Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man I really feel bad for you winXP users

Man I really feel bad for you winXP users

All the crap you put up with just to have a 'revolutionary OS'. All the extra patches you must install to get your hardware to work, all the crap you put up with.. all the bandwidth you end up loosing.. and now this?

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/features/ramblings7

I know some of you will say 'none of that is true!' but the evidence is there.. just open your eyes... and and get as far away from windowsXP as humanly possible lol.
    http://community.anarchy-online.com/...1/name/xaielao
    "Yea, I've got your information.. you got my money?"
    Proud member of 3305 Local
    A non-GA Fixer, and pround of it!

Fergus ~ 27 Soldier (after wipe) ~ Test
    "No escaping pain! You belong to me.." Megadeath-Skin o' my Teeth

Fion ~ 25 Opi MA (after wipe) ~ Test
    "Woh look at that MOB! Think I can take it? *SMACK* OUCH!"

I think this thing is exaggerated, credit card companies will track your every move and no one really cares.
    Much of this is a security issue, a good virus can be hidden inside of a downloaded song and Microsoft does not want 100,000 people calling them to get their computers back up.

"After I wrote about concerns with Passport, people declared that there was no way Passport was in danger of being infiltrated. Yet a few scant months after the release of Windows XP, Passport was in fact hacked and all of the data inside could be readily accessed, including credit card and checking account information, addresses and social security numbers."
    There is always a way to hack some system, you can even hack a system with one of its servers ID number, even though that is hard to do and is getting harder every day. I believe some people in Russia tried to hack Bill Gates computer and got past some of his web-defenses, they had the registration number for the firewall and got in. They were caught almost instantly and I believe they didn't find any new tech ideas of value.

Also, you sometimes don't have to wait for a hacker to get someone personal information. Business Week magazine had a "101 worst moves in business" article and they listed three reports where personal information about some people were accidentally released online.

BTW; don't worry about this entire issue; Microsoft has to keep its public figure as nice as possible so the feds don't destroy them. I remember when that happened to a good phone company, they never recovered and if the government tries to do something that stupid again they will have some very rich people after them. The government doesn't want those people after them because 1/3 of all taxes in the US come from the richest 1% of the population. And if that 1% leaves we are in big trouble.

Don't forget to send a Thank-You note to Bill Gates after paying your taxes!

OMG can you be serious? Your one of those in denial.. it's so painfully obvious. Do you work for MS?

MS's products and activities have shown TIME AND AGAIN that they don't give a SQUAT about there customers. You seriously think the reason they absorb up to 1/3 your bandwidth in order to track your EVERY MOVE on the net as well as what programs you run on your computer just because they are looking out for you?

Well one thing is for certain for me. When I am forced to get a new computer and have to use Win XP, I'm sure as hell NOT going to use the "firewall" that comes with it. I'll keep my own firewall thank you very much. With all the security problems that Windows has had right from the start, I'm sure as heck not trusting MS with the security of my computer.
    Anastasia "Aniee" Cervenak
    Martial Artist

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to. -------Mark Twain

Originally posted by Fion
    OMG can you be serious? Your one of those in denial.. it's so painfully obvious. Do you work for MS?

MS's products and activities have shown TIME AND AGAIN that they don't give a SQUAT about there customers. You seriously think the reason they absorb up to 1/3 your bandwidth in order to track your EVERY MOVE on the net as well as what programs you run on your computer just because they are looking out for you?
    work for MS? Nah, I just havn't had many problems with them.

please explain "time and again" and "squat", I have no idea what you are talking about.
    Or are you one of the anti-corporation types? It doesn't really matter, I will win the arguement anyway...

So XP is great ? I wonder why CNET has this then :

Windows XP Nightmares

Seid. Clan Nano Technician, Atlantean
    Proud member of Opposing Force ( Website )
    Seid's Hideout : Home of the Friends List Tool
    I would like to see a mail system in AO, for letters, money and goods, and with mail order !

Originally posted by Seid
    So XP is great ? I wonder why CNET has this then :

Windows XP Nightmares

great? Since when did I say that? I said that it is not Dr. Doomsday and that Microsoft has to keep a great public figure so the feds don't tear them apart.
    Every system ever created has bugs, but I believe Win xp is better than the others and those bugs will be removed.

I don't use the firewall they have either, I stick with my own which is a ton better. But it is still better than nothing, even though it is fairly close.

Bugs? Bugs!

You are so blind.

These are not bugs they are INTENTIONAL devices in windows to spy on you and send that information back to MS. It is boarderline illegal!

Bugs? Bugs!

You are so blind.

These are not bugs they are INTENTIONAL devices in windows to spy on you and send that information back to MS. It is boarderline illegal!
    1: They made the software so they have the right to moniter it, which has 99.9999999% chance that it was put in to help the person using the computer so bugs can be traced.

2: Why on Earth would MS WANT to spy on someone? Don't they have better stuff to do with their time then that?

3: I am not blind, I have 20/20 vision

4: If it was illegal it would depend on which country you are in, and something that was put in to help the customer is not considered illegal, even if could be used in bad ways. It is not like someone is spying on you from the apartment across from yours, its like they are watching you after you invited them into your house.

5: Please get past your "MS is satan!" phase, you could argue that they don't give smaller companies a chance and look much better even though you will still lose.

Your choice: Go down in flames (figure of speach, please do not put in flames as posts), or go down slowly but still keep up a good arguement and get more information for the next time you debate this with someone else, which one?

Question

Why single out XP? Any software you install on any version of an OS has the potential to be bug-ridden spyware...

/me searches for a version of AO that runs under freebsd/X11, finds none, goes back to killing leets and forgets about real life.
    VdpMeat ex-MA Engie

I'm not trying to be a zelot here. I'm not trying to ruin MS. I'm just spreading the word that using XP is not a very good choise right now.

And i'm not singling out XP.. I'm adding it to a list of programs that are known to use spyware and other underhanded tactics that I personally view as a violation of human rights.

If having spyware on your computer doesn't bother you.. so be it. But it bothers me.

I don't really mind. Microsoft Word auto-saves stuff every ten min, unelss you change its settings, yet people still claim that info is being used against them even though it was put in to recover some data left when the comp crashes or the power goes out.

But why on Earth would Microsoft want to spy on you?

There's two things to remember when dealing with Microsoft:

1.) Their primary goal is market share, not money. They assume (correctly) that money simply follows from market share.

2.) Never attribute to malice that which can be easily explained by incompetence.
    Tonitrum - 215/21 Fixer

The authorization system that is present in XP was put in to stop people from using one copy of XP for all the computers in their house. MS wants you to buy a separate copy for each one. So if XP detects too many hardware changes, it will lock up your system and require you to call Microsoft for an authorization code to release your system. Unfortunately using Microsoft Office with XP has led some people to be locked out of their systems every time they changed a printer, tried to hook their computer up to an overhead projecter or make any other hardware change. Microsoft claims that this will just be a minor inconvenience.

Why would MS spy on you? Because they want to make sure that they get every single penny that they think they're entitled to.

Another problem is security. XP allows the use of raw socket connection to the Internet. I won't pretend to understand all the nuances of this. Suffice to say that people a lot more knowledgable than I have said that this is a BAD, BAD idea because it makes it easier for hackers to take over a remote computer to use in attacking another computer.

Actually, it is possible to re-authorize XP over an Internet connection.

I've done that a few times when new software screwed it up.

No big loss, though...an extra minute, and WinXP was back to normal.

EDIT: And as for the raw socket thing, I suggest you read this link.
    Last edited by Tonitrum; Apr 21st, 2002 at 03:39:19.
    Tonitrum - 215/21 Fixer

Do you believe in UFOs? I dont.
    NT phone HOME!!

There are always ways to hack a computer system, as I have said before. I have seen people try to control an entire ISP's system, but they failed quickly.
    No matter what you put in or leave out of a system someone else would build a program to change that.
    I am not going to guess what a raw socket system is, so I will have to ignore this part untill I find out a bit more.

"Do you believe in UFOs? I dont."
    -neither do I, but if one species was created in a universe of infinite size then there must be another life form somewhere. It goes back to the "100 minkeys on 100 typerwriters will eventually write one of Shakespears great sonnets" saying, but in this case we need two of the sonnets to be writen, and we have an infinite number of monkeys and typerwriters.

and this is why I only use win98, the best OS.

Originally posted by tool
    and this is why I only use win98, the best OS.
    Except when it crashes every 30 seconds.
    Tonitrum - 215/21 Fixer

As to I tool, as do I.

Oh and the UFO thing? Yes.. because a UFO is an Unidentified Flying Object.. NOT an alien craft. Hell a bird flying over your house you've never seen before is a UFO!

I'm not some lunatic who thinks MS is out to get me or that the government is bent on world domination and doesn't care about the people it rules over lol.

I'm a concerned end-user who see's the flaws.. see's the bad points.. see's the way MS works and desides for himself that he will never use XP and I try to inform others to BE CAREFULL.

Oh and yes.. life exists on other planets.. the fact that we know the universe is full of them in and of itself proves life exists outside the earth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast