Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: (_o_)

(_o_)

Please fix the servers disconects.

PM and BS crash constantly, and you can't even move in those zones most of the time because of the lag (video and network). Can't you guys fix this? It's only been, what, 8 or 9 months?

Talking

I have win98 and a 56k dial-up modem and have no trouble at all with the game. the last time I had zone and game trouble I had to upgrade my sound card and replace my hard drive( it was crashing)
    To be old and wise. You must first be young and stupid. Written by unknown

Xadu RK1

hahahahaha

Originally posted by Q8719
    I have win98 and a 56k dial-up modem and have no trouble at all with the game. the last time I had zone and game trouble I had to upgrade my sound card and replace my hard drive( it was crashing)
    Good old noob to the rescue!

You know the game don't you? Do you even know what zones he is talking about? PM and BS? Have you ever been there? Go there and then tell me this game runs fine.
    My small army on rbk2

NT
    Got Nullity Sphere?

Crat

trader
    <--flavor of the month

I See you!

Well, Pleasant Meadows usually isn't so bad as long as you stay the heck away from 20K. Once I go ANYWHERE near 20K, I can kiss my butt goodbye and say hello to my desktop wallpaper.

Re: hahahahaha

Originally posted by xenomorph

You know the game don't you? Do you even know what zones he is talking about? PM and BS? Have you ever been there? Go there and then tell me this game runs fine.
    Yeah, good old noob trying to be helpful, what was he/she thinking? You sure showed them a thing or two.

Is that a booby? Am I allowed to say booby? Hey, are you allowed to post a booby?

no me thinks its a a-hole boobies don't look like that,

hey if u can say boobies then we mine as well draw one too

( . Y . )

sorry shes a bit lopsided.

Ahhh. Thank you for the clarification.

Talking

Originally posted by Cub
    no me thinks its a a-hole boobies don't look like that,

hey if u can say boobies then we mine as well draw one too

( . Y . )

sorry shes a bit lopsided.
    ROFL!!

I was thinking the same thing Breaku. Definitely an a$$hole.

Like your pic of boobies though.

LOL
    Last edited by Cyblade7; Mar 26th, 2002 at 23:46:17.

Unhappy Re: (_o_)

Originally posted by ULTRA1
    Please fix the servers disconects.

PM and BS crash constantly, and you can't even move in those zones most of the time because of the lag (video and network). Can't you guys fix this? It's only been, what, 8 or 9 months?
    This happens to me a lot too, and I don't know if it's my computer or the server. I have a Celeron 600, 8MB Video, 196MB Ram (Laptop. hehe) and a 2MBit internet connection.

If I set the View Distance to 0% before I log into areas as 20k etc u will not be disconnected, always works for me, sounds like a client or server problem?

If it is a server problem then the server is not sending players positions to your client when it's a x distance between you and the player (View Distance 0%)

If the server still sends the other players position to u, then it has to be a client problem?

I have no idea

Krabbus - Level 97 Engineer

Re: hahahahaha

Originally posted by xenomorph

Yup I'm a newbie. and Nope I've never been there. Sorry if my comment didn't help...hmm..where's your helpful info??? I see your an AO vet and to good to help right?
    To be old and wise. You must first be young and stupid. Written by unknown

Xadu RK1

Re: Re: hahahahaha

Originally posted by griemdaall

Yeah, good old noob trying to be helpful, what was he/she thinking? You sure showed them a thing or two.
    I guess I don't see what help he was attempting to provide. He offered a contrary perspective on a subject of which he admittedly has no knowledge.

I experience the same lag and disconnect problems in BS and PM. I'm running a new machine with a 2ghz p4, 528 mb ram, geforce3 running on winxp connecting via dsl. I've tried the last 2 versions of whql drivers as well as beta drivers for both sound and video. I've verified i'm running the lastest bios revs. I've run directx as well as all other hardware diagnostics. I've install all service packs to winxp. I have no interrupt conflicts, no problems with my harddrive, and my dsl connection is highly stable with extremely reliable transfer rates up and down the pipe. I've tweaked video settings, tried several resolution both windowed and full screen with 16 and 32bbp settings. I lowered view distance to 20 and view char distance to 8 meters. I turned off all effects, lowered textures, tested a variety of network settings and the problem persists. Every person I talk and team with experiences exactly the same problem.

I for one am open to any suggestions on how to fix the problems but I just don't think reverting back to win98 and dialup is the answer. It certainly wasn't the answer when i ran that configuration last month.

BS is staturated. It's the present enveloppe limit of AO.
    I have top notch computer / connexion and the game is smooth and fine with all options set to FULL in 1280*1080.

Still I am crashing in BS, even in 670*480 with MED grpahical options.
    "Donner à des millions une connaissance de l'anglais, c'est les rendre esclaves". (Hind Swarâj, ch. 18)

After two 2-hour plus long crash loops, I just DON'T whompa into 20k anymore. I suggest if you need to get to 20k, grid to Harry's and take the ferry. It's only a 2 minute walk to 20k from the ferry, and I haven't crashed there since taking this route.
    Drusillus
    Band of Brothers

Level 143 Omni-Tek Chief Engineer

Curator of the Rubi-Ka Encyclopaedia of Armor

Originally posted by Drusillus
    After two 2-hour plus long crash loops, I just DON'T whompa into 20k anymore. I suggest if you need to get to 20k, grid to Harry's and take the ferry. It's only a 2 minute walk to 20k from the ferry, and I haven't crashed there since taking this route.
    I always do that when I got a bot up and running. Don't want to risk my warmachine (or slayerdroid sometimes) by stepping through that whompa.
    Rebekah Poachie Vein - Lvl 200 Omni-Tek Bureaucrat - Equipment
    April Poachinator Joor - Lvl 150 Omni-Tek Enforcer - Equipment

Re: Re: Re: hahahahaha

Originally posted by Thunk
    I for one am open to any suggestions on how to fix the problems but I just don't think reverting back to win98 and dialup is the answer. It certainly wasn't the answer when i ran that configuration last month.
    The top suggestion I've seen around for sometimes helping with zone crashing is to disable sound (especially music). Worked for me. I rarely crash while zoning with all sound turned off. Probably won't help everyone, but it certainly helped me. I'm running AO on several systems, one of which isn't 1/10th as powerful as yours, and it doesn't crash when I go to PM on that one or my others.

Other suggestion is to enter PM by going to the oupost and running north up the road. Maybe it's the sheer number of objects that must be loaded on zoning that's killing your system, but loading them more gradually might not have that same problem. That's just a suggestion off the top of my head.

A suggestion that may helps some...

I recently upgraded my soundcard to a SoundBlaster Extigy, it's basically an external USB sound card/device.

Since then I haven't crashed in 20k or BS on that machine (althouh it still has a tendency to drop to slide show mode).

Being a semi obsessive techie type I had to figure out why the soundcard change had this effect. I did discover the likely cause.

WinXP/2k and possibly ME/98 use steering to that multiple devices can share resources (most notably irq's). This is a great feature 98% of the time. It starts to cause problems when two devices that are sharing a resource (once agin most notibly irq's) recieve large amounts of data at the same time. For instance, your soundcard and video card share an irq, you zone into a new area and all the sound/video data is sent to the appropriate devices, this causes a bottleneck and neither device gets all of it's data and causes the game to crash and/or lock. This particular issue seems to pop up if any two or more of the following devices share an irq: Video, Sound, or Network connection device (network card, modem, usb network adapter).

My problem was that my pci sound card and my pci wireless network adapter where sharing an irq, by changing my sound to a usb device which was on a seperate irq my crashes stopped. I have since switched the pci wireless adapter in one of my other systems to a usb one which also stopped that system from crashing.

-Xasi

PS in Win2k/XP you by default can't manually change irq's due to ACPI, the only way to disable ACPI is to load a different HAL suring setup. If that doesn't make sense you are better off not trying it as it can really hose a system up if done improperly.

Originally posted by Xasi
    A suggestion that may helps some...

I recently upgraded my soundcard to a SoundBlaster Extigy, it's basically an external USB sound card/device.

Since then I haven't crashed in 20k or BS on that machine (althouh it still has a tendency to drop to slide show mode).
    I'll back you up on this Xasi. I had been playing AO with the sound off since the beginning due to the crash problems that having the sound on caused (crashing while zoning being the most notable.) I recently upgraded to an Extigy and I have not crashed once since even with the sound on.

Of course, I've been telling folks on the forums for months that turning off sound fixes a lot of crash problems in ao, but nobody believes me. :)

I'll back you up on this Xasi. I had been playing AO with the sound off since the beginning due to the crash problems that having the sound on caused (crashing while zoning being the most notable.) I recently upgraded to an Extigy and I have not crashed once since even with the sound on.

Of course, I've been telling folks on the forums for months that turning off sound fixes a lot of crash problems in ao, but nobody believes me.

People as a rule don't listen, at least in the US, I can't speak for the rest of the world.

Yes sound is the most common problem as Windows REALLY likes to put the sound and video on the same irq, but your connection device can do it too, on the second system I mentioned, my sound and video had thier own irq's but the video and netowkr where sharing, caused lots of fun and exciting crashes for me

-Xasi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast