Thread: ? Backpack bug

? Backpack bug

I have 110 in adventuring, I just purchased the generic large and medium backpacks. Just for fun I tried to use the large which requires 180. It opened and could be used without problem.

I tried to put it on my back, but could not.

What am I missing, what does it matter if I cannot put it on my back? It grants nothing. Maybe it needs to be on your back to expand the amount of weight you can carry but I have a level 88 who has never worn a backpack, just kept them in the inventory. Never had any problem with too much weight.

Bug? Not going to waste 70 in adventuring for 1 inventory slot
    "So shines a good deed in a weary world."

I don't PvP, but

it used to be that items stored in a worn backpack couldn't be looted after a PvP death. I don't know if that's changed or not.

I have 110 in adventuring, I just purchased the generic large and medium backpacks. Just for fun I tried to use the large which requires 180. It opened and could be used without problem.
    So what are you saying? You want adventuring skill to determine whether or not u can OPEN a bag? "Oh, my adventuring skill isn't high enough to work this opening mechanism.... darn.."

Heh! The skill is for wearing backpacks. If you're trying to get another ludicrous change made to AO then you're on your way.

Check the reqs again, it says soemthing like....

(example)
    Wear:
    Req : adventuring 100

The keyword being "wear" not "use".....

What is the difference?

Why would I spend 70 more in adventuring to put his thing on my back. This backpack gives nothing but frees up 1 space. There are other backpacks which give skills, so I see the difference there.

I expected the same rules to apply to backpacks, as to armour. Why would I need x strength and y stamina to wear pants? I can't figure out the mechanism? It is a game element, we all accept it. That is why we are all not wearing the highest level armour we can buy, we have to invest the appropriate IP.

Why would anyone ever buy a generic medium or small backpack, except the money issue. I only started looking at backpacks when my missions started to be outside of cities and I could not sell my items between them. Money was not an issue by then.

So, maybe they should remove adv. requirements on generic backpacks. Not a majot issue, but had I realized I could use the large for storage purposes, I would not have put any IP into adventuring.

Well, the good news is that with the upcoming IPR u can reset your adven skill back to default.

Good luck.
    -----
    "NT's can't over equip armor beyond implants and general buffs (no insane Intelligence or Psychic buffs) and can't overequip weapons since they use direct-damage, damage-over-time and nanoformula methods that require your actually stats and buffs to be active for you to use them. Don't complain about us being powerful when you obviously haven't even played one past level 100. NT's - the original red-headed stepchild of Anarchy Online." - Zaal

Why would anyone buy a small backpack, you ask?

> Why would anyone ever buy a generic medium or small backpack, except the
    > money issue.

After wasting 24k+ on three large backpacks, I discovered that I was dumb for
    having done so. Small backpacks cost one tenth the price but hold exactly
    the same number of items. The only difference between large and small, aside
    from the graphic, is that large has a higher weight limit. Weight limits are not
    implemented. Thus, there is no advantage at all to the buyer to purchase the
    vastly more expensive large packs.

Wow, now that is useful information. I thought that the large backpack was kind of unimpressive in size. Good post.

Did you get this information at Whatsamatta U. from Professors Rocky and Bullwinkle?
    Last edited by hobbes; Mar 26th, 2002 at 03:46:03.

I thought the point of the backpacks was that when you wear it you get certain benefits from it. I think you can carry and open any backpack inside the inventory.
    As far as I know the only point to having the neccessary skill to wear the backpack is for the modifiers.

Cool Re: Why would anyone buy a small backpack, you ask?

Originally posted by Whatsamatta
    Small backpacks cost one tenth the price but hold exactly the same number of items. The only difference between large and small, aside from the graphic
    Even though you are mostly correct (Mostly? Yes, I have on occasion been unable to completely fill a small backpak fully due to weight, have always been able to completely fill a large one).

So if saving small change is important go for the small or medium pack.

Personally, I find the graphic to be the most important thing about the large ones. I can find my stuff amongst my many packs that are on me and in the bank so much eaisier now! I like saving the time, and the additional cost is small potatoes. They say time is money, and that is true in this case as well.

If you use the graphic to distinguish types of backpacks, keep in mind that the unadorned large, medium and small packs are three more types.

For example, I do use small backpacks for my overflow loot (from missions, hunting, etc.) - stuff to be sorted thru later. Medium backpacks for my "important stuff" that I want on me but don't want cluttering up individual inv slots. Stuff like hackers tool, screwdriver, portable surgery clinic, health/nano refills, etc.

Cheers,
    Martek

Geeeeez am i the only one here that reads the back pack discriptions.

Most of ya are right about the large back pack but that is not the point.

If ya have ever spent time and looked at the contents of the container machines you would have noticed alot of diffrent looking symbols on the large back packs. It's not the size but the extra abilitie buffs some packs give ya. I have had a large pack of sprinting since lvl 25 and equiped it since lvl 35. It gives a +20 in your running skill. Some give pluses to other stats and for the most part they are just marked to keep all your stuff in a marked place. Hey once ya get 8 or 9 packs it does get a little confusing.

The requirements are placed onto the packs for you to wear and get the added benifits .

Actually those abilities have been there since the beninning of the game.

The new ability enhancing backpacks on the other hand have only been around 2-3 patches. The biggest advantage I see for these is the ability to tell which pack holds what when you do have many of them.

Mir

Really?

Welll slap my ass and call me susie...lmao I wasn't really aware the skill packs are that new.

The only pack that gives any type of usefull skill buff is the sprinting. This is usefull to me, because i am mostley the PMD monster puller in my team.

Beleive it or not a plus 20 in your run skill is really helpfull if ya haven't gotten the use of your yahm yet. Lets face it every little bit counts if ya have to run to all your missions.

Here here Susie,

I agree I still use Quickness at 124 if I have the NCUs available.

Mir