Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Story missions

Is it ok with you to camp spawns, like we see in other MMORPGs?

NO! NO! NO! ABSOLUTELY NOT!

That is why I left Everquest. If you start making people camp spawns, you will totally ruin this game! Camping spawns is annoying, boring, and not fun at all. People want to have fun with these games.

Do you want story-missions that are profession specific or not?

Professtion specific

Do you want the quests to scale with your level? (So you may take the same mission at lvl 30 and at 100, only with tougher opponents?)

It might be better to make them different for more variety.

Do you want many small, or fewer longer quests?

Both, for the variety

Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you even in these story missions? (Or do you want only outdoor action?)

Sure.

Atlantean - RK1
    Lillian "Lilbunny" Bunny
    Honey "Hunneybunny" Bunny
    Buttons "Miissbunny" Bunny
    Dolly "Deebunny"
    Lory "Duckey" Waddles
    Rimor - RK2
    "Tibbara" Saetuc
    Kitty "Kitling" Catt
    Clora "Dukkee" Waddles

Your kidding with this question right? come on admit it this was the joke question thrown into the mix right? If it was not a joke question then you obviously dont even read your own forums-which would not suprise me in the least.
    And to all the fanbois who choose to flame me pfttttttttttttttttt
    i will continue to post till my subcription runs out in about 2 weeks.

Is it ok with you to camp spawns, like we see in other MMORPGs? --good lord i cant belive you even had to ask

NPC camping is the Devil's playground!

NO NPC CAMPING! It is evil, bad, and hurts old ladies. I don't think I'm over stating the matter when I say that all of the injustice in the world today, comes from camping NPC spawns. Won't someone think of the children! Save the earth, stop NPC spawn camping! For the love of everything decent and holy! DEAR GOD, STOP THE NPC CAMPING.... *sob*

I don't like it.
    Ozor: lvl 2(x) - MA - Clanner - RK2
    Qranx: lvl 2(x) - Adv. - Clanner - RK2
    Seclorum: lvl 12 - Agent - OT - RK2

I'm drunk as hell!

Thumbs up My two cents :)

As a player who primarily does missions, I really like this idea. Below are my thoughts on the questiosn posted.

1)Do you want story-missions that are profession specific or not?
    I would like that better than a general type of mission. I'd hate to take my Fixer into a solo combat mission that is better suited for a MA. It would be better if the missions allowed for the player to use the unique skills of their class.

Do you want side-defined missions, or missions for everyone?
    I would like both, but I would also like to have "shady" missions as well. Missions where you knew that you are doing something illegal and/or a mission that you know you might be doing something underhanded. Perhaps some information stealing, or a hacking mission... things like that.

Do you want the quests to scale with your level? (So you may take the same mission at lvl 30 and at 100, only with tougher opponents?)
    Sure, but I'd hate for that to limit the number of unique types of missions. Perhaps, as well, you could add a window that lists all the missions that you have completed to date (story missions only). It would be a nice way to keep track and an easy way for rper's to track their character's history.

Usually short on time, I prefer shorter missions, but I would like the option of both. Could you have either a new scale for time envolvement or tie it into the difficulty scale?

I HATE CAMPING. I hate it about other games and avoid it at all costs in this game and others. Please, do not have missions where you need to camp an area or a npc for any reason. There are so many other ways to get things done then to have to sit and wait for some timed spawn with 40 other people.

Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you even in these story missions? (Or do you want only outdoor action?)
    You bet! I like the idea of having to collect things or speak to certain npc's in the outdoor (non-generated) areas and having the combat or conflict action take place in generated areas. As an example; I am giving a hostage rescue mission. First I would need to go around to different npc's and get information, having to ask the rght questions and being sent to other npc's for more info. Once I find out where this person is being kept, a misson area is generated for me (or a team depending on if you do team versions) to go and rescue this person. Perhaps even have the hostage become a 'pet' when found and I am forced to lead them out while protecting them.

I would LOVE for this feature to be implemented. Maybe, just maybe, you could have random missions appear that would actually become a part of the overall storyline and make it into the official news. Also, an idea, when some one completes on mission information is giving that leads to a new missions involving related issues (example: I finish the hostage mission, but find out that the hostage knows where I can get intelligence about a terrorist attack, but I would need to sneak into somewhere to hack a closed system for the info).

Anyway, love the idea and can't wait to see it in game!
    Tuxx - Grid Freak and Closed System Poison Pill, Black Sheep of SRS and Proprietor of The Neon Zebra
    Domu - Lotus on Water, Member of House SRS
    Neon Zebra: A gathering place for the roleplaying community.

Cool Oh my

What can I say.........
    This is really good news.
    This is what might bring people back to AO.

1. If you are going to make profession story missions, be shure to make the reward very good for ALL the proffesions.

2. I'd prefer Clan only missions, and that Omni just get general missions Kidding. No sided missions please.

3. Make missions scaled. Or else the missions will be camped by the higher lvl players.

4. Make many small ones and make a few long ones too. I want it all.

5. Can camping be avoided?

6. Auto-content mission system or not. I dont care

This news is so good that I'll even buy the "brave" Aberic a beer at some bar in neutral territory :-)

Both. Maybe lower level mission could be more general and each professional would have special "quest" mission at higher levels.

Both. Side-defined mission are ok. But, please DON'T FORGET NEUTRALS!!! Maybe neutrals could do some Omni/Clan missions also....

Yes that could be nice. I am not starting new character until my current one is at least level 150... so I would also to do lower level mission which are scaled to my level. But there could also be missions, which are limited to specific level range. Maybe those scaled-missions could give not so special items as a reward, and limited-range-only missions could give more special items?

Both. I really would like to have some epic mission, but I should have time to do them and it should be also possible to do other missions when I have epic mission running.

Yes it is ok in some missions. But most of missions should be camp free (and maybe also lag free )

Yes it is ok if most of missions are happening in normal auto-content mission system. But there should be also have some outdoor missions (I guess that those outdoor missions are going to be camped...) Maybe it could be possible to make missions, which have sub-missions in both in- and outdoor areas?

Err... why you don't use your great polling system in your bulleting boards?

And remember that missions should be fun (I think that variety of mission is one very important factor on that)! And how about "social interaction" missions where you need to interact with other players? After all this is massive multiplayer online game.... (I am not sure about roleplaying part... )
    Quit whining (.com)(tm).
    ... listening whining since 2001-07-21 11:12:43...

Nice to see this being worked on.

-Both please.

-Both please, variation is good.
    How about static team missions? (forgive me if this has been answered before, its hard to remember everything that has been stated before)

-Yes! Good idea.

-I want some of each.

-NO!! I can't stand camping! It's boring to wait for hours just to get a mission, and also very boring to wait to complete it.

-I'm ok with a little auto-content. I want variation, both indoor and outdoor action.

I love this idea, its what the game needs, but still Funcom, PUT AN IN GAME NEWSPAPER IN, for the high lvls, there mission could appear in the paper.

lol,u could even create a new profession, jounralist, someone who can accompany indivduals, really good pics could go in the paper.
    they're skills would be able to get into any building, interpersonal skills, and disguise, lol, what does anyone else thing?

Thumbs down

All I have to say is please no canping. I agree with everyone else on the other questions. Thanks

-Profession specific missions? Yes, that would be nice

-Quests that scale with our level? Yes, that would be nice also. What about an on-going mission that evolves as you level? i.e. from level 1-50 NPC gives the first part of an item as a reward. Levels 50-100 the NPC gives a different, but related, mission and the second part of an item as a reward. Levels 100-150, the reward is the 3rd and final part. Assemble the parts and you have a item that is worth the time/effort to get. The items would probably need to be NODROP.

-Many small or fewer long quests? I would like some small, and some long. I want variety. Keep me guessing how long it will take to complete!

-Is it ok to camp spawns? NO.

-Interweave auto-content mission or outdoor only action? Again, I want variety. I want the NPC to send me to do his dirty work (clear out an indoor office building). When I finish and go back to the NPC to get my reward, maybe he double crosses me and I have to take him out too (outdoor action)! This is just an example, and maybe a profession specific example! Just for the record, I'm a fixer

Smile smiling faces again

profession based missions?
    YES!!!!!

that was something i was looking forward to see for a long time..

an agent gets an outdoor assasination mission, traders need to deliver items to town-X etc (these are already somewhat available as indorr missions righT? ok now to the real point)

and finally fixers can make a living FIXING
    and us advents can go plant trees

2 important things for me(and i think EVERYONE else)

1-NO CAMPING NO!!!! NO!!!! NO!!!!!!!!!!
    2-scaling is important...

hmmm this just means AO s getting better if we wont have to camp mobs/npcs all the time
    my rerolling squad (what s IPR? )
    Celebnor, Balbanes, Lacaan, Ignetos, Hadouken, Icehilda, Icementat and the late Seregnor

if you ever met one.....well...nevermind

Lightbulb No more camping/competition.

I agree with many of the ideas put out here. A good variety of missions is best, but please no more camping, waiting, or competing:

Give keys (as in normal missions) for static dungeons so that if you want to go in with another person, you need to use a copy of original key, otherwise ou can't get in unless you get your own original key, and this will put you into a different instance of the static dungeon.

Keeps the NPCs around with almost immediate respawns. If you are worried about them being camped for exp by parties, then place at suppression generator in the area (for 100% gas), then only the ones who need to be killed get killed (nugget, van horn). I'd like to see nugget and similar killable npcs respawn right away or after a few minutes.

In summary, keep the npc's around, but design things so they are available to people, and please use a key system so that everyone can enjoy the static missions at all hours.

Thanks for listening,
    Ecce

"Is it ok with you to camp spawns, like we see in other MMORPGs?"

LOL!! No! That is why the current story missions(referring to Dodga) are no fun.

"Those of you who have completed some of the story missions should know that Alvin and Dodga are nowhere near finished with their tasks, and it would be smart of you to drop by them every now and then to check if they are recruiting adventurers to run some errands."

ROTFLMAO!!! This one kills me! I have been visiting Dodga every other day or so for 2 months. Guess what? He is never there because some genius decided to make him disappear after he gives the quest. Just my bad timing I suppose.

So before I can drop by and see if there is any other work, why not make the NPC stay put for awhile?

No camping, or minimized camping, PLEASE. The less camping, the better. I'd rather have a worse reward for getting a quest than to wait 20 hours just to get a decently good one.

Yes, interweave auto-content. If 20 people are doing the quest, and aren't teamed, spawn 20 mission areas. It's not as realistic, but then, it's supposed to be a GAME. If I don't want somebody to have accomplished the mission before me, I'd best have the option to do it all by my lonesome.
    THEOREM:
    Omni Bureaucrats work for "The Man."
    "The Man" is the >190 Fixer title.
    Ergo, Phillip Ross is a Fixer.
    -QED-

well.. huh?

>Do you want story-missions that are profession specific or not?

Both.

>Do you want side-defined missions, or missions for everyone?

both.

>Do you want the quests to scale with your level? (So you may >take the same mission at lvl 30 and at 100, only with tougher >opponents?)

no. I like to see lvl specific rewards for a 'given area' that way noobies can learn the ropes and still be a part of the action.

>Do you want many small, or fewer longer quests?

both.

>Is it ok with you to camp spawns, like we see in other >MMORPGs?

no. camping = borring. I'd rather go chat in Baboons. There should be a 'daily' limit or atleast time measured in hours, not minutes.... i realize that alot of people looking to 'power' up are going to hate me for saying it. but there it is.

Camping is, to me, 'legal' exploiting. Its annoying, it bothers me, it shouldn't happen.

>Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content >mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you >even in these story missions? (Or do you want only outdoor >action?)

Story missions... like what? "go kill Neleb" is that what you imply is story? here I was thinking you meant a story mission like you get to -be a part- of the story! Like "get together a full team and come back to me, i have a dangerous mission for you." (gets team) "I want you to go to Meetmedere and kill the gaurds, someone will gridwarp in, gaurd them, do not let the gaurds kill them!!" (many die, but somehow the mission gets done) next thing we know Meetmedere turns from "neutral" to clan. something involving this huge story that ya'll are writing immaginary articles about.....

Story driven Missions,,,, its somewhat ambigous. Clear it up alittle? you mean scripted missions where the -same- mission comes back over and over, but its different for the 'content' of it? or do you mean STORY missions, where your name will show up in the news for being a part of (or as an 'unknown person') part of something huge that affects all of Rubi-ka.

Scripted or Story? what one is it? that makes all the difference where and how I answer those dotted questions you asked.

No camps! None! Zero! Zilch! Even the people currently dominating the camping in AO don't want it, think about those of us that keep trying but have never even been able to see Dodga outside of testlive! We don't even want the long camps in the dungeons, much less to get missions!

Now that I have that off my chest, otherwise you have some great ideas. I would like to see a combination of profession-specific, generic, side-specific, race-specific, gender-specific and even clothing-specific missions (you think I would hire someone wearing THAT?!?). But give us a good variety of stuff over time. Just don't require gimped professions to go through quests in order to get balancing equipment anymore.

Maybe a few long quests, but mostly smaller quests I think. Quests should either scale or only be available to certain levels. We have ALL had enough of level 100s camping level 30 bots to finish Dodga's quest! I think I can speak for the level 100s that got no XP for the camp and the level 30s that were excluded by the camping on that.

Please, please, please interweave the auto-content mission systems with these quests. If everyone got their own areas that they could do their quest in it would eliminate the camping and lag problems. Though, again, we want variety. So some outdoor quests and some mission-style quests would be ideal.

Scorus

oh anf btw (i m sure this idea is posted somewhere else aeons ago but still thx to intra)

also, there could be opposing story missions.. so that there is someone from omni doing a mission which effects the outcome of your own. for instance... I get a mission that tells me to assasinate someone, an omni employee gets a mission saying they have a tip off for an assasination.. find the assasin and stop him.. that type of thing
    DO THAT!

just when i as OT get a mission to kill a clanner npc in borealis a clanner player looking for a mission might get a mission stating that an OT assassin s otw to borealis etc...

aaaaargh back to bitter truth....
    exploiter-A is OT,takes a mis
    exploiter-B is clan, takes the counter-mis

eA lets eB kill him and eB gets the uber-nodrop-unique item

then they do it again switching roles.....

one word:

ARGH
    my rerolling squad (what s IPR? )
    Celebnor, Balbanes, Lacaan, Ignetos, Hadouken, Icehilda, Icementat and the late Seregnor

if you ever met one.....well...nevermind

NO IT IS NOT OKEY TO CAMP SPAWNS!

Yes we want profession specific quests that use areas each profession is good at (agents at sneaking, doctors at healing, soldiers at fighting etc)
    Kind Regards
    Prince "Morphex" Olveda

Agent Professional
    Proud Member of Legion
    [pic] [stat] [eqp]

Unknown: "I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect"
    Scope755: "To all Devs: ISNT SOO COOL TO BE NOT WELCOME IN INFERNO SK TEAMS."

Story missions

In a different MMORPG there are many story missions. This is how they handle it. There are a few missions for almost every other lvl. That may be too many for you to add right away. There is someone wandering around -a wandering NPC or Bar keep who has clues as to who's giving out the missions for your lvl.

The NPC didn't vanish when you got a mission most of the time.

Now the only things I didn't like about this system was that the NPC's would ask you to do something lame like run errands. One of the things that would be cool would be to see story lines in the missions make you feel like you are doing something important not just delivering someones mail.

If you are worried about farming scale the mission so that it is lvl specific. It could give out the same prize to different lvls maybe with tiering like the lvl 10 gets the Minor Cloak the lvl 150 gets the Archangel cloak. To prevent more than one person from working on completing the mission, you could make certain parts of the mission accessible only to the player that received the mission, unless it is supposed to be a team mission.

Lightbulb ideas

Yes, and some that aren't

Side defined would be great, even if they end up with similar/same rewards

Some variety would be nice, maybe some scale and some don't... As a side note, One of the Good things about the dodga/alvin quest is that you don't HAVE to have a large team of people help you finish the quest, a good mix of quests you can solo and ones where you need a team would be great

*Do you want many small, or fewer longer quests?
    A mix of both

*Is it ok with you to camp spawns, like we see in other MMORPGs?
    *Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you even in these story missions? (Or do you want only outdoor action?)

LOL That's one of the reasons I started playing AO, it's promise of no camping.
    Now, how do you make it so quests aren't too easy/exploitable, fun and frustration free? You guys are the pros, but here are some suggestions :
    Use the auto-content mission system for some quests (note the some, outdoors quests are a must and probably the only incentive for some people to get out and see the world , and *poof* that gets rid of camping instantly. I would greatly suggest that these missions have a look and feel that is completely different from that of normal missions, with a Never before seen boss at the end. You could reuse these textures, models rooms, etc in a series of related quests too.

On outdoor quests, I suggest NPCs that are always there (boo to you dodga/alvin), and Mobs that spawn very fast but perhaps within a large area of a zone, that way you need to hunt them, not camp them. And yes, definitely some timer on people, where within that time you cannot take the mission again and/or cannot loot the mob, kill/attack/see it etc etc... Why? obviously to avoid exploiting, and to keep quests from being something elite players will have a choke hold on.

In static dungeons, there should be an option to have a solo dungeon for the team or teams of people that go in there (sometimes you need several teams ); just like in quests, nothing is more frustrating than the promise of a really cool item you want, only to realize that you're going top have to fight X number of teams for it. Does it make sense that a lvl 41 coat is innacessible to a level 60-80 player because a team of lvl 140+ is camping it?
    IMO, the reason FC doesn't implement this is the fear that these items will be too easy to get, and therefore become commonplace. Well, what would be wrong with that? It's time AO started to get an infussion of more unique items, rather than everyone Using graft/primus/Vektors/beams etc, the Quality system is great, but a greater diversity of uniques is almost a must now. Embrace it FC

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast