Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Story missions

On the questions listed, I would have to say both to all except 1. On camping NPC's, here is what I think:
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...threadid=14074
    "Your village called...their idiot is missing"

Psilex (Agent)
    Smokegirl (Nano-tech)
    Tylerdurdon (Bureaucrat)

Proud Member of:
    Omni-Tribunal
    Omni-Pol

Do you want story-missions that are profession specific or not?
    >>>Definitley.

Do you want side-defined missions, or missions for everyone?
    >>>I prefer side-defined, but missions for everyone seems interesting enough. Try and stick with side-defioned though.

Do you want the quests to scale with your level? (So you may take the same mission at lvl 30 and at 100, only with tougher opponents?)
    >>>No, there isn't as much variety here. I don't want to make it harder on you guys to come up with more missions, but this seems like it would be boring to do the same mission only at a higher level, don't you?

Do you want many small, or fewer longer quests?
    >>>Both, if that would be possible. I like to have a variety. Sometimes I am in the mood for a nice long mission, and sometimes I want one I can finish in a few hours. This would be perfect if you can fit both styles in, I think it would make everyone happier that way!

Is it ok with you to camp spawns, like we see in other MMORPGs?
    >>>Nope, I have never been a big fan of that, that is one of the hundreds of reasons that makes AO so much better from all the other MMORPGs.

Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you even in these story missions? (Or do you want only outdoor action?)
    >>>Well, yeah that would be fine with me, but I would definitley love more outdoor action as opossed to indoor. Try to make a mix, but add about 3/4 outdoor and 1/4 indoor, and try to make less indoor for shorter missions and more indoor for longer missions.
    Atum: Adventurer, General to the Knights Of Chaotic Vengeance.

Kirey: Enforcer.

CAMPING BOSS-MOBS GOT TO END! QUEST NCP'S THAT WARP OUT EVERYTIME YOU FINISH IT GOT TO END!

And as far as the dungeons go, MAKE EM SEPARATE so people can form teams get a key, give key to all that should join etc. No more ganking or pulling mobs on unsuspecting campers.

And the outdoor mobspawn... lol that's a joke.
    1st of all: Make em respawn fast. Like 10-15 minutes max.

Ok, then you might say "But dooh, then the items won't be UNIQUE like their supposed to be!" Well, that's easy..

Make 'em all harder. WAY harder. Any team with a slayerbot and a demon could take out van Horn, Leg-Chopper, Trashking etc.. the later beeing killable by a two-man team lvl120+.

Make em hard like Tarasque, or even harder. Make it so that it REALLY requires a team/guild effort to get the unique items.

This camp by the clock stuff is getting really annoying and it's promoting griefing and pissing off players....

Don't make me sit thru EQ all over again. Enough already!
    Pfft!
    Rubi-Ka's FiRST Neophyte Enforcer - Holder of Spoon - Stirring the pot - Pumpkin' Pie anyone?
    >Wo "Caol" Ha - 187 ENF | >Thzunami - 97 MA | >Wo "Dioxy" Ha - 30 TRA | In memory of The Council

Jayde's Item Database - All you'll ever need - http://aodb.info

"BACK AWAY" - Pogobear / Skymarshal

Post My Fill

The Missions should be sided! AFter all if they use the story you have to make them sided... Just make sure that every side gets a good share of interesrting missions.

Profession based... YEs and no... Some should be very geared towrd the profession of the player... Maybe scouting for the Agent of adventurer, assassination for the fixer etc.

No camping... it's boring and evil

Mission lenght? Both long and short. Short ones would not have the biggest rewards but you could have fun playing through it in a session. Long missions would have to require extensive research and travel tp complete and therefore much bigger rewards...

Also a distance ariable would be nice... not everyone likes going halfway around the world for every mission they take on (both standard and story). make them so if you want to stay close to home the mission you find might at least be based only in your factions territory.

I like indoor missions... Travel through the outback and find the cave.. inflitrate and get the goods, then get them back to the base and find out the next step

Exclamation Outdoor Missions

Why must the option for a mission be "indoors" or an uncontrolled "outdoors"? Why couldn't a mission cave take you through a mountain to a hard to reach area, like how Mutant Villages can not be flown into or like the "outdoor" holoworlds where newbies start?

I like the idea of an outdoors area that has a controlled access. Wouldn't it be interesting to have a mission in a bayou setting, with the only access through a cave or tunnel. I'm also kind of surprised that you haven't hidden any caves behind the meriad of waterfalls throughout Rubika, there's still quite a lot of potential.

As to some of the other questions asked.

Don't use spawning creatures that require camping to finish the mission, unless the respawn time is short. I agree with many of those who have responded, sitting around, twiddling thumbs, is not a fun way to spend time.

Dave

AKA Falconrider, Korrkey, Gizzed

Arrow Yep

Just to cast my vote for the general consensus - no point in reiterating things.

Story missions

Profession Specific-YES

Side Defined-YES

Quests scaling to level-YES

Smaller or longer quests- Many Small

Spawn Camping-NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!

Generated missions or Outdoors-More Generated than outside

Zylo

Yes Yes Yes

First of all, general missions should be rewarding items based on class and level, not just level.

Each profession has different skill subsets so class-specific missions should utilize those skills. And if they are to affect the storyline then maybe they should have real consequences.

A trader gets a mission that gives him a recipe for a new weapon, or he steals a prototype from the enemy. then he has to reengineer it to complete the mission. Once it is complete, it makes that weapon available for his "side." The more traders who complete the mission the more available it becomes.

A fixer could appropriate a praticular nasty weapon from the enemy, deliver it to the quest guy who re-engineers it. then it is only available in fixer shops for his "side."

Since mission terminals work that way, there should be story missions for both sides as well, neutrals being able to do either.

Furthermore I think there should be a way to compete head to head against the other side on missions. For instance, if I get a mission to kill an Omni character, at the same time someone of my level on the Omni side should get the same mission and key to protect that character. However the mission time should be considerably shortened so someone isn't waiting around 8 hours to do the mission.

Do you want the quests to scale with your level? (So you may take the same mission at lvl 30 and at 100, only with tougher opponents?)

as long as risk = reward

Both would be great. Basically, any content is better than no content. The longer the quest the more rewarding or the more it involves the storyline.

No

Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you even in these story missions? (Or do you want only outdoor action?)

I have never had a problem with the auto-generated missions. They are one of the more unique features of the game.

Gunf00, Omni trader of 40

. . .camping is bad

Firstly, just to repeat what just about everybody has been saying NO CAMPING!!

pretty please don't waste all that good work.

That does present a problem for any 'quest' style system though, and a lot of the suggestions in this thread are good examples of what could be done, the practicalites are another matter entirely.

To not have camping means that a 'random' element will probably appear in the quests. Providing a 'spread' of NPCs that might progress the quest could be frustrating. The first part of the Dogma quest is an example, you don't exactly have to 'camp' anything as you would have done in EQ, but you do have a possibly boring routine to go through to collect all the robot parts.

Using Dodga as an example, some more information is required from the NPCs, if a player say had to collect each part from a different location (while still not being restricted to one 'campable' mob), that would break up the monotony.

Also it might be nice if the items themselves hinted at the quest in their description, so say if a player got a quest component in loot, but hadn't already got the quest (or didn't know about it) then the item description might prompt them to seek out an NPC or a location.

What I'm getting at is that this has to be implented carefully, and I think a good job is being done so far.

Yes, team sided and class specific.

Yes, albeit tentatively to sliding scale as it would allow higher levels not to miss out, but not just have the item increase in stats maybe offer different rewards at different level bands. 1 -30, 30-60, 60-100 etc etc

can't wait to see these changes coming in . . .but spend the time and get it right

Silirrion
    http://oldwatchtower.homestead.com/AnarchyZone.html

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO............NO!!!!! i HATE camping, i wont even do the dodga quest just because of it, its a waste of time, especially when it takes a long time just to get all the parts for the 1st and 3rd quest.

the campground is CLOSED

Please, above all, NO camping, its the MOST unnatractive aspect of other MMORPG's and personally, I don't care a whit about outdoors; feel free to make them indoor missions like regular ones. If I had my wish, however, Id surely like to see more to DO in indoor missions, like hacking computers for sensitive info, figuring out puzzle-traps and more. But even if we can never have anything like that, please keep the "camping" element OUT of AO. as a former post-er said, it just generates competition, angry words and frustration.

Both.

Both? Having side specific missions would be better, including Nuets.

Sounds good. That will avoid the rinse repeat later aspect.

Make it a 50-50 split. But a selection would be nice. On a weeknight just don't have time for a huge mission.

No Not Ever, PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS, this is a huge part of why my friends left EQ. Not camping adds a tremendous amount of enjoyment to the game.

Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you even in these story missions? (Or do you want only outdoor action?)Sure, that would be fine.
    Azrek of Tir
    "Success is the ability to out run failure"

Thumbs up Quest Missions

Well this is a great idea and been looking forward to them since I joined AO! You have asked us if we want them one way or another but why not have it all. Quests that are level specific, side, profession, group, random invite, ect... Why not have them all, but please be sure that you make them so that it isn't outrageously laggy to get to or preform because as we all know omni ent and trade are way out of wack with lagg. "Free lagg, come get it while it's hot!" I mean realy lok into which areas are best suited for a long term quest. Short quests are good too but with lagg even what you would consider short would take half a day to do. I remember way back in the day I loved plaing this game called Dark Ages where you got missions that was the only way to get specific items that were awesome. You should make some that award full suits of armor at a set ql, or maybe a new armor that gives interesting new bonuses. I still haven't seen any armors that could benefit certain professions beyond the nano professions. Maybe you could work the idea of making some great items that would benefit one profession greatly but could only be done by another profession that couldn't use it. This could boost team work or maybe change the trade sceen. How about a big money quest, I know it is hard for alot of players to make cash to keep up with their needs? How about guild missions that when completed deposited a large sum into the guild bank? I am sure that would extremely boost guild togetherness and also help them help each other get yalms and new gear. Well I hope you seriously consider these ideas.

General Jinjinn, Entropy Dawn

Lightbulb A Poll please

Well, I think we already know what everyone wants.

But lets make it easy for FC to figure it out, please give us a poll on the Spawn camping question, and heck all the others too.

Then we can just answer yes or no, most of the things weren't needing to be greatly commented on just answered, now we have pages and pages of YES, NO, YES, BOTH.

POLL PLEASE?
    If you are Failing to Plan,

You are Planning to Fail.

Story Missions

Yes, but also gneric ones.

Both sided ones, and missions for all - the more the merrier.

Definitely. That makes it easier for newer players to get into the game and into the storyline. Conversely, it would be aweful to do a mission at lvl 30 and then not be able to do it again later cos you're too high.

Both. Small, short ones are good for those players who can log on only irregularly, but longer quests are much more involved so more fun.

NO. A big resounding NO. Take Alvin for example, when I visit him, there are usually 2-3 people waiting for him, and there's always some disrespectful selfish pig who queue jumps. Having to then wait 2 hours for him to respawn is ridiculous. If you must have spawn times, make them short. I see no reason why they couldn't be there all the time - especially if you made the mission rewards NODROP UNIQUE.

Indoor is good. Sounds like a great plan.

I've rambled on at some length, so I'll give other people a chance to use the soap box now. Good Luck with it, and I hope to see more 'Alvins' out there soon.

Some Comments

Here are some very important comments to story missions, NPC, Uniques. :

1) Dont give tokens for solving quests. There is Alvin/Dodga. Many ppl try to get the shoulderpads and wait for hours until he spawns again. Other ppl just searching the parts over and over again just to get the 5xX Tokens.....
    That makes the place so overcrowded.
    That missions are for the special items, not for getting tokens.

2) Let unique drop their special stuff more often. I camped some unique mobs for about 8 times now and they always have no loot. Its no fun to have a 18 hours respawn time and then there is no special loot.

3) Think about the special Items more carefully. A Cool Top adding 30 to sense and giving no ac is good for.... HUH ?
    and 601 sense to wear..... there are other things which need even more requirements (801 of something i remember). No one will be able to wear that....

Thats it. Not completly on the toppic, but some of the points are maybe helpfull to make the questing things more fun.

Tygma

profession specific missions: If they weren't, I'd worry. How about talent or skill specific missions too?

Um, isn't this whole game about what side you're on?

Quests should definietly have a level range, but NPC's could be part of many diffenrent quests at many different levels, so that's a vague question.

Both, and a lot of them, but none simpler than 3-4 generations.

"spawning" still hasen't been covered to my liking in the plot or in the world descriptions. If you give us a reaon "why" NPC's spawn (and a damn good one!) then it's ok to camp spawning missions, otherwise, AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS!

Interweaving is a good idea. Hey, it's eben OK to get a mission from a teminal that is NOT the first step in a plot mission! Lesser people wil miss these opportunities, and this is good for us hard core players! If quest missions are random, and not static, it makes the world more realistic!!!!!!

(thank you for finally getting around to this)

Post my response

>Do you want story-missions that are profession specific or not?

YES, profession based PLEASE. Additionally, some BREED specific ones also. I'd like see every single item in game that's breed or profession restricted attainable through STROY missions, ie: Shades of Lubication, Padded Trench Coat, Aura Augmentor, ETC.

If it's in game NOW, and restricted to a breed or profession, it SHOULD be possible to get the item without having to camp for it, ala story mission. Obviously min level req's should be meet also, ie you can't get a story mission for an Aura Augmentor until you're 100+ etc.

>Do you want side-defined missions, or missions for everyone?

Side Defined PLEASE. But keep it balanced please, the clans already have a lot of leverage on omni players.

>Do you want the quests to scale with your level? (So you may take the same mission at lvl 30 and at 100, only with tougher opponents?)

Yes, I'd hate to miss out on something because I leveled, i really dislike the idea of being penalized for leveling. It also goes with my first response for weapon based rewards.

>Do you want many small, or fewer longer quests?

Because of the fast pace of AO, I'd say... many smaller, with a few longer ones per profession.

>Is it ok with you to camp spawns, like we see in other MMORPGs?

NO, and let me say that again... NO. One of AO's strong points is that you aren't camping spawns for 6 hours a day to be kill stolen by some yutz, with GM's then saying " sorry we have to see it to do anything about it", NO SPAWN CAMPING. The static dungeons are already showing strain on the players. People turn into but heads about "rare" loot on "rare" spawns, and that kills the social aspect of the game.

>Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you even in these story missions? (Or do you want only outdoor action?)

If it means i'm not competing with 20 other folks for the same "spawn" then heck yes, indoors. If I'm not competing with 20 other folks, then I don't care where the mission locations are. A point though is that some folks rejoice in PO'ing others, I don't put it past other players to kill off "quest" npc's just to spite others ( especially those that happen to be on the other side of the issue on RK ).

Here's an idea, use the bottom three mission slots that you can't actually take mission in, FOR these kind of missions, not many would want to give up having three exp / cash missions purely for this, BUT if these mission types dropped in the second set of three mission, that would be ideal, you could take them work on them and still be able to do other things.
    Last edited by Cheetra; Mar 24th, 2002 at 11:39:50.

If items are that powerfull that you need to put the mob on a 18 hour timer then you should not even think about having that item available at that lvl of encounter.

If we wanted prestige through items we would play EQ and not AO.

That would be a VERY VERY cool thing to have, and whoever thought that up should be rewarded.

I'd prefer side-defined, that way it makes it a differient experience to play each side.

No preference.

A mix of both.

GOD NO! I used to play EQ and I got sooo fed up with that crap that I came over here....spawn-camping has GOT TO END!

If you use auto-content, at least take the effort to have some interesting mobs and tilesets..that's what I thought was really cool about Steepes of Madness...

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast