Thread: Archer MA

Unhappy Archer MA

PLEASE, someone with REAL knowledge, like an admin, read this.

I've been playing AO for two weeks, and I love it, which compelled me to get to level 100 since the day I started. I'm an MA, and in a guild. I decided to be an archer, because the description of the MA was that bows were his speciality. Well, first you took out the MA damage along with the bow. No more simultaneous fist action. I was initially very frustrated with this, but I gritted my teeth and kept going. Everything I have (all my IP) is invested in bow skills, such as fling, aimed, ranged init. I have an overequipped bow. Now here's the point of this whole post:

I do less damage than anyone else I have ever met in the entire game at my level.

The only reason I kept going is because I was sure it would get better. I was sure that they couldn't really do that. They couldn't really tell us that bows were our speciality, to make the bow a green skill to MAs, and then make it so pitifully weak I can even have some trouble soloing some GRAYS. Yes, that's right. GRAYS. When is the IP reset coming? Why didn't you tell me that the bow was just a toy? I hit like my grandmother!

Edit: PS - Did I mention I'm level 100? I know everyone hates a whiner, but I really feel like I have been very patient thus far without voicing a single whine until now. Thanks.
    Last edited by Spud347; Mar 17th, 2002 at 05:23:34.
    Main: Chando

Well, you are probably the highest level bow-only character in the history of Anarchy Online. I'm not sure if that helps any but that sure is one hell of a accomplishment considering how pathetic bow is as a primary weapon. How in the hell did you get to 100? Did you simply have generous teams?
    Relampago :: RK1

Talking

you got to lvl100 in 2 weeks?
    ...and you're saying the bow is bad?

LOL

sounds like you're having a laugh

Oh Spud, were you the guy that posted at AO vault asking which class was closest to the UO archer? I think I recall this post some weeks ago. Never played UO, but the soldier is really the FUTAR SPACE modern equillivent. Ranged combat his his game, if you get your IP reset for your MA better to focus on your MA skill, and the things that help that.

Yeah, unfortunately, I kinda painted myself into a corner here by getting to level 100, because I can't solo. I must be in a group in order to level, where my only real use is to act as a secondary healer. (Which I can do sort of well, but not as well as my fellow guildmates who are also MA's, which heal better, hit 3 times as hard, and have way better nano programs than I. All because of that stupid bow.)

/me kicks the stupid bow across the room.
    Main: Chando

Think about it:

Most bows require Aimed/Fling. These skills are deep blue. The rate of fire is based on Ranged Init - also deep blue. Going the way that makes even one deep blue skill your primary is deliberately screwing yourself over. I was stupid enough to waste some IPs in Bow-related stuff at lower levels, but come IPR, I am correcting that.

However, going up to 100 in two weeks... Geez, man, I started on day one, and I just got to 100. Of course, I SOLOED all the way to 100...

Fortunatly for you you will be able to use IPR in some times.

By the way doing 100 level in your first 2 weeks of gameplay is quite impressive. I guess you was very well documented and had enough time.

Originally posted by Sigyn
    Think about it:

Most bows require Aimed/Fling. These skills are deep blue. The rate of fire is based on Ranged Init - also deep blue. Going the way that makes even one deep blue skill your primary is deliberately screwing yourself over. I was stupid enough to waste some IPs in Bow-related stuff at lower levels, but come IPR, I am correcting that.

However, going up to 100 in two weeks... Geez, man, I started on day one, and I just got to 100. Of course, I SOLOED all the way to 100...
    You are one lonely individual.
    I was one of the people who believe that FC had a "secret" 12.0 patch just before launch....he he.

You start to think that the Shrooms are wearing off and then you look at the ceiling and realize you got a few hours.

Question Re: Archer MA

Originally posted by Spud347
    I decided to be an archer, because the description of the MA was that bows were his speciality. Well, first you took out the MA damage along with the bow. No more simultaneous fist action. ... I do less damage than anyone else I have ever met in the entire game at my level.
    What happens if you use the bow for the first strike at a distance, and dequip it and go melee while the mob approaches?

I know everyone hates a whiner, but I really feel like I have been very patient thus far without voicing a single whine until now.
    I don't any whine at all in your post.

Cheers,
    Martek

There's a bow out there that has practically all the special attacks there are on it. Fire all those off and get back to punching maybe?

First strike bow?

Well, most useful bows use Bow Fling and Aimed. 2 of which are dark blue, those fire VERY slowly, so ranged Int. is dark blue, then concealment if you want to use aimed. I believe it is neonish. Then he would have to put IPs into MA, Brawl, and likely Dimach, not to mention Physical Int. Then you have to consider the time it takes him to unequip his bow, making a mission almost impossible.

Sorry Spud, I would just hold tight until IPR.

How are you using aimed?

Conceal has to be several hundered more then the toons current level to get an aimed off!

Are you just wasting that skill then?
    I was one of the people who believe that FC had a "secret" 12.0 patch just before launch....he he.

You start to think that the Shrooms are wearing off and then you look at the ceiling and realize you got a few hours.

You are new to AO (2 weeks) and even if you have learn fast how to level, bow users are very rare, so no one can help you right now.

I am sure you can be good with a bow, you just need to learn how to play with it. Don't flame me, I never used a bow, but I guess I know the game better than you ; ).