Thread: The explosion in Omni HQ

Exclamation The explosion in Omni HQ

Tonight, March 27, I had just returned from Rome and was involved in a conversation in Ent-east when I noticed malfunctioning slayerdroids taking out Omni citizenry. Before I could react I too was dropped pretty quickly and found myself on the outskirts of Rome. Teach me to insure more frequently...

Upon return to Ent-east, I decided to head over to Trade, and lo and behold citizens there were being attacked by the slayerdroids. Pretty soon we gathered our senses and fought back the mechanical beasts...and what followed was astounding...a rather large explosion in the area of Omni HQ...or so came the message to my comm unit...

Anyone care to elaborate on anything else that may have happened?

OOC: On a side note, I've noticed many players complaining about the lack of story elements, or events, within AO. As a former two-year vet of Ultima Online, and the lack of "events" within that gaming world, I truly felt like a participant in tonight's events. UO began scenarios a while ago, but mainly they were in the form of fiction on their official website with very little in the way of interaction among the players in the game, save ridiculously camped new spawn areas within certain city limits. While their fiction was okay--nothing like the depth I have seen on the AO website--as a player I never enjoyed having to read about the latest event, and then log-in and find the new spawn area, without anything tangible happening in the game world around me. Tonight's "event" in AO was incredible; first the attack by the droids, and then the explosion...nothing like this ever happened in UO. So to all of you with a complaint--which may be valid in your eyes--consider yourselves lucky to be a part of a gaming world where things actually "happen."

Peace.

Figures, I have an appartment overlooking that area and I slept through the whole thing. Oh well, that's the last time I mix Rising Sun with a Combat Can........
    Sinclare
    LV 63 Adventurer
    RubiKa2

Explosion! I was on not to long ago after the attack and everyone was acting normaly.

Also I heard that there was mass fighting in the Rhompa Bar 2 days ago, and I haven't heard anything. This game's media is pathetic.

Originally posted by Myers
    Also I heard that there was mass fighting in the Rhompa Bar 2 days ago, and I haven't heard anything. This game's media is pathetic.
    Ahhh... and it wasn't you who forgot to report it to the media ?

The media

No the games media is very good you just need to know where to look.

http://omni-tek.tripod.com/index2.html

I do try my best to report all the stories I hear but as I cant be on-line 24-7 it does become a bit hard. So if you do have a story, or your taking part in an event. Send the information to me at Kirranas@hotmail.com. It does not matter to me if these events are player made or Offical events to me news is news.

Also dont forget to take some nice pics of the event to.

Of course your also welcome to tell me in game any updates you hear.

Kirrana

Funny, and a good event.

Seriusly, I liked it very much. Luckily I inshured near the events site. Well, that was not quite as good a choice, since they camped the site, and they where about 8. I noticed some "That will teach you to..." Messages in my comm device, but ignored it until it repeated over and over again. Thats when it was too late to have a call for assitence done. Got killed the first time It was fairly bussy around omni ent that time, and I had the impression that the droids warped or grided to the place, since nobody saw them coming, they just apeared.

Suddenly the slaughter in omni ent stopped, but about 30sec's later started in omni trade, now that people were aware of the event it did not take much to finish them off. Shortly after this the Explosion message appeared on the comms.

I belive that there are some strange circumstances surrounding the event. First is the sudden apearance of the droids. Which, to me looked much like when Game Masters appear in the game, specialy because they disapeared in some cases the same way they came, not though killing, but just, well though magic :-)
    Second, some people reported that they are arround lvl 70K, which might have been an expression of excitment, but they certainly hit with 1064 dmg in one strike! Third The official site does not have any news item on it, which can be in part a stratigic desicion, but I could be an other hint to my favourite cause of the event. Which is: The game got cracked. The combination of a player message and a sudden spawming of characters is only possible though a high lvl of controll over the system, which I hope ony Future Com has.

There is much room for speculation, hopefully FC will shed light on the event some time soon, for now I'm just offering an Ot OOC log I have from the events, which can be found here ( http://www.shamiro.ch/ao/ ).

Media

Kirrana,

I've read some of your work, it's very good.

But I'm not paying you $13 per month, I'm paying Funcom. And its not your webpage that appears on the launcher, its Funcom. [Though perhaps it should be yours]. :/

Keep up the good work, but don't expect [or represent] yourself as doing the job Funcom is to be doing based on the "subscription" fee I pay them. The game media is not good [not terrible either], but I should not need to a tripod site for in game event coverage. It's better than nothing at all, but lets be clear your graciously doing a job someone else is being paid for. Ironic, no?

Av.

Re: Media

Originally posted by Avatarius
    Kirrana,

But I'm not paying you $13 per month, I'm paying Funcom. And its not your webpage that appears on the launcher, its Funcom. [Though perhaps it should be yours]. :/

Keep up the good work, but don't expect [or represent] yourself as doing the job Funcom is to be doing based on the "subscription" fee I pay them. The game media is not good [not terrible either], but I should not need to a tripod site for in game event coverage. It's better than nothing at all, but lets be clear your graciously doing a job someone else is being paid for. Ironic, no?

Av.
    /OOC
    One of the things I saw in the inventory list at AntiGuardians was a reporters set of armor. On top of that, with the forums new can be reported, but other than that there doesn't seem to be another way to post it. I guess a good suggestion to make would be a form that could be filled out for news reports instead of being e-mailed in. These can be reviewed by the staff there and posted with a bit more frequency. Its just that people need to not abuse it and send technical issues or complaints on that form.
    "Rubi-Ka is my home, my life, and my office... who let these people in?" - Madaline "Deaddreamer" Fontanaro
    "If you cancel your account, can I have your stuff?"
    Date of registration 2001-06-29 00:11:50 UTC
    Account status Open
    Next billing 2002-08-04

Now, who's the newbie here?

For the MMORPG Elitists:
    • Explorer:80%
    • Socializer:66%
    • Achiever:33%
    • Killer:20%

Three words:

In-Game News Terminals.
    THEOREM:
    Omni Bureaucrats work for "The Man."
    "The Man" is the >190 Fixer title.
    Ergo, Phillip Ross is a Fixer.
    -QED-

Film director extraordinairre RandaZ's Avatar

Re: Media

Originally posted by Avatarius
    Kirrana,

Av.

The 'world' exists on Funcom's server and in the minds of the players who inhabit it. We just pay Funcom our rent for being able to walk outside of our Omni, Clan or Neutral apartments; not for them to live our lives.

It's not Funcom that makes AO alive. It's the people. It's the individuals such as Kirrana who have taken the initiative. It's every single individual who has posted in the In-Character section of this board. It's the people behind HelpBot, ShopBot, AuctionBot and all those other user-created tools to help other players live out their lives here and give it a little more depth at the same time.

The key to making AO flourish actually comes from Quake. That is, the game itself isn't all that great. Look at that game, you have to wonder why it has gathered such a following. The single player missions that ship with it are rather dull. The standard multiplayer deathmatch gets old fast.

What's so special about it? Well, the people behind the mods. The people who've taken the time to extend the game. To think outside of the box, if you will. The people like those I mentioned for AO. They're the ones who have made the game much more than it was. They're the ones who hold the future in their hands. You can very well say that the quake modders were doing "ID's" job.

So, why the long diatribe? Well, it just gets to me when people off-handedly say "good work" and then back-slap with a "why are you bothering?" without comprehending that that is what had made the game they were playing special. These people pour heart and soul into something for the community and then someone from that same audience shows nonchalance towards their work. Maybe it's an issue of pride. Maybe it's the need to feel that your work is somehow important. That somehow, it has made an impact in someone's life.

Whatever it is, all of the "why are you doing it?" comments will ever do is keep these people from ever doing such things ever again. And when they're gone, and the world feels emptier, have solace in the fact that you at least had the chance to say "Funcom should be doing it." Maybe by then, when all the fans have left, you might be right. Funcom will be doing it all. All that is left.

Tap
    Slotine Zembower
    R.U.R. Member (RK1)

Tappert Solminski
    Tailor of Rome-Blue (RK1) [currently MIA]

I'm all fine with going to other news sources for the game I'm just really confused why the news organzations in the game's STORY haven't said a single thing eventhough there has been several major events.

Tap

I had written a long retort - but the heck with it. I suspect nothing I can say is going to sway your rationale Tappert. Damn shame, as AO will suffer in the long term.