Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: (_o_)

How do you like this one, my sound, video, network card, AND THE BUS are sharing the same IRQ.

I'm up sh17creak without a paddle...

the wonder world of IRQ sharing.. This is the way to fix it in windows xp / 2000 when you're first installing it (right after the first part where it copies setup files) when it reboots hit and hold the f5 key. when this is done properly you should get a screen with setup options pick classic pc. it forces xp/2000 to assign seperate irq's for everything.

here is an article on it becuase i tend to be confusing...http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=47

To bad mine is a Dell laptop that came with everything already installed nice and neat. I also don't have any installation disks, only a Ghost image.

go buy it, it is worth it to get rid of so many Irq PRobs.

I think I'll pester the night-shift people over at Dell Tech Support instead......

Originally posted by Cub
    no me thinks its a a-hole boobies don't look like that,

hey if u can say boobies then we mine as well draw one too

( . Y . )

sorry shes a bit lopsided.
    Before AO (_._)

Now (_o_)

You get the picture =]

Fix the laggy zones, beef up the net code or the texture loading code or whatever the cause of this choppyness is in Home, and beef up mort too so next time we have a big PVP event there we aren't rubberbanding all over the map.

My take on it is this, I have a top of the line puter and cable connection. I keep my drivers updated. Every zone in AO works fine for me except BS (especialllllllly around Home) and sometimes in Newland when there is a heavy load. This is a Funcom problem, not my problem and if they want people to enjoy their game, they can fix it. I pay then 12.95 a month to do just that. I'm not turning my graphic setting down or lowering resolution. I paid a couple k for my damn machine and I'm gonna use it like it's built to be used. FUNCOM GET OFF YOUR ASS AND FIX BS!!

Xeraseus
    Xeraseus

Why do I keep playing? *edit* disreguard, ditched this game *edit*

Why Can't Chown Save?

Biding my time until the time is right........

Question

did you ever fix this problem?
    To be old and wise. You must first be young and stupid. Written by unknown

Xadu RK1

Originally posted by griemdaall

I'll back you up on this Xasi. I had been playing AO with the sound off since the beginning due to the crash problems that having the sound on caused (crashing while zoning being the most notable.) I recently upgraded to an Extigy and I have not crashed once since even with the sound on.

Of course, I've been telling folks on the forums for months that turning off sound fixes a lot of crash problems in ao, but nobody believes me.

Having run out of solutions (I cant believe the amount of upgrading and tweaking I have done for this game. I must really like it !) I tried this...and hey ! It worked ! first ...turning off the sound then upgrading my sound card..(for some reason I totally overlooked that aspect before. ) Like the original poster of this suggestion stated, it may not work for everyone, but it made a world of difference for me.

LN
    75 NT retired
    66 MA
    RK1

I'm pretty sure that if you go in inside your device manager, on the ACPI computer, if you tell it to update driver, I'm pretty sure you should have the option for "Standard PC" in there under the Microsoft tab...

I'm pretty vague on this since I haven't messed with it since last September when some jack$hit online parts company shipped me a bad mobo, and I was teching the damned thing...

Anyway, there may be a way to switch off the ACPI IRQ routing that win2k manages to anally **** EVERYTHING with... anyone care to research?
    Nietya

Level 77 Clan fixer.

Trellame ought to be sainted or made a deity or something. I mean, seriously.

Originally posted by lilnano

Having run out of solutions (I cant believe the amount of upgrading and tweaking I have done for this game. I must really like it !) I tried this...and hey ! It worked ! first ...turning off the sound then upgrading my sound card..(for some reason I totally overlooked that aspect before. ) Like the original poster of this suggestion stated, it may not work for everyone, but it made a world of difference for me.

LN
    75 NT retired
    66 MA
    RK1
    <swoon> Glad I could help. :) Every time I've posted the sound suggestion in the past I get called an idiot for suggesting a workaround. ;)

Unhappy .. sound off?

....but, but.. I love the sound! The music is one of the things that made me want to stay with this game, even with all the bugs and losing all my armor to server crashes..and..and..

*sigh* I like the little goofy things the robots say...

This thing with crash loops only started for me a few days ago, and I can't figure out why. It's worse for me in the grid.. Broken Shores and 20k aren't nearly so bad. BUT... I get the same problem in Newland on occasion. So why, if it was working fine before in the grid, did it start going nutso just recently.

Seems to me that something has changed, and it's not for the better.

Khissi, 82 MA Doctor, RK1
    Isinofre, 48 boring Doctor, RK1

Re: Re: Re: Re: hahahahaha

Originally posted by griemdaall

The top suggestion I've seen around for sometimes helping with zone crashing is to disable sound (especially music). Worked for me. I rarely crash while zoning with all sound turned off. Probably won't help everyone, but it certainly helped me. I'm running AO on several systems, one of which isn't 1/10th as powerful as yours, and it doesn't crash when I go to PM on that one or my others.

Other suggestion is to enter PM by going to the oupost and running north up the road. Maybe it's the sheer number of objects that must be loaded on zoning that's killing your system, but loading them more gradually might not have that same problem. That's just a suggestion off the top of my head.
    thanks for the suggestion. unfortunately, it didn't help. actually, i didn't notice any difference at all. i don't crash per se - the problem is that graphics freeze for several seconds at a time then i appear to move slightly then they freeze again. i get some choppiness in areas like trade but nothing near as bad as bs and pm. other than in those zones, performance is very good.

i never crash zoning anymore but leaving a mission and zoning back into bs can take a long time - 4 or 5 times longer than it takes to zone elsewhere.

the workarounds (like avoiding busy areas) are okay for the short-term but i would really like to see these problems fixed. i do appreciate the good stuff they've done so far. i guess my frustration is that they keep herding people to a few zones (like bs and pm) but the software doesn't support having all those people there.

Unhappy Plug-n-pray at it again huh?

Hmm, yes, newer versions of Windoze to seem to avoid running out of IRQ resources by placing every device it can onto the same IRQ - something certain high bandwidth devices really need to avoid having happen like the plague... Maybe one day they'll get it right... or maybe we'll get more than 16 IRQs as standard on PCs.. or pigs will fly out my butt (_!_)

Actually, AO is the only game I have that causes me these kinds of problems. On top of that, I only had these problems recently. Very recently. Something must have been changed recently then.

Muting the game and lowering the detail seems to work for the most part.

I guess I'll just go buy a really pumped up desktop and see how the game runs on that.

Originally posted by PipBoy
    Actually, AO is the only game I have that causes me these kinds of problems. On top of that, I only had these problems recently. Very recently. Something must have been changed recently then.

I guess I'll just go buy a really pumped up desktop and see how the game runs on that.
    Heh, I probably wouldn't really recommend that. The level of system pumpedness seems to matter very little. It seems to be much more important which *specific* hardware you have. For instance, avoid voodoo video cards (not hard), avoid creative SBLive-based soundcards (harder). I've run this game on some decidedly unpumped systems (like celery 600s) and had it work just as well as it does on my sorta pumped 1.4g tbird at home. The difference has been hardware configurations and brand/driver differences.

Originally posted by PipBoy

Yeah, ao is definitely broken. I was just saying that turning off sound fixes some zone crashing problems, and has all the way back since day 1. Definitely different patches have different amounts of zone crashing problems though.

It's true :/
    I play since October,
    never had so many crashes/disconnections
    Most times i enter the grid ---> crash,
    login again ( in grid ) , wait 3 min for loading ---> crash,
    repeat the same ( few times )
    Usually i have green ping,
    but grid is the killer...

Quantar, MP 81

hahahahaha

Originally posted by xenomorph

Good old noob to the rescue!

You know the game don't you? Do you even know what zones he is talking about? PM and BS? Have you ever been there? Go there and then tell me this game runs fine.
    xenomorph and ( . Y . )... the resemblance is uncanny.

Q8719, I found your information useful, and response to xenomorph a perfect riposte.

Just goes to show that just because people were given Pioneer Backpacks, doesn't give them the right to shoot people down for trying to help.

btw xenomorph, was that you I saw on fire, crashing from the sky into another thread. *smack*

Some people...
    Powervault ~ Legion
    Poweredge ~ Omegastrike

Poweredge's Soldier Guide (Now Sticky!)

You want to use CAC in SL? READ THIS

Re: hahahahaha

Originally posted by Dscaper

xenomorph and ( . Y . )... the resemblance is uncanny.

Q8719, I found your information useful, and response to xenomorph a perfect riposte.

Just goes to show that just because people were given Pioneer Backpacks, doesn't give them the right to shoot people down for trying to help.

btw xenomorph, was that you I saw on fire, crashing from the sky into another thread. *smack*

Some people...
    Well actually I don't waste my time on the boards any more because it is full of idiots, hell I hardly play the game anymore. I got bored today and saw your little replies and had to laugh, have fun playing a broken game.

Edit:
    just to show what I mean about idiots, if everyone that flamed me would have read Q8719's 1st post would have noticed I flamed him/her because they were stateing the game worked fine, and trust me if you dig deep enough on the boards you will see where I have given out all the help I could to people with game mech and/or tech issues. So who is crashing and burning now? And were did Q8719 give out any helpful advice? he only posted twice the 2nd post was to ask if anyone fixed the issue. Like I said above "idiots".

"I have win98 and a 56k dial-up modem and have no trouble at all with the game. the last time I had zone and game trouble I had to upgrade my sound card and replace my hard drive( it was crashing)"
    Last edited by xenomorph; Apr 4th, 2002 at 16:53:36.
    My small army on rbk2

NT
    Got Nullity Sphere?

Crat

trader
    <--flavor of the month

I See you!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast