Thread: Ultimatum To Radiman

Ultimatum To Radiman

A few people have said they have trouble seeing my site at http://omni-tek.tripod.com/index2.html so I have posted this story here.

I am doing a full post on Loyalty within Omni-Tek, so I would like peoples views on the Ultimatum, the crime in Omni-Tek and what it means to be a Omni-Tek employee.

Thanks Kirrana

Ultimatum To Radiman
    Posted by Kirrana

Wed, 20 March 2002 12:00:00 Universal
    After a week which has seen much talk about the crime on the streets of Omni in some what of a surprise the guilds of The Dark Carnival, Enigma, R.S.G.E. Division 9, The Nordic Alliance, The Sword of Justice have sent Mr Radiman an Ultimatum. The details of this Ultimatum has found the clans guilty of harboring and funding these terrorist groups and their activities. If Radiman fails to respond with action in 72 hours then the guilds have said they will take matters into there own hands. As the ultimatum says "If you do not comply within the given time we will be left with no other choice but to conduct swift and harsh military actions targeted at Tir,"

Radiman was quick to respond pointing out "As far as I'm concerned, the Council has performed according to the Tir Accord, both showing willingness and ability to work with Omni-Tek in finding, and punishing, the terrorists."

The act has split Omni-Tek those that remain loyal to Mr Ross have said they will not support the Ultimatum. An announcement from the Omni-Tek Administration has not yet officially commented on the situation, but sources have revealed there is no official backing to the ultimatum.

Of course the clans have responded to this threat and handed their own Ultimatum to the guilds, that it they dare to set foot in Tir they will be meet with the full force of the clans.
    The whole situation is rather confusing and not as simple as it may first appear. The whole issue centers around the terrorist group known as the Dust Brigade, who is believed to be helping or in some way linked to Red Freedom the Clan terrorist group.
    So the action from the Omi-Tek guilds could be explained by this link, but also the Dust Brigade has been linked to Valdemar Consortium a neutral group and also a number of Omni-Tek guilds have also been linked to the Dust Brigade.

So why have the guilds decided to take the law into their own hands but to focus only on the link to Dust Brigade within Clan land. Why did they not focus on the problem inside Omni-Tek ?.
    It is strange they do nothing to stop the crime in the very streets of Omni-Entertainment but seem willing to mobilize there forces half away across the planet to fight it there.

But also why attack Tir, what possible link is there that Reduum or the Dust Brigade would be in Tir. Given that the Dust Brigade have also attacked the Clans it would seem unlikely that the terrorist would just be hanging around the COT.

I am sure Ross will do his utmost to distance himself from this action, it clearly has no support from Omni-Tek Admin, its objectives are very questionable, and the proof the clans are in league with Dust Brigade seems at best to be tenuous.
    To me this action is reckless, in the best light it was badly thought out, in the worst light it is clearly an attempt to start a war with the clans. ICC will not stand for this, if this simple reporter can see through the rubbish this Ultimatum is then they will to. This action stands only to hurt Omni-Tek by bring the full wraith of ICC down on our heads.

We are Omni-Tek, I sometimes think the guild leaders forget this, and have some Clan like notion they can just do what they want. They believe ideas well above there station that they can simple go above Ross's and Omni-Teks head to demand Ultimatum's on Omni-Tek's behalf. We already have seen the dangers this self imposed power has had on TBA are we seeing yet another rogue group forming.

I guess like many others clan included we now just have to wait 72 hours.
    Kirrana
    A Simple Reporters View

well said Kirrana, this *ultimatum* is nothing but a joke
    Eldridge "Thewanderer" Shelling
    Clan Martial-Artist
    3305 Local Diplomat

Film director extraordinairre RandaZ's Avatar
    I generally don't pipe up when talk of politics starts. My time with the ICC recon taught me never to get involved in inter-corporate bickering. It'll always get you killed. Same rule applies to the conflict boiling here on Rubi-Ka.

But I must confess, as a civilian living on Rubi-Ka, I am a little astonished and worried that these Omni-Tek guilds have chosen Tir as their target. It's a civilian population, much like Omni-1 and Rome are major population centers. There are many more viable military targets out there. It just seems kinda ironic they would choose to target innocents in exactly the same way as the terrorist organization they apparently are so upset about.

Short of an all out declaration of war, civilian populations should be safe from reprisal attacks. Anything less is just terrorism, no matter which side you're on.

Tap
    Slotine Zembower
    R.U.R. Member (RK1)

Tappert Solminski
    Tailor of Rome-Blue (RK1) [currently MIA]

Question why, you ask why?

As a response to a terrorist threat, the mights-in-charge decide to accuse and attack a party that is not even related to terrorist attacks?

Several answers come to mind:

a) they like to bully those they attack, they just need excuse (which is not even near sound)

b) they divert attention from who really DID it

c) they pacify their citizens by "showing the needed response"

d) the military gets fun and budgeting

..etc..

the core issue is tho:
    "instead of thinking, they try solve conflicts by violent means"

and thats because
    "noone learns from the history anymore"

Clanners and Terrorism

Since most of my trips to 2HO for missions always involves
    passing a group of high level clanners screaming for Omni
    blood and how they are going to push Omni right off the
    planet [which of course is the propoganda of Red Freedom and ironically the Dust Brigade]. So how can it be tough to not want to make the logical link between the Clans and the Brigade. The fact is you do not have an Omni equivelent of "Red Freedom" actively trying to "push the clans off the planet". Hence, the clanners are at large the aggressors in this a matter with the occasional "revenge" strike by small groups of Omni. I understand that the majority of clanners are not involved, but in the press appearences are everything and right now Omni looks like the wusses and the Clanners the bullies. This so called "ultimatum" is of course silly, but its the first signs of life from an otherwise seemingly depressed and beaten company still mourning its dead and still left wondering "why?".

<OCC> You know Funcom put us in an akward spot by giving us a big part of the story in Episode 4, more than I think we should have seen so soon. As a player I KNOW rogue Omni has a hand in the DB, but so do rogue clanners. Think we would have been better off not knowing that so soon. I find it difficult to RP as an enraged omni when I know who the leader of the DB really is and who she seems to really work for. Both sides house dangerous traitors with hidden agendas. I give Funcom credit for the clever plot device [the concept of rogue omni and rogue clan working together for a common evil] but sense this should have developed a bit differently. [ie leave clues at "Whispers of the Past" of Eva's involvement but dont show her face in the vid or name in the script] let the players develop some "reasonable doubt" on their own. </OCC>

On the flip side I'm stunned that Div9 would stoop to signing any kind of common agreement with TBA. It certainly tarnishes Div9's reputation in some people's minds. Wonder what they know that we don't hmmm?

Av.

Re: why, you ask why?

Originally posted by Karlek
    the core issue is tho:
    "instead of thinking, they try solve conflicts by violent means"

and thats because
    "noone learns from the history anymore"
    So what solutions have your mad thinking skillz yielded?
    Numi7, Omni-Tech Employee
    Solitus Engineer
    Division 3 [Omni Reclamation]
    RK2

Thumbs down hm?

what do you understand under "solution"?

we, as players, have no influence on the course of the 'story';

If you mean the solution of the riddle of the envisioned plot, then its better not to divulge it, in order not to make it uninteresting for the pay-by-viewers;

If you mean the solution to the stupid unending violence, then i think it might be time (at this year AD 30k) to recognize that noone gets really killed (as the DNA scanners reconstruct all) and the only conflict is about resources division.
    OT's contract runs out in no time, and as they have no means to buy off whole of council of truth, they might try destroy ALL of the citizens? Quite unlikely.
    Clan's position is even more stupidly presented as they are not already negotiating for 3-4 contenders that will be allowed to mine once OTs run out. By having pre-contracts as of NOW, they would also have mighty backing of future partners, and conflict would be over due to balance of several political forces.

All of this political (its not SF) plot is unrealistic, therefore non-immersive.

Re: hm?

Originally posted by Karlek
    what do you understand under "solution"?

we, as players, have no influence on the course of the 'story';

If you mean the solution of the riddle of the envisioned plot, then its better not to divulge it, in order not to make it uninteresting for the pay-by-viewers;

If you mean the solution to the stupid unending violence, then i think it might be time (at this year AD 30k) to recognize that noone gets really killed (as the DNA scanners reconstruct all) and the only conflict is about resources division.
    No one on Rubi-Ka really gets killed as the insurance technology only works there, due to the unique environment. And even that is not totally accurate, because people do get killed permanently, only they don't within the playable bounds of the game (i.e. people were permakilled in the DB bombing in Omni-1, and there exist weapons that can permakill in the game fiction). I would imagine that a considerable fraction of the Rubi-Ka population is not insured; we the players represent an exceptional minority of the total planet population so we cannot use ourselves as a representative sample for everyone here. We just can't see the great masses of Rubi-Ka in the game due to limits of technology (which is why the streets of Omni-1 aren't packed and bustling with ordinary people, though they would be "in the real world."). You have to think beyond clientr.exe sometimes.

OT's contract runs out in no time, and as they have no means to buy off whole of council of truth, they might try destroy ALL of the citizens? Quite unlikely.
    Who says OT is going to destroy all people living in clan territory? They would want to destroy the clans as a political entity, end resistance and re-establish OT control over the rest of the planet, as they once had.

And what do you think the odds are that OT will quietly pack their bags and leave Rubi-Ka when the lease is up? I estimate the odds are about the same as the odds Sol Banking Corporation will patiently wait for their turn to lease the planet.

Clan's position is even more stupidly presented as they are not already negotiating for 3-4 contenders that will be allowed to mine once OTs run out. By having pre-contracts as of NOW, they would also have mighty backing of future partners, and conflict would be over due to balance of several political forces.
    No they wouldn't - they'd just be throwing off the yoke of one mega-corporation and taking on that of another. The clans want to be free of all corporate domination and have popular political control of the planet, something none of the other corporations would grant them, except possibly as a ruse. The clans' fight isn't against OT because they don't like OT, it's a fight for political self-determination and OT just happens to be the instance of the system they are facing; if OT leaves, they'll face another instance (SBC) and nothing will have changed.

I would venture that this is why the clans allied temporarily with OT against SBC and allies. "Better the devil you know..."

All of this political (its not SF) plot is unrealistic, therefore non-immersive.
    Actually I think it's quite realistic given the stakes at hand. Perhaps the violence is "stupid" in a finger-wagging, why-can't-we-all-just-get-along way, but it makes perfect sense in a power political way.
    Numi7, Omni-Tech Employee
    Solitus Engineer
    Division 3 [Omni Reclamation]
    RK2

Post .

not sure that it makes sense to debate about "would-be's" but as you show so much zeal...

1) immortality of the masses

I think its stated in new timeline that all of populace of RK enjoys the cell scanning & newly granted immortality, so it is planet-wide.

2) OT goal

As killing off the enemy is impossible, then they have to subdue Clans in some manner to sign contracts as it fits OT. Good point. They can prolly try divide, i.e. quarrel the clans between themselves. If clans had any salt in brains, they would know that only unity works for their cause. No kind of insult or atrocities should move them from common goal they share. Of course, about 7% population is for killing "enemy" at any time. Those nazis can be sent to battles to die of/for their zeal, this changes noth.

3) Clan politics

This is definitely oversimplified or not thought out on FCs (storywriters?) side: even when RK is independent, clans will need partners to mine and ship notum (less they close the society for the rest of the universe, and cease exports of notum - which is too dangerous for their existence - as they would be invaded by all companies in unison);

If they negotiate several concessions ALREADY now, for the future business, and give each of 3-4 companies interest for business, the protection would follow immediate. They can give 3-4 mines rights for 5 yrs to SOL, 3-4 to OT, etc... Companies would keep each other in check and all would protect their interest, i.e. piece of cake. This political route is totally neglected by storymakers as it leads to insta pacification of the conflict, and w no conflict = no game...

4) Immersiveness

Good if you like it; its too simplistic for my taste;

---
    therefore, over&out with this thematics.

Karlek> If everything goes perfectly yes nearly everyone on the planet has insurance. However not everyone can afford to constantly update it and there are several instances in the past where insurance technology has been tampered with so that the deaths were permanent and as has been said before there is permanent kill equipment. Just do one of the first three missions on max good and read the description.

Your view of the situation is to simplistic. As of now reading the time line OT as a whole (not just the rubi-ka division) could care less that the clanners hold a fraction of the planet that possesses relatively little notum. That's all OT cares about, their goal is profit, to make profit on Rubi-Ka they need to mine notum.

And if you're wondering why the clanners don't all get along just look at the political situation in the United States. Clanners are people who are united only because they oppose Omni-Tek's totalitarian rule. In the clans you have everyone from communists, to fundamentalists, to the green party, and all other political extremes and everything in between you can imagine so of course they're not going to get along.

And the Clans don't own the planet. The lease is signed with ICC so the clans can't negotiate crap.
    Oren "Ironheel" Fadri
    Clan Enforcer