Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Story missions

Cool

Do you want story-missions that are profession specific or not?

I would like to see both in the game. Preferrably ones that could be used by only a few classes or few breeds. Some that do all.

Do you want side-defined missions, or missions for everyone?

Once agian, I'd like to see both, but missions for everyone shouldn't effect the story line, perhaps just personal revenge or errands missions from the regular folks of Rubi-Ka

Do you want the quests to scale with your level? (So you may take the same mission at lvl 30 and at 100, only with tougher opponents?)

No, this would make missions bland and more of a "To Do" list then anything. I would like to see it so that you have to be at certian levels to accomplish missions, as well as the NPC state that they need someone more skilled or that your to skilled to do what he/she needs done. The level of the mission should also reflect the quality of the item. (I don't want to bust my hump for a week and get a worthless item 20 QL's lower then what I was hoping for)

Do you want many small, or fewer longer quests?

Both, but the longer the mission the better the item! (like EQ Epic weapons but not so...."end game" like.

Is it ok with you to camp spawns, like we see in other MMORPGs?

I personally don't have a problem with camping spawns as long as we have to fight to get to them and that they always drop the item (the reason we have to camp them in the first place is because they drop the item needed randomly) Another idea is to have the item drop off mobs in an area or more unique mobs in 1 area at random (meaning you have to hunt for it)

Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you even in these story missions? (Or do you want only outdoor action?)

I don't mind in-door missions but to really make these missions feel unique you need Unique dungeons for them. I don't mean to go all out, but have them be the same all the time and be small, or large depending on the mission (like maybe have to hit 5 switches in a dungeon to open a door in the back to get the item?

(Other things to consider)

1. Make the missions (quests really) require some thought!

2. Have missions require more than one person so as when the storyline is effected the guild that completes it can somehow recieve credit for this.

3. single missions that change storyline should someone give credit to who did it. (maybe wanted posters? or something similiar)

4. Level cap on lower level missions. So higher levels don't "Farm" the items for there Alt chars. (like a lvl 15 mission shouldn't be done by anyone lvl 30 or higher)

5. Consider Risk Vs. Reward for them all.

6. Before giving out new Nano's that are unique, please ask the proffessions what they could use or need. So we don't have anymore "summon armor/ammo/weapons" nanos that scream useless. (that was a reference to the fixer summoning nanos)

thats all I got for now, thank you. Feel free to e-mail me.
    Nolan "Nolas" Flummer
    156 Trader
    RK1

<rant>
    ok...here is my tip after completeing the alvin quest(near trash king).

for the love of god change this quest. It took me 6 hours. I got a grand total of 120 exp, which i then lost to an elite guard when i accidentally attacked a mech dog waiting TWO HOURS for alvin.

Then, when alvin shows up, he takes the assembled item, and tells me, wait another TWO HOURS...wtf? so i come back 2 hours later...after having been killed at aces(the mob that killed me, btw, didnt hit me for enough dmg to actually kill me, maybe you should fix bugs like this before putting in totally new stuff?). I get the reward...a decent pad...merely decent...and 2 tokens... even though its suppose to give me 5 tokens(arent tokens unique anyways? howd i get 2?). Then, these 2 tokens, which are supposed to give me credit for 8 total tokens, give me credit for only 4....btw....please spawn alvin as a lvl 2 npc....

this sort of quest is NOT fun and will cause cancelation of MANY subscriptions.

needless to say the ark i talked to following the quest was typically vague, and didnt really help at all... although he was very nice and friendly..he didnt really tell me much...
    <edit>
    almost forgot..itd be cool if you actually had to go to alvin(alvin ought to have either a much shorter spawn or a much longer duration) to start the quest....otherwise you get there and you've missed half the damn quest and have no idea what you're doing.
    </edit>
    </rant>

Some suggestions:

I previously posted this in a now closed forum. I was upset at the fact that your new content was designed in such a way that only a small handfull of people were getting to experience it. Your boss mobs and quests were being constantly camped by the same individuals. Elian Zunzwanda for instance, has been killed by the same person every single time he has spawned for a good 2 months. Well in case you missed it the first time I posted this, here it is again:

Some Suggestions:

1. Completely Randomize the spawns of outdoor Special Mobs.

-Don't restrict them to one zone, give them a number of zones to appear in.

-Don't have them spawn in the same place in each zone, give them a multitude of spawn locations.

-Don't give them a set spawn pattern. For instance, killing Elian in Clon**** shouldn't mean he will always spawn next in Andromeda.

-Don't give them a set spawn timer. They shouldn't spawn in every 10 hours right on time.

-Keep them constantly on the move. If no one has found and killed Elian within 2 hours of his spawning, have him instantly respawn somewhere else.

-Place some of these boss mobs indoors. You know all those empty shacks and buildings that you can just enter without a key? This would give them some purpose.

2. Story NPC's shouldn't be restricted to giving out 1 quest to one person every 2 hours. These quests need to be more dynamic allowing any number of people to receive and complete the quest. Keep that in mind when designing new quests. But in the mean time add the following to current quests:

-Quest flags. When someone completes a quest he is flagged and not allowed to complete the quest again for a number of days/weeks.

This will give more and more people a chance at trying out the quest.

3. Allow teams the option of entering their own instance of a Dungeon or "Static Mission". How many times must a full team going for their Robes be cheated out of the experience by one level 150 killing every thing in the Steps of Madness dungeon?

-Add a checkbox in the Team menu or a special item that enables a team to enter an empty instance of a Static Mission or Dungeon.

Profession Specific or not?
    Yes please, but also world-spanning quests for everyone, at different levels, requiring teams occasionally etc
    Side Specific or not?
    Yes please, but not always. I am sure there will be people visiting RubiKa and things unearthed in out of te way places that anyone can quest for/ with
    Scaling with level or not?No. I'd rather have stuff to look forward to as I advance. New quests can also be done by higher players who want the rewards themselves for style or completeness. If they are really easy, so be it. You can spawn separate dungeons or work with quest timers and fast spawns so this does not cause problems with high levels forcing lower level players to wait and get annoyed.
    Many small or fewer long?
    Both. Oh go on . . .
    Is it okay to camp spawns?
    Most emphatically NO! Absolutely not. I have never ever had a chance to talk to Dodga. The worst is that he disappears after people hand stuff to him. So a lot of people have found what he wants - so what? Let them all be happy and have that microscopic edge, and look kind of cool. Good for them. The limiting factor on how many people complete a quest should not be who can stay logged in the longest but that you can do the task. Stop farming of items with use of the UNIQUE and NODROP flags, and with timers on each player. Make them reasonable to allow people who lose stuff to eventually recover it. The unique flag will prevent a lot of camping and selling anyway - can't sell stuff if you use one yourself and can only have one in your possession.
    Interweave with auto-content?
    For indoor stuff - sure, but let's get people out into the beautiful world, looking for mushrooms or dentist drill bits. More save terminals further out would be useful, but not too far. Better still - a one-way grid or whompa or subway exit nearer to SFH, etc, but no save terminal. Let people get there to hunt, but risk their xp by staying and fighting
    Last edited by foolish_child; Mar 23rd, 2002 at 17:39:26.

Talking hello

Story mission = good
    Camping spawn = bad....very , very bad!

Wink My opinion

I would like to see SOME prof. specific missions and side specific missions.

No scaling, if it's an easy mission, I want my experience to reward me by my having an easy time, not always have the "same difficulty"

A few long missions would be great

NO SPAWN CAMPING, pulls ya right outta the game

Yes, mix it up with the mission terms, while outside missions will be nice, the occasional good ole indoor mission would be good too.

Thumbs up

Yeah, because then u can get an special item just for your proffesion, and that makes the story missions more exiting for the profession like engineer.. You wil be more proud if u can show the rest of the people in the team that u have an unique item just for your u !

I think u should have both.. Then u can teach other people about the conflict on Rubi-Ka between the rebel clans and omni-tek, but still u wil teach that there can be peace to...
    Ps! You should be close to your friends, but even closer to your enemies..

Do you want the quests to scale with your level? (So you may take the same mission at lvl 30 and at 100, only with tougher opponents?)

I think u should choose the difficult .. then u can do easy missions for lower unique items, bt still u can do hard missions for those who want better unique missions...

Both ! then u have a risk to get large missions, but u can also be lucky and have small missions ... It makes the story mission more exiting, because u can get both large and small missions ..

No.. U should make it so u can deliver things to for example Alvin all the time .. when u get to Alvin there are always 2-5 peolple there, and that makes the mission boring when u should get the thing + that u need to wait a long time by the spawn to deliver the thing ..

Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you even in these story missions? (Or do you want only outdoor action?)

DONT use the regular mission system .. u should make it so u have different missions.. if u want a indoor mission then go to a spesific mob, but if u want an outdoor mission u should go to one oher mob

Lightbulb An unusual idea NO CAMPING

An unusual idea - NO CAMPING!

content is KING!

Yes please! It would add some nice depth the each profession.

Personally, no - that's a cheap way to recycle content. Create more, different, and compelling content.

Want it all! Lots of both.

In general - no. In some cases this can be ok but for the most part no. There is ways around this (see next point)

NO NO NO NO NO NO - I'm sick of mission type stuff. You have this wonderful HUGE world and people never even see it - they spend all their time in missions. auto-generated content is NOT compelling - it's a cop out.

Now if your talking about creating a unique paralleled zone for a quest - that's great (and gets rid of spawn camping).

-------------------

One additional note - having quests that rely on several professions (and in turn players) would be very cool and something we have not really seen in MMORPG's to date. For example it would be interesting to have team quests for profession combos. Say there is a quest for a doctor and an engineer where you have to travel somewhere and the engineer has to fix something (life support system for an underground facility and the doctor has to find and heal some important NPC(s).)

These type of quests would add a huge amount of depth to the game for professions as well as creating a nice team dynamic where players need to rely on each other to get tasks done.

-Halcyinv2

Camping isn't that bad if mobs are on fast timers. 10 minutes or so would be acceptable. I see absolutely no reason to have to wait several hours for something to spawn. If I have the ability to kill a mob now, I'll also have the ability to kill it in 4 hours. Why waste my time?

Adding nodrop status to loot on unique mobs would prevent the same person/group from farming the item all day. Even if everyone in the group needs said item, at 10 minute spawns, that group won't be there longer than an hour.

here's how I envision it

Here's some examples of short missions that could be character development based, storyline based, etc.

* A mission available only to enforcers, which consists of a two-room dynamic dungeon. In one room is a door that strips all buffs, in the second room is a monster you have to fight. Kill the 'combat practice android' and get a buff nano that can't be acquired any other way - like a 1hs/2hs buff.

* A mission available only to agents, which consists of killing a grey mob in a dungeon full of red mobs which awards the agent with a device that allows them to aimed shot so long as something is fighting someone else.

* A mission available to all characters of one side, randomly asks for a tradeskill component that is part of some new item being introduced into the game. When all items have been found of a given QL by different players, the item becomes available to those people who contributed by doing the mission in the form of the tradeskill recipe.

There are lots more ideas along these lines but that's what I thought of when I read this.

For profession specific items I'd prefer that other professions should not be able to do them.. there's no point in that. It would also be much more interesting with a quest that suits our abilities then general quests. But make it the exception, not the norm.

DON'T FORGET THE NEUTRALS !!!
    As long as we also get to participate in the game it's ok. But please don't make much more clan/omni only items or worse.. nanos. God knows the token board is more then enough.

Yes, but only if the reward scale as well.

Many small ones, and a few large ones. And don't implement the quests one by one over several patches.. that does not encourage going around looking for quests. Make something like 20 or 30 quests and scatter them through the different zones.. you will see people in placed no one bothered visiting before.

I can't belive you even have the nerv to ask that question.
    We (and I think I speak for every poster on this board) do NOT want to camp anything. It's dull, it's boring and it has no place in any game whatsoever.

The best thing would be to autogenerate small outdoor zones (better yet paralell zones that someone suggested), though that might be too hard. But if the choice stands between camping a spawn and indoor auto-content, I'll take the indoor action anytime.

Let me emphasize this just to make the two main things clear here.

If you make quests sided without making neutral quests as well (maybe we should be able to do both sides quests, that might make up for the no token board) you'll get the neutral population on your arse.

If you have us camp spawns for hours to get our quests, then curse on you, I promise people will leave as that would be the final sigh you don't care about what the players want, or in this case, don't want.
    Last edited by Transcendent; Mar 23rd, 2002 at 20:18:10.

I've read through all this thread like many other and everyone has said NO spawn camping.

Please Funcom, tell us you get the message and you will do everything in your power to remove this foul practice from our game, PLEASE
    edict
    Clan Archdeacon

"Nothing worth while is ever easy"

Just a comment on the random spawn of mobs idea posted earlier:

This will make it even harder to find and kill them, and would in essence be making it even worse tha it is now. Just imagine having to search through a multitude of zones, inch by inch, without even knowing if the mob is really there at all (or was found and killed 20min ago). This would make camping seem like an easy an enjoyable exercise, so please think about this for a while.

As I see it, ideally, any unique mob should be able to be found at any times and what really should decide if you can get the reward is your skill. Take the various semi-unique mobs around now - Nuggets, Prof. Jones, The ancient one and so on. Currently these are spawned to death and instantly killed upon respawn by the "elite" guilds that have both the time and will to continiously sit around camping these - the rest of the players (the 95% remaining population of RK) will have only dumb luck trying to get these items.

What I propose is that every one of these mobs could be tied into a small mission - either an indoors area, or outdoor if possible (maybe a small valley or similar if it can be done) - where such area is spawned for every player or team that enters. First off, this would ensure that everyone that does find this area, and have the means to enter, would have a chance of killing the mob and getting the item. As stated previously, what should determine if you are able to, should be your skill/level - if you are indeed able to kill said mob.

This wouldn't automatically free up these items for everyone, as for an example, nuggets would tear through any single sub-100 player. How to deal with teams entering these small areas would have to be restricted in other ways - possibly making the mobs harder, have cohorts, special attacks etc, level restrictions on entering, or scaling of mob hp/offense to the team entering (like team missions).

And most importantly, it would give everyone a fair chance and balancing the playfield.
    Cheers,
    Ellusion
    Anarchy Arcanum
    ---
    201 Ellusion, Doctor | Eqp
    202 Snowfish, Agent | Eqp
    215 Edeus, Doc-pet | Eqp

Proud General of Ragnarok

Post Story Missions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Some should be, and for profession specific items and rewards as well, uniqure no drop items.

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    They must be sided, most of the clan ones should somehow involve the struggle against Omni and vice versa, while neutrals quests could be about working towards balance between the two sides.

quote:
    There should be enough different missions that this is not needed, so have missions for different level ranges, like level 1-10 and anyone above level 10 would not be able to trigger the NPC into giving them the quest.

quote:

Both.

quote:

I think the missions should span both indoor and outdoor areas but that the indoor areas should not have randomally spawned indoor zones, they should be set areas with set mobs, like permenant mini-dungeons, but they still require a key or item to enter them given to you by the NPC that started the quest.

One final thing, do not make the NPC's that give the quests impossible to find, do not make them spawn randomally, they should always be around, they should not spawn at all, have them be hanging around in a club, or in a town but not just randomly walking around some huge zone, also it would be nice to know where to find them so people can do the missions, inform us more when you put in the missions at least as far as what zone they can be found in and the name of the NPC, otherwise it wastes a lot of time that could be spent leveling, obatining equipment or any number of other things that people would rather do then spend hours searching for someone that may or may not be where they are rumored to be.

Dovienya
    62 Martial Artist
    Spirits of Rubi-Ka

Why not make a quest mission booth?

haha like everyone else has said

Spawn camping should not be implemented. It;'s hard enough getting special items like shades of lucubration, blackshirt of zuwadza, vest of professor jones etc, because larger guilds gather their members and hog the spawns preventing any other players from experiencing the joy of taking down these NPCS. it also centralizes these rare, special items, making them only available to people with hundreds of millions of credits. On one hand I can undertstand that it shouldn't be possible, for EVERYONE to have a special item or hard to attain item (Remember when omni elite was sooo hard to get?) special items should be just that, special, and if everyone has it, it becomes less than special. A balance has to be made I think, one that favors the casual players too and not just those with uber mega guilds with hundreds of members.

Another Idea

I can't say I've tried to get many of these type of mission (simply because I've only found one so far). However here is something that I think may help us all out a little.

Would it be possible to change how we speak to NPC's? Could we possibly send them a /tell instead of talking in /ch v?

Here is my situation:

I was with my group of reg's that I play with talking to a certain NPC about a mission. We have all read that he had a mission like this, so we attempted to try to work it out of him.

We talked for about 5 min asking all sorts of things trying to get the right combination out of him. Until finally we are one phrase away from getting it. Then WHAM some sh|thead who has been listening in on the whole deal (just far enough to hear but not attempting to help) yells out the last phrase and get the mission about 3 seconds before my slowing typing skills manage to say it myself.

I've debated camping the poor NPC like all the other missions campers do. However that is the worst possible thing I think I could do. It gives all the others that want to give it a go, a lack of chance at it. So next time I'm in that area and all alone, maybe I'll go get that mission. Just unfortunate that we are forced to share it with everyone.

>Do you want story-missions that are profession specific or not?

Yes, I think class specific missions would be a blast.

>Do you want side-defined missions, or missions for everyone?

Yes, Omni and Clan should be different in many aspects including missions.

>Do you want the quests to scale with your level? (So you may >take the same mission at lvl 30 and at 100, only with tougher >opponents?)

If the missions are tougher, I would like the item to be better (higher QL).

>Do you want many small, or fewer longer quests?

I would like smaller quests that eventually complete a large quest. EQ has its epic quest designed around many long, hideous, nightmarish camps. I quit EQ after the 9 months it took to get my enchanter epic. I would have much prefered many short camps that I could complete within a weeks time than the living hell EQ put me through.

>Is it ok with you to camp spawns, like we see in other >MMORPGs?

The main reason I switched from EverQuest to Anarchy was due to the camping issue. I refuse to spend one second of my time camping ever again. Even the EQ design team admits that camping is the single worst problem with the game. Please, DO NOT put static camps into this game! This question actually made me sick to my stomach. :-(

>Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content >mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you >even in these story missions? (Or do you want only outdoor >action?)

I want it all. Both indoor and outdoor would be great.

Destiny "Gunmetal" Croteau
    Omni Soldier

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast