Thread: OOC: ARK Reporter Project Update

OOC: ARK Reporter Project Update

Greeting
    Hello folks, for those of you who don't know me, I'm Director Xnemth of ARK Community Relations. You may remember a similar thread here in the past posted by my mentor and former Director Saberharth, as the information in that thread is outdated I felt it important to replace it with more current information.

In the previous thread Saberharth announced the ARK Reporter Program who's sole purpose was to bring focus to the player community and myriad activities that YOU as players do to make Rubi-ka so much more real.

You'll also probably remember that shortly after launch the program went quiet, returned briefly, and went quiet again. Sadly that was due to real life issues taking it's toll on our volunteer group in CR. I'm quite happy to inform you that our staffing issues are handled, and new progress being made in many areas.

Current Status
    I'm very pleased to inform you that in the time period from 18 July 03 to now, the reorganization, retraining and staffing of the new CR Department, combined with a new focus, and additional support from the ARK Manager Lucien has allowed us to get this program back on track and keep it there!

The Reporters have been very active lately, covering player events, conducting interviews, and reporting story information as it develops. The end result as you can see in this forum has been a number of interesting articles which I truely hope you enjoy.

There are still some issues being worked out internally about the reporters program, but these issues are things we're presently working to solve and are, as you see, working around so that we continue to produce fresh content for you.
    Being Addressed:
    --Lack of Clan Reporters
    - Added Sept 5 03

Function of Reporters
    As I said above, the purpose of this whole program is to bring you, the player, into the spotlight and share the roleplaying accomplishments of other players with the community for all to enjoy. It is these stories and events that bring life and a sense of greater reality to Rubi-ka, and it's our mission to help you stay informed.

In short:
    -- Provide coverage of player run events.
    -- Create articles based on this information and post it publicly here in 'The Buzz'.
    -- Publish Content by sending stories to popular AO Fan sites for your ease of browsing. Several sites presently offer compilations of all articles to date. This list of sites is expaning. More on this as it develops. - Added 4 SEPT 03 STATUS: Presently sending new articles to aostratics and aovault. Other fansites that wish to be on our mailing list please email crsubmissions@ark.anarchy-online.com subj: ATTN Xnemth Mailing List
    -- Provide coverage of story related events to help you keep track of what's progressing in the greater scheme of things.
    -- Provide Faction spun articles.
    -- Provide social roleplaying opportunities while out 'hunting' for a good story via player interaction at popular hang out spots etc.

Contacting us
    We look for player events by searching the Player Events Calendar primarily, and if a reporter is available to attend a function or finds something that is particularly interesting, they make an effort to attend.

Many that I've contacted amoung the RP community are hesitant to publicly proclaim their work due to the increased harrassment issues. I completely understand.

Those who wish to submit an upcoming event for consideration to us by email may do so by clicking HERE. Please use the following subject heading: ATTN ARK Reporters - followed by either 'Request' or 'Feedback' depening on the nature of your email. Example of a email subject request for reporter presence at your event: ATTN ARK Reporters - Request

REQUESTS: Please include the date, time, server name, and location of your event along with a summary of what's expected.

Please bear in mind that right now we only have a handful of reporters available, so coverage is limited by staff size, and more importantly, time zone. Thus we are unable to cover all requested events, please don't be discouraged. We're working to increase the size of the program and thus coverage, but a few things must be handled first. Additionally, a reporter presence does not guarantee a public write up.

This email address is a temporary solution to the problem of secure contact, and will be replaced by a submissions tool on the ARK Public Website as it's redesign nears completition.

Questions
    Can a non ARK be a member of a particular reporters group?
    Non ARK staff are not able to be part of the on world organizations, or on the official Reporters Staff which is Administrated by the ARK CR Department. THOUGH in the future player submitted articles may be published through this program, this is still under consideration.

Can we (players) submit articles to be posted through this program?
    Presently our editing staff is very small, so not at the moment. I'm looking at ways to increase our capacity there, and potentially look at posting some player written content. If you have the time and really wanna give us a hand with this project, might I suggest signing up for ARK? *winknudgegrin*

What sort of activity can we expect to see from this program?
    Once again, although the CR Department itself is quite large now, the editing staff, and number of trained reporters on hand is still small. Daily updates simply aren't possible... right now. At the moment we're focusing on expanding our abilities and staff. With new story events happening quite a bit lately we're trying our best to keep up. I can't set a number, but I'd like to say you'll see increasing activity from us over the next few weeks.

More questions or thoughts? Please feel free to post below with your questions, comments etc. Please keep your remarks civil and mature and I will do my best to answer and keep this up to date.

Respectfully,
    Last edited by Xnemth; Sep 15th, 2003 at 03:51:30.
    Retired ARK Xnemth

Thanks for the update, Xnemth . Having seen a bunch of these wonderful folks in-game, and read every word they've written, I have to say this is one of the most awesome ideas I've seen.

Keep up the good work!

Indeed, the frequency of reporters being seen ant the increase in the number of articles produced is very pleasing to me and probably every other Role Player around. keep up the good work.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

Yep, big kudos to ARK on the reporter project very nice to see more greenies walking around.

You guys are doing great work! I'm enjoying the articles and content that the news organization is providing, keep it up!
    Nexeus Fatale
    Former GSP DJ
    website

Zane "Tharkael" Conmy

- "The secret to "the list" is that once you are on it, you automatically become Timelapse's and Regulas' chew toy."

=)

Two thumbs up!
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Thumbs up

*lets forth a sigh of relief*

People love peer recognition and thats exactly what this program promotes. Please keep up the good work ARK
    Advisor of First Light
    Tradeskill How-To's, Engineer Profession Guides, and Jello Wrestling at The Tir School of Engineering
    Confused by Alien Tech? Check out my Alien Invasion Guides

New to Engineering? Try HighOrbit's Engineer Guide. Thanks HighOrbit

Indeed, your efforts to improve the rp environment is greatly appreciated, and your articles almost exclusively a joy to read.
    Keep up the good work, it is appreciated!
    Anthony "Cogs" McDuff
    Veteran, Cerberus
    220 Supreme Creator : Master of Wheels...the lingerie modeling robot!

Update

Things are a little quiet right now on the outside, but in CR there'sa whirlwind of activity.

Here's some info...

1. No we're not dead or inactive.
    2. We're inthe process of getting four full time ark reporters selected and trained.
    3. We're building and implementing a series of writing and editing classes to improve the quality of our output.
    4. We're looking at accepting player submissions once our editing base has been built to an acceptable level.

We're doing this to provide more coverage for clan and neutral factions as well as improve the program as a whole. Just an FYI for any who were wondering where the news went. See ya soon.

*To clarify "full time" I mean that reporting/writing/editing is their primary focus within ARK, not 40 hours a week... just to be clear.
    Last edited by Xnemth; Sep 15th, 2003 at 03:47:35.
    Retired ARK Xnemth

Re: Update

Originally posted by Xnemth
    4. We're looking at accepting player submissions once our editing base has been built to an acceptable level.
    *hugs Xnemth*

This is one hell of news, hope things go smoothly on the ARK side of things and the whole program can be soon fully enjoyed
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

Hmm very interesting... I wanna do some volunteer work.... if you would take me under your wing that is X
    Daily Missions Bug Thread(Closed)

Aliantin - 206 Bureaucrat Retired Squad Commander of DeltaSquad
    Jetfix - 107 Fixer Retired DeltaSquad
    Aliannt - 145 Nano-Technician Retired

Clarification

Obvious there is some misunderstanding amoung at least a few players about Reporters. So let me clear this up...

While ARK is responsible for ther administration of the Reporters Program, and while the reporters themselves are played in game by ARK members, the reporters themselves, while online or in any public persona, are not attached in any way to ARK.

So, if you see a reporter out and about, they are for all intents and purposes an events type charachter. They stay in charachter, they work for their respective faction, and know nothing more about ARK than any other RK citizen would from an in charchter point of view.

If you wish to write about reporters or factions etc, go for it. But discussion of the ARK aspect of these programs would be completely out of charachter.

So, recap:

1. Reporters Program IS ARK run and administrated.
    2. This administration, publication etc is strictly ooc.
    3. All Reporters in while working in any public persona or setting is in charachter and has no ties to anyone but the Company they work for, and their faction.
    4. Reporters are non CS enable charachters. They exist for purposes of gathering information for news and reportes, they are not able to assist in customer service situations.

If you plan to write about ARK in an article in an IC manner, I highly advise you to contact either myself or the events department to arrange transfer of pertinant information.

Hope that clears this issue up. I'll add this to the main post later on today.
    Retired ARK Xnemth

Big 10-4 Xnemth
    Daily Missions Bug Thread(Closed)

Aliantin - 206 Bureaucrat Retired Squad Commander of DeltaSquad
    Jetfix - 107 Fixer Retired DeltaSquad
    Aliannt - 145 Nano-Technician Retired