Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Story missions

Camping is boring no end...

If its so dang important to restrict someone from doing the quest over and over and over and...
    well put a personal timer on the quest then for -None-'s sake IE you finish the quest, you get a timer set that makes you unable to do the quest again for x amount of time, the NPC stills stands there but he tells you to "Sod off" until your *personal* timer resets, that can't be hard to implement can it?

I have never done the Dodga quest because I can't be arsed to sit around staring at the sky waiting for him to spawn... its boring no end.

Maybe that is what you want us to be; Bored from missions, bored to tears from running around the land in vain looking for something to kill, bored from camping a static NPC for a quest?

Some people might just get to bored to actually bother to pay for more boring stuff the next month (not a threat... just a reminder of how the human brain works)

Lightbulb Feedback

First let me say that since everyone is so used to fetching missions out of the mission terminals, you will be more successful using the mission terminals as a starting point for special missions.

Please make them profession specific. When I first started doing missions, I was playing my Engineer. The first mission I got was an Engineering mission. "How cool!" I thought. An Engineer fixing a radar display. This is fantastic. I can't wait to see what my Doctor will have to do. Maybe rush in and kill all the enemies to save some terminally poisoned hostage. No, no, he got to fix a radar display too.

My 2 credits

Vespucci Lvl 70 something Adv.

Talking Wow, sounds great.

Wow, this sounds great. I think these story missions are just what AO needs. I for one would love to take on missions that gave me a feel for the history of this world. This was one of my favorite things about the quest in Asherons Call, I often got more enjoyment out of the lore I found during the quest than from the eventual quest reward.

I would love variety in quest. As someone has already said, keep us guessing. A quest that sounds simple could eventually take days/weeks to complete or it could be done in a few hours. As long as the reward/knowledge gained is porportional to the time spent, you will make many people happy.

As for camping. If you have to do this then steal a page from DAOC's quest system. In thier system everyone in a group recieves the quest componets when a monster is killed. This is a nice feature, and allows two or more people waiting at an area to team up and complete the spawn camp to gether, instead of argueing and fighting over who should get the kill. This could even be done to help current quest like Alvin/Droga. Simply allow people to group up and complete the quest together, as long as they have the items they need in there inventory.

Anyway I look forward to the day these changes are made. Keep up the good work.

Basically, I'd prefer having so many quests around of all types (profession or side-specific, or both, as well as general "free for all") that people can't all complete every quest.
    As it is now, with Dodga, it's something everyone has to do at least once, which means it kind of loses its fascination... You do it because everyone else have those shoulderpads, and you want them too, and not because it's actually fun. (Or would be if it wasn't as camped)

So make so many different missions that people can finish the ones they like, without feeling obliged to seek out the rest of the missions too. And if possible, make some kind of random reward, to avoid people taking the mission only because they know it gives a cool reward. Maybe make it give one of 2 or 3 possible rewards (maybe they're pretty much alike, like the new ICC cloaks, or maybe a few completely different things). Just so that you don't know exactly what you'll get once you've completed the mission.

And try to bring a bit of variation into them. Like maybe you have to go to a random zone to find whatever the mission is about, instead of everyone who gets the mission knows exactly where to go to complete it, even before they get it

Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you even in these story missions? (Or do you want only outdoor action?

Sounds really cool

But I guess the most important thing is to have so many different missions around that people will actually run around wearing different stuff, instead of everyone using the same cloak/shoulderpad/weapon from the same mission, simply because there are nothing else that compares to it

Do you want story-missions that are profession specific or not?

>>>The missions should be for a certain group of professions. Like casters or soldier types. There should be some really high level profession specific mission for epic weapon style items.

Do you want side-defined missions, or missions for everyone?

>>>Yes and some of the neutral ones should be open to everyone. Making the some of the mission side-defined allow you to put in items that help to balance or define the sides.

Do you want the quests to scale with your level? (So you may take the same mission at lvl 30 and at 100, only with tougher opponents?)
    >>>NO, they should be for set levels. Like someones else said "So you have something to look forward to." Also the lowest level will still be the most twink able and thus experienced player will just fly throught the mission with low level guys.

Do you want many small, or fewer longer quests?
    >>>At the higher levels they should be longer and shorter at the lower levels. Also put some missions in that are a bunch of connected short mission that way a person that doesn't want to spend hour can still do at least a part of a larger mission. One interesting mission in EQ yielded an amulet( i think) at the beginning and then after each next step the amulet would get upgraded.

Is it ok with you to camp spawns, like we see in other MMORPGs?

>>>At the really higher level and for really good weapons its almost a most as its the only know way to prevent the game from getting flooded with the item. Also the really good item should be made no-drop so that people don't farm them.

Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you even in these story missions? (Or do you want only outdoor action?)
    >>> Yes but you should either not use it often or create special dungeon for the mission. I don't want to get the same generic cave mission for a large high level story mission. It would be ok for a small part of a multi-step mission.

Question: Will you be putting in epic weapons style items in the game? They were one of two cool things in the EQ. The other was the high level areas like Planes of Hate and the giant and dragon city in SoV.

Comment: Before you release a new big area make sure to include some story mission with the area. They help to give it character.

quick answers...

OK, I'll keep it short and answer the questions:

Yes please, would be very much appreciated to feel like an agent.

Side-defined missions please - let's contribute to the final outcome of this conflict.

Do you want the quests to scale with your level? (So you may take the same mission at lvl 30 and at 100, only with tougher opponents?)
    Yes, stops lvl 150 peeps camping lvl 50 static missions - you know who you are...

Something for the evenings and something for the weekend sir

Aaarrrggghhhhhhh HELL NO! I got a job and family too lol.

Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you even in these story missions? (Or do you want only outdoor action?)
    Sure and to stray off a little here - auto-content missions should generate items that are more useful to your profession.

Regards, Grey.
    =============
    AO Shades, a website for all shady characters

Saipo - lvl 200 MA
    Greyman - Agent
    Shadedgrey - A shade of course!
    =============

First off this sounds really cool. I like it. Now for the answers to your questions.

*Do you want story-missions that are profession specific or not?*

I would like both. Profession specific would be cool but it also has to be for everyone also.

*Do you want side-defined missions, or missions for everyone?*

There needs to have both here also. There needs to be sided missions and basic storyline missions. Maybe the little missions can be for everyone and the medium/larger ones sided. But it really needs to have both kinds of content.

*Do you want the quests to scale with your level? (So you may take the same mission at lvl 30 and at 100, only with tougher opponents?)*

Only if the mobs are within your level range. If you do this you need to knock the HP down on mission mobs for solo purposes. I would hate to have to get a team just so I can solo this. It would be nice though to have some missions that you need various professions along with you to use their unique abilities.

*Do you want many small, or fewer longer quests?*

Both. Not everyone has the time to do long quests. Make it so you have a few quests that are short, able to be completed in 2-3 hours or so.

*Is it ok with you to camp spawns, like we see in other MMORPGs?*

How can I say this without sounding rude? NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!

Its bad as it is trying to get items from dungeon mobs, trying to compete with other people too is not exceptable. Make boss mobs in general spawn faster.

*Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you even in these story missions? (Or do you want only outdoor action?)*

Outdoor is preferred, ever since I have to go to missions to level, I am sick of indoor missions. Please make most of these outdoors. I think that some do need to be indoor for story purposes too though.

This really sounds good. I do think that there should be NO camping. Mobs are too powerful to solo. If you want team quests then leave them as is.

I hope that the loot dropped will be worthwhile. I don't want to spend hours on a quest and get loot for another profession. If I do a quest then I want the reward to be profession specific at the least.

Any addition of game content will be highly praised. Looks good, I am trying my best to keep a positive attitude lately about this game and this helps.

Erm...

Yes to everything except the following question...with more variety being better...

Out of place question:

Q: 'Is it ok with you to camp spawns, like we see in other MMORPGs?'

A1: Don't you think that maybe there is a reason I am not playing these other MMORPGs?

A2: It is ok with you if I stop paying for AO?

A3: Sure, so long as camping is restricted to RK-3

=)

Actually, now that I think about it, I have this strong urge to stare stupidly at my screen for hours on end...

-Religion
    (for the sarcasm impaired [i.e. most people] the above was sarcasm. I will quit if this game goes down the camp path of a couple of other horrid mmog out there...*cough*eq*cough*eqlite*cough*

Camping

First I want to start off by thanking Mr. Halgi for actually asking the community what they want to see in a meaningful way. Now we can only hope that they listen and implement what we want and not do there own thing anyway.

With that said there is now no doubt in my mind that there is a very serious communication problem between internals at FC and the community. There is hardly a section on this entire board that does not have some mention of how terrible camping is and what can be done about it. It is obvious that even if these boards are read by FC employees at some given time, the info never gets anywhere anyway.

READ your boards FC, seriously. Not only should you NEVER EVER intoduce another camping situation, you should fix the ones that allready exsist. Someone allready posted a link to my thread regaurding a possible solution to one of the problems. I have read 100's of great ideas on how to stop it and still have it be functional. Please seriously consider removing camping from your game. This is suppose to be fun exciting and challenging, not a mindless waste of time. FIX IT, CAMPING IS A SERIOUS GAME MECHANICS DESIGN FLAW AND NOT A PLAYER PROBLEM, and no FC camping is not a "feature" that anyone would want implimented.

As for the rest of the questions, I am in majority agreeance.

"Random Quests ???"

As everyone here, I'm against camping, I'd like both for all the other questions ...

How can we help "against camping" ? Wouldn't it be possible to have a starting point/event/person... for each Quest, that as in Missions creates a personnal key for that mission. That key would determine a "variation" in the events following. Instead of having to go and talk to Andre (Tir), you'd have to go and talk to Peter(Borealis) and so on. Some parts of the quest could be generated (in distinct zones from "common missions") whereas other would be in the outdoor scene. BUT, if some part of the Quest was to kill a creature in an outdoor scene, you could have to kill a distinct target from other people following the same Quest ...

In essence, the "Random Quest" could have a rich scenario, while still beeing unique for each of the people making it...

We could have the same for dungeons, where some parts (where the treasure/big boss is) would be locked, and 'privatized' the same way missions are.

That's my idea, and I don't know how much it is doable. I don't know if it really give an answer to the problems presented by Quests, and I don't know how much I'm understandable...

Alexxandra.
    Last edited by Alexxandra; Mar 22nd, 2002 at 19:35:05.

Fantastic ideas Funcom, Bravo!

Here's my response to the questions posed:

Yes, Profession specific missions would greatly enhance the "feel" of my character. Not only would this make players feel like they are being given special treatment it would also prolong the depth and excitement of the game as a player could complete the mission a second time with a different character and still have the mission be somewhat unique, even if only the reward is different.

Side-defined missions that add to storyline and enhance the atmosphere of the political structure. Omni missions that delve into the secret Biological experiments and operations; Clan power struggles and infiltration; Neutral information gathering and fence sitting trying to balance/steal power where it lies. Some missions of course could be fore everyone.

I would like the missions to scale to level but only so long as I don't get stuck with a cool unique item for my profession at level 50 that is useless at level 150. If unique items are rewarded at variable level missions that coded to that level then everyone would wait till higher level to get those items thus making low level missions barren.

A blend of short and long quests would be nice.

Camping spawns only leads to harsh words and resentment between players. I've played MMOG for a few years now and cannot recite one positive moment where camping was a good thing. Low level spawns will be controlled by higher level players who can kill faster to either get the item for a low level friend or themselves. Turbine of AC tried to implement various schemes to reduce camping from level caps on dungeons to multi path/lvl dungeons and special/random dungeon portals... Regardless of their attempt there was always someone camping.
    The missions in AO are one of the best features of the game due to how it is tailor made for a player to explore and complete themselves.

I really enjoy indoor missions and would have no problem with their use. However seeing more interesting or possibly unique textures and rooms that carry the theme of the mission would be best. Let the mission layout tell part of the story.
    Biomed

Antimatter

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you."
    -Nietzsche

All otions seems viable in context,but no bloody spawn camping,, that is just to boring,to timeconsuming doing noting,no,no,.no camping
    Hermy
    Shadelore
    Retired.

> Do you want story-missions that are profession specific or not?

Not professions specific - why limit who enjoys the success of the mission?

> Do you want side-defined missions, or missions for everyone?

missions for everyone - see above

> Do you want the quests to scale with your level? (So you may take the same mission at lvl 30 and at 100, only with tougher opponents?)

Scalable. Great idea. Avoid making a new throwaway character just to try and enjoy parts of the story that you didnt know about when you were "the right level" to get involved.

> Do you want many small, or fewer longer quests?

Either is fine as long as its big enough to be a real story.

> Is it ok with you to camp spawns, like we see in other MMORPGs?

Of course not! There are a few static missions now and you must know how camping already spoils them!

> Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you even in these story missions? (Or do you want only outdoor action?)

Definitely ok. This would help get rid of campers/exploiters too I imagine.

Lightbulb Solution to Camping problem

I HAVE A SOLUTION TO THE CAMPING PROBLEM.

Sorry for the all caps but I know that this is gonna get buried in the spam.

Why not make the guys who assign the NPC missions wander around? I mean, why does Dodga have to stay in one place? Just have these guys wander around in the desert somewhere, and make them worth NO EXP. That way even if people kill them, they just respawn somewhere in the zone. Zones like Wailing Wastes would be GREAT for this.

Just my 2 cents worth.

On generated areas ...

I know it would be quite difficult to explain 'realistically' with the rest of the world, but wouldn't it be possible to generate randomly outdoor scenes ???

Exclamation camping

Hey, FC....maybe you haven't been paying attention.....but not only will everyone be majorly disappointed in any new quests, the only skill you need to complete being ungodly patience, but

WE WOULD LIKE THE CURRENT CAMPED NPC'S REVANPED TO FIX THAT TOO!!!!!

There are ALREADY camped-to-heck npc's out there...people keep telling me that there is some vest, and some shades (one from nugget, heck i even have a good idea where he spawns) that 99.9% of people will NEVER SEE except on auction, and those people ain't selling, they are teasing.

fix alvin....fix dagda, fix nugget, give all players a chance to do the quests.....not a guarantee, but at least a CHANCE.

you already have camped npc's JUST like in other mmorpgs...why not try something different? why not learn from other's mistakes?

Talking

"Do you want story-missions that are profession specific or not?"
    YEEEEEEEEEES, Make them so an agent can sneak, crats mezz and so on.. please... )

"Do you want side-defined missions, or missions for everyone?"
    side-defined missions!! Lets make this something to get RP'ing going!

"Do you want the quests to scale with your level? (So you may take the same mission at lvl 30 and at 100, only with tougher opponents?)"
    No, not really, give us something to look forward to..

"Do you want many small, or fewer longer quests?"
    BOTH!!!!!!

"Is it ok with you to camp spawns, like we see in other MMORPGs?"
    WTF.. where have you been..
    Camping is already on its way to KILL this game, like most other MMORPG's.... Camping = BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD (ok, get the point?????)

"Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you even in these story missions? (Or do you want only outdoor action?)"
    Both indoors and outdoors.. please...

Edit: tried to fix some typos....

First of all, love the quests.

Second of all, hate camping.

Camping takes everything away from the whole point of story missions. People don't sit there and get into the story, they are just in a hurry to get to that spwan.

As for the rest of the questions. I agree with the guy in the first response on this thread.

Xeraseus
    Xeraseus

Why do I keep playing? *edit* disreguard, ditched this game *edit*

Why Can't Chown Save?

Biding my time until the time is right........

No Camping!!! And Other Answers

Camping is boring. I do not want to sit and wait for 3 hours for an NPC to spawn just so I can talk to him.

Make the items NODROP. This would get rid of all of the people camping the quests just for ebay loot.

The current mission generation system would be a great enhancemnt to the story missions. Some nice indoor, "dungeons" for unique loot would be great!!

Do not generate normal loot as quest rewards. We can already get normal loot. Unique loot for a unique quest!

This sounds like a great addition!! Thanks everyone!!

Why not have these special missions just pop up in the mission terminal every once in a while? That would end npc camping.

Give it a special icon or something, so you know what it is.

And, just have it say. "We need you to go talk to (insert npc name here) in borealis, and he will tell you what to do"

Poof, NPC spawns, and waits for you.

An Idea anyway...
    Santacharm
    Enforcer

Sopprano
    Fixer
    Metthias
    Meta Physicist

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast