Thread: The good of the OE Patch.

The good of the OE Patch.

Just before the servers went down, I was having a delightful conversation with a Trader about overequipping. You know before I had this conversation I was totally against this patch, and now (with the smoothing out of some bugs like Traders being able to basically remove all offense from any profession) I am totally for it.

It levels the playing field:

What I didn't realize is that this patch basically levels the playing field. It begins to allow skill in players GAMEPLAY to determine how PVP fights last or how mobs react to them rather then how much money they spent to get those wrangles to 3 shot kill red con mobs in their 100% missions.

It opens up many types of weapons. While Funcom needs to take a serious look at all the lame weapons they have in this game (of which literally 75% are useless to everybody.. What the hell is a Bigburger Pistol used for anyway?) it also allows for more variety in weapon type. Speed will once again play a bigger role in damage then how big your crit is.

What this basically means is style is a much bigger part in your gameplay rather then what is the easiest weapon to overequip.

*Everybody* has the same chances in PVP as another (save paying for high level buffs). I personally think if this patch goes thru that the 50% damage should be removed OR healing in PVP should be 50%. Either of those would work out.

There are severe problems as well. One is a Trader becomes a profession that has no equal. Not because they can't overequip because they won't need to. They can basically cause everybody *to* count as overequipped and their self-buffed Shotgun will do much better damage then the guy with 0 attack rating, 60% damage reduction and siphoned armor trying to shoot a Trader with nice crits and great heals.

Do you see the problem?

Re: The good of the OE Patch.

Originally posted by Lucid Flow
    I was totally against this patch, and now (with the smoothing out of some bugs like Traders being able to basically remove all offense from any profession) I am totally for it.
    this problem is unsolvable until they change their scale.
    'smoothing out' means using a logical scale and not this
    nonsense where 1 debuff can push you into an OE penalty
    that is worse than the debuff itself.

here was my suggestion to fix this:
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...048#post368284

What I didn't realize is that this patch basically levels the playing field. It begins to allow skill in players GAMEPLAY to determine how PVP fights last or how mobs react to them rather then how much money they spent to get those wrangles to 3 shot kill red con mobs in their 100% missions.
    while i'm for a rebalancing of OE (just not the way they've proposed)
    i dont agree here. this game is not about button-mashing.
    it's about character develpment. it's about IP distribution
    and equipment. 95% of the fight should be determined
    by how you optimized your character before the fight.
    that's just how RPG games work. it's not quake.
    being fastest with your hotkeys and mouse is irrelevant.

It opens up many types of weapons. While Funcom needs to take a serious look at all the lame weapons they have in this game (of which literally 75% are useless to everybody.. What the hell is a Bigburger Pistol used for anyway?) it also allows for more variety in weapon type.
    wrong. my nano-enforcer will no longer be able to use his
    stunglove after this patch if the OE penalties are implemented
    as proposed. ever see the stats on one of those?
    you have to overequip to get one on.
    i had to max out sense and dimach,
    create a special temporary implant set,
    and still needed an MA brawl buff and a wrangle.

AO becomes a lot dumber if you take that process out.
    you can balance overequiping without removing the
    strategy/numbercrunching part of the game.
    math solves everything.
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...048#post368284

also, professions with weapon-buffs like enforcers,
    soldiers, agents, and to some degree traders,
    will be the only ones able to 'overequip'
    while professions like fixers and adventurers
    get even further behind in the gear they can use.

and those professions that have these buffs will be
    forced to use the weapon-type they have the buffs for.
    you wont see enforcers using rider executioners anymore.
    it's back to basic hammer/beams since the difference in
    both ATK and what QL you can equip makes using the riders
    a non-competative option.

Speed will once again play a bigger role in damage then how big your crit is.
    nah. this doesnt affect crits. the crits on the popular weapons
    at higher levels far exceeds the 40% cap in PvP anyway.
    crits have nothing to do with the QL of your weapon.
    it is not a factor in the equation at all.
    everyone will still go get UVC before going off to PvP
    and nothing will change. crits and OE are two seperate issues.

and re: speed,
    slower-big-damage will always be better than fast-lower-damage
    because of the way the AC system works. being unable to OE
    a fast weapon (for bigger damage) just hurts them worse
    by making the armor subtraction affect a larger percentage
    of the damage you're dealing.

Uh, another clueless newbie?

Do you know why 75% of store weapons aren't used? Because they simply are not balanced with every other weapon. It has very little to do with, if any, with Overequipability.

Flamethrowers use only AR skill. Are soldiers OE'ing Flamethrowers? NO, they are OE'ing Novaflows that take FOUR skills. If what you said was true, then wouldn't they be OE'ing flamethrowers?

The fact is that alot of weapons just suck QL to QL. That's a weapon specific problem, and arguably a monster problem (based on ac and stuff)

Come back when you got a clue k k?^_^

Lodrin
    116 Doc

Im really starting to get sick, i didnt realise this:

also, professions with weapon-buffs like enforcers,
    soldiers, agents, and to some degree traders,
    will be the only ones able to 'overequip'
    while professions like fixers and adventurers
    get even further behind in the gear they can use.
    The only way to balance this is to give every proff weapon buffs. But then again, how will they solve the problem of variety. There will be NO two hand edged or one hand enf's in AO EVER!

My solution is to make weapon buffs of the various proffs be hand only: IE the +60 2hb buff the enfs have will be for ALL two hand weapons. SNipers bliss will raise the attack skill AND weapon skill of ANY two hand ranged weapon (one hand pistols and certain SMG's not included)

This would solve that dilemma, but what about other proffs that lack weapon buffs? Give them weapon buffs similar to enf's and agent? Maybe balance it out with other buffs that raise the actual WEAPON damage (Ex: an adv buff: 101-200 (300) without; with 151-250 (350)) Again just to mix up the buffs and prevent the monotiny of having everyone have some kind of weaon buff for their primary weapon skills.

Does anyone agree with me?
    I was one of the people who believe that FC had a "secret" 12.0 patch just before launch....he he.

You start to think that the Shrooms are wearing off and then you look at the ceiling and realize you got a few hours.

Re: The good of the OE Patch.

Originally posted by Lucid Flow
    It levels the playing field:
    Yes, we'll all be using shotguns now, even some soldiers and MAs.

Since MAs are starting to realize that fist speed is based on melee init and not physical init. MA's have a dark blue melee init. Enforcer's are better with the fists than the MA's or I guess MA's just weren't supposed to use crit scopes at all. :/

Fists are SUPPOSED to use Physical Init. If they don't then Funcom screwed one heck of a pooch on that one. Talk about nerfing MAs all over again...

I notice mobs are able to hit 3 sometimes 4 times each round when I'm fighting enforcer and MA mobs. However, my MA has, and always will do 1 hit with every round, I guess now I know why...
    Last edited by PipBoy; Apr 1st, 2002 at 22:11:41.