Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Restoring the Old Athen Restoration Project

Originally posted by Jake Russi
    [B]Charles, while I applaud your noteable talent at sowing the seeds of discord, and most certainly even the old Trickster god Loki would have some expression of approval at your actions, you'll find that your seeds will take poor root here. The soil your casting your grains of stife upon is hard, stony and without purchase. Feel free to peddle your rhetoric elsewhere. An instigation of argument here will do nothing to disuade the vision and goal to reshape something anew.
    I guess they wouldn't be Omnis if they weren't trying to stick their nose is everybody else's business. Its the Omni way to be as hyporcritical as possible.

It appears that this has good support and the Omnis are really afraid to be shown up. Oh well. Does anyone know what became of the funds that the Mercury Dragons raised? The first step might be in finding out whatever became of those funds.
    Clan Elder of The Pilgrims

... they disbanded few weeks ago.
    Anyway, it puts the question of the cooperation between the two dimensions, and in which conditions the work of one can act upon another one.

And on a side note, no clans should own the city of Athen. It belongs to the clanners, not tot he most famous ones, and should remain under the juridiction of the athenian guards.
    Emilia Enrima Orender, fixer of First Light
    "Whole idea on fixer is being fast, hard to hit. hard to catch and sleazy person in every way. If rooting gives you edge, do it. If u need to chain root, do it. In pvp u use every tool given to you. You are not a knight in shining armor, you are a gangster and thief. You sure dont have to play fair." Snowlion

Originally posted by Sallust

I guess they wouldn't be Omnis if they weren't trying to stick their nose is everybody else's business. Its the Omni way to be as hyporcritical as possible.

It appears that this has good support and the Omnis are really afraid to be shown up. Oh well. Does anyone know what became of the funds that the Mercury Dragons raised? The first step might be in finding out whatever became of those funds.
    Doesn't the fact that we built that city make it, at some level, our business? Among today's Omni citizens there may well be the great-grandson of the architects who designed the town. Among the ruins there may still be things that hold sentimental value to the descendents of those who had to flee their homes when General Athen and his Clan army invaded the city.

I don't believe that Athen is worth fighting for and I fully understand that after 200 years Clanners view it as a Clan city. But don't deny history. It was our city before you came and took it away by force, and as such we cannot help but a passing interest in what becomes of the place. Is this hypocryitcal? I don't think so.

As for the funds MD raised, who knows? I'd suggest you look for a secret off-planet bank account. Curious that MD should disband just before this project is relaunched. Makes it very hard to hold anyone accountable for the vanished funds.

Savoy
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

To my fellow Clanners: I'm not proposing that any Clan "own" Old Athen. I'm saying that a few of the major clans should have just a couple guards there so that all Clanners, especially the new ones can get to know them. I think Old Athen should be a city of Clan diversity that shows off the diversity of the clans. Trust me that I have no love lost for the Sentinels and its only out of egalitarianism that I include them. Because among the Clans all should be equal, even the Sentinels. I refuse to stoop to their level and treat them as they treat others.

I welcome all the major clans in making their presence known among the others. I hope to start pooring on some ideas soon for this.

Word from the architects (FC) if this is possible would also be nice. They did seem supportive of the original project and I would hope it could be picked up again. We realize that Old Athen wasn't build in a day and we wouldn't expect it to be rebuilt in a day either.

To the Omni Oppressors: Any Omni feelings are completely irrelevant, Old Athen is a Clan city and that won't be changing. Its the reason why we fight this war though. It appears OT would rather mess with the affairs of others than put their own affairs in order.

Originally posted by Enrima Orender
    Something similar had been initiated by the Mercury Dragons Clan in last June ((on Atlantean)), named something like Old Athen Rebuilding Project or close..

It was a good and philanthropic expierience, they even managed to raise 240 millions of donations during a memorable Gathering of Souls (you do remember what a GoS was, don't you ?).

I don't know the details, but it seems that 300 Millions was the price asked by the entrepreneurs, and Dragons seemt rdy to pay the rest.
    Well, the ironic thing is what this guild did whith the money (probably bying tons of massive weapons to 'rebuild' Omni Prime..) as the project never went to its term BUT the main point is : It is Possible

((So if we have the dev team's agreement... lets do it, it would be good for the players to have some impact on the game... for once... again))
    The first contractor whom were to restore Old Athen were charging approximatly 750 million credits. Unitsi of Rising Phoenix headed up the project and held the donations. Mercury Dragons were the largest donaters, having donated some 100 million of the 250-300 collected.

This is what information I recall offhand, but the logs of the events are still archived and available for reading should anyone want a more accurate account.

Edit: With inflation, a project of this magnitude would now cost 1 billion or more. Of course, that is theory not fact.

What say you fellow clanners? Could we raise a Billion credits for the restoring of Old Athen?

I implore the architects to contact us and give us an estimate. I'd also to be curious to find out what happened to the funds the Mercury Dragons raised. Even if we have to start over again I've got no doubt that we could do it!

Lets do i it!! .... ill hold the money k? ;P
    Originally posted by Runar Thor
    Having a launch like AO had was like being violently spanked for 2 years straight and we swear by the great, soft pillow in the sky to take every precaution possible to ensure the future safety of our botties

I wholeheartedly agree with this proposition. Having spent most of my younger years growing up in Athen, I would like to see the city reformed, clear the rubble and do something about the slum quarters. I will donate to whatever fund is raised, after all regulations of the project is laid down.

Originally posted by Sallust
    What say you fellow clanners? Could we raise a Billion credits for the restoring of Old Athen?

I implore the architects to contact us and give us an estimate. I'd also to be curious to find out what happened to the funds the Mercury Dragons raised. Even if we have to start over again I've got no doubt that we could do it!
    Checked the archives, the project cost 700 million, not 750 million, and Mercury Dragons had donated some 70 million, not 100. They were still the largest donater, however. When the contractor backed out ((i.e. Funcom pulled the plug)) of the project all donations were returned to their respected donators.

It would be quite a task to raise that much money but I'd be willing to donate to it and I think my Clan would be willing to spend some of our slim resources on the project as well.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

Valor Eternal would support this effort, as we call Old Athen home. While we chose this place because we feel the scars on the city serve as constant reminders of the destructiveness of the conflict itself, it's time to heal the city's wounds and make Old Athen truly a home for the Clans. In doing so, it's our hope that the city would be open to our Neutral friends. The EndGame alliance has long sought to end the oppression of Neutrals by the Sentinels, but our efforts have yet to bear fruit ((*mutters something about Funcom constantly teasing us, but never delivering*)).

We would gladly donate to this worthy cause.
    The Deacon of Doom
    www.gridstream.org

I've rethought having an event for this. I think all Clanners should get together for it. In particular I'd like all Engineers, Bureaucrats, and Meta-Physicists to come out for this. You're not such critical war leaders that Omni-Tek fill find it too timely to strikes blows with your absence and we need all the architects, administrators, and artisans we can get for this. All other professions are welcome, I just don't want people to be too drawn away from guarding Clan territories.

How about having a meeting on Saturday the 30th of August? Time TBA. We'll make a simple show of support and brainstorm ideas and suggestions for the renovation and how it could be done as simply as possible.

All Clanners and even contributing neutrals are welcome. For those Clanners who have misguided disputes with neutrals, please put away your grievances for this time and show the neutrals a vision of a peaceful Clan utopia they can live in.

If this idea meets with approval I'll add it to the events Calendar. I would hope some leaders would volunteer to organize it (Atlantean, Rimor, and DNW seperately).

Wanted to add that I just ran across this file by the Historical Society of Rubi-Ka.

Please read the history behind The Battle of Omni-2.

In honor of this I would like to in fact propose a commisioning of statues in Old Athen. Besides tearing down the Omni-Tek statues which should be done anyways, how about we commission a statue on the southern portion of Old Athen hill after Dominic Athens?

Perhaps we should also honor Romana Athens and Dolap Red in a similar way. There are many statues around Old Athens which could be replaced with appropriate Clan memorials.

Oh how poor are the memories of...who is left again?

I see plenty of people pointing the finger at the clan which I used to lead.

Why it was disbanded?

None of your business.

Where are the OARF (Old Athen Restoriation Fund) funds?

Ask all the clans who made donations (well, those that still exist), me and Unitsi returned all the funds we received (I'm 99% sure about this, as some small individual donations from citizens that we did not keep track of and never asked for the cash was left to MD, a total of 3 million)

300 Million?

Yup, and MD raised 240 million along with other clans who had agreed and supported my suggestion to rebuild OA. MD Clan at the time had the funds to cover the other 60 Million that was needed, but we got word that the project was canceled and refunded donations.

((Canceled due to the fact the greenie Devrel -ARK- did not have tha authority to make a deal or promise us that the project would take place to begin with.))

I'm not answering any more questions at this time, I've got personal business to attend to.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

I didn't see anybody accusing you of anything Windguaerd. Those of us who wish to continue on with the project are just wishing to know where the old funds were.

I don't think most people are reading this thread any more because of all the fighting. I will start a new one to see if there is any interest in a meeting.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123