Thread: mission door lag

mission door lag

I have a realy big problem with lag when opening a door inside a mission. I have goten my team slaughtered several times due to the lockup I get sometimes when a door slides open. What happens is I will be pulling, when I aproach a door it opens and i freeze, I cant move my cursor, cant do anything. Then after 4-5 secconds i am at 10% health and my team is dragging themselvs towards the exit on the brink of death. This sucks, wouldnt mind it so bad if it was just killing me, but its killing my team also. It makes me wana crawl into a hole and never come out. I hate that this happens, it makes me reluctant to join a team. Anyone else have or noticed this problem? Is there something I can do to solve the problem on my end. Thanks

Bricksolid
    First Order

116 enforcer RK1

Mission doors are so laggy it's not funny. I think they're just the first "indicator" of the lag you are suffering in missions. They're almost always jerky for me. What I do is when I get near a door I inch towards it (annoying I know but it works). Then, once it opens, you're usually good-to-go... I think it must be the door opening animation that lags it so bad...

textures

My theory with the "mission-door lag" is that it is related to loading of texture-maps. I have a pretty good system (AMD XP1600, 512M DDR, GF3Ti200), but I was having the same problem. After turning off texture compression and changing to 32-bit color mode instead of 16-bit color mode, the lag was much reduced, even though I am still using high-res textures. (My theory being that the texture-maps are in 32-bit color, and uncompressed by default - using 16-bit and compression causes the engine to convert and recompress the textures all the time, I believe.) Of course the client then sucks up WAY more ram... but luckily 512M is enough. I'm still fiddling with the graphics settings to try and reduce the "MDL" effect even further, but at this point I have it down to a controllable level...
    The client seems to need a lot of redesign when it comes to the texture-handling... Dynamic loading of new textures shouldn't cause the entire client to come to a standstill while the texture is loaded from disk, for instance...

"Me, too!"

Greetings!

I'm just adding my "Me, too!" to this thread.

In shops and in missions, when a door is opened, I will freeze up completely for a few seconds. If I am moving before I freeze up, then after I am unfrozen, I'll be somewhere I wasn't just a few seconds before. My character appears to continue to move, yet my screen/system freezes up for a few seconds. Also, I hear a bit of static noise, a distortion or "hiccup" from the sound file that plays while doors are opened. I do experience the same door freezing problem on doors that make no noise, also (like the cave mission "vine" doors).

In shops, when people are zoning in and out, going to the Nano section and Trade section, I am constantly freezing up every few seconds. Quite frustrating.

In missions, by myself, I am able to approach a mission door between rooms and then make a complete stop when I am just at the door, let the door open up, let the freezing and jerking happen, then when that's done, then move forward in to the room. I do this while in sneak mode, so I have less chance of agroing a mob while my screen/system is frozen for a few seconds and I am unable to react/respond. Doing missions with anyone else is pure hell. Whenever someone else opens a door, I'm spun all over the place, ending up somewhere I wasn't expecting to go, completely disoriented and agroing a lot of mobs because my character is still moving while I am frozen. It's pretty disconcerting.

I've experienced this issue on two seperate systems. I've tried every "Visual" and graphic setting available. Nothing has improved the "door freezing" effect.

If anyone has any insight/resolution to this rather frustrating and often debilitating/dangerous issue, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

:-)

You Live, You Learn
    You Die, You Learn Faster

Re: textures

Originally posted by Xurbax
    My theory with the "mission-door lag" is that it is related to loading of texture-maps. I have a pretty good system (AMD XP1600, 512M DDR, GF3Ti200), but I was having the same problem. After turning off texture compression and changing to 32-bit color mode instead of 16-bit color mode, the lag was much reduced, even though I am still using high-res textures. (My theory being that the texture-maps are in 32-bit color, and uncompressed by default - using 16-bit and compression causes the engine to convert and recompress the textures all the time, I believe.)
    Yup, I'm already running this way (On a beefy system). Actually, it doesn't matter whether the rest of the game is laggy or not on any particular day: the doors are *always* laggy, no matter what. "General lag" just makes them worse though...

Happens to me as well...

Sent a mail to support about it, and they said lower the graphics settings. I have GF 3, 1,33 Ghz, 512 mb ddr ram... and so on, so i should be good.

Did lower the settings... helped somewhat, but when it used to be lagless with high settings before ifs a pain to use those low settings.
    Cyrus "Othar" Peak

"The Honored Guard, Serving with Pride, Prejudice and Patience." - Justsabi

Alamut

"My body is my Temple."