Thread: Fix...the....god...damn....instakill Bug!

Angry Fix...the....god...damn....instakill Bug!

7.8 million experience lost now over 3 days
    15 friggin hours of game play time
    Nuff said, read the title

sigh

1. Watch your language.
    2. Save more often.
    3. Stop whining, they heard you the first 99 times.

Agreed

Kids using abusive language annoys me. The problem is quite relevant however, and needs to be looked into, but there is no good in puking it out like that.
    And if you lose several million xp you can go and slap yourself in the face because you should have set aside some time for saving during your powerleveling race.

- Banjosammy

Angry

<Edited by Funcom. Please watch your language>

The particular bug reported above has been a major problem for months. What has been done, nothing. No official response, just a new line of Miir panties and other such crap.

If my car didnt start, I wouldnt paint it, or put in new satin floor mats. I would fix the PROBLEM of how to get it running, THEN add accessories!

All he said above was: I purchased this game with the implicit understanding that it would function properly, it does not and has not. I have seen no effort to admit culpabilty or regret, and my repeated attempts to notify you of problems has met with no response and this is incredibly frustrating".

You <edited> call that whining? You accuse HIM of being a power leveler. Yes, it is all his fault, poor Funcom being blamed. Stick it up your ass.

P.S. Obscenity should be reserved for obscene circumstances and this game fits. Anyway, all the juicy niblets with be censored anyway

Um, I thought they had a better censoring program.

Hey hobbes, mature a bit

No need to spend time on a lengthy reply here. Grow up.

- Banjosammy

Speaking of growing up!

First of all, you get mad because you don't like how someone talks, get a brain, think for yourself. Words are words are words, the only reason they're considered obscene is because you're a sheep. They're just words like any other adjective. When YOU grow up and realize that you don't have to think what everyone tells you to think you'll be able to deal with this better.

Someone going around powerlevelling is perfectly fine, don't criticize someone for something like this. Just because you like sitting around talking with your ghey friends means nothing. Everyone plays the game to the capacity that they choose. Just because you're not good enough to go out and level quickly, or because you think that "you're better than that", or whatever your stupid reason is for posting such a condescending thing, is no reason to criticize him. The fact of the matter is there is a bug, that could QUITE EASILY fixed. I personally have worked on the development of a couple online games and things such as this could take anywhere from 2-6 hours to fix, with the assumption that their implementation of most basic features isn't horrendous.

So maybe someday you'll get a clue and grow up yourself, realize that this is a problem and stop being a fanboy like the rest of the sheep that you live with.
    Last edited by Cirin Hellboy; Nov 25th, 2001 at 05:33:19.

Why the hell did you go 15 freaking hours without SAVING?!
    "By the way, if anyone here is in marketing or advertising: kill yourself." --Bill Hicks
    "Have we turned into gerbils? People are paying money to walk up invisible steps over and over again." --Dennis Leary

First of all, you get mad because you don't like how someone talks, get a brain, think for yourself. Words are words are words, the only reason they're considered obscene is because you're a sheep. They're just words like any other adjective. When YOU grow up and realize that you don't have to think what everyone tells you to think you'll be able to deal with this better.
    Five dollars says you're in high school.

sitting around talking with your ghey friends
    Should i expect a check in the mail?

The fact of the matter is there is a bug, that could QUITE EASILY fixed
    Great. How? What are the code lines, what are the mistakes, etc? Oh, you don't know? THEN DON'T SAY HOW IT'S EASY TO FIX.

I personally have worked on the development of a couple online games and things such as this
    And yet you still use the word "ghey" and criticize people for being offended by offensive language.

Just because you're not good enough to go out and level quickly... whatever your stupid reason is for posting such a condescending thing
    Hypocrisy = BAD.

things such as this could take anywhere from 2-6 hours to fix
    Because every single engine is the same... oh wait. THEY'RE NOT.

The fact is, the guy could have SAVED WITHIN THE PERIOD OF 15 FREAKING HOURS. There's a bug that killed him. Oh well. But the fact that he lost that much XP is obviously his own damn fault.
    "By the way, if anyone here is in marketing or advertising: kill yourself." --Bill Hicks
    "Have we turned into gerbils? People are paying money to walk up invisible steps over and over again." --Dennis Leary

Ok, I have to explain a little I see

I'm not mad, I'm just saying that, -

"LIsten you god damn stupid hairy assed mother ****ers, why don't you get off your ass and fix these stupid bugs that repeatedly kill players instead of wasting resources on minor bugs that don't do diddly squat. Why the **** should I waste $30 a month on this friggin game only to lose playing time and only get even more angry, if I wanted to pay $30 to get dicked around I'd go....at lesat find a cheap whore to do it for me...."
    - is not doing any good to help solving a problem. Quite the opposite I would expect, and that annoys me because I want problems fixed like everyone else.

Secondly, I am not criticizing people for powerleveling. I do that myself sometimes. But I use the save terminals.

- Banjosammy

I said this once before, People dont get mad like that for no reason, he has a valid point but... Save more eh ? :]

Instakill

Instakill is bad though. My level 8 agent has been hit hard by it. I lost a lot of xp and time. I'm not about to go and save after killing every 3 MOBs. That's insane, but if I don't, then I'm bound to get instakilled before the end of the mission. Not fun.

Originally posted by Cloudeh
    I said this once before, People dont get mad like that for no reason, he has a valid point but... Save more eh ? :]
    Well I'm not talking about the first poster, I would be a bit upset but YES people do get upset for no good reason. Have you worked with the public much? I have. I once had a guy take a swing at me because he said I smiled at him. I was working a booth at a convention I was smileing the whole day long. I once had a guy call the police on me for giving him conterfit money (It was a brand new pack of $1 bills I just opened and had no other change to give him) The cops came and you should have seen the cops expression. He assured the guy that they were not conterfit and who in there right mind would counterfit a $1 bill anyway.

To the first poster I have watched you post the last few days and seen the exp grow and the time lost get longer. Why are you still playing??? Stop for a bit, I'm sure when they do fix the bug it will get posted and you can come back. Christ man you are going to give yourself a stroke. I can understand you are upset but you are only hurting yourself by this repeted cycle. The point of AO is to have fun and you sure don't sound like you are having any. There is life outside of AO, go read a book. It will make you feel better.
    Morgan "Carpak" Flowers
    Omni nano crat
    "We are here to serve?"

This bug has been around for quite awhile and still hasn't been addressed by Funcom; and it affects a lot of players.

At lvl 90, it takes over 1 million exp to level. I take three missions to the same playfield, and generally get about 300k of exp from the three missions. So if you get hit by the instakill bug half way through your 3rd mission, that's about three hours of play that's lost.

It's bad enough that every NPC with a root will cast one right before it dies. I typically heal myself randomly just so I don't get hit by the bug, but sometimes I get killed anyways.

I'm gonna have to agree with
    1) reality - calm down
    2) Banjosammy - change your playstyle (at least a little)
    3) Banjosammy - grow up
    4) Xombie - Hypocrisy = BAD
    5) Banjosammy - Don't be stupid (change your playstyle)
    6) Cloudeh - Change your playstyle
    7) Taelyn - There is a valid bug, but...
    8) Tao_Man - Don't give yourself a stroke; calm down
    9) cson - try to work around it

And, cson, this bug has been around since the beginning...but there were lots more instakill-esque bugs in the beginning. It's much less common now, so they are having some success in that direction.

I can only guess at how they built the game (code-wise), but it must be a nightmare to even just track down some (relativly) small bug like insta-kills.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, you say? Very well, get out your pens, essay writers, and prepare to have your logic tested by steel!

spydr,
    if you read my last sentence - The only work around I know is to heal myself randomly which will refresh my health. I don't have a HOT so I have to do this manually. Perhaps you can enlighten us with any other work arounds since you seem to have an answer for everything for everyone.

Actually, the problem HAS been ADDRESSED by Funcom.
    The bug is due to some mobs not being rendered clientside. This is the bug. The game then interprets this as that the mob isn't THERE, so it doesn't provide the damage feedback. Then it figures out you're dead. Reclaim time.

Da bug

Yea this bug has annoyed me to no end as well.. I got a deflecting shield though.. Good thing with a bugged game is you learn to deal with them. This is to me a minor problem and I'd rather see design fixes.. Like missions for example.. They could be fun.. Best way to deal with this bug, if we're talking about the same bug, wich I do think we are. Is to put up a deflecting shield(Sorry if u aint got one) Because it's gonna go off. And you'll be able to tell you're being hit, so you can zone out.. Or run like heck anyway.. You wont ever get killed by something in a hands down fight if you're prepared due to this bug.. Yeah it's harder to be tactical when you don't know how much HP you have, so it's safer to run.. But still.. This, like many other bugs. Can easily be bypassed.. It's major though, and I hope it'll get fixed soon-.. Must be awkward for FC having such nasty bugs out in what's supposed to be completed software..?