Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Story missions

1: Do you want story-missions that are profession specific or not?

YES!! My god, YES! Will I finally be able to do something Engineer related?!? But, it would also be nice to have a few missions that aren't profession specific also.

2: Do you want side-defined missions, or missions for everyone?

Hmm.. Both would be nice, but maybe with a tad more sided ones? Neutrals should have the possibility of completing both sided and non-sided quests.

3: Do you want the quests to scale with your level? (So you may take the same mission at lvl 30 and at 100, only with tougher opponents?)

Not sure.. I'd say no at first, but maybe it's a good idea.

4: Do you want many small, or fewer longer quests?

Both It would be really nice to have a quest that will take you months to solve, but that does not mean camping a certain mob to get part X etc. for weeks and weeks.

5: Is it ok with you to camp spawns, like we see in other MMORPGs?

NO! Please listen to the majority here.. very few people like to camp!

6: Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you even in these story missions? (Or do you want only outdoor action?)

I want both outdoor and indoors missions. Lots of people I know don't even know where DAV, Stret West Bank etc. is, so if these missions could encourage people to travel a bit as well, it will be very nice.

I'll make it short :
    Sided missions (don't reward clanners with omni items PLEASE)
    profession specific
    Level requirement, then scaling for higher lvls players
    Many small missions (1-3 hours full game time), and some BIG quests, 1-3 days
    NO camping pleaaase! : what about the ones who pays a time related bill to go on internet ? (56k modem, numeris ...)
    Some outdoors, some indoors, depending on profession, maybe

That's all for now

Thumbs up Quests

Replies from a more Casual gamer:

Do you want story-missions that are profession specific or not?

Yes, but teams should have some reason to come along and help beyond common guilds or orgs.

Do you want side-defined missions, or missions for everyone?

Sided missions would be great. Don't leave out the nuetrals.

Do you want the quests to scale with your level? (So you may take the same mission at lvl 30 and at 100, only with tougher opponents?)

That would be ideal. With QLs that would be a very workable answer for many items rewards. However, I wouldn't like people to keep running them every few levels to get more Uber versions of item X. One trip to the well each, you pick when.

Do you want many small, or fewer longer quests?

Smaller ones that make up a long one are fine, long ones that drag out forever will lose us casuals. I know the hardcores are louder, but we pay too.

Is it ok with you to camp spawns, like we see in other MMORPGs?

You aren't serious here are you? Of course not, casuals cannot camp, we don't get that kind of playing time.

Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you even in these story missions? (Or do you want only outdoor action?)

It is fine to have the mission styles used as a base, but if it feels too much like a normal mission, well, why bother then? I wouldn't mind seeing a wacky not what you are expecting mission twist factor thrown into normal missions every know and then. In mission objective changes or NPC with alternate takes for a reward would be great. Wouldn't mind if it was one in twenty, it would help keep them more interesting. You could have an NPC in a mission assign another mission for instance.

Thanks for listening,

Casual99

Camping BAD. BAAAAAAAAD.

Even worse is camping by high levels that destroy entire hunting grounds for low level players. Consider the Athen Shire junkyard. That used to be a GREAT spot for L 15-25 characters to cut their teeth on hunting. Now it is dominated by L 150 characters waiting for the junkyard king. They kill eveything (all grey to them), leaving nothing for the youngsters whom the area was intended for.

Make quests take place outdoors, but then conclude "inside". This allows you to do a ton of things:
    1. If acharacter has already completed the quest once, cannot enter and complete it again.
    2. If character is too high a level, can't enter to complete quest (elimiates guild item farming).
    3. If a SOLO quest, can't bring his L 200 friend to help him run through the quest.
    4. If a Level specific group quest, can't bring L 200 friends to help you run the quest.
    5. Eliminates camping.

I would love to enter the steps of madness and have it reset for my team. My team and I could fight our way through and EARN the prize. Rather than follow the L200s through and see the line wating to get the boss to spawn. If you wanted to get overly fancy you could reset the dungeon based on the level of the team.

Profession specific quests?
    Of course. Though start with non-prof specific quests to provide content for people, and then add profession specific quests (suggestion: let players submit quests to you. This let's us feel like we're contributing, and we can come up with cool sh1+ occasionally).

Bleys

Thumbs up Hells yeah.

Many have stated their opinions on this, and I can only stress the importance of the missions being sided, I'm tired of my lvl 44 mp going to the mission site and finding 150th lvl omni's there who won't let me complete my mission, because they have the same one. Bleah! Phooey!
    Give me liberty, or give me a bronto-burger (or kill me)!

Whaddevah," We will pillage your women and sodomize your towns!" Corny"The wise-cracking slayer of many!"
    Yahmuddah "Yeah, yours! Whatchagonnadoooo?

Thumbs up

Just dropping my thoughts on this.
    Some of each.

Side-specific. This way it will be easier to get in involved with the story. However, a few NPCs who would like to recruit anyone is fine.

Do you want the quests to scale with your level? (So you may take the same mission at lvl 30 and at 100, only with tougher opponents?)
    I prefer non-scalable.

Long quests (as long as it does not involve camping ). If I want a short mission I go to the mission booths (although they are getting a little long in the high levels).

No thx. I prefer drive-through
    Camping is a no-no. No camping!

Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you even in these story missions? (Or do you want only outdoor action?)
    Auto-content could be good for the variation of things. But a few unique and wondrous things are preferable.

1: Do you want story-missions that are profession specific or not?
    I say no. I think rigid, artificial professions distinctions are bad. Of course some missions may be designed so you need the help of a certain class to do it more easily, for instance you need good crowd control capabilities because you need to get through an area filled with mobs in a limited amount of time.. or you need to debuff a certain skill from a mob to avoid it using a super ability (like neleb).. or super speed buffs to run from some nasty creeper.. or engineer warps because only one char can get through a certain door.. but nothing really stops you from doing the mission without the specific class if you're really stubborn, and maybe a little higher level than intended!
    Also if the mission reward is an item for, say fixers, it ends up being a quest for fixers anyways, no need to enforce that though.

2: Do you want side-defined missions, or missions for everyone?
    I guess a bit of both.. this depends on plot really.. if it makes sense for that mission's plot for either a clanner or an omni to undertake it, why not? Just make sure everyone (including neutrals) gets their share.

3: Do you want the quests to scale with your level? (So you may take the same mission at lvl 30 and at 100, only with tougher opponents?)
    I would say no, but do it if it's the only way to ensure some content for every level range, do it!.. depends really on how many quests you plan to insert into the game.

4: Do you want many small, or fewer longer quests?
    A bit of both I guess. Some quests everyone can manage, with a little patience, and some that require massive exploring, multiple raids etc..

5: Is it ok with you to camp spawns, like we see in other MMORPGs?
    Not really.. havn't tried much of this myself but i think it's really boring..
    I think the best way to avoid camping if you really have to limit how many times an object gets gathered by players, to keep it rare, is keep long boss spawns (but not as long) and have the boss spawn more unpredictably, both timewise and locationwise.. this way getting super item (or quest for superitem) requires exploration, and a bit of luck, rather than just good old stubborn patience!
    If limiting the availability of the item through spawn times is not an issue I see no reason to create camping situations! Let the npc give the quest to multiple groups etc

6: Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you even in these story missions? (Or do you want only outdoor action?)
    Why not? though we are all getting a bit bored of indoors missions, especially the map types that are most frequent..
    But if mission plot requires it, why not..
    Etchu solitus omni MP 103 on rubika1.. just left departmentX for First Order..
    Feydrutha nanomage omni NT 25 on rubika1 retired atm
    Rodja atrox omni soldier 20 n00b!

OMG Yes !!! ( EQ epic quests are nice )

If they re story quests, they should be sided

If the reward changes too then yes

few long quests ( i want to feel that i accomplished something great )

NOOOO NOOO NOOO please funcom make AO different than the others MMORPG, camping is boring and can make the players very angry ( camping for 3hours and kill is stolen by a higher lvl team that just came to the spot .. )

a mix of both can be nice

BTW : this project sounds very nice, keep on !
    Last edited by persoue; Mar 22nd, 2002 at 18:00:27.
    Persoue agent 205

Why not make it so that a lot of small missions are linked together into one large? If you complete one small, you get a small reward, and a hint on how to gain even better rewards, and complete the next step.

You now get access to some other missions, and if you follow the chain long enough, you get a complete part of the story, and a reward that is worth working for.

If you want to just do one mission quickly, you can do so.

If you want to dig into it, and do a large chain of missions, you can do so.
    *poof*

Finally free from this nightmare!

Jon Helgi Thorarinson

Hmm sounds familiar... Are you maybe Icelandic and have a Brother named Runar.??

Şiğ gerğuğ Askur Yggdrazils hér um áriğ?

No

"Is it ok with you to camp spawns, like we see in other MMORPGs?"

Absolutely not, that is what sucks about the current dungeouns is the camping, you have the tech to spawn multiple rooms of the same place, so use it....

Sided Missions would be nice...

Diffrent Missions not just Higher QL (hehe) of mission
    "It's not a spelling error, it's art"
    "No need to argue or praise my genious"

Thumbs down just want to reiterate what others have posted

NO CAMPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't think of anything more boring and frustrating than being forced to sit and wait and wait and wait for a npc or mob to spawn, and then having to compete with people to interact with it.

This is a game, its supposed to be fun ; if i want boring and frustrating, I'll go back to work

In a sense no camping is bad, but the reason people feel they have to camp is they to want the unique items. But to have the items unique in the first place you must restrict access to them. This accounts for the slow spawn, to reduce the items about.
    So its a choice either unique items and camping or no unique items give everyone a chance to get them. Personally I would go for no camping and no unquie items.

So far all story missions have been team ones, this means that profession in the team did not matter this is fair enough. But if you are going to start solo missions it would be nice to make them profession specific. Its hard to see how your going to make this work ?

Yes at the moment Funcom can only do 1 missions a month at best for a player at a certain level this means we are able to do one mission about every 3 months. It would be much better it they scaled.

I think we want the quests to become part of the story. There are two many one of events which never get explain or carry on from one month to the next. IE they are not really stories at all. You should have a few main chars behind the story which one month may lead to a short mission or may lead to a long mission. You may have a number of small missions connected which play out over a number of small missions.

Sure I think I can speak for a large number of people, the missions are very good much better than the total static ones in EQ etc. But after level 80 it becomes all very much the same, it would be nice if sometimes a surprize was found in a dugeon, some clue. a bit of information about the storyline. Even an NCP who could tell a you about the history of Omni. Just something to break up what is becoming a boring task.

hmmmm lets see here.

1) Do you want story-missions that are profession specific or not?

FOR GOD'S SAKE YES!!!!
    give an NT a reason to try and get a group together to go get some pimpin NT ONLY item/reward and spend 2 weeks trying to get it!!
    i DARE you!!
    i'd love nothing more than the ability to go do "quests" to enhance my "specific" character and raise her status in the world of Nano Tech's. and i'm sure everyone else might feel the same way about their proffesion.
    the game is lacking "player/character uniqueness." there is no uber items out there that you can get to say "hey, look at this! its really hard to get and i have it!"
    i run around with a friggin banjo in a futile attempt to be a little bit different.
    come on! help us out here!

2) Do you want side-defined missions, or missions for everyone?

Side please!
    getting a mission which required you to travel to Omni territiry (or Clan) and risk dying while trying to get to the mission would be cool. You can use that to seperate some higher leveled quests from lower level and keep n00bs from getting items too early.
    Being an NT i'm sure alot of other 130+ players can handle a couple shots from a guard. Assuming we dont have to agro 15 guards at the NPC site/entrance and try to fight our way through them.
    Some common sense would go far in that department.
    remember, there is a political strugle going on. why would i want to go get items that Omni use? make up some "Clanner only/Omni only items!" set us apart from each other by more than just a political title.

3) Do you want the quests to scale with your level? (So you may take the same mission at lvl 30 and at 100, only with tougher opponents?)

that would be a waste of your time.
    besides, you just called it a mission. not a quest.

if you make level specific quests, dont make us goto the same place 500 times in our life getting harder MOBs every time we go. thats just boring.
    thats called "A Mission." we have those already.
    we need "quests." this means "going to several places for one goal and never going back there except in thought to say -hehe ya, i did that quest..."
    going the same place every 10-20 levels doesnt get us out exploring the world. we can just go sit in BS shouting for a group to help with our mission... er, quest if thats the case. wait. that would be a mission. we do that now...

4) Do you want many small, or fewer longer quests?

Mix it up. small quests and big quests. just please dont turn them into missions. make them "quests."

5) Is it ok with you to camp spawns, like we see in other MMORPGs?

Sure, i dont mind camping. make it a political or mayhem zone so we can fight for it. that should make it interesting!
    =O)
    but if you create this situation, please dont make it so that the NPC will only accept the mission from 1 person and then disapear for 3 hours.
    make the NPC static or set the spawn time relative to the uniqueness/uberness of the reward but balance it with the amount of trouble it is to complete the quest from the begining. if you quest for 2 weeks you should not have to sit in a group of 30 other people waiting for an NPC to spawn and argue over "who gets him first."

6) Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you even in these story missions?

NOOO!!!
    missions are missions! we are talking about quests here!!
    if i need a new "auto-content reward" i'll go do a mission at a mission terminal. make these quests OUT DOORS! after lvl 100 most of us spend our days locked up in some mission and hardly ever see the light of day except to go save or replace a group member.
    we need sunshine! a break from the cold stale air in missions!

now for my $.02
    Attn: Funcom

the only thing i would really like to emphasize here is that you make a DRASTIC difference between missions and quests. so far, you've done a good job but the questions you've asked kinda scare me.
    please dont waste your time simply changing the name of the category from "mission" to "quest" and making no difference between the make-up of the two.

i want to do a quest for some UNIQUE!! item that sets me apart from the rest of the world (or at least players under/around my level) and the other side of the political struggle.
    if you turn quests into missions, you're wasting your time. no one will bother. and please make the loot/reward worth going after. something with stats that is better than regular mission/shop junk.
    there is no point in wasting time doing a quest for an item that is not worth the reward.
    example 1) i quest for 2 weeks to get an item that will give me +30 Matter Creation.
    THAT would be worth doing.
    example 2) i quest for 2 weeks for an item that only gives 2-5 points to a skill or AC.
    that is not worth the time.
    (while we're at it, some MC buffing armor/items would be cool, too. Pillows and a lvl 200 pistol arent all that great anymore.)

and make some quests that are solo'able and some that require a team effort.

Speaker's Note: The statement "Quest for 2 Weeks" is a variable to a hypothetical situation. Not a request or desire for a 2 week long quest.

thanks!

**dont bother flaming me. i wont be back to read it. thanks!**

Kotashi
    133.5 Nano Tech
    Lost Chapter

Red face Lets keep it simple

Yes.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sides...all three.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes.

Both.

No, nay never-no more!

both would be nice.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The more various the mission are the merrier, right?
    Don´t want to get bored from doing quest b/c they are the same (don´t think we have to worry about that though =) )
    Last edited by Morden; Mar 22nd, 2002 at 18:31:18.

- I would have to say yes please!

- Sided missions and missions for everyone.

- OMG Yes, and make the spawn sites for quests at different places dependant on players level. So we do not have to compete with players near lv 200 when others are in the lv 20's. Will help the camp situation!

- I feel happy for even getting a quest, takes weeks to figure out what to say 'exactly' to the right npc. I hope players are able to find both types of quests, be nice to be able to finish one in a matter of days while some others may take months. Problem with long quests is that the content team needs to keep the quest fun and interesting for a longer duration...

- I will start by saying whatever you are smoking please do not give me any
    NO NO NO and some more no's thrown in your general direction. I have sent petitions with the alvin/dogma quest. With similar quests for clan and omni that have to find random drops in the same spot, that is further heavily camped usually by high lv players that find it amusing. Then to top that off once you manage to get all the parts together you have to attempt to find an npc that is never around. That is just an example of how 'not' to do a quest. I wont even get into the npc loot carrying sites that are camped 24/7. Someone had mentioned Asherons Call's system about timers, I agree that timers are good.

- Both. Be neat to pull a random mission that ends up being quest related.

It would also be nice if the players could have some tools or blank mission templates (icons) to create player missions. So if I wanted a guildmate or another unknown player to play a part in a player/guild event I could do this. Pick mission layout - boss mob - reward is item(s) i place in area etc... Also I was thinking it would be neat if Guild leaders may be given some types of medals (bonuses or no bonuses) to hand out every now and then to thier subordinates.

Just to throw my hat into the ring...
    I have never done an npc mission...why? Because they are always so stupidly camped I never get the opportunity. Sorry, but I am not playing this game so that I can sit on my duff at rising sun for 4 hours in order to get a mission; the game should be entertaining, not hurry up and wait.

I think there ought to be a way so that those of us who have lives outside of gameland can do the missions as well... is there any way to speed up the respawn time or increase the number of npc missions so that this whole camping thing is alleviated?

Just my opinion, yada yada yada

Cool

Question 1: Do you want story-missions that are profession specific or not?

Answer: I think there should be a few of these mission out there that give rare nanos or other items that you dont need to assemble an army to get

Question 2: Do you want side-defined missions, or missions for everyone?

Answer 2: Hell yes i dont want some omni scum in my neck of the woods

Question 3: Do you want the quests to scale with your level? (So you may take the same mission at lvl 30 and at 100, only with tougher opponents?)

Answer 3: Yes this would be cool but you do relize if this is done there are alot of professions that cant solo yellow by themselves

Question 4: Do you want many small, or fewer longer quests?

Answer: A lot of small ones is great but if there are longer ones put in make sure the reward is a good one like a really hard to get nano

Question 5: Is it ok with you to camp spawns, like we see in other MMORPGs?

Answer 5: This is unaccecptable No its not ok this makes the game borning and just a drag to play

Question 6: Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you even in these story missions? (Or do you want only outdoor action?)

Answer 6: No mission's are boring and we all get enough of this lets make them outdoor mission only

Now some of my ideas

1. Is it possible to say make a Npc com running up to you and start talking to you "like i got a mission for you " or something instead of us having to try and find this one person (Maybe alos based of your current level)

Brisbanevi -Level 124 Nt

"Do you want story-missions that are profession specific or not?"

Sure, profession specific things are always cool, just make sure the item reward is suited for the profession and that every profession has some story-quests.

"Do you want side-defined missions, or missions for everyone?"

Same idea as before, but balance is the most important thing, if you cant manage to make sided story missions and have balance at the same time dont do it!

"Do you want the quests to scale with your level? (So you may take the same mission at lvl 30 and at 100, only with tougher opponents?)"

I think the difficulty should remain the same regardless of level, so those who have spent time leveling see the advantage of an easier story-mission. A level 30 should not be able to compete with a level 100 in the same story mission.

"Do you want many small, or fewer longer quests?"

I would much rather see lots of smaller quests. This way the envioronment, story and the ideas are contantly shifting. The more different experiences a player goes through, the more fun it is. As you said hunting at camps eventually gets boring, a prefect example. Also you would discover new quest much more often with smaller missions, which is always exciting.

"Is it ok with you to camp spawns, like we see in other MMORPGs?"

NO! NO! NO! Camping spawn has to be the most boring activity in AO or any other MMORPG. Please NO! Sitting around staring at scenery is only enjoyable for about 10 min, then it becomes drudgery. Especially when there is competition! When you camp a spawn for a long time only to have some other person or team get the reward it SUCKS! Then you have to wait allllll over again for new spawn.

"Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you even in these story missions? (Or do you want only outdoor action?)"

Outdoor action all the way. We get waaay more than enough of the auto content system doing missions.

--- Apprentice StEaMiNg "Solrael" Honer
    --- 164 Omni soldier!

Hiya, great article, and really exciting!

Here are my answers:

1. Do you want story-missions that are profession specific or not?

Yes, that would be great, it would also lower the amount of people 'camping' certain mission NPCs, and give some great prof specific loot.

2. Do you want side-defined missions, or missions for everyone?

Hmm alittle of both I guess would be good, definatly have some story based side defined missions, specific for Omni or Clan or Neutral (Dont forget the Neutrals , but have a few that are for everyone.

3. Do you want the quests to scale with your level? (So you may take the same mission at lvl 30 and at 100, only with tougher opponents?)

Scaling would be great, so when we grow out of the item, we can go and complete the quest again.

4. Do you want many small, or fewer longer quests?

I think a mix of both is needed, you can't just have one or the other as not everyone will enjoy it if they were all short, or all long, I think a few short some medium and a few long would be perfect.

5. Is it ok with you to camp spawns, like we see in other MMORPGs?

No, and I think everyone on Rubi-Ka will agree with me, noone wants to camp spawns. Maybe if you made the NPC give out more then one, maybe 5 quests before he or she 'despawned' that would lessen the camping, then a bunch of people can get the mission every spawn.

6. Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you even in these story missions? (Or do you want only outdoor action?)

If you mean is it ok for you to make these special NPC story missions availiable in mission booths? then I say a big YES! that would be GREAT, no camping spawns, and a guarenteed shot at the loot.

Thats all I have to say right now, take care and please keep us informed

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast