Thread: Stored up pet attacks, bug or goood 'use'?

Stored up pet attacks, bug or goood 'use'?

The other day me and an engineer friend of mine were hunting in the Varmint woods, we don't go too far in as we are in our 40s and 50s level wise. However after fighting in there for a little bit my and his pet started to attack for thousands of points of damage each time we hit the /pet attack macro. The screen would literally scroll with hits of 200, 150, 250, 175, etc...
    We did this on a couple of mobs then thought we'd try a really hard one, and it worked on it too. The only drawback was that the mob didn't die right off, and we couldn't cast on it or attack it because it said that it was already dead. BUUUT, here's the really cool part, each time we did /pet follow, then /pet attack it RE-spammed all the attacks again. What this did for us is make the mob almost immoble it was moving so slowly. We knew a place where a Blaster Beetle hung out so we went over there and thought we'd try it on that since we could always run if things got bad, we knew the Blaster beetle would be moving like pond water and couldn't possibly catch us.

Needless to say at my level which at the time was 47th I got 10% of my level in xp every single kill. Here's the only drawback to the whole thing, the blaster beetle didn't die right off, so we had to re-summon a couple of pets each and keep sending in to kill it. BUT when we picked up aggro on the beetle it followed US at suuuuper slow speed while the pets ate its ass from behind, kinda like old Everquest Kiting. The cost in Engineer pets was easily reimbursed when we looted that critter, it dropped about 4k in cash, plus we both got 10% of our level in xp. It took a bit of random fighting before the pet (my pet only this time) started 'storing up' the attacks, but after it did we decided it was time to visit the Blaster Beetle again. Much to our joy it was re-spawned and almost as easy to kill as last time.

I've been told there are a few other 'uses' for some of these new bugs...
    Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter. If you should have any further questions or comments please contact someone at my office and I'll try to get back to you.

It is indeed a bug. It happened to me (my player character) yesterday. I even died of it, and couldn't move at all, but I was still attacking.
    *poof*

Finally free from this nightmare!

This is a client side bug, which is why it does not die straight away even though it's health may seem to be 0. What seems to happen is if you don't register any of the damage from a previous fight, it stores that up until the pet hits the next mob once. Then you see a huge list of damage, when in fact the mob has only been hit once.

Now a side effect of this. If this effect happens to you, your runspeed will drop dramatically because funcom placed runspeed calculations client side. You seem to have 0 health, but keep fighting because you actually have only been hit once.
    Taldrin | Titanioc | Teiral

I discovered the portal to another dimension!

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly.

Who are you? - http://quiz.ravenblack.net/videogame.pl

Client and Server side I'd imagine.

When fighting mobs and dropping thier health to zero, they actually start moving very slowly also. It does of course work both ways, I've had my health do that and it made me run very slowly also. So mob's run speed calculation must be done server side and ours may be done client side (although I would think it very easy to hack the run speed of a player if any type of movement were done client side). Some of you old school EQ players may remember that

...After talking with a GM about it in game I was told that it was some kind of Sync problem with the client and server, and that it was supposed to be a fix scheduled for the next patch. If the side effects of this bug are letting me kite mobs double my level or more with little to no risk... they can wait a patch or two..
    Last edited by Isaah; Apr 1st, 2002 at 00:32:38.
    Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter. If you should have any further questions or comments please contact someone at my office and I'll try to get back to you.

Sounds like an exploit to me.

This is a side effect of the zombie mobs. I noticed the longer it takes for a mob to die after getting the mob died msg, the more shots you will get on the first attack on the next mob. Also contrary to what someone else posted, it looks to me that all the damage done counts. I have actually gone and added up the damage done on mobs and can say that the damage done on the initial extra shots does count. I tend to figure out how many HP different conning mob types have. If you zone it will clear any acumulated shots. Now this is not to say that part of the zombie issue is that these shots are not being counted on the server side, but I don't think so.

This was happening looong before zombies first appeared, it has nothing to do with them at all.
    Taldrin | Titanioc | Teiral

I discovered the portal to another dimension!

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly.

Who are you? - http://quiz.ravenblack.net/videogame.pl