Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Be Careful at Meetmedere

Be Careful at Meetmedere

Be careful at Meetmedere
    Novice Reporter Noelle 'Elvenpath' Flummer

Greetings, citizens of Rubi-Ka.

How often are you in Meetmedere? How often do you walk through the political zone there? And how often are there other citizens who only wait for you to kill you? Too often, you say? I agree -- too often.

Yesterday, I had a short walk around the city of Tir. I talked to some of the nice citizens there, and suddenly one of them told me about such evil people sitting around in Meetmedere. They just waited outside the political zone for another clanner who would be their next victim. I walked there and was able to take some photographs of them lurking around. Will this ever stop? Or is Omni-Tek still a company of man hunters?

What can we do to be safe on our ventures through Meetmedere? Not everyone has a strong friend who could help him out of trouble. And I’m sure nobody likes to be scared of running to a grid terminal. The only thing I could imagine is to fight for that place. I think the only way could be to make sure they, the predators of the innocent, are afraid of walking through that political zone from now on.

Stand up, clanners. Show them how strong we are. Show Omni-Tek some true Clan power. Make Meetmedere a Clan territory. It would be a hard fight, but we can make it very dangerous for Omni-Tek to be there -- just as it is for us now.

But I think we need to be careful until the Clans hold Meetmedere. Don’t just walk carelessly around in the political zone there. That will be your death. Be ready for a fight and show the Omni-Tek employees there what we will do with those who oppress us.

For freedom and independence!

Elvenpath

Hmmm..... A chance to test my skills. Sounds like fun.
    "You have enemies huh? Good. It means you have stood up for something."

Squad Commander, Aethyr Knights
    Atlantian

Re: Be Careful at Meetmedere

Originally posted by Editor: FJRK
    Be careful at Meetmedere
    Novice Reporter Noelle 'Elvenpath' Flummer
    Yesterday, I had a short walk around the city of Tir. I talked to some of the nice citizens there, and suddenly one of them told me about such evil people sitting around in Meetmedere. They just waited outside the political zone for another clanner who would be their next victim. I walked there and was able to take some photographs of them lurking around. Will this ever stop? Or is Omni-Tek still a company of man hunters?
    I spend some time in MMD now and then, fighting off the bastards.
    Usually, they get overpowered by clanners in the end ..
    Didymus - Solitus Trader, Member of Instability

For you neutrals

Be even more careful there since both Clan and Omni hunt us. the do not care who they kill, they rarely look at you and see you are not wearing their enemies bage, the just see you are not wearing theirs and then they shoot.

Many of my frineds have been slaughterd in political zones by both sides.

So be warned they shoot first and ask later, no matter on what side they claim to be.
    If you are afraid of dying you will never truly live

... Sounds more like a cry for the Clans to invade Neutral Territory. I do hope they don't stand for it, and remember their reasons for setting up the Guard Patrols in Newland City... To prevent this exact thing from happening, among other reasons.

Let us hope the Neutral people who hold sway in Meetmedere are as perceptive as those in Newland...
    *Cuts to the cold static of an ended Grid-feed...*

Division 9 RSGE

I hate to say this, but let's be honest with ourselves: if Neutrals were strong enough to hold MMD against the Clan and Omni war parties that congregate there, we'd be doing it already. It'd be nice to think we could simply clean the place up with a quick show of force, but it's unlikely ever to happen.

On a related note, were Elite Operations and the Newland council really being that perceptive when they hired guards to keep the clans out of Newland? The situation in Tir remains unchanged, Clan/Neutral relations have sunk to an all-time low in the meantime and frankly I've been shot just as often for having the effrontery to walk around an Omni city or outpost as I have been for visiting Clan-held areas.

[sighs]

No, I have no idea what the solution is either. All I know is that neither side shows any sign of cleaning up its act when it comes to Neutrals and that I can't think of any incentive that would make them. There are too many zealots on all sides (including ours, sometimes) as well as far too many who simply don't care who they shoot, as long as they have an excuse. That's wartime for you, I suppose.

Cheers,

~R~

Soyuz, you make a good case. Things have not shifted politically since the mercs arrived. That said, the hiring of mercs in Newland City were not just as a diplomatic tit-for-tat response for the changes in Tir. At the time Silverstone had made clear, direct threats to Newland City. It is hard to say whether these were just idle boasts or whether, without the mercs, NLC might have fallen to the Clans by now. And while the Neutrals do have grievances against Omni Tek as well, at the time these events transpired Netural-Clan relations were already at a low point, the moderate clans lacking the political and military power to remedy this.

In the end, the mercs in Newland City stand as a reminder to everyone, both Clan and Omni, that Newland City belongs to the Neutrals and that for foreigners visiting Newland City is a privilege, not a right.

Savoy
    Last edited by Savoy; Aug 22nd, 2003 at 14:26:23.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

I feel a need to comment on this. Mr. Daetona, your message is clearly designed to cause more dissidence, not help rectify the situation at all. Dont get your facts mixed Sir...the mercs in NL are there in response to Mr. Silverstone and his thugs..nothing more.
    Miss Dabblez, my memory might fail me, but where has mr. Silverstone indicated that he would invade NLC?? His presence in Tir was initially to keep Tir free of OT griefers and tyrants.
    Personally, I see the following picture: Neutrals are being fired upon in Omni cities...but not in most Clan areas, bar Tir. Yet, the Neutral community finds it necessary to invite a force to solely keep Clanners out of NLC. Clanners do not generally condone Sentinel action in Tir........Omnis condone the actions of their guards, and regard Neutrals as nothing but a nuisance, denying them their freedom, considering Neutrals to be OT "commodity". This is hugely reflected in the way Neutrals are being treated in their home town Newland. You are barely allowed to walk the streets in your own home...
    No...this is all skewed...you Neutrals need to see who your friends are....as it looks now, you are terrorized into subjucation by the OT machinery.
    I cordially invite you to come see us in West Athens, or Old Athens..find out who your friends are.....you will find 1000 friendly clan faces for every friendly OT face.
    The MMD situation is nothing but a childish ruse....just face it, anyone that strays into the political zone in MMD are there to be shot at...its just how the place works...a haven for the trigger happy amongst us, no matter what faction.

Long live our Neutral friends!
    Anthony "Cogs" McDuff
    Veteran, Cerberus
    220 Supreme Creator : Master of Wheels...the lingerie modeling robot!

(( psst.. that was from Savoy, not Dabblez. Dabblez couldn't care less about politics ))

1000 friendly clan faces to each OT one? Let's talk facts; have you ever read the stats on Clan and Omni attacks on Neutral mining facilites?

I hate to come across as an Omni apologist, I know all to well OT's failings. However I do think the clans are kidding thesleves if they think they are any different.

Savoy

While I said I can't wait to test my skills. I didn't mean on Neutral people. My war is with Omni-Tek. I respect your decesion of not wanting to side with either faction for whatever your reasons may be. Fear not from me.
    "You have enemies huh? Good. It means you have stood up for something."

Squad Commander, Aethyr Knights
    Atlantian

((oops, sorry about that mix up )

Im not talking of petty agression, here Savoy....Im talking basic ideology. To be totally general...Clanners want the same rights for the Neutral community as for ourselves....OT wants and outright says: "Join us or face your demise.....you Neutrals are only tolerated for as long as we care to."
    Such are the facts...hence my referring to "1000 friendly...."
    Im sure you are aware of this yourself.
    Anthony "Cogs" McDuff
    Veteran, Cerberus

Nothing beats the feeling of having killed a clanner and sent him/her off to reclaim for a timeout

I, however, do not attack neutrals unless they attack me first (Right Nealandbob? *grins*)
    Last edited by Tharney; Aug 22nd, 2003 at 16:15:13.

Unfortunately the idea that Neutrals are safe in most Clan towns is a fallacy, although given the focus on the Tir situation it's an understandable one.

West Athen is safe (and a lovely spot for a picnic), but I used to see young and inexperienced Neutral citizens mugged daily on the streets of Old Athen in the days when Neutrals could reach it by Whompa. You'll still see the odd Neutral get into trouble there, although most of the people who can get there by grid are apparently too tough a proposition for Athen's more zealous citizens.

Bliss is considerably more dangerous than Old Athen, and Wine is more dangerous still than Bliss. Both are home to some pretty tough customers, at least from the POV of our less experienced citizens.

I'm not saying that this situation is exclusive to Clan territory. Omni Ent seems very safe, but Omni Trade still has a few citizens who take it upon themselves to harass Neutrals. Then there are the Slayerdroids around areas like the Lush Hills resort, which apparently have not been programmed to classify Neutral personel as the Omni Tek citizens Mr. Ross allegedly sees us as.

None of these threats are quite as dangerous as Mr. Silverstone's and his commanders, though.

[shrugs again]

Savoy is correct that Neut/Clan relations were in the gutter before NLC hired its new guards. Mr. Silverstone did indeed make some very aggressive noises regarding Newland, which was cause for worry given how easy the town is to reach from Tir. Clan orgs have also been more aggressive towards Neutral mining interests, but that may be no more than an accident of geography.

Ultimately, while Loran Warr's mercs may have shored up NLC's security in the short term, the long term solution has to lie with a normalisation of relationships between the Clans and the Neutral populace. Of course, acheiving that is a lot more easily said than done. The situation has remained static for so long now that I wonder if it will ever change.

Much like the situation in MMD, really.

Cheers,

~R~

Cogs,

So what you are saying is actions don't matter, only ideologies do? Call me old fashioned but for me any ideology worth its salt will be back by facts and not just rhetoric.

Own up to the fact that the Neutral community as suffered as much if not more at the hands of the Clans as it has from OT. Isn't it time for some deep soul searching among the Clans? Isn't it time to get your own house in order rather than automatically blaming everything on Omni-Tek?

I've said this all before, but the situation on Rubi-Ka is best described in the old Earth story "Animal Farm". It is sad that so many clanners are so caught up in their sense of inherent self-righteousness, they miss out entirely on the irony.

Savoy

Interesting historical point is Newland rightfully belonged to the Clans Jurisdiction according to the Tir Accord:

Omni-Tek is the superior governing body of the entirety of Rubi-Ka, but will leave to the Council to supervise the areas of Tir, Tir County, Athen, Athen Shire, Aegan, Northern Artery Valley, The Big
    One, Avalon, Mort, Newland, and Western Endless Plains.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

How dare you talk about rights? Clanners are nothing but a bunch of squatters that will die out as time passes on! Nothing but a crazy dogs biting everything within reach, including their own tails!

The Omni "Man Hunters" stalking MMD? I wellcome them - they practice their skills on clanners now, hone them for bigger and more important battles!

As for neutrals - my battles are not with the neutrals, it is with the clan! Neutrals are our friends.
    Soldier Equip

Victory to the omnis! The Renaissance attacked Nemesis in theyre base in Mort. The attackers won!
    [Gimpybot] Kiwaczek: how the hell they plant ct 8 min before timer ? [Gimpybot] Zantezutske: another nice exploit? (The Renaissance built CT)

Vlain: I am milk every of yous!!!

Proud member of The Renaissance

Originally posted by Tza
    Neutrals are our friends.
    Bah speak for yerself. I'm keeping my eyes on those backstabbing bastards.
    Despite everything in the end I was a Fixer and I can say it was hell of a ride.

Miss Savoy, I have not read any statistics clarifying the Clan/Omni number of attakcs on Neutral installations, so if you would be so kind as to point me to them, I will happily study the records.
    I have, furthermore never claimed that Clan aggression vs. Neutrals do not take place, nor have I tried to imply such.
    There is aggression between all factions, it is to be expected...as some elements are clearly not interested in the longterm aspects at all, but dedicate themselves more to the shortsighted financial benefits to be reaped from any military conquest. In addition you have the nobrainers only out to kill eachother.
    I still maintain that the Clans are closer to home for the Neutrals than OT, based on official statements emanating from OT offices.
    Anything not OT is waste..a resource to be used, and discarded when spent. This is the official OT stance, Im not saying it applies to all OT orgs. I know there are good forces working within OT striving for peace, and mutual happiness for all. I know a few of those.
    It does not however hide the official stance of your employers, which is a barbaric one.
    The Neutral community keeps on suffering, the OT presence in Newland is nothing but sad to behold...it is a regime of fear. I recently had a young Neutral agent join our ranks...and the stories he told me were not pretty. Newland is no longer a home to Neutrals, it is a cesspool of OT oppression, where the locals are sneered upon....businesses go bust, as trade has all but halted, and on and on..no wonder Neutrals root up and set up in Borealis instead. Newland is a disaster, and should be reopened asap.
    Clans continue to work for Cmndr. Silverstone to take his forces elsewhere....but it seems we are fighting an invisible enemy on this.
    And...please...there are rogue elements on all 3 sides of the conflict, doing what they can to hamper our work for peace and harmony. These elements are more or less identified...it is only when we learn to ignore them, and pull our forces together that we can make any true headway in this conflict..
    So, instead of bickering about who is worst and the big bad wolf, lets put our heads together to find a way out of this.
    Im stretching out a hand.....is anyone up to taking it?
    Anthony "Cogs" McDuff
    Veteran, Cerberus

Whenever someone rails against Omni-Tek polices as being barbaric, it makes me want to scream. We are a corporation. We are here on Rubi-Ka to increase shareholder value. All our actions are directed at reducing our bottom line, increasing profits, and maintaining our monopoly status. We do this because we are a corporation, and it’s what corporations do. Is it barbaric? No. It’s human nature.

As a young child, my father gave me a book that I still read from time to time to give me guidance. It’s called “The Ethics of Greed.” CEO Nwabudike Morgan, head of the first planetary corporate monopoly, wrote it. Even though it’s about twelve millennia old, it still speaks to us.

One of my favorite passages is “Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant. Need as well as greed have followed us to the stars, and the rewards of wealth still await those wise enough to recognize this deep thrumming of our common pulse.”

To the clans, I ask this. If I came to you and said “I have no skills, and no ability. I will be a drain on your resources, and contribute nothing,” would you welcome me with open arms and provide for my needs? I’m sure some of you are saying “But we would train and teach you,” in the event that I was unable or unwilling to learn, would you continue to expend the resources on me? At what point would you make a corporate decision, and terminate my employment with your clan? For how long would you allow me to be the parasite in your midst, and discard me?

Am I saying the Neutrals are parasites? No. A great deal of innovation and quality products come from Neutrals, and I hope they continue to be a valued community that will continue to receive financial support from the corporation. Is this a barbaric opinion? No. It’s merely a Human one.
    Marisha Durousseau, War Dominatrix of The Honored Maidens

Resources exist to be consumed. And consumed they will be, if not by this generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright?--CEO Nwabudike Morgan, "The Ethics of Greed"

Read Marisha's Journal, and see what she's doing

Quote ::

"Interesting historical point is Newland rightfully belonged to the Clans Jurisdiction according to the Tir Accord"

If you care to throw in a territorial dispute, or property line arguements, need I remind you of Omni-2, or as your kind has since renamed it after a military take-over, "Athens" ?

If you mean to imply that the Clans have any right to Newland City in that statement, you'll be creating one great big hypocrasy. Legal land deeds don't mean anything to the Clans, as Omni-Tek still holds the lease to Rubi-Ka, and if that legal mumbo-jumbo meant one ioda to Clanners, you'd pack your bags, and leave this rock.

So don't spout off any of this "rightfully belonged to" nonsense... You don't get it one way, then turn around and want it the other when it suits you.

Besides, the Tir Accord is long since dead, and all because the Clans failed to govern themselves with any steadfast control. Omni-Tek desolved the Accord because if there is no Governing Body to deal with, no proceedings can happen.

Best of luck to the Neutral Citizens who wish to keep Meetmedere safe and turn it into a thriving City... you'll need it.
    *Cuts to the cold static of an ended Grid-feed...*

Division 9 RSGE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast