... Don't want to be hated? Use an alt char, dammit, is it so hard to roll some level 15 char and let's pretend she's Uber and Powerful, RP is all about make-believe anyway.

Bah. But true, we need something more, it's a teeny-wee-bit dead these times...

Hint to the Event team: give us our own Midia? Make the DB return here? I don't know what, but whatever will do? Pwetty-pleeeease?...

And *hugs* to Lille. Don't go away please, I don't want to lose you on Rimor! ))
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

(I'm all for some nice staged batles in 4 Holes/2Ho/Broken Shores just like the old days! Muahahaha! Rpers vs rpers....let's get it on and turn the heat up!)
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

/ooc

No one will begrudge you a rant. Nor can we begrudge Rimor for getting their fair share of events, its long overdue.

Many characters support peace talks because that is what, in-character, their hearts and mind tell them to do. AO isn't just some Tolkien knock-off, where dwarves hate goblins because they are goblins. There has to be a compelling reason to fight, something worth killing or dying for. My characters have not found this in the rather stale Clan-Omni conflict, and I guess I am not the only one.

As for baddies, for most people playing the villain goes against the grain. We like to bond with our characters and see them bond with characters around them, all of which is even more important in a game where you can literally spend years playing the same character. We like to be the protagonists of our own stories and by the conventions of pulp fiction (which AO is) the protagonist is the good guy, and the good guy is the one who wins and gets the girl in the end.

Those few who choose to play evil, selfish characters end up having a really hard time. Try teaming, begging for buffs or even attending an ooc friend's in game wedding when your character is meant to be driven by greed, hatred, desire for revenge, power or other assorted unpleasantness. The truth is the evil character's life is a lonely one. By definition he has few friends and even his interaction with is enemies is usually limited to one gloat scene and one fight scene in the fianl reel.

The Nanomage Liberation Front is something of an exception, because, ultimately, they see themselves as the good guys and even those opposed to the NLF have to consider, if only for a second, "what if they were right, what if notum is running out?". Likewise criminal gangs can trade off the romantic image of the outlaw figure to remain likeable even what they do in practice can be quite horrible. Even then I don't think its all that easy to pull off and of all the various criminal orgs that have come and gone, DA seem to be the only one that has stood the test of time.

For all these reasons and more, in RUR created our own conflicts and baddies - something we could tailor to our needs and which would make sense for us. We created the Neo-Luddite Movement, a fanatical anti-robot group (which is actually made up of RUR alts). And of course, though we did not create the cyborgs, we created our own cyborg plots. Basically we have invested our time and energy to made something happen for us rather than sit back and wait for someone to come and entertain, or in LRP terms "monster" for, us. The $10 a month does not buy you a personal GM, ou have to work to make things happen.

There was a while back an initiative (I think spearheaded by Ammicus/Emiliy) which involved a bunch of roleplayers getting together and each creating a master villain character. It seemed like a good idea as playing a villain as your main isn't really all the practical or rewarding. As often happens though, I think the initiative ran out of steam.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

/ooc

While I completely agree with many of the points, and also wish the Rimor group all the best, I have to be somewhat egotistical as well. I don't sit on my backside waiting for stuff to fall in my lap. I've written and participated in many player-made events, my own included, and I've stood on the blockades when it comes to the "make something happen yourself" stuff. That's not the main issue. The main issue is that I see the written reports of what's going down on Rimor, both here, and on other forums, and I keep thinking...wow...dustbrigades...I want some smack too! I don't demand special GM/ARK attention for me alone, of course not! Just somewhat of a dimension balance when it comes to "monumental" stuff like this. I mean, come on...the Dust Brigades! They're the baddest people around on Rubi-Ka.

Lille is a somewhat peaceloving woman herself. She's a doctor, and her main priority is to save lives, come what may. She's done a few mistakes earlier (Can we all spell Tranquillity?) for which she paid dearly. She will go to whatever length needed to keep her friends out of harms way. I try playing her like that, but her needs and my needs are different. I need something more While she would be happy with peace (as long as the odd really bad medical case came in), I need that something that keeps me going and too much love is for Sims Online. So...I've shelved her a lot lately, and played various baby-alts or Wave, who's this boneheaded, hot-headed loyalist who will close to turn in her own grandma to save the company (I'm watching, Lem ). It's lovely and makes me feel invigorated, but I so dearly want to see more bad guys.

Bad guys don't have to be vicious, evil, mad scientists with a Hitler complex. It can be the NLM or NLF. It can be a clanners, neutrals and Omni-Tek at once. It can be many things and it's not always in the open. People who so firmly believe what they're doing is right that they would go to extreme lengths to make it happen. I'd make one myself if anyone asked me for help. Done it before, will do it again.

Treehugging gets boring in the long run. Kidnapping and perma-deaths too. There's something in the middle, I know there is. I just can't find it now. Thus...alt'ing up on Rimor seems like a lovely idea, to get some hands on RP with some designated bad guys of the Rubi-Ka world. I'm not leaving the game...not by far. I haven't said I will, and I don't think I'll say it for a very long time still. I just need some spunk, that's all. Before I turn into a levelhead with "uniques" spelled out in my eyes . Oh and RP vs. RP fights? I'm game. I'm even game for whacking towers...although I seriously don't think it'll happen because the towers are so essential to people.

And I know this means the thread will be moved .

/ooc off
    Last edited by Tussa; Nov 6th, 2003 at 17:29:23.

Easy Solution...

<(

Well first off you are talking speaking as Lillemjau. Dump her! Stick with Hayley and only work on her. Ditch the clans and come fully over to omni-tek!

<coughs>

Alright already, enough of my selfish wants

Seriously Wave, Rimor isn't really that much better. The over-all rp experience is low, but we can make it better if we want. Me, I gave up on trying to help out an entire community. I won't get into details, I've told some people about it before, but before I came here I wanted to influence everyone on a server. I wanted a place where role-playing was all that it was supposed to be. I wanted to see multi-guild plots and involvment from every person on the server. Needless to say, I got a kick in the pants and the door shut in my face for my efforts. Oh yes I did succeed, but at the price that I can never enjoy it.

Sorry, I won't be like that again. My stories I try to have fun with those I know. My reports helped me get involved in the scene, but I pick my own fights. Sure sometimes it's not easy. Sometimes it is. Sometimes we just gotta rough it out.

We love ya Wave, don't go anywhere!

~ Ylems

)>
    Ylemae (6-10? years old):
    "Lemmy" (True name: Jiselle Waldram)
    Jennifer Matusz - Daughter to Don "Doncarnage" Matusz

Chelle "Crysallys" Dinnen (14 years old)
    Hayley Dinnen's Daughter
    Growth Accelerated as a Baby
    Born Dec 25, 29476 RST
    Trainee in Vector Blue

Doctors are goodie-two-shoes?

[

*BLERT!* Wrong answer. Doctors doesn't have to be the omg-I-have-to-heal-this-person-or-he'll-die-and-it'll-be-all-my-responcebility-because-I'm-a-doctor-and-if-I-don't-heal-this-person-my-omni-med-doctors-degree-will-be-revoked-omgz! If you consider human biology, who would know the most? Doctors probably. Who would possibly be able to know exactly what kind of virus would be most effective to kill a person? Doctors probably.

You know I came from Rimor, and I left Rimor for several reasons. One of them was the lack of RP and the lack of a villain.
    Sure, Midia is great as a villain, cos damn it I'm scared of her. Even Dinnide was a great villain, and I'm still not sure which one of them was the actual puppet/puppeteer...
    And well, another reason why I left is that I always sat there in the mainstreet of Borealis, "Camping" 'greenies', and that's not too much fun.

I've had great experiences RPing with 'greenies' (miss ya Fox), it was always great to just hangout with them (rping of course), but when they're not there you really notice what's missing, and that's the RP.

My theory of why there's more greenie-events on Rimor is because Atlantean was always able to support itself in the playerbased events, and didn't really need any help, and trust me, Rimor NEEDS some RP-action way more than Atlantean.
    But I agree with you Wave, Atlantean needs something aswell, because right now it seems it's just all sugar and nice, without the ****e.

*reads up* Did anything here make sense..?

Oh yeah, stay on Atlantean, but do what I do, put your Rimor char on the chatclient, adding the names that are posted from things that interest you (Midia etc), get to know the people that involves themselves with it, and pop in the char when you see a greenie spawn! Yeah baby, yeah!

*cough* School makes me like this..

-Cham/DG

]
    ~Trolls~
    Malcom "Chamaelo" Ashwell - Ex-Immortal.
    Vanguard Adriaan "Demongun" Blackwind - Hermit.
    Jawquez "Jawalooc" Loocazt - Bounty Hunter.
    Michael "Mirkle" Kreble - Creep.
    Christopher "Xelger" Junior - Coffee Maker.

Child Of The Omni - The Boy With The Kitten - Sleepless - The Storm/Breathe - Terminal

"You've just got to keep writing, if that's what makes you happy,
    even when there is no indication anyone is actually reading your work." - Savoy

/ooc on

Psst...Cham...break up that oh so long sentence a bit..you're making the page look all funny .

As for dumping Lille? No...won't do that. She's the character I've invested most time in, and still the one closest to my heart. Shelving her for a while isn't the same as dumping her. Right now I'm not having much fun with her, which is why I tend to play incognito alts or Wave instead. Her viral agent studies is always going on, and she has extensive (*cough*) knowledge of both the good and the bad when it comes to biological medicine. Could I use it to do "bad" stuff myself? Sure. Could I make something up with the NLF? Probably, if they'd agree. Could I go to Romps and dump chemicals in their watertanks? Guess so. But would that be natural for the character? Not without a reason.

Now..the thing you're talking about, Cham...that's what I want for Atlantean as well. An antagonist that people can be spooked by, because you'd never know what he/she would do. More villains that are unpredictable and who wont turn soft and go dancing with their "enemies" in the weekends. It's completely irrelevant if these are ARK Greenies or players. The point is to have opposites. Sure...goody-two-shoes and hugglesnugglers are nice when you need the Red Cross or the UN. But when you need the smack, they're not compatible. What you gonna do? Be vicious with a miniskirt or a bouquet of flowers?

Wow...I don't even make sense to myself.

WTB dedicated RP server. Will pay well. PST.

/ooc off
    Last edited by Tussa; Nov 7th, 2003 at 12:09:19.

/ooc

Wait, Lille, I'm gonna unshelf Heiji from the kitchen where Lemmy is currently forcing him to bake pies and cakes for Jen, and you two can then hate your guts at will then fall in love so that he can turn you into a baddie and plan the demise of this world and....

Okay, I promise, I stop... that was just a lame attempt at a joke

Allright, so I may not have the time (especially c urrently) to fully plan some longterm big plot, but if you need someone to make a nasty char (some right-hand or whatever, dunno) or simply bounce on ideas, let me know. I like giving a hand. I have way too many ideas for my own ake anyway. And I like to kick some asses from time to time instead of going to hug trees
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --