Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homo Solitus and derivatives, remember your history.

((Well, if we want to look at RL a little more closely to have a comparison, in quite a horrible way, I'm pretty sure that most of the people who work for Nestle or any other mega-corp never quit their job just because their multinational employer was 'accidentally destroying the rainforest when doing their business. And I'm pretty sure also that most people who wear Nike sportshoes don't mind as well if they've been crafted by children in some factory in a third-world country. So to me, who are we to scream about "my company is founded by eeeeevil people" anyway? People currently working for OT probably wouldn't care, the same way we, human beings, don't really care IRL. "The crowd" never cares, it's a known fact. Or they wouldn't really remember the Omega, or think they 'have changed', or whatever.

/raises an eyebrow

A thing that strikes me though is that, many RPer are now complaining that they find this too much of an enforcement on 'OT is evil'... but... I am yet to see any statement from people deciding to *stay on the inside* to fight the evil IN the corporation. Not the whole Omni-Tek is filled by Omegas - but why does no RPer, or at least I am still to read them on these boards, state that they're staying OT, not because they feel evil, but because by doing so, they may help in slowing down the evil? Of course, we can't really change anything, but we can RP the attempt... ah, bah.

Just my 2 cents... Actually, if Dem was to meet an Omega, she'd probably try to find her true motives first... and consider her a dead race anyway, a missed step in the evolution. Huhu. After all, the Solitus evolved through survival... what did the Omega do, except inject nanobots in their bodies ))
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

Originally posted by Gestava
    Even if this information is correct, which I highly doubt, you think it is fair to judge a person because of their race?
    I never accused the Omega of being evil. They are however the ememy of Homo Solitus until peace is declared, the Omega/Solitus war ended as the Omega were believed destroyed, not because some form of accord was reached.

Secondly it is wrong to judge an individual upon the actions of their race, however races have generations, where the sins of the father/mother should not be automaticly passed to the son/daughter. The Omega are imortal, any that survive are the same Omega the enslaved the Solitus.

If indeed it is an Omega you have found, how can you naturally assume they have malicious intentions?
    The omega lost control of their Solitus slaves, they never signed a peace accord, they never gave up. There is still war between our races.

The Omega/Solitus war was almost 20 thousand years ago. I think it is worrying that you are so swift to label this person, of which you know nothing about aside from your so called "scientific evidence", as evil.
    I labled him as Omega, by scientific study, the rest is up to ICC and the planetary govenments of all Solitus colonised worlds.

How would you like if I labelled all nanomages as evil because of the actions of the Nanomage Liberation Front? Unfair you say? That's what I thought.
    Again I have labled no one evi.

For all you know, the Omega could be here to share their knowledge of nanotechnology with Omni-tek for the betterment of all employees.
    I hope for all our sakes this is not true, or Rubi-Ka will become the center of a war that is bigger that any of us has ever seen.
    Last edited by SM; Oct 4th, 2003 at 22:19:19.
    Vedanthi Urdth Tskalt the Norn Sisters.
    Nullprogram Kreuzritter Voluspa the Others.

((OOC:

Demenzia, two reasons (for why people don't do anything from inside the company) that I can think of:

First, an IC reason: not enough information IC yet to decide what the situation really is; whether OT really is incluenced by someone and whether this someone really is evil. I will get around to reacting to this IC at some point, don't you worry, but right now my characters are just waiting to see what all this ruckus is about.

Second, an OOC reason: still being stunned and annoyed by this change in storyline. And then a clarification: when I say "forcing down that Omnitek is evil" I don't mean forcing down the idea that all omni employees are evil: as far as I've seen there's so far been none of that, thank gods. I simply mean the forcing down the fact that the company is evil. Even this is something I don't personally like.

))

Wether a peace treaty was signed or not is not the point. The point is that the Omega were wiped out (or apparently fled if some still remain as you claim) and the war *effectively* ended. A document doesnt end a war, actions does.

There has been no signs of any attempts at genocide or enslavement of the Solitus race recently as far as I know. Again you label the whole race as evil. If a country is at war with another country that does not automatically mean that all of the inhabitants support the war. In the same way it is naive to think that all Omega were completely devoted to keeping the Solitus race enslaved.

Finally, even if these Omega are some of those who worked actively to supress the Solitus race almost 20 millenia ago, I think that it is reasonable to think that after 20 *thousand* years of reflection they might have changed their opinion of things.

I hardly think it's appropriate to try to prosecute people for crimes commited before the dawn of modern civilisation.

I advise you to put aside your pre-disposed opinion of the Omega and see through the stigma of evil and instead approach them with an open mind.

Wether a peace treaty was signed or not is not the point. The point is that the Omega were wiped out (or apparently fled if some still remain as you claim) and the war *effectively* ended. A document doesnt end a war, actions does.
    Ahh, fantastic counter there, fight fact with ignorance. This is why we have declarations of war, peace treaties, and articles of surrender. Sure it takes the actions of many valliant individuals to bring about the conditions for these things to take place, but without them, war is still war.
    There has been no signs of any attempts at genocide or enslavement of the Solitus race recently as far as I know. Again you label the whole race as evil. If a country is at war with another country that does not automatically mean that all of the inhabitants support the war. In the same way it is naive to think that all Omega were completely devoted to keeping the Solitus race enslaved.
    The Omega Wiped out almost all like on earth to create Homo Solitus. When they emerged to take dominion over Earth they did so not by simply occupying terratory, they _enslaved_ the people. Solitus were bred in camps for work or to be given as property to their Omega masters. Note that all though this time the Omega maintained a democratic council to address Omega matters. Perhaps you would like to show me where petitions for Solitus equality were lodged by the Omega. The sentence for Solitus refusing an order was death. This lasted for 10 _thousand_ years. That is a hell of a track record
    Finally, even if these Omega are some of those who worked actively to supress the Solitus race almost 20 millenia ago, I think that it is reasonable to think that after 20 *thousand* years of reflection they might have changed their opinion of things.
    I love your optimism, its a rare comodity in the modern world, however if they didn't change their minds in 10 thousand years, why should 20 thousand more make so much of a differance?
    I hardly think it's appropriate to try to prosecute people for crimes commited before the dawn of modern civilisation.
    Just reminding you that the reason that "modern civilisation" didn't start 10 thousand years earlier is that the Omega Almost wiped out the human race and enslaved the eventual survivors.
    I advise you to put aside your pre-disposed opinion of the Omega and see through the stigma of evil and instead approach them with an open mind.
    Again with the philosophy, as I said "evil" is nothing more than a linguistic lable for actions. Was the enslavement of the Solitus people "evil"? Yes it was. Was the near-eradication of the human race "evil"? Yes it was. Are these same Omega guilty of these war crimes? Yes they are. Leave the question of whether an invididual Omega is "evil" to the philosophers, and the job of executing war criminals to those authorised to do so.
    I just hope, that when the time comes, I am one of those authorised to do just that.
    Last edited by SM; Oct 4th, 2003 at 01:58:42.

however if they didn't change their minds in 10 thousand years, why should 20 thousand more make so much of a differance?
    ----------------------------------
    Leave the question of whether an invididual Omega is "evil" to the philosophers, and the job of executing war criminals to those authorised to do so.
    This is a clanner speaking, right?

No, I don't know you, but it's easy to guess. It seems it's always been the trademark of clans not to see past history to the modern day. This is just a continuation to the standard arguments:

"OmniTek was bad once, so they must be bad today too",

"it's not about individuals; since OmniTek is evil all omni employees must be evil too", and

"let's authorize ourselves to kill omni citizens".

Now you've only replaced "OmniTek" with "Omega".

(( OOC: I hope you don't mind my character's annoyed tone; the player-me is much more nicer and less aggressive and likes this roleplay very much. ))

--
    Meda "Grues" Shenkel
    Initiate Nano-Technician
    Member of Shattered Dreams
    Borealis, Rubi-Ka (Rimor)

[*whispers* Ahem...there is an in-game referance...In the War Academy in Athen Shire, there's a wise old man who will tell you a little about history and the Omegas if you ask him. *sneaks back out*]

OCC
    Originally posted by Grues
    OOC: I hope you don't mind my character's annoyed tone; the player-me is much more nicer and less aggressive and likes this roleplay very much.
    NP Grues, I expected people to take the counter argument, gives Vedanthi the oppertunity to get hot under the collar, she's been taking too much flack and being way too nice recently.

Lillemjau: Thanks, I'm definatly going to check that out.
    Ummm, I just circled the Acadamy and its environs, don't suppose you could indulge me with some co-ords?
    /OCC

This is a clanner speaking, right?
    No, I don't know you, but it's easy to guess.?
    Actually you do Grues, I posted on your personal Grid-blog from a Clan Homo-Nano perspective. Nice to see you on my Grid-blog.

It seems it's always been the trademark of clans not to see past history to the modern day. This is just a continuation to the standard arguments:
    "OmniTek was bad once, so they must be bad today too",
    "it's not about individuals; since OmniTek is evil all omni employees must be evil too", and
    "let's authorize ourselves to kill omni citizens".
    Now you've only replaced "OmniTek" with "Omega"..
    Ok, lets do just that, with slight additional modification for accuracy.
    Originally posted by Vedanthi
    Again with the philosophy, as I said "evil" is nothing more than a linguistic lable for actions. Was the enslavement of the Atrox people "evil"? Yes it was. Was the near-eradication of the Notum Miners "evil"? Yes it was. Are these same Omni guilty of these war crimes? No they are not. Leave the question of whether an invididual Omni is "evil" to the philosophers, and the job of executing war criminals to those authorised to do so. "
    Note the differances. Why do I fight Omni? because I want to live here on Rubi-ka in freedom and peace. I can't live anywhere else due to my dependance on notum. Do I want all Omni employee's executed, No. Do I want Omni-Tek as a corporation destroyed? No. Would I consider the use of perma-death technology on Omni-Tek employees? No.

But the Omega are a different matter entirely, my point here is that at least one is alive and fighting for the Unredeemed/Inamorta/Chosen, and that is is my understanding that OT employees are being encouraged to ally with with organisation/race. So I wan't to make everyone aware so they can make their own choices.

Would I fight side by side with Omni, ICC, Sol banking against the Omega? Yes I would.

To repeat, choose your side wisely.
    Last edited by SM; Oct 4th, 2003 at 22:24:46.

I don't see

a) how is OmniTek threatening your peace and freedom currently, or

b) how are the Omega a different thing altogether.

Maybe I'm just stupid... but I think there are some more likely explanations, too.

--
    Meda "Grues" Shenkel
    Initiate Nano-Technician
    Member of Shattered Dreams
    Borealis, Rubi-Ka (Rimor)

ah, I'm sorry, I hadn't realised you were a clanner. Should have guessed of course...must be getting old.

The Unredeemed are the masters of this planet now. Everything else is inconsequential. The Clans, ICC...yes, even Omni-tek itself.

The Unredeemed wish only to unleash the full potential of of us. If they choose to associate themselves with the Omega, then I am sure they are doing it in the interests of furthering that goal.

What you are really worried about is that your anti-government criminal behaviour will be cut short. And I agree, your fear is well founded.
    The Unredeemed will do what Omni-tek has failed to do so far. Bring an end to this insolent insurgence and restore order to Rubi-ka and, eventually, the rest of the galaxy.

If you embrace the Unredeemed now you have nothing to fear. If you oppose them, then it should hardly come as a surprise that they will subjugate you in any way and with any means they find fitting.

This is not a threat, it is a statement of facts.

I...... see.
    I must admit I've always felt I understood the Omni-Tek mentality and even sympathised with it at times, and I hold no love for the Sentinels.

But if this is what OT is becomming now, if this is what they feel they can justify.

I think the future holds only blood

((All I know is that if it's evil, I'm on that side. To me, that's a fun way to play. I'm a nice, polite person in real life and when I play a game like this, I prefer to cut loose a bit. If OT or Unredeemed or the Omega are the bad guys, I'll be there at their side. I *want* OT to be the bad guys, but it gets to be difficult with all of the grey areas. ))
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

(( OOC:

My problem seems to be that I don't want to believe in the bad guys. I have nothing against a bad guy here and there (and Grues is not exactly a good guy herself) - I actually like the setting where most of us are bad guys, just in different ways. And I've seen a lot in both Clans and Omni in this game, so there is room for playing evil amongst all the gray shades. So far I've enjoyed this a lot.

This thread convinces me that the gray shades are not going anywhere; people seem to be clever enough not to take the official truth as The Truth.

The lack of further IC comments is intentional.

))

Omega

((One thing I think needs to be pointed out, at the end of PwH, Roman is approached by Vayna, his contact back in 1949 who helps him escape Russia. Vayna shows Roman then truth, that "They" are the puppeteers and that the omega were helping "They"re cause, first Roman, then Farma-tek, then Omni-tek. So the Omega arent nessissary "evil" as we dont quite know "They"re reason, or do we?

Now, as far as life on Earth, whos to say that there isnt Omni schools and ICC schools? A person growing up in the pure confines of Omni life, wouldnt nessissary learn the history of earth that might be taught in an ICC school. Thus the omega arent bad people, but people who brought forth all of the technology that we take for granted on Rubi-ka.

Now as we venture into the shadowlands (IF we venture into the shadowlands IC) we see that the omega are still present, in this new land. If we venture deeped into SL we meet the Beast, who guards the source. The conflict of Omni v Clan shows up in SL, as we learn that the factions are warring over control of the source and its use. However, like the argument above about ICC v OT schools, each side claims they are the side doing good.

After playing this game for a while and not really paying close attention to the storyline, I finally bought PwH and read it. Some of the things I still have brewing in my head are the following:

!) To spawn an Omega in SL, you have to kill a prophet. Now according to Vayna at the end of the book, the prophets are the agents of "They". Why would you kill a prophet to get the omega? Shouldnt it be the other way around?

2)Who are "They", the Xan?

3a) Are the Kyr'ozch also agents of "They"

3b) If the Kyr'ozch are agents as well as the Homo Omega, are they the "hackers" that modified Ergo's code or was that "They" or was it the Omega?

4) What will the rising conflict of OT and Clan, and the increasing threat of Kyr'ozch in the upcoming LE bring to the storyline? Will ICC become even more prodominate in curbing OT or will they lose controll themselves?
    ))
    - "Your suffering will be legendary, even in hell!" - Pinhead, Hellraiser

((OOC: Putting the "romance" back into "necromancer", I see. ;-) ))
    Executing Nano Program: Gift of Assurance. Target has not enough nano controlling units (NCU) left. Swordbreaker: Not enough NCU. O_o Fixichong: FFS Fixichong: ive failed as a fixer Fixichong: i quit

One of the first of those people who put the Infused Dust Brigade Engineer Pistol (2,7k ME/EE making req) + Infused Master Engineer Pistol on the same Engineer before any updates that fixed anything (including the original sync issues inside the DB instance), lolz!11

IC ways to learn about omega

well those wanting to know about omega should talk to the patron of omni doctors, Dr.Henrik Stevenson at Pos: 776.3, 1635.7, 30.0, Area: Secondary Omni-Tek Base. he will take some coaxing but will tell u a bit about them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12