Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Roots...TO POWERFUL

Angry Roots...TO POWERFUL

Well, Ganked again by a group of people with roots. I just think it is annoying as an engineer that I can be killed by anybody of any level with roots. Of course engineers best weapon (or should be) is the pistol. Not only does the pistol do NOTHING for damage...it has no range. I am not so upset about that, but here is the situtuation that happened to me the other day.

I am a level 140 engineer. I was fighting at aces (which is a whole other thread about the ganking there) and we all decided to save. I got into my jet and began to fly off to a save point. Well....what do you know...clanners. I was suddenly stuck to the ground...in my jet....sitting there...unable to heal...or attack, because of long range weapons. My slayer...sitting there with a thumb up its ***. Oops..that is 3 mil xp down the toilet.

There are so many classes with roots. They last for 5+ minutes. and then the whole area can be rooted..no problem, and with no agro from the monsters in that area.

What is an engineer to do? We have no defense against root, no root ourselves, nano resist is crap, and so forth. Here is an idea...how about a line of ANTI-ROOT nanos. You would still have to take the time to cast it...so it is not instant, but it would even the odds a little.

I think the classes without root should get this one. Other than armor, engineers really have crap for nanos. Great...I can get +1400 armor and +114 weapon speed and +120 pistol...but that is it. What good is armor if we are rooted? Great..I can now take more damage...and it takes about 2 hits more to kill me..but I am rooted..they have 5+ minutes to do it. Not a big concern for them. Hell..Mp's get about everything. Something has to be done to even the odds. I am tired of getting killed by some level 110 guy with root.

I know I am not the only one who feels this way. If it was not for root's supreme power, the game would just be fantastic. I don't care about the trader's skill removal....that is what traders do. But for GOD'S SAKE...DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE ROOTS. They are being abused in the worst way. How about a new line of nanos for the ENG....then people of high level will want to team with us again. Once we get to a certain level, we are pretty much worthless compared to most other classes who can dish out the punishment much faster than me and my bot put together.

Nerfing is not the solution here...just make some ANTI-ROOT nanos. Just even it out a bit. Heck..make high level general nanos so EVERYBODY has a chance to de-root. I really don't care..just make some nanos that can deal with this abuse.

140 Engineer: Lastjourney

Whether by bug or design, all incompetence/inexperience nanos will deroot you.

I say "whether by bug or design" because in UO, which I played for years, trapped pouches would break roots. For the first year of the game, this was considered an exploit. After that, it became a game mechanic, and is now ok.

So, I really have no clue whether it's a bug or by design (damage should break roots, anyway).

...and btw, if you really do get ganked in an incredibly unfair advantage, just /terminate - at least you'll keep your loot, deprive them of a pinky, and get a small feeling of 'mwahahaaaa' out of it.

Provisioner

Yeah..that is just gay

Great....that is the solution...why didn't I think of that..I should just kill myself all the time when rooted...it is all so clear now. Give me a break. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. In the end..I am still dead. Your solution is pathetic and laughable. I have tried that inexperience nano thing..it never works. They took that bug out of the game....REMEMBER....they did it a few patches ago.

So..now that your solutions are VERY MOOT,..and your most USEFUL suggestion was self termination....and it was not useful at all, anybody else here have something INTELLIGENT to say.

P.S. if you put loot in bags...they can't get it when they kill you..because the bag was on you when you saved last

You seem stressed.

1) If you are rooted, you can break it with a inexperience buff. If you are in your yalm, forget it, you're dead anyway (If you're outgunned, I hope someone can kill you in under 10 seconds - if not, you're not outgunned.) So, my 'solution' was TO USE THE ****ING NANO to break the root. Oh yeah, breaking roots worked last night, so I'm not sure why it doesn't work for you.
    2) By other alternative, if people are really being dicks, is to /terminate to deprive them of any reward.

Jeez, don't they teach reading in grammar school anymore?

And I thought I was helping you by posting...**** it, why bother any more until the maturity level around here increases...?

Grow up, child, it's just a ****ing game.

Provisioner

God, another flame war. Anyways, the inexperience nanos still work. I still use it all the time (you may have to cast it two or three times before the root breaks). Funcom never fixed it. Hopefully, they never will. And yes, if you're in a plane, you can't do jack. Roots are evil. I hate roots too. Thanks for the tip on the backpack.

Breaking roots

I had never had anybody tell me to cast it SEVERAL times. I cast it and it never does anything...I will try that several time thing. As for your talking about my "immaturity" I think it is safe to say that your suggestion about "self-termination" was counter to what I am trying to say..and pointless in the topic. Just put it in your bag..and you don't lose it.....simple

If you want to give helpful advice...give specific advice.

Even with the inexperience nano..it is still pathetic that you have to use a bug to get out of a root.

There must be direct action taken to resolve this...

I can see how being rooted with no recourse is aggravating. But, the same holds true for a casting-class being burst/fling/auto in under 2 seconds with no recourse.

Currently, the best tactic for a casting class is to root their opponent in order to get out of most weapon ranges. Then the casting class begins their assault in a safe distance. Of course, this only works for the first shot or so since damage breaks roots.

If you propose to nullify the effect of roots, then you must also propose another offense to replace the proposed-nerfed one. In my opinion, you cannot remove root effectiveness unless you let casters cast from >40m again; otherwise, you are just nerfing the ability of a class for another class' benefit.

First and foremost, I hate nerfs, they are an excuse for poor game design.

Not to mention, that for say, a fixer, like me, my nano forumla alternatives run from, get really fast, an slow down/root the mob/player. Already doin sad, sad damage, an dont have too many options for what I can or want to do, messing with roots so they work less cant be the only solution.

>>Mp's get about everything.

that seemed a bit out of nowhere in your post :)

I don't quite understand, in your relation to your point, how a MP (or for that matter ANY class) in a Yalm would fair any better?:)

Even outside of Yalm, it makes little difference. I'm neutral, so I'm on everybody's Tab-enemy list (Thx funcom!:)). I never ever PvP myself, because it has become (in my eyes at least) a highly dishonourable thing... even if 15 friends would decide to let me kill them, I would not want the disgraceful title next to my name. that however doesn't mean I don't get PK-ed by grid-campers or just very intelligent people with profound slogans like "JOIN OMNI/CLAN OR DIE" (caps courtesy of the PK-er:)).

So it usually goes like this:
    me: dum-di-dum, I sure got a lot of XP's I'd hate to loose; methinks I'll try to save...
    (assume I'm not in Yalm; obviously in a Yalm I'm just dead and the PK-er can boast of a proud and challenging kill, as usual:)).
    me: goodie, I'm 1.5 meters away from the grid terminal, I think I'll just cli...
    Bam... whopsie, I'm rooted...
    "can't grid while in Fight"

... while frantically trying to buff myself up so I can cast pets (about 1.5 minutes)...
    /shout hey, I'm neutral
    /shout hey, come on, please don't do this :-(
    /shout aww come ON, I just wanna save my freakin' XP's!
    (as my last 10% of health runs out)..
    /shout what kind of perverse pleasure you get out of this, you perverse moron?!?
    ... you have died of weapon damage...

So, I'm not saying MP's aren't awesome - I like playing one; it has it's own challenges to be sure, but that's beside the point I think in this thread; I'm just as dead in PvP as engies are :)
    Some Engies take Vectors (don't know if they're useful or just for show), I don't even bother with weapons; my armor sucks, and my HP is worse:). My pets are really cool and fun to play with when they're not lost behind a table, but in PvP fight they are quite useless...

...and of course, pets are also uncontrolable from Yalm...

I guess I just sorta accept that any PK-er has a free run on me. If they really think they're being cool, I'll curse them a little then move on with my life... :-/

edit: re-reading your post, I arrived at different possible interpretation of your sentence - you do know MP's don't have roots, right?
    Last edited by Nostra343; Apr 3rd, 2002 at 20:15:56.

Re: Roots...TO POWERFUL

Originally posted by LastJourney
    Well, Ganked again by a group of people with roots. I just think it is annoying as an engineer that I can be killed by anybody of any level with roots. Of course engineers best weapon (or should be) is the pistol. Not only does the pistol do NOTHING for damage...it has no range. I am not so upset about that, but here is the situtuation that happened to me the other day.

I am a level 140 engineer. I was fighting at aces (which is a whole other thread about the ganking there) and we all decided to save. I got into my jet and began to fly off to a save point. Well....what do you know...clanners. I was suddenly stuck to the ground...in my jet....sitting there...unable to heal...or attack, because of long range weapons. My slayer...sitting there with a thumb up its ***. Oops..that is 3 mil xp down the toilet.

There are so many classes with roots. They last for 5+ minutes. and then the whole area can be rooted..no problem, and with no agro from the monsters in that area.

What is an engineer to do? We have no defense against root, no root ourselves, nano resist is crap, and so forth. Here is an idea...how about a line of ANTI-ROOT nanos. You would still have to take the time to cast it...so it is not instant, but it would even the odds a little.

I think the classes without root should get this one. Other than armor, engineers really have crap for nanos. Great...I can get +1400 armor and +114 weapon speed and +120 pistol...but that is it. What good is armor if we are rooted? Great..I can now take more damage...and it takes about 2 hits more to kill me..but I am rooted..they have 5+ minutes to do it. Not a big concern for them. Hell..Mp's get about everything. Something has to be done to even the odds. I am tired of getting killed by some level 110 guy with root.

I know I am not the only one who feels this way. If it was not for root's supreme power, the game would just be fantastic. I don't care about the trader's skill removal....that is what traders do. But for GOD'S SAKE...DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE ROOTS. They are being abused in the worst way. How about a new line of nanos for the ENG....then people of high level will want to team with us again. Once we get to a certain level, we are pretty much worthless compared to most other classes who can dish out the punishment much faster than me and my bot put together.

Nerfing is not the solution here...just make some ANTI-ROOT nanos. Just even it out a bit. Heck..make high level general nanos so EVERYBODY has a chance to de-root. I really don't care..just make some nanos that can deal with this abuse.

140 Engineer: Lastjourney
    Ok, first of all roots can not be broken via NF's anymore during combat. Its stated over and over again, although there are a couple occasions where it worked for me.

Second, damage breaks roots, always has always will.

Third, roots are a extremely valuable NF for classes who can't stand toe-to-toe, they are part of the game and to give classes Anti-roots if they don't have them is just insane, it would totally make roots useless.

Roots are here to stay, if you are near someone with a root, your going to get stuck, thats what they are for. If you don't like it, equip a longer range gun and fire back.

What did you expect, classes not to root that Slayer you're touting around with? Should we just let it come close to us and eat us alive?

Get real.

Smile

Originally posted by Nostra343
    ...and of course, pets are also uncontrolable from Yalm...

I guess I just sorta accept that any PK-er has a free run on me. If they really think they're being cool, I'll curse them a little then move on with my life... :-/

edit: re-reading your post, I arrived at different possible interpretation of your sentence - you do know MP's don't have roots, right?
    MP's get one root at very high levels.

oh, right, that must be the Chronos; but I understand that it's been severely nerfed, and isn't really used by MP's anymore?
    at any rate, it takes 723 SI... it's gonna be a looo-ong while before I get there
    (just a meager 86 MP)
    Last edited by Nostra343; Apr 3rd, 2002 at 20:25:08.

Slayer rooted ? Just term it and make another.
    Oh wait, you dont even have 80% of the req skills, you will be penalized more when 14.2 arrives

Yes, OE patch will hurt many of my good friend engys.

Still, roots are uber-important for many aspects of PvM and PvP.

Nerfing them would be insane. It was horrible when you couldn't root before, even now certain people know how to exploit roots, makes no sense for me to fight a MA or Enforcer hand-to-hand.

>>Just term it and make another.

if MP experience is any indication, it's not the *level* of pet that is the problem - it's the fact we'll be long dead before we summon new ones
    and of course, the new pet will be rooted in 0.5 seconds, so not sure what your point is in relation to Rooting and PvP (maybe just to get that OE mini-rant out of your system? )... similarly, for long ranged guns, I unfortunatelly don't have IP's to waste on those :-/

That being said, again, I myself don't have specific complaints against roots. I don't particularly care _how_ I've been PK-ed, truth be told - is it root and nible, soldier alpha strike, ganging up, lvl 150 hitting a lvl 86, taking me out in my yalm - it's all pretty much the same to me

Simple solution. new trade skill item:

Trimmer - Health to Nanoresistance...

Edit
    Oh and increase the resist rate on roots for other professions except fixers. Seems like the resist rate for all roots, regardless of profession, is 100%.
    Last edited by Kuroshio; Apr 3rd, 2002 at 21:19:39.
    History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

Roots and Importance of them

As a NT, without roots, I'm pretty useless. I won't be able to do enough damage with 1 nuke, and if I was a tank mage, I would be mostly able to do toe-to-toe. However, I am not. Its already that I don't have any useful shields (...) don't have anything that boosts my health except for the general NF. Besides that, NTs break the roots themselves when they hit for any kind of damage.
    Calm is only useful for PvM, roots break when damage is applied, nukes won't kill you outright in the first hit (unlike fling > burst > full auto > normal hit). In addition to this, there is black holes, fumbles, and counters.

If you think that root is too powerful, what do you think should even the odds between melee and NF-based classes. Play the devil's advocate for just a moment. What would be the advantage to playing an NT who is PvP'ing versus an Engineer, Metaphysicist, or a Beaurocrat. Or for that matter, an Enforcer or a Martial Artist, who is melee.

Pets have more HP and are a better tank than an NT, and melee'ing classes do significantly more damage over time than nukes do, in addition to BH, Fumbles, and Counters.
    "Rubi-Ka is my home, my life, and my office... who let these people in?" - Madaline "Deaddreamer" Fontanaro
    "If you cancel your account, can I have your stuff?"
    Date of registration 2001-06-29 00:11:50 UTC
    Account status Open
    Next billing 2002-08-04

Now, who's the newbie here?

For the MMORPG Elitists:
    • Explorer:80%
    • Socializer:66%
    • Achiever:33%
    • Killer:20%

Re: Re: Roots...TO POWERFUL

Originally posted by KKrylon

Second, damage breaks roots, always has always will.

What did you expect, classes not to root that Slayer you're touting around with? Should we just let it come close to us and eat us alive?

Get real.
    OK Mr. Get Real...let me explain something that you can't seem to grab. I was rooted...Hit over and over and over..the root..never broke..you know why.....CHAIN ROOT. That's right boys and girls...we can just cast root over and over and over and over and over,....we are gods. How about a little time restriction on the root. Heck..it already lasts for 5+ minutes...so if it is for escape, that is more than enough time. What I mean by time restriction, is that you can't cast it again for a minute or so. Kind of like the soldiers kick butt shields.

I am not saying I don't expect them to NOT root the slayer...but with chain root...you are GOD. Good...I have used the bug to break the first root...Oops...here comes another.

You are not understanding the purpose of my post.

Stop jumping to conclusions.

Originally posted by Wenzell
    Slayer rooted ? Just term it and make another.
    Oh wait, you dont even have 80% of the req skills, you will be penalized more when 14.2 arrives
    Well, if it isn't the ganker herself. Look guys...Wenzell...

Ok Mrs. Root....as for the 14.2 problem...I am past the 20% point...it won't affect me. As for terminating my pet and making a new one...with chain root....it is as good as stuck too.

Great...now I have a new stuck bot...in a new stuck place.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast