Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let us have a Chance

Let us have a Chance

ALL OOC-

Okay I admit I am moaning in this post but I know with people I have talked to agree mostly.

There is an event, you will always have a person that attacks to ruin the event, or you just have a "Bad guy" Style player.

Now as some of you know I did take part in attacking Corporal Keapa a few weeks ago and basically this is what happens, does always happen and will continue to happen in the future.

He was green to me, an even match he should be.
    My brother wanted to attack him first so I let him wearing a Neleb Staff since he had no weapons on he attack him, and he actually killed him after two attempts.

If I was to attack him then, I would have killed him.

Now the point is;
    He came back with about 500 Times more the amount of Health I did before.

He has Area nukes that killed passers by in an instant. (Even tho he is a Soldier Character)

I dont mind this to an extent but, reading Kirranas post and the latest Skirmish with Omnipol and Spyder/Georg/Azz etc..... It kinda looked the same thing.

Firstly: You want to make characters weaker
    Why?: Becuse people will ask for backup, which means more people, which means more lag, which means more crashes which could conclude to a Server Crash.

Secondly: Give different levels of people a Chance to at least do something.

Sure Slayerdriods are though as hell, okay Slayers are okay, I dont mind them they are fine as they are.

But when a GM Characters comes back with GM abilities and starts the ( revenge attitude ) its gets silly.

I give up and walk away, if we want player interactivity and changeability into the story line which there is somewhat a Lack of at the moment as I am explaining.

You here all these people, mostly TBH killing omni, mostly the GMS in events.
    A few events later they are as strong as ever, GMs on crack with godly abilities not giving a player a decent chance.

At least let them have one.

Everyone knows Events 90% of the time are for high levels, there is NOWAY a team of 80 or even 90's Will beable to do anything remotly changing in th way of the proper events.

That is one reason for leveling fyi =)

But it just makes me mad, and alot of other people I speak to in events that us players have to put up with this power abusive tactic, yeah its thier game but, its beyond funny now.

Killing everyone in a 20m radius with one AOE, please! Heh.

I will no doubt keep a open eye out for the next event and see what they are upto next.

If you read the manual in the game. It states something like:

Yellow - On the target bar.
    This creature is To your level of combat or something.

In some cases OKAY... Best in brass, greenish to me, but he hits hard now and can almost kill a Elite guard, the ones outside rome I understand that.

But these GM story chars are getting to silly.

Wink

/ooc

I agree...super GM characters are almost as silly as the folks who's aim is to disrupt the events by killing the GM for no other reason than to say they did it.

Give players a chance is right, ie the players that actually would like to see what happens/go through the event without some sociopath acting like it's the WWF and coming out of the crowd with a steel chair.

Just my wooden nickel.

occ

Cloudeh

The GMs are hard for a reason thats to stop them dieing very 5 minutes. Heck if they where weaker we would not even see them before they died. With THB, SA and 1,000's of punk kids trying to gun down anyone with a green name I am not surprized they give themselfs GM powers.

I am no joking the abuse I have heard from players at the GM's is bad, they are humans to and I am sure they become wound up as well. But the more attacks the GM's come under the more protection they need.

Dont blame the GM's blame the players

I for one don't care that they are overpowered. This is a very easy way to allow those who want to particpate and enjoy events to do so without fear that someone will come in a screw it up for them.

Do it once end up at reclaim? Learn not to do it again much like training a dog. Bad puppy, no killing NPCs, go kill MOBs's good puppy....

There are more than enough high level things to kill without disrupting events and ruining them for everyone. All killing story charaters does is force people to camp for the respawn = angry people. Why would FC take into account 1 or 2 spoil sports over the dozens clamoring for more story events? It would be stupid, "Oh, So and So wants to kill story NPC's for fun. Let's let him do it screw everyone who wants to have some fun figuring out the quest." I have some really cool ideas on how to prevent this...

1) Negative XP for killing story NPC's including level loss...that'll teach em.
    2) Insta-Nukes - staring at Reclaim is fun
    3) 2 Hour Unbreakable Root - Much like being sent to the corner (does not time out if not logged in)

These are much more nasty than being overpowered. Let FC run the events, don't screw with it, everyone is happy...

Uh, what the hell, you know, why should they always live?

Why should they not be killed?.... if not, then there is NO story.

kay sorry its just there was a 5 second event where a GM, which was once omni is now clan, ofcourse either
    1:spy for omni
    2: spy for clan
    3: turning sides.

Either way, she had to be killed, oh damn 100%.

Cloudeh let me ask you a question. Have you ever read a book? Or perhaps you watch movies? Let's take the recent Lord of the Rings movie as an example. How interesting would that have been as a movie if in the first scene with Gandalf and Frodo a mob of 5-10 random brigands had showed up, murdered both Gandalf and Frodo stole their stuff then wander off then bang roll credits end of movie.

A random murder isn't a story. It's a statistic. Let's try anouther example. Let's say every time you tried to do anything you wanted to do in the game, let's say do a mission, go hunting, talk to some people, whatever. Someone came in and destroyed the mission terminal, killed the monster you were going for, or the person you were about to talk to.

Not much fun eh? That's why the NPC characters have god like abilities. Most people in Anarchy Online don't want to just randomly kill whatever they can forever. That's boring. They want to do things and go places and have it impact the story. No minds like you killing every single NPC that would allow for people to interact with the story prevents them from doing that.

One last example. Luke Skywalker is minding his own business working on his speeder before he even dreamed he'd ever meet that crazy old man out in the desert Obi Wan Kenobi. Some random storm troopers drive by shoot Luke in the head roll credits. Great movie eh?
    Oren "Ironheel" Fadri
    Clan Enforcer

yah, what the hell is your problem cloudeh. Thats so freaking obvious. If anything they should make GM's unkillable with the ability to touch you once and your dead.

They are there to help us, and people who go around ganking Gm's are just making it tougher for everyone else who is interested in a story and not a drive by in L.A

Gm """""PLAYED"""" STORYLINE CHARACTERS

MrBunny, what was that for, read again.

I never meant just a GM.

andway this is bul****, il continue to attack em all on site because im evil, im a evil little enforcer, ahahaha.
    - joke.

Understanding why you shouldn't ruin others fun is just a little beyond your comprehension Cloudeh?
    Oren "Ironheel" Fadri
    Clan Enforcer

Ruin?
    Im sorry I played a BAD Character you un-role-play-like-peon.

But now I dont play a good, or a bad character, Im in between, guildless, therefor I dont have any real big impact on anything, I play the game.

Ruin?
    Oh yeah sure right, so in every event we cant do anything except sit and talk.

Face it, 50% of the time people want to fight, we dont level,, get better weapons, armor, implants for nothing you know.

Once in a while we want to kill something that does speak back at you, and that is one.

You dont exactly get veteran mobs coming back goin ' oi you! nooooo! Get outta my ****ing house"

I dont see why EVERYONE think that people who attack gm characters are "greifers <--?" or children, for the last time, some people are bad characters.

Evil.

Starwars Galaxies, Jedi -> Sith.
    You cannot go straight to sith you must be a jedi first.

Some people are good, thrn they go bad, live with it.
    Or just moan some more i dont care

Edit: Oh yeah and the fact they do abuse there powers as GM's....I mean since when did soldiers have Area Dmg? Since when did it do more than Snarf could do?!

For Storyline sakes, Omni-pol must be working with the Dust brigade becuase soldier DONT have area damage nanos, if they did why doesnt my sol have one, lol.
    Pathetic.

Originally posted by Cloudeh
    Ruin?
    Im sorry I played a BAD Character you un-role-play-like-peon.
    So your idea of roleplaying is killing every character possible that is trying to advance the storyline?

Ok mister roleplayer, then what was the underlying reason you attacked Corporal Keapa? What is the story behind you killing guards at 20K?

Ok, you're just a random psychopath.

I'd like to see your reaction if Funcom stripped you of your Omni employment (which is what they should do RP wise), or teleported you to a prison area for a month. See how you'd like roleplaying a criminal then.
    Last edited by Drusillus; Mar 27th, 2002 at 16:29:44.
    Drusillus
    Band of Brothers

Level 143 Omni-Tek Chief Engineer

Curator of the Rubi-Ka Encyclopaedia of Armor

Hmmm... Now I am going to make an assumtion here but I am pretty sure most of the people playing this game have rolled a 8 sided die at least once in their life. While I am new to AO, I have extensive background in Rifts, AD&D, and a few other RPG games. Now I haven't actively started role playing yet because I am still trying to get a feel for the game, sides, and professions. It seems to me that there are a lot of posts on this board where people hide behind the "Role Playing" label to cover generally bad behavior. But let's ignore that for a second and consider alignment choice when creating/RPing a character.

Since you have choosen evil will stick with that. Most RPG's offer three subclasses of evil (and the best examples I can come up with from popular culture).

Chaotic Evil - Charles Manson
    Neutral Evil - Boba Fett (this may be a stretch))
    Lawful Evil - Darth Vader and the Emperor

Now brief descriptions or more specifically my view on each alignment...

Chaotic Evil - CRAZY, believes in nothing, untrustworthy, would kill you almost as soon as talk with you, believes that their goals are more important than anything else, loners who cannot even trust one another, only acts in own best interest.

Neutral Evil - I have always had trouble describing neutral evil... mostly indistigusable from a neutral player except in a pinch they would kill you if you got in their way rather than find an alternative means. Actions would be considered evil over their general attitude.

Lawful Evil - believes in a code of laws\code of conduct. The empire for example was evil but had a specific heirarchy and reporting structure. Ridged in this belief violaters would be punished.

Now lets look at the world we play in...

You RP an OMNI character. There is more than enough room in OMNI for Good, Evil and Neutral type characters. Your alignment defines the choices you make when presented with certain situations. However, OMNI is short for Omni-Tek Corporation. A Corporation is an entity that has rules, structures, and standards that it's employees must live by. LAWFUL. Not a lot of leeway there for Chaotic Charaters who slaughter guards and NPC's on their own side.

So in essence, you are badly RPing an OMNI character and if you truely want to RP a Chaotic Evil charater you would need to switch sides. There is a lot more RP leeway in the Clans or Neutrals to RP a chaotic charater. The clans are chaotic by nature with the infighting between factions and etc. Neutral may be an even better choice because most Chaotic charaters would not want to choose a side at all because then they would be uncomfortable with the rules imposed on them by what ever faction they chose.

Would your Boss, Phillip Ross agree with your belief that your goals are more important than the goals of OMNI-TEK. I think not. So basically you only RP when it is convient for you. If you need any help moving your apartment to Tir or Newland City let me know.
    Last edited by Zarrot; Mar 27th, 2002 at 17:30:14.

Whats ross doing anyway, ooc- what the **** is fc doing? Im bored.
    Id rather kill one of them then stand around and listen to the crap they splurt out.

anyway i dont attack them anymore, I changed.
    I just, stand.
    And watch.

Its a sad thought that people actually think (and MMRPGs are at fault here) that there is such a things as "RPing an EVIL character" ... (with the capital E)...

I swear, what kind of motivation is "Cuz I'm EVIL!" Its like a bad SNL sketch or Monty Python.. You know, something like:

Scene: the local burger joint,

...a customer walks up,

Register Clerk: "Hello, may I take your order?"
    Customer "Um, yeah, I'd like a--"
    Clerk pulls out a gun and shoots the customer dead.
    Horrified Manager "My god! What did you do THAT for!?"
    Clerk "Well, you see, I'm EVIL, here's my card."
    Clerk hands Manager a registered evil ID.
    Manager "Oh, alright then, carry on."

Seriously, that is EXACTLY what most of the "Evil PK" crowd are like... Its fine if you want to play someone self-serving, greedy, power-hungry, shifty, or even aggressive and violent, but J. Random Psycho-Killer stuff is Lame with a capital L.

Back to the main topic, here's an idea to add realism and save the GMs. Don't make it 100% obvious who is running the event. If you see an uber-lvl 300 guy, or a green-named guy, it takes out of the realism. You might decide to kill him. Take GMs out of events. Have it played by a real story-line character with an uber-damage shield and body-guards. You attack Philip Ross and his damage shield abosorbs half and reflects half and he takes about 4 damage, then his body-guards kill you in a single hit. It might finaly teach those non-RP bastards they aren't uber and are still pawns to The Ross man. For smaller events with smaller people, just don't make it so obvious its that person doing the event. There should be a person to direct the masses. If you don't belive the lvl 20 Angent who says the Clanners aren't gonna attack 4 Holes but 2ho instead, well your fault. People whom don't believe intelligence reports usualy suffer. D-Day, Battle of the Bulge, to name a few.

Btw - I support Cloudeh, why, 'cause he's cool.
    -- Falling never killed anyone, its always the landing.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    RK-1
    |OT|
    Telgi-61 Solitus Enforcer
    Gauf-31 Nanomage Doctor
    Saruzi- -=128=- Opifex Nano-Technician.
    Manstien-44 Solitus Soldier

Originally posted by Cloudeh
    Whats ross doing anyway, ooc- what the **** is fc doing? Im bored.
    Id rather kill one of them then stand around and listen to the crap they splurt out.

anyway i dont attack them anymore, I changed.
    I just, stand.
    And watch.
    Well, how about this:
    Go ahead and kill all of the plot makers in the game. See how much everyone else gets bored with the game.

"The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins."
    - Oliver Wendell Holmes (1841-1935)
    Last edited by Deaddreamer; Mar 28th, 2002 at 05:41:01.
    "Rubi-Ka is my home, my life, and my office... who let these people in?" - Madaline "Deaddreamer" Fontanaro
    "If you cancel your account, can I have your stuff?"
    Date of registration 2001-06-29 00:11:50 UTC
    Account status Open
    Next billing 2002-08-04

Now, who's the newbie here?

For the MMORPG Elitists:
    • Explorer:80%
    • Socializer:66%
    • Achiever:33%
    • Killer:20%

I got an idea. We let people like Cloudeh be "Evil". And since people like him are murdering evil psychopaths we allow all other PCs in the game to initiate PvP wherever, whenever when the target is flagged "Evil". You want to "roleplay" an "Evil" character? Then deal with the fact that everyone on the planet would kill you, follow you to the reclaim and just continue killing you because you are "Evil".

PS if you really want to find out what evil is pick up Call of Cthulu.
    Oren "Ironheel" Fadri
    Clan Enforcer

I agree - if you choose to play an outlaw, a criminal, you should have to deal with all the attendant consequences. Being shut out of society, living on the run, and the possibility of incarceration are all central elements of the criminal experience, so you have deal with that if you want to operate outside the law. Since there really are no in game sanctions at this point, it's risk free to play a criminal and when that's the case, it's not really role play but just griefing.

I'm all for opening the prisons and have jail terms for people who get caught doing crimes (and it shouldn't necessarily be automatic - the guards would have to subdue a marked criminal or let players be able to do it). Have that character locked for a few days or a week if really heinous. Oh how'd the howl though if that ever got instituted.

It's the inability to do anything back to them that gets me - I don't mind so much if people want to act the swine, but we should be able to do something about them when they do.

And Call of Cthulhu is going to be great!
    Numi7, Omni-Tech Employee
    Solitus Engineer
    Division 3 [Omni Reclamation]
    RK2

why not operate a similar murder count like that in UO ?

Kill too many and you become instantly 0% gas (yourself alone) and be open to attack in places like omni ent etc

You cant attack back but then that would be good as it would your punishment..after all...what would a known criminal / murderer expect to happen to them when entering a populated city ??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast