Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why?

Red face Why?

Speaking purely from my own voice, not GVRKs...

Wandering through the streets of Rome behind Redruum, and an assortment of CAS/UF/whatever people, cutting mercilessly through the guards, I wondered why. I mean, I was pretty much there to heal people and take shots so I could report to GVRK... but the futility and counter-productiveness of the whole operation flashed like a Japanese cartoon in front of me.

They attack Athen, we attack Rome. They threaten us, we threaten them. It is really silly. The Clans and Omni-Tek depend on each other... Omni needs the Clans to keep order in the Northern Territories (so they don't have to admister them and control neutrals), and the Clans need Omni for little things like terraforming and money and food.

Really, what is important, is looking 24 years into the future when the Lease expires (at least partially). Our rights and freedom are threatened much more then than they are now.

For one, the Clans have lost all coherency. We fight vaguely for "freedom," but what that is has hardly been outlined. The way I see it, neither side has a reason to fight, other than bloodthirsty parties calling for the extermination of each other.

I'm not calling for a return to peace - the status quo on Rubi-Ka seems to be this hostility covering gentlemen's agreements. Other than that... well, bah. "Death to all Omnis" rhetoric is as bad as "Death to all Clans".

The ideal Clan Rubi-Ka would be one where Omni-Tek exists, but not as the primary governing power - just as a large company subject to all the rules and laws as anyone else on Rubi-Ka.

By declaring all out war on Omni-Tek, we give them what they need - the excuse to use full military power and drag out the lease into emergency periods, until they can consolidate all of the power on their own, or even just make the CoT a puppet state.

I mean, Ross is a powder puff compared to what we could be facing.

(OOC, yadda yadda, everyone wants to fight. This is something that I understand quite well - but there are creative ways to do it. It doesn't help that FunCom has given us NO guidance at all here.

One thing I would like to see is long-term engagements, and more things in PvP, or at least involving PvP. I think that we have something brewing to happen shortly involving all of this - more creative reason to enter into conflict, long term, a little more involved in using a lot of skills. Wait and see. :-)
    Aleksei "Zagadka" Garcia - Savior, Council Clerk
    Cindi "Razishlyat" Bolieu - Advisor Eternalist

Angry May I ask Why?

Omni needs the Clans to keep order in the Northern Territories (so they don't have to admister them and control neutrals),
    Please ...since when did the Neutrals need to be policed or controlled...???

Maybe I live in a different part of Rubi-Ka, but I have never witnessed a Neutral targetting anything and everthing they can kill in a 25% zone...

It is views such as these that explains the senseless destruction you yourself question....

Why must Omni and Clan feel the need to control Neutrals when we openly cooperate with both factions providing our services and shops freely...

Is it because we do not support you view and wish to distance oursleves from your conflict you feel the need to "Control" us?

Or is it that you envy us because we actually strive to live our lives in peace that you feel the need to "Control" us?
    ~*~ Nanoprincess ~*~
    Katelin Cyani Kerans

By "controlled" I HARDLY mean "policed."

Anyway, you outline what is wrong with this planet in your own statements... every comment is instantly viewed in black/white/green/red. You wouldn't EXIST without "our" conflict... but that is beside the point.

By "control" and "neutral" perhaps I could use "administer" and "non-Omni employees." Would that make you happier? My message was that Omni-Tek needs the Clans to "administer" the "non-Omni employees" that are beyond their "administration," so they don't have to spend the resources and conflict to "administer" terrain, cities, and people who are "non-Omni employees" and stop the "Clans" from "killing everyone" who isn't a "non-Omni employee."

Is that PC enough for you?

OK, I'd better get back to my agenda of controlling neutrals and all the glor- Oh, wait.

?
    You wouldn't EXIST without "our" conflict... but that is beside the point.

We are self sufficient, yes we do benefit from trading between Omni and Clan, but I would hardly say we would not EXIST...

Please what is with your Holy Crusade and our existence is purely a by product of your conflict with Omni....

I believe you to have an identity crises as far as existence is concerned..

You would not exist if not for Omni-Tek...

Neutrals would exist regardless as the merchants and traders and inhabitants that we are...
    We are simply not employed by Omni-Tek and wish to not take part in the Clans conflict with Omni-Tek....

Hence Neutral!!!

And still why do you feel the need to "Administer" the Neutrals

Yes we live in Cities built and provided by Omni-Tek ...
    Guess what? So do you!!!
    We administer ourselves just fine and Omni-Tek is fine with that...
    I very seriously doubt if Omni-Tek felt they needed to "Administer" the Neutrals they would call upon the Clans to do so...

Pride is one thing... and I respect the fact that you stand strong for your cause...

Ignorance and a Closed mind is something I detest...
    Last edited by Cyani; Apr 7th, 2002 at 18:55:20.
    ~*~ Nanoprincess ~*~
    Katelin Cyani Kerans

Originally posted by Cyani
    Please what is with your Holy Crusade and our existence is purely a by product of your conflict with Omni....
    My my, self-righteous today, aren't we?

Ah, yes, I forgot the freedom and independent ownership of land that FLOURISHED on Rubi-Ka before the Clans began fighting. The "Good Ol' Days", I believe they were called.

Hm, wait, no...

And still why do you feel the need to "Administer" the Neutrals
    Well, it seems that your education facilities are poor, for one. Then again, you do seem pretty skilled at twisting things around.

I feel like I was walking down the street with a butter knife looking for some bread to butter, and you walked up, hit me in the head, replaced it with a Rider Executioner, put it to your neck, and screamed for help.

(OOC: "Help! Help! I am being repressed!")

Buffy ****ing Summers, I wish that anyone on this planet could look at anything as NOT a personal attack on their values.

"Oh no, she said 'control the northern territories!' That means repress the Neutrals!"

Coulda fooled me.

Unhappy This is no longer a debate

This has turned into you sidestepping your previous statements...

Omni needs the Clans to keep order in the Northern Territories (so they don't have to admister them and control neutrals),
    "Oh no, she said 'control the northern territories!' That means repress the Neutrals!"
    Well, it seems that your education facilities are poor, for one. Then again, you do seem pretty skilled at twisting things around.
    I try to contain my laughter......

Perhaps you need to grasp the concept of contradiction and twisting statements around yourself.....

Education?
    I am constantly learning and willing to learn ....
    You my friend lack the wisdom and education that is being Humble and having an Open mind.

You wouldn't EXIST without "our" conflict... but that is beside the point.
    My my, self-righteous today, aren't we?
    I'm self-rightous?

When did I state that your existance is do to my presense on Rubi-Ka?

The failure to communicate the idea that Neutrals have nothing to do with your conflict and that you have no right to declare youself our keepers or "Administrators" shows that we will never see eye to eye......

It is really ashamed that "Some Clans" (Not neccessarily yours) feel we should be greatful for their struggle to live in a free Rubi-Ka and yet are blind to see our struggle as Neutrals to live in a peaceful and free Rubi-Ka as well.....

Your answer as to WHY?

Someone such as yourself with such a closed and clouded mind that is not willing you to see any view other than their own as the truth is why there is conflict on Rubi-Ka....
    ~*~ Nanoprincess ~*~
    Katelin Cyani Kerans

Well I figgure that someone else should say somethin. Way I sees it the only difference between the neutral type people and the Clan type people is us Clanners do be willin ta fight fer freedom from Omni type peoples and the neutrals just sit on their butts sayin "Hey thanks fer bleedin, and gettin killed, and stuff so we can be free".

Only reason you neutral type peoples are slaves to the omni type people is cause us Clan type peoples fight to keep ya free.
    Oren "Ironheel" Fadri
    Clan Enforcer

Unhappy free from what?

Well as a neutral I have no problem with omni control of the resources of the planet, their lease will end and then others can use it. I don't have a fight with omni, yet I don't work for them.

I also have no fight with clans, if they want to fight omni then they can, doesn't bother me.

I live on the planet without the need to fight omni or clan.

You think that if there were no clans we would all be slaves to omni?

Interesting views..
    I am glad that there are neutral people on Rubi-Ka. Without them, who would be the balance between OT and the clans? Those who do not wish to take part in the conflict have the option to do so by being neutral and living in their cities - Newland and Borealis - provided by Omni-Tek. There is no need to "control" the neutrals and Omni-Tek certainly doesnt need the clans to do anything like this. If anything we would need the clans to end their little rebellion and return to OT what is rightfully ours. Those who refuse to do so, are thieves. Unfortunately, the political base for the current territorial balance on Rubi-Ka is dragged into the mud day by day.. namely the Tir Accords. Not just by Clan members, also by OT employees. Neutrals are lucky that they do not have to follow many rules, but if it comes to the worst, neutrals are under Omni-Tek administration, as stated in the Tir Accords. Never forget this. As long as Omni-Tek can defend itself (which it will be capable of until the end of time) neutrals can live free wherever they want. Clans however are an opposition to our rightful lease of the planet, thus we are not very friendly to them. Their only bill of rights is the Tir Accords. Without them, all clans would long be gone from the face of Rubi-Ka. Thank god that we have a considerate leader who has the good of all of Rubi-Ka in mind. Philip Ross should be thanked by all of you for if it wasnt for him, Rubi-Ka would be Omni-Tek and Omni-Tek alone.
    Director "Meister"
    President, Omni-Pol
    Level 207 Omni-Tek Dictator
    Meister's Reinforced Suit - Bureaucrats may be gimps, but at least we know how to look good.
    Account Created: 2001-06-27 23:07:32

Why I am Me

Oh dear…where to start. I suppose I should begin in the correct frame of mind, and the best way of doing that of late appears to be to take a step back, take a deep breath, and ask yourself “Why am I me?”

I don’t expect you to do something I haven’t tried myself, so allow me to explain my own conclusions, then perhaps you will be more willing to ask yourself the same question.

I am Neutral. I am Neutral because I choose to be, basing my choice on my perception of the available alternatives.

On the one hand, there is Omni. A society brainwashed into forgetting their lack of freedom and the problems they face, conveniently brushing them under the carpet and dealing with those who question their policies with an iron fist. Through fear of the potential to become victims themselves, their society strives to reach positions of power by any means necessary, leading to corruption. Of course, some may actually consider Neutrality having witnessed the maturity of our members, but something holds them back. Have you seen how dangerous Neutral zones have become of late? Innocent bartenders get sprayed with bullets while traders become engulfed in Plasma for no apparent reason! Oh, unless of course you count the merit system which grades the performance of Omni staff on their kill ratings. Of course, I am a little bias here having had my father die in their custody for underhand dealings, but such dealings would never have appealed to him if life within the organisation was not so stifling. Then of course there is the interrogation I suffered for offering information I believed would save innocent lives, but that is another story.

On the other hand there is Clan, a force opposed to the Omni system. Unfortunately they do this by resorting to terrorist activities, encouraging the very policies within Omni that make them clamp down so hard on freedom. Omni feel a need to protect themselves, and so, further freedoms are removed from the populace, while those in power take it upon themselves to ignore the advice of level headed superiors and retaliate. Certainly Omni are in need of refining their civil liberty record, but while Clan continues to oppose them with violence, they will progressively become more jumpy and trigger happy. It is a vicious circle, with no grounds for continuation other than the blood lust of participants.

I went shopping in Meetmadere recently, and was approached by a young vagabond who proceeded to lay blows upon me. Fortunately, I was able to roll with them long enough to voice protest and declare my Neutrality, pointing out that I had no argument with him, whereupon he withdrew his attack and offered an apology, sparing me the need to draw my weapon. Some two minutes later bullets sprayed before my feet from another, so again, I remained calm and announced my Neutrality, whereupon my assailant shouted that if I was not an Omni then I was to be considered an enemy, and that I should choose a side if I wished to live. I politely informed the fellow that I found his method of recruitment more attuned to raising Clan membership, whereupon he announced with great glee that he would enjoy looting my body should I join them, and proceeded to shoot me in the head.

Needless to say, I find the logic of this fellow a trifle disturbing. Perhaps more disturbing however is the increase in like minded individuals on both sides of the conflict. I fail to see exactly what it is they are fighting for other than bloodlust. I can only conclude that they are frustrated that Neutrality is no longer an option to them, having witnessed the relative ease in which our community exists in peace.

I am me because I choose to be, and I see it as my right to have that choice. As a Neutral I choose no side, and know many sensible people on both sides of the conflict, but for how much longer I ask myself?

The peaceful Neutral community is the biggest asset both sides have if they wish to achieve peace, and yet they continue to punish us for not choosing a side. Let this be a warning to you all, we cannot be controlled. The more you try, the more you will push us away. A day will come when you will need our assistance, for the Dust Brigade makes an enemy of us all. I for one am opposed to helping the fellow who shot me in the head. Next time you consider shooting someone, stop and ask yourself why. Who knows, you could be creating a friendship rather than destroying one.

Re: This is no longer a debate

When did I state that your existance is do to my presense on Rubi-Ka?
    Oh, you honestly believe that you and anyone else who wanted it would have their neutral status if the Clans never existed?

Hah.

Yes, Omni would let outside contractors on... but they would still be Omni-employed, not allowed to live freely, trade, start their own businesses on Rubi-Ka.

It is really ashamed that "Some Clans" (Not neccessarily yours) feel we should be greatful for their struggle to live in a free Rubi-Ka and yet are blind to see our struggle as Neutrals to live in a peaceful and free Rubi-Ka as well.....
    Well, that is part of what my message was about. There is no real reason to go to total war. I envision the Clans as guardians of the peace, not warriors or terrorists bent on destroying Omni-Tek. We should step in when and where necessary, not operate to wipe OT off the planet.

Re: Why I am Me

Originally posted by Enerbias
    On the other hand there is Clan, a force opposed to the Omni system. Unfortunately they do this by resorting to terrorist activities, encouraging the very policies within Omni that make them clamp down so hard on freedom.
    Now, this is where I agree. The Clans should not be an aggressive army fighting to rid RK of Omni-Tek. They were never started to do such a thing, and we have fought alongside Omni to maintain the stability of this planet.

I think the real blow came when the immigration was opened up. Thousands of hotheaded idealists flooded Rubi-Ka, with no goal other than destruction. These are the terrorists - these rogue "Clanners" who have no right to take that name.

The peaceful Neutral community is the biggest asset both sides have if they wish to achieve peace, and yet they continue to punish us for not choosing a side.
    I agree. The Dust-esque rhetoric is asinine. Neutrals are what the Clans should hope EVERYONE can be.

?

Guess what? So do you!!!

I have to disagree there. Tir was built by the clans. Athens, yes that was built by OT, hence the REAL name Omni-2.

I like your last statement, "Ignorance and a closed mind is something I detest...."

Take a dose of your own medicine.

Wink

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ?

Guess what? So do you!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to disagree there. Tir was built by the clans. Athens, yes that was built by OT, hence the REAL name Omni-2.

I like your last statement, "Ignorance and a closed mind is something I detest...."

Take a dose of your own medicine.
    Poor Cyblade7 ........

I am Neutral, I don't live in Tir, and the closing statement was a generalization of the post in it's entirety...

Since this debate Razishlyat has made very clear rebuttals and has agreed with many points I initially tried to convey....

I agree. The Dust-esque rhetoric is asinine. Neutrals are what the Clans should hope EVERYONE can be.
    This final statement by Razishlyat earns well deserved respect from me. I applaud her for maintaining composure and debating this issue regardless of my earlier ill mannered temper....

Simply put many Neutrals get no respect from either of the factions...

We are often referred to as fence sitters and seen as having no cause or place on Rubi-Ka... This is far from the truth.....
    ~*~ Nanoprincess ~*~
    Katelin Cyani Kerans

Ah, why thank you. We certainly don't agree on many things - people shouldn't - but we are at least able to talk. Incredibly rare, these days, on Rubi-Ka.

Unfortunately, I seem to be a rebel among rebels. Many Clanners clammor for the death of Omni-Tek, but are clueless as to what to do afterwards (neverminding the fact that they imagine bringing down the largest entity in the galaxy, that succeeded in pretty much winning a galactic corporate war). Neutrals are they key to what happens when the lease expires. Without Omni-Tek entirely, there is nothing - complete anarchy. Rule of the MOST POWERFUL, with no one to stop them. And before any of our organizations begin thinking that we will be the most powerful, you clearly underestimate the scope of the situation. The sheer amount of firepower that will be thrown at Rubi-Ka the DAY Omni-Tek vanishes would be staggaring. Omni-Tek has nothing on what would form after that day.

The Clans and the Neutrals are the key. Omni-Tek is preparing, already, for this time to come. The Clans aren't. We're just pissing ourselves whining about Omni-Tek. What land do you think will be the first to be grabbed when the lease expires? Don't you think that Omni knows this? And then there are the Neutrals... already independent, business-capable people. Wait, so why are we spending our efforts fighting Omni-Tek again? Why can't we save it, structure ourselves, get more people Neutral and strengthen the concept of citizenship of Rubi-Ka, not some faction?

Right now, I would place my Yalmaha on the Dust Brigade being funded by an outside faction - such as Sol Banking Corporation. They didn't get where they are alone. They have serious muscle behind them - and frankly, both the Clanners supporting Dust and the Omnis blaming the Clans for Dust are simple tools of this plot.

The other theory, that Omni supports Dust to give them an excuse to level the Clans and extend their lease, seems less plausable to me today. Omni has shown no backbone in the past, nor any interest in extending their lease.

The greatest threat to anyone on Rubi-Ka comes from outside. I do not know what the situation is in Omni-1 right now, but in the North it is near anarchy, and we will be the first to fall, defenseless against whatever comes. Then who will there be to safeguard freedom, and, yes, neutrality?

Hmmm you seem perty smart Vrach but I got question. If most people become no fightin neutral type peoples who gonna stop Omni from takin over and makin all us slaves again?
    Oren "Ironheel" Fadri
    Clan Enforcer

Question

I can understand what your saying Vrach and I would probably have had the same feeling if I had to walk behind UF , but to me your story/plea sounds odd to say the least. Why? let me tell you why.

You say the attack and counter attack tactic leads to nothing that's probably so,but the clans didn't start this, it started back when the amnesty was in effect and OT divisions attacked West Athen time and again. The clans didn't respond to those attacks, this resulted in a big morale hit among a lot of clans. 3305 local being one of them. By counter attacking after each OT attack we show the big and mighty Omni Tek corperation. We will not tolerate their aggression against the clans and that we can hurt them as much as they can hurt us. I do not favor war, I can live perfectly with the Tir accord but that requires Omni-Tek to uphold it. I will stand and fight for the rights of the clan, even if that forces us to drive OT from Rubi-Ka.

You also claim we need OT, that's factually incorrect we have fought and almost won a war agains Omni-Tek. We have been to within 50 miles of Omni-1 before the cease fire came in effect. surely OT didn't supply us during that war, we survived without Omni-Tek's help, we even beat them without their help.

"For one, the Clans have lost all coherency. We fight vaguely for "freedom," but what that is has hardly been outlined. The way I see it, neither side has a reason to fight, other than bloodthirsty parties calling for the extermination of each other. "

This is a quote from your post and I have to agree with alot of what you say, yes the clans have lost most of their coherency and yes alot of bloodthirsty parties roam the face of Rubi-Ka. But wasn't GVRK among one of the first large clans to declare war on OT? and doesn't that make GVRK one of those "bloodthirsty parties" you blame the current problem on? And isn't it so that by going behind the CoT's back GVRK is largely responsible for causing that loss of coherency because by doing so they have split the clans in to 2 camps. Those in favor of peace and those wanting war?

I know you write this as a person and not as an officer of the GVRK, but is that possible? You are an officer of the GVRK, that makes you as much part of the problems you so eloquently bring to our attention, as anyone else, who in your mind is the cause of the problems you describe.
    Last edited by Ensign M; Apr 9th, 2002 at 15:58:19.
    "Omni-Tek protects"?
    So does Durex, so what?"

-Caloss2

Originally posted by Ironheel
    Hmmm you seem perty smart Vrach but I got question. If most people become no fightin neutral type peoples who gonna stop Omni from takin over and makin all us slaves again?
    The place of the Clans is as guardians of the peace.

Should Omni-Tek play its old games, they should know that there is a dedicated force to stopping them. The Clans need to exist, but they need to be the smaller faction, taking reserves from the Neutrals should real fighting kick up.

I won't speak for them, but I imagine that Neutrals would defend themselves against either side.

Originally posted by Ensign M
    [reference]
    Yes, I understand what you are saying. When I say that we rely on Omni-Tek, I probably phrase it wrong.

What Omni-Tek provides is stability and protection. They are, themselves, a shield against outside influences, which is both good and bad. It gives us independence, whereas without Omni's strong arm, as it were, someone like Sol could come in and basically recreate Omni in Clan territory, leaving us out to dry.

The Clans are hardly organized enough to maintain the terraforming in the Perpetual Wastes, Mort, Wailing Wastes, and Avalon. Hell, we aren't even organized enough to ship notum. I think that any independent move by the Clans to do this would result in internal fighting. We simply aren't a united force, and have a very weak central power structure that could never cope with that kind of challenge.

As for GVRK being active in fighting Omni-Tek...

GVRK has changed its political tone a great deal - made it more mature and refined, directed it, as opposed to blindly going along and fighting Omni at every turn. We still have a lot of issues regarding this, and we are still very much, as a whole, opposed to Omni and more than willing to fight them when the situation demands it. It is something I am trying to work on. I myself am willing to help fight against Omni, provided the fight is not blind.

For instance, GVRK did an assault on Omni-1 to rescue a new arrival who Omni-Pol had deemed a spy. They switched his side info to Clan, and ordered the guards to shoot on sight. GVRK attacked the guards so he could slip away, and escorted him out. This is a task where the ends was something beyond "killing Omni," and the type of action we will take in the future. I was arrested in that attack. (OOC: Killed, rolled POORLY on d100, set a 1 week timer for me to get freed) GVRK did anothe op to rescue me, by capturing the hard coded insurance info when it was en route to Omni-Reform, and uploading it in the one safe place- the 0% zone in the middle of Omni-1. That took 20 minutes to do, and unfortunately, some Omni employees attacked us, and had to be dealt with. Another example; when Caol spied on our meeting and managed to intercept the plans for the attack outlined above, we chased him to Stret West, where we engaged TDC at the Omni-Pol facility, unfortunately being too late (damn timers) to stop them from broadcasting our data.

All of these operations have some common base: They have a defined goal, and balance risk with reward. THIS is how the Clans should operate - not by randomly terrorizing Omni citizens and guards like Omnis have been doing to us, but by intervening where necessary to make Rubi-Ka a better place.

It doesn't help that there aren't many people in the Clans who are friendly to my point of view. Omnis hate me in general. Neutrals have no wish to support either side.

In short, I look at a delicate political balance on Rubi-Ka, and I don't see the point in disrupting it, especially when we approach such a crucial turning point in Rubi-Ka's history. We need all the stability and resources to keep this planet the way we know it, rather than being a corporate battlefield.

Salve1 Leader of Freedom's Edge clan.

Some of us arn't looking for power or controll of anyone else.

I have a proposal that has been turned down by the CoT many times.

1) the 3 factions Omni, Neutrals, and Clans. Each get to controllthe notrum, and political feeling in the area they are in.

2) if one invades the other, the third is meadiator. what they say goes.

3) each faction gets there own method of voting for the council, the others have no say one it.

4) The three factions, have a invasion reation force. If anyone not of Rubi-Ka does anything, A united force repels the attacks.

5) The council of 3 would have all rights to deal with all outside influences.

The only people we should be at war with are, Sol Banking, and the Dust Brigade. Sol banking is funding the DB. Terror has no place in this conflict. If the DB wouldn't be murdering people, then there would be something more then what we have now. I am not saying we would be at peace, But we wouldn't be where we are now.

Salve1 111 doc, Leader of Freedom's Edge. Clan, Rubi-2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast