Thread: Retarded pets that read newspapers.

Retarded pets that read newspapers.

I'm sort of a newbie. I played AO back in Beta 4 and a little when it came out, but I quit due to the bugs and poor performance on my system.

Well, I got a new video card (GeForce 3 Ti200, very nice card, ) a few weeks ago and decided to give this game another chance.

Blah blah blah, enough filler, lets get to the complaints.

1.) Pet AI - The pets in this game are pitiful. My engineer has a pet a few levels above him (it's orange to me. I can't buff myself any higher unless I find some MP's, and I really don't care enough to). Sure, the pet is great when he WORKS. The pets can barely navigate the missions. I've heard there are "tricks" to get your pets to follow through every room, but that shouldn't be needed. Your pets should be able to navigate the rooms perfectly BY THEMSELVES. If that can't be done, I think the /pet follow command should make your pet follow your EXACT footsteps (just a few feet behind you). That way you could guide your pet yourself.

2.) Concealment - Does this even work? I remember that it was heavily bugged when the game first came out and Agents took major advantage of it. When my adventurer uses the Call to Greatness program (+200 to concealment), I still get attacked by every mob in a mission (even though I'm crouching and being very careful to avoid all the enemies). Granted, my my adventurer is only level 23, but 220 in concealment (the base of 20 + 200 from the program) should be enough to avoid most enemies.

I know both of those are fairly common complaints, but this next one I haven't heard of yet.

3.) Newspapers - I like the story in this game (all the conflicts between clan and omni and such, it makes it feel very realistic). However, I don't like how it's delivered. I feel that the game should be completely self-contained, and that you don't need to view an external website to get the story. So, what I propose, is to put a newspaper in the game. Yes, that's right, a newspaper!

It could be a little tab at the top, that when you press it, would bring up a sort of futuristic newspaper look, with all the big stories on the front, and maybe little comics or stories in other pages. I don't know how hard this would be to put in, but it would rock if it happened.

Okay, that's all for now. Thanks for reading this post, and I hope you consider these points.

I agree

Pets pathing is very poor, I can't coun the number of times that I have died cos of a pet getting stuck, or warping though a war and not bing able to return.

It would be nice to see this improve but I have seen no indication that is is even being considered. I hope they will at least add a robot warp comand, so when the bot is stuck in a table of some crazy room I could get him back to me!

I completely agree with newspapers in game, as I have stated before. I would like to buy newspapers in game from booths. It would add much to the RP factor. I feel that few people read the story areas of the web site, cos they want to play!

I guess the manpower of a daily newspaper might be a little to much for FC to handle though! (though maybe it would give them more of a reason to put in a few more events!!!)

For sneaking, try setting your mission to 75% or so and try sneaking it.
    Grupurt Division 9 [RSGE] Ret.
    Second Nanomage Agent To Hit Lvl 200 on RK1

RK1

I play an engineer once in a while, when I get tired of too big missions with my MA. Then I like to relax with my engie, and just kill with my pet.
    But I get very frustrated over the pet pathing which has caused my death several times, because my pet runs around the whole dungeoun trying to find me, even if I am in the room next to it.

Yes the pet pathing is really bad. The pet sometimes chose the longest path to get to you after a fight, even through rooms not explored yet. It gets stuck in doors and furnitures.

I agree that there should be a way to get the pet to follow you in the exact footsteps.

My 2 creds.

Ivonny

Engie board had a nice little thread about wanting a

/pet warp

command.

Considering how badly the AI figures out location in the first place, implementing an exact path follow scares me.

I can see the pet warping halfway across the dungeon and *then* trying to recreate your movements, resulting in him getting stuck about 30' up in the air because one of the things you did was jump over a table...

As an MP, the least they could do for me is to make the /pet terminate command work remotely.

It's stoopid to find out your pet is lost *somewhere* in the mission; you can't cast a new one; and /pet terminate returns "invalid petcomand" or something... your only solution is to either retrace ALL of your rooms (and missions are getting largish on high levels), or perhaps zone in and out, thus loose your map. Either way, it's annoying and frustrating

fine, improving pet AI is a formidable task. Changes like that have to be prioritized and thought through and coded and tested and blah blah blah - the AI isn't changing any time soon. Loosing pets is bad enough, healpets refusing to heal (not the "unable to do" response, but the "commencing healing process" followed by no healing procces commencin:P) is even more fun.

But com'on, how hard is to make /pet terminate just make pets terminate, wherever they are?