Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Story missions

Responses.

I'll answer question-by-question.

1. Do you want story-missions that are profession specific or not?

I'd love that. Not all, but some of them. Quests for a specific class are a good idea. For example, an engineer quest might involve fixing some machinery somewhere with a special tool. An agent might have to sneak into a place and retrieve documents, etc.

2. Do you want side-defined missions, or missions for everyone?

Either way.

3. Do you want the quests to scale with your level? (So you may take the same mission at lvl 30 and at 100, only with tougher opponents?)

That would be nice, but not necessary so long as at the BEGINNING of the quest, it was apparent what level range was appropriate for it somehow.

4. Do you want many small, or fewer longer quests?

I prefer small, because not all of us play for endless hours at a time. If it could be completed in stages on multiple play sessions... that'd be fine.

5. Is it ok with you to camp spawns, like we see in other MMORPGs?

Absolutely not. That is one of the most horrible things in onlnie games, nobody likes having to sit around waiting for a spawn, especially when other players are all too happy to come charging in and take it from you when it finally appears. Waiting = no fun. This is a universal truth!

6. Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you even in these story missions? (Or do you want only outdoor action?)

That would be nice. I'd prefer to have the missions either indoors in a 'private' dungeon (teams allowed, of course) than somewhere camped. If outdoors, it would have to be random in the extreme to prevent people from stumbling upon something YOU were supposed to find/kill and interfereing with the mission.

An ideal personal story mission to me would pertain to your character (even if only generally) and involve you being assigned places to go which were accessible only by people doing the quest. This should not prevent OTHERS from doing the SAME quest at the same time -- which is why the personalized dungeons are a good thing. At no point should you have to wait hours (or even 15 minutes) for something to spawn.

Finally, if this is implemented well, it should involve more than going somewhere to kill someone, or going somewhere to get an item like the missions now (which I love.) Instead it should be more like.. "Get item A. Take item to someone at location B. That person asks you to go observe someone. When you come back, he nods and says, "Ah yes.. I was afraid of that. Please take this disk to his hideout at [coords] and use it on the mainframe there to sabotage their operations."

Etc.

Would be fun.

The reward items should not necessarily be incredible, but should be something you won't find anywhere BUT the mission. A different looking type of helmet.. an experimental backpack.. etc. Something useful. Best would be something you can use in addition to existing items.

A cool profession-specific mission idea might be 'training' you can go through. This would especially make sense for Omni people, but clans would have it also of course.

Training style missions would have to be something you and you ALONE are sent to do, which takes awhile to do and is a good challenge. Maybe done in segments you can complete one at a time. The end result might be a direct boost to a profession-specific skill and a change in title, or an item you can use which is unique to your profession.

How about, for the MP, a 'floating torch' replacement which looks like a tiny little glowing wisp, and while in use gives them muinor skill buffs. For fixers, a special set of gloves which enhance computer lit and look unique, etc. Engineers might get a toolbox which they could yield/summon that when held added to engineering skills. Etc. Just ideas.

Red face

Do you want story-missions that are profession specific or not?
    Both (more diversity in game)

Do you want side-defined missions, or missions for everyone?
    Both (more diversity in-game) We need (imho) missions for everyone dealing with storyline and other than storyline material.

Do you want the quests to scale with your level? YES
    (So you may take the same mission at lvl 30 and at 100,only with tougher opponents?) NO. Once again more diversity.

Do you want many small, or fewer longer quests? Both

Is it ok with you to camp spawns, like we see in other MMORPGs? No. No more spawn camping. ITs good a few are there but not too many.

Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you even in these story missions? (Or do you want only outdoor action?)

Yes/No/both. Also, story messages while we are on the mission itself. We can get the messages from items afixed to the areas. Some kind of item we can right click on or shift left click to get some info. Also, outside quests are good too.
    Missions, quests and the like should also be somthing away from the mission terminal. Being able to interweave auto-content will save some time for the programmers but is limiting diversity for the game. Something found as drop loot that gives the person their first step to achieve. Or info from an npc.

I like seeing these questions that FC is asking. Keep working on npc/game interactive quests and the RP will get better for the players. We need somthing to talk about to roleplay. Different but regular events to keep us focused. Are the last big things that happened (bombing in ENT and a few annoyances from the Dusty Ones) suppose to keep us talking with weeks worth of gaps till the next speck of storyline hits? If so, were doomed for Strong RP.
    Last edited by Grimmtooth; May 1st, 2002 at 02:58:56.

NO CAMPING!

Camping = boring, tedious, and sometimes hateful.
    Due to the extreme caffeine content I only serve Tanzanian Peaberry Coffee imported from Earth.
    4 out of 5 Bureaucrats prefer it over Menthol.

NO CAMPING!

Take a look at this thread for a nice discusion!
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...threadid=16399

Is it impossible to avoid camping on static npc missions? I hope they manage to do it, but perhaps they will need 2 x number of online users to do it
    Last edited by Snublefot; Mar 22nd, 2002 at 22:45:48.

Have to add this idea.

Guild specific missions. Preferably included together with each guild's guild-hall (something I know all guilds dream of, and we really hope to see this implemented sometime, make us pay for it if that makes it more interesting to add to the game). A mission generator that generates different missions for different kinds of organizations and different kinds for the members. A guild member could go get an assignment in the generator and this would be a mission he likely can solo. The guild leader can generate a mission that might require a small army to complete and a mid ranking officer could get missions for a team or two.

I like the idea of both, with rewards that befit the appropriate profession. I think that might also spread out the number of people doing each mission. Instead of competing with everyone for a mission, you're only competing with your own profession.

Also like the idea of both, for the same reasons.

Do you want the quests to scale with your level?
    Yes, BUT I think every character should only be allowed to do a mission once. That way no one camps the same mission over and over again, but when you do get around to doing a particular mission it will be an appropriate challenge.

Do you want many small, or fewer longer quests?
    A variety of quests would be good. I would enjoy longer more epic quests, but sometimes it's nice to just have a quick "go here, do this" quest.

Is it ok with you to camp spawns, like we see in other MMORPGs?
    That question to me is sort of like being asked "would you like to stand in line at the DMV?". It's not fun, and if everyone was only allowed to do a story mission once, I think that would cut back on a lot of the camping.

Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you even in these story missions? (Or do you want only outdoor action?)
    I think a mix would be good. It might be nice to get some hints when you get the mission as to whether or not there will be such action however (the hostages are in a bunker and..., he lives in a little cottage on a mountain top in..., etc...) might be good so people can choose.

Anyway, that's my $00.02
    - st|k
    - Midoritaka (rk2)

Exclamation My end of the poll is the following:

My end of the poll is the following:

1-Do you want story-missions that are profession specific or not?
    >Profession Specific

-------------------
    2-Do you want side-defined missions, or missions for everyone?
    >Sided, unless the quest is to rid the world of a common ennemi, then both.

------------------------
    3-Do you want the quests to scale with your level? (So you may take the same mission at lvl 30 and at 100, only with tougher opponents?)
    >Yes and no, yes in the sense that I would like to be able to do every quest regardless of my level and still feel I got a GREAT rewards for it, no in the sense that the rewards would have to scale to the mission, meaning it would be redonne every so often as you level. I would be more for it if you would get an item that would scale to the player. So quest x gives item x that has x properties modified upon player skill and not classified as a QL

---------
    4-Do you want many small, or fewer longer quests?
    >Both, preferably long quest with small sequences to complete overtime. (Though aacomplishements should

----------------
    5-Is it ok with you to camp spawns, like we see in other MMORPGs?
    >NO, I got better things to do then to try to outadammage others and standing around doing nothing for hours.

--------------------
    6-Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you even in these story missions? (Or do you want only outdoor action?)
    Yes, as long as said missions are enhanced. New mission content should be added every month on my opinion, as most of our time is spent looking at the same mission environment. Content being new indoor environments. (As an example, I never understood why a crashed ship would have a cave mission interior or the same interior as an office building.)

PS: WHen team missions come out, will single player missions be rebalanced so a player has a chance to solo 100% mission difficulty, if not, why do they exist in a solo player mission?

Side note, great article, loved it

Andertec, Soldier 133
    CircuitFixer, engie 95

Andertec, they exist so engineers can solo missions and Agents can sneak them and Fixers can blitz them.

Now on to the questions asked...

Yes, but not all of them. This game needs a massive influx of these missions. It has like 2, it needs like 2,000

Both! Mostly side defined though.

Do you want the quests to scale with your level? (So you may take the same mission at lvl 30 and at 100, only with tougher opponents?)

No! I want there to be enough quests that there will always be something neat for me to do at any level, not just recycle the same old same old.

Many small! I want to be able to finish one in 1-2 hours. Give some longer quests for higher lvl players.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
    Did I mention no?

Indoors is ok, but don't try to cheeze us by giving us the old mission skins and saying its a "new" static mission.

Give us BETTER HINTS on where missions are. I talked to Dodga, I couldnt find any keywords or make sense of anything he was saying. If I hadn't read it on the board I never would gotten him to say the right thing. It shouldn't be this vague.

John

Do you want the quests to scale with your level? (So you may take the same mission at lvl 30 and at 100, only with tougher opponents?)

-Yes to all 3

-Both would be nice.

Is it ok with you to camp spawns, like we see in other MMORPGs?]

-HELL NO!

-Sounds great

Chiming in,

Having to camp suxxor.

Camping sucks. Sucks suck sucks.

Oh, and also it sucks.

It's not fun.

Take it out of the game. Don't add any more of it.

That is all.

Wolfe has a great idea about guid missions. I would consider rejoining a guild for this. Here it is again.

Have to add this idea.
    Guild specific missions. Preferably included together with each guild's guild-hall (something I know all guilds dream of, and we really hope to see this implemented sometime, make us pay for it if that makes it more interesting to add to the game). A mission generator that generates different missions for different kinds of organizations and different kinds for the members. A guild member could go get an assignment in the generator and this would be a mission he likely can solo. The guild leader can generate a mission that might require a small army to complete and a mid ranking officer could get missions for a team or two.

It's all good to me, except: NO SPAWN CAMPING!! I live near a national park - if I want to camp I'll grab a tent and hit the road. When I log on I log to play, not to sit and waste the day away... :/

Lightbulb

Not an answer to the questions asked, but an idea that may cut down on the amount of camping to get a msn. When using the msn generaters you sometimes get left over stuff that I havent found a use for, like a secret information disk, and Toxic containment thingy, ect. Why not have a way to access the infromation, or turn in the special item. These leftovers could be used as triggers or starting information for longer quest. Just a thought. P.S. I'm semi-new to the game, pl dont flame me to badly..hehe.

Lab Tech Kellar
    R&D, Division 3

Yes! It would be great to have some prof-specific item that you can *always* get.

Yes! With the amnesty ended, having a clan mission in OT territory is not of much use.

YES! BUT please make these requirements reasonable. For example--the Foreman dungeon gives, among other things, Gamma Ejectors that are really useful around levels 40-50. However, it would take about three teams of lvl 40-50 people to get them (not counting uber-OE characters)

Bigger quests--we get the small ones already.

You're kidding, right? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I would prefer them generated this way--so that you won't run into someone else while doing the story mission yourself (like someone else camping the spawn).

Finally--thanks for asking us!

Talking Pretty nice

Nice sugestions...
    but I would like to see quests like DAoC with epic quests and quest series and th reward should be unique for everyone.. depending like on skills and lvl (such things)

But otherwise its a good sugestion, almost nothing to complain about (right now)

Angry NO CAMPING!!!!

NO CAMPING SPAWNS!!!

NO NO a thousand times NO!!!!

have I said it enough yet?

Spawn camping is why I left the other games and came to AO.

You start that crap and I'm outta here.

Takir

another .02 Creds

Both.... there should be some profession specific, that should yeild profession specific rewards, but the bulk should not be profession specific

Most missions should be sided, as that is supposed to be one of the main factors driving the stories in this game. However, there may be room for some general missions, but not alot.

I would love to see both the mission and the reward scale with the level... but I'd also like to see the number of times any one character can do the same mission limited. or at the very least, things should be set up so if one person is constantly running (IE Farming) the mission, this doesn't prevent other players from doing the same mission.

Both !!! There should be a good number of smaller quest, which can be expected to be completed in a few hours, by at most a small team, if not solo. There should also be a smaller amount of longer quest, which may take days (RL days, not game days) to complete, and may challenge a whole organization. There's no one size that fits all here.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

NEIT!!!!!!

NEIN !!!!!!

And any other language you care to say no in!!!!

If I want to spend hours arguing over spawn points, sitting around for many mind-numbing hours waiting for a spawn to pop, I'll go back and re-activate my EQ account !!!!

yes, great idea. It would add a nice touch to be trying to do something you've done before, but not have everything in the same exact place. But don't make all of them this way. Also consider having NPC's in public buildings, such as Babboon's

Me and everyone I know do not like to camp a boss mob! No camping please. I am already sick and tired of seeing the people sell shades of lubrication on ebay for insane amounts of real money. Its near impossible even for most of us common folk to even get near those items with the professional campers farming it for cash.

Please do something about it.

Otherwise anything that gives people more to do on AO is good in my book.
    Charles 'Kithrak' Houston - Equipment
    Administrator, Omni-Admin
    Bringing the politics of Rubi-Ka to life!

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-

1).Do you want story-missions that are profession specific or not?

Definately. I feel that there is a lack of Profession specific goals in this game right now.

The one thing I liked about some of the other MMORPG's on the market was how the classes/professions had goals to work toward (like Epic Weapons in EQ). It would be nice if these worked in some of the storyline from the game too (like a Fixer having to smuggle something from one side to the other, or an Agent having to assasinate one of the citizens from the other side, or something along those lines..).

2).Do you want side-defined missions, or missions for everyone?

Sided, for the role-playing side of me.

3).Do you want the quests to scale with your level? (So you may take the same mission at lvl 30 and at 100, only with tougher opponents?)

No, not really, just don't scale the reward either. If a level 100 character goes on a quest geared toward a level 30 character, then they should receive the same reward as the level 30 character. It'll give people something to work towards.

4).Do you want many small, or fewer longer quests?

Both.

5).Is it ok with you to camp spawns, like we see in other MMORPGs?

Definately not. That just turns into a huge headache for everyone involved.

6).Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you even in these story missions? (Or do you want only outdoor action?)

Yeah, but more outdoors type stuff would be a welcome change from the standard auto-content mission.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast