Page 1 of 15 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Story missions

Lightbulb Story missions

"A story mission is a story built on events in different locations, involving a group of NPCs and where the player himself plays a central role. To solve the story mission the player needs to talk to the NPCs involved, piece together what needs to be done, and then seek out the items and information needed to let everything fall into place."

The rest of the article can be found here.

Let us know what you think.

Lightbulb

Is it ok with you to camp spawns, like we see in other MMORPGs?

Uhm, do you read your own boards ?

(I'll give you the answer : 'no')

Now, your serious questions :

Do you want story-missions that are profession specific or not?
    Aye

Do you want side-defined missions, or missions for everyone?
    Sided. Don't forget neutrals

Do you want the quests to scale with your level? (So you may take the same mission at lvl 30 and at 100, only with tougher opponents?)
    If there are enough for higher and lower levels - no need for this. Rewards will often have level requirements too, right ?

Do you want many small, or fewer longer quests?
    Both.

Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you even in these story missions? (Or do you want only outdoor action?)
    Personally, I prefer outdoor, but indoor's no problem...

Angry Camp Spawn

Please, no more disapearing NPC !!!

Nothing is more boring than camping an NPC (best with 3 other ppls) to get/finish a quest.

Take a look at Alvin (i dont know how it looks at Dodga but i think its the same) just 10 min before he spawns, normaly there are alredy 2 or 3 ppls camping him, thats NO fun !!!

I hope not all (or best no) of the new quest will force us to camp any mob or NPC.

-Yes, as well as regular missions too!

-Side defined missions

Do you want the quests to scale with your level? (So you may take the same mission at lvl 30 and at 100, only with tougher opponents?)

-Yes

-How bout a mix of both? With risk vs reward factored in

-No, no no no no. Camping = bad. You are competing with other people and it does NOTHING but cause frustration.

Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you even in these story missions? (Or do you want only outdoor action?)

-I'd like to see a lot of indoor action. Espionage type stuff, infiltration and whatnot. More indoor than outdoor, but still have outdoor as well.

Yes

Both would be nice, but id prefer side if I can't have it both ways... Im assuming you'll be giving omni ALL the good missions.

no, lets have quests you can look foward to

fewer longer

Do you realy have to ask? thats one of the reasons I love AO, no camping (and the fact that after so many years of EQ, I was actualy pleased by a petition/feature yesterday ...i didnt think that happened...)

a bit of auto content wouldnt kill me, but id like to have some outdoor action

the link at the top of the thread is wrong... it goes to ip follow up

http://www.anarchy-online.com/conten...articles/2720L

go here instead

Yes
    Sided
    Yes
    Both
    No, no no !!!!
    Outdoor would be cool but indoor is ok also.

Yes, definately. I want to feel like a crat, not like a wannabe soldier.

Both? Side-defined would increase RP feel of the world, and let us learn more about the conflict perhaps?

Hmm, good idea...so you can't just level 50 times and cruise through the mission. The reward should scale accordingly though, there's usually no point in getting an item designed for a lvl 30 player at lvl 100 - especially if it's hard to get at lvl 100.
    Edit: the mission difficulty should scale after the minimum level limit has been reached, so lvl 30s can't do lvl 100 missions. No lvl 100 would be able to brag about finishing a missions a lvl 30 could do. Reward scaling could fix the problems as a level 30 would get a lower reward though..

Both again Small ones for some diversity between missions, large ones should be more epic-like.

No, camping is not fun. X hour spawns just suck, use quest timers (see Asheron's Call) instead. Quests where you talk to someone for 1 minute and then spend 4+ hours camping some mob won't be any fun.

Don't know about this one, at least don't use the autogenerator too much as we spend close to all our time in missions as it is now. It could be used to diversify a quest though (infiltrate secret base which happens to look like a mission, but since you are doing a quest it wouldn't be so bad..).

The most important point:
    Story missions should be fun.
    Last edited by MrTeatime; Mar 22nd, 2002 at 16:10:32.

My reply...

1).Do you want story-missions that are profession specific or not?
    Answer:Yes please, there is very much a shortage of profession specific things to do in this game.

2).Do you want side-defined missions, or missions for everyone?
    Answer:Both

3).Do you want the quests to scale with your level? (So you may take the same mission at lvl 30 and at 100, only with tougher opponents?)
    Answer:Yes

4).Do you want many small, or fewer longer quests?
    Answer:Many small

5).Is it ok with you to camp spawns, like we see in other MMORPGs?
    Answer:No

6).Is it ok with you if we interweave the normal auto-content mission system in this, so that we can generate areas for you even in these story missions? (Or do you want only outdoor action?)
    Answer:If you are going to make those missions indoor, then please dont use the same dungeons we use in missions, make some new ones, or use some of the empty buildings that are already in the game...(like the empty office in 4holes or the toilet in clon****)

Anyway great to see that you guys are working on something else to do, other than just plain missions and group hunting.
    Just my 2 cents worth...

Smile NPC generated story missions

Glad to see the wheels beggining to move on this one!

I do not personally like the idea of camping a spawn for a year and a day. Many of us want to have spare time to help out with the guild or just explore the vast expanses of Rubi-Ka.

Personally I think the best way to do this would be to have "story missions" available from TEAM mission terminals. Have them scale with level but not be impossible, remember some classes and specific players find soloing 100% missions impossible to begin with.

However, since "cool items" will most likely be dropped by the "boss" or creatures along the way, and everyone having one of these items would cause unbalance or loss of uniqueness, the missions should last for a real-time week for anyone who takes it and not "respawn" during that time.

Story missions should be an "adventure"

Clarkson - RK1 agent lvl 115

"It's not the agent you see that you have to worry about."

"....and it would be smart of you to drop by them every now and then to check if they are recruiting adventurers to run some errands."

but that would just add to the line of campers already waiting for the 2 hour spawn for the first mission

camping respawn ruins the game

"Is it ok with you to camp spawns, like we see in other MMORPGs?"

definately not... the boards have been
    full of people saying how bad camping is and how it ruined the other MMORPGs out there

story missions sound cool... sided, big and small. indoor action is cool (fixers missions we are meant to be at home in doors) aswell as out doors (advent missions). I dont think one setting would fit all professions

its great to see work on things like this being discussed... please.. no camping!

NPC Camping

My biggest desire with development of the NPC-based missions would be to remove the need for camping NPCs. It would indeed be nice to chat with Alvin and see if he has any more work for me after having already done all he has to offer. Unfortunately when there are 3-4 other players competing to give him an item that will despawn him immediately, there is little chance for me to get more information. The same with trying to complete the quest, I had to camp and camp and camp and camp to try and exchange items with him--I was so bored.

NPC based missions should be fun for players and available for play. I would either like to see that quest NPCs remain spawned after being interacted with or that they respawn within 5 minutes so other players can enjoy them--not just the experienced players who now exactly when and where the spawn will happen and sit clicking like mad. I've seen experienced players that have entire NPC interactions typed into a /macro so they don't need to worry about competing with inexperienced players.

When I completed the Alvin quest I eventually had to time his respawn time from last AO reset and then beat out a handful of other players who had no clue. Not fair to them and they were probably thinking the same thing I had so many times, "Do I really want to finish this quest? I just waited here X hours for Alvin and some higher level character just walked in within 2 minutes of respawn, outclicked me, and walked away with the quest completed).

The same goes for a lot the unique monsters with unique equipment. Nugget for instance. Unless you are timing his outrageous respawn time from the last server reset and are camping it, you will never have a chance at his item. I have been trying for months without luck at him and the one time I did manage to get a loot, his key item didn't drop. With Nugget no longer a guaranteed item drop, there is no reason for him to have such an outrageously long respawn time.

Hi

You say this:-

"To solve the story mission the player needs to talk to the NPCs involved"

Have you tried talking to Dodga lately? He is gone 5 seconds after he spawns. Please do not make Quest NPC's vanish after they have given out a quest.
    I was lucky in that I completed the quest about a month ago, but now...you just cant get near Dodga.

Funcom really like asking obvious questions like :-

There are countless posts on these boards covering this subject and not once have I seen someone say "I love camping a spot"

check out this post for instance:-

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...threadid=14074

Story quests are what will keep people playing AO in my opinion, please make them interesting and challenging without camping and I will be one happy gamer.

If more of the quests were indoor you'd have ample opportunity to destroy the camping that goes on now, that does nothing but frustrate and anger players.

An example: Why not have Alvin present inside the circular building he currently hangs out at - he could still disappear after you talked to him to prevent rapid farming of tokens - but you could then spawn a small indoors area with Alvin present for every player (or group, like regular missions)

The quests should never be about the players "ability" to camp an npc, but rather if they can rise to the challenge and get the intended quest done.

I think this goes for all quests and missions now - players dont have a problem completing the quests - the real problem comes when you actually try to get your reward. Look at the static dungeons, you can wade through every one of them with the risk involved, but once you do take the risk and complete the challenge, some stranger is already at the end of the dungeon with tabs on your reward that spawns in several hours.

Make the static dungeons spawn for every group that enters, so that they are alone in it. They would have to complete it to get the reward, and know that it was possible to do so. Any boss mob would never spawn again in that particularily spawned dungeon once killed - the players would have to do the challenge again for that. Risk and reward. Just like team-missions.
    Cheers,
    Ellusion
    Anarchy Arcanum
    ---
    201 Ellusion, Doctor | Eqp
    202 Snowfish, Agent | Eqp
    215 Edeus, Doc-pet | Eqp

Proud General of Ragnarok

An idea

Just a quick Idea that hit me, to alleviate NPC camping, would it be possible to assign say 4 or 5 respawn places for the NPC that he randomnly appears at, that way it's harder (although still possible I know) to camp the NPC spots...

Otherwise Story missions are all good

I want missions that give me usefull stuff! So, as a NT I want missions that give me nanocrystals or nano armour

Id like sided... its not verry realistic for an omni to go to clans for a mission(allthough trator missions could be fun )

That ould be nice Its not fun doing a quest that has all greys and you get a lousy reward!

Both! If I have to choose... hmm... teh fewer longer would make more diversity in the game, so I pick that one

No way! I am so tierd of it, I havnt gotten nelebs cloak yet and Iv tried manny times each lvl from lvl 40(I am now 61)... I get to nelebs room only to find 2 other groups there, no thank you

Thats ok, but outdoors would be fun for a change(Id like both though)

how about....

if the story missions outcome could be effected by the person or people doing the mission?

say that during the course of the mission there are two or three possible outcomes for the mission depending on how you want to play it.

that way, for those of us who like to role play we could make choices that reflect our character and actually bring a bit of a role playing element into the game again.. but in an exp gaining way

also, there could be opposing story missions.. so that there is someone from omni doing a mission which effects the outcome of your own. for instance... I get a mission that tells me to assasinate someone, an omni employee gets a mission saying they have a tip off for an assasination.. find the assasin and stop him.. that type of thing

if there is no one doing the alternate mission then you just have to fight mobs, if there is then it brings PvP actually into the game

I think that story missions are a great idea, except with missions that take weeks or months to complete it would be a good idea to incorporate a journal or some type of auto notes that would keep track of the progress in the mission.

If you were away from the game for a week or even a few days you may forget where you left off in the mission.

Something similar to the quests and quest notes in the Might & Magic series would be cool.

First off, let me say that the story missions sound like a great idea! Anything that adds more immersion to my AO roleplaying experience is a welcome addition. Now on to the questions:

Profession specific would be preferred.

Side defined.

I prefer a variety of missions. If you can come up with new and different missions as I level up, then I would like that. If ideas start to become scarce, then scale up to tougher opponents. I would rather have a wide selection of missions instead of not enough to choose from.

Both.

Absolutely not. Camping is not a "feature" in any game. It is a detriment and a waste of time. Camping is not playing. I can "veg out" in front of a television and get more excitement than I can from camping a quest mob. PLEASE do not ruin another MMORPG for me by putting in camping. I have precious little leisure time as it is and AO lets me enjoy that time to the fullest extent. Camping would destroy that.

Sure, as long as you leave out camping.

Keep up the good work. This game gets better and better everyday.

~Soukyan

Page 1 of 15 123456789101112131415 LastLast