Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Overequipping and the IP reset: A follow-up

Most people will just quit when the leveling gets insane.

Unlike EQ, where there is a very strong social aspect to keep people in the game AO has none of that so the peeps will just quit when the leveling gets too frustrating.

In my case I left EQ to come to AO because I can solo missions and even without the 14.x patches if I can't do that there is no sense in staying around.

My main hit level 53 as a Troll Shaman in EQ in May of 2001 and hung around doing quests, making twinks and fooling around till just last month, still at level 53. There is no way I would do that in AO there is just not enough other than killing stuff and leveling that would keep me here. If I can't do that I'm gone.

I'm so average that I'll bet this feeling is echoed many times by people not posting on this board.

A tad confused..

I thought some of the point of this OE patch was to get rid of insanely over equipped twinks and people who used exploits???

What they are implementing will not get rid of those. Why? Because they can choose not to do the IP reset. There is no need for them to take their implants out. So let's say someone used all the exploits available to put in lets say ql 125 implants at lvl 20(not sure if this would have been possible think it might be if they were all str dependant.) The only thing they might have to do is min/max their armor and weapon and they will still be gods.

I also percieved that the IP rings were part of the OE problem? People were duping them like crazy and they removed them from the game so nobody else can get them. Isn't this was FC is trying to avoid? Giving some people an unfair advantage?

What about adventurers? It seems that they won't be able to get their IPs for dual wield back. The only way for this to be fixed is to do a complete IP wipe.

I like the OE rule change, especially since the devs are saying that it was not intended to be this way. I wonder what they were thinking since they couldn't see that one comming....

If they want to rebalance the game make a forced IP reset. That way we get rid of the IP ring dupers, treatment exploiters, advents get all their IPs back, etc.
    Atrocious - taking ugly to the next level.

Atrocious - Atrox Enforcer - Member of Ancarim Iron Legion
    Aniana - Solitus Engineer(Uber gimp) - Applicant of Ancarim Iron Legion
    Plasmatiq - Solitus Soldier

Plus countless other alts I play with once in a while.

Originally posted by *****

Unlike EQ, where there is a very strong social aspect to keep people in the game AO has none of that so the peeps will just quit when the leveling gets too frustrating.

In my case I left EQ to come to AO because I can solo missions and even without the 14.x patches if I can't do that there is no sense in staying around.

My main hit level 53 as a Troll Shaman in EQ in May of 2001 and hung around doing quests, making twinks and fooling around till just last month, still at level 53. There is no way I would do that in AO there is just not enough other than killing stuff and leveling that would keep me here. If I can't do that I'm gone.

I'm so average that I'll bet this feeling is echoed many times by people not posting on this board.
    Hear Hear!

hm

OK, then make Nanoshutdown and dominates stick 100% of the time just like roots.
    Atleast then i can defend against traders.

Re: Re: 14.2 bad

Originally posted by Sarelron

I'm sorry, but if you look at the number of people who posted positively in response to both this OE post and the previous, you will see that you are by *far* in the minority. Look at the number of posts so far that say "thank you" and "looks great", and compare them to the number of posts like yours.

Sarelron

People who are happy aren't anywhere near as likely to post as the ones who aren't. The fact that there is a good number of players, like myself, who have spoken out in favor of the decision only goes to show how much the system will be improved upon as a result.

Thanks incorrect assumption

Angry I was positive, now I'm VERY negative

Think about the secondary skills reqs for many weapons, like the Novaflow for instance. It has apx. 530 Ranged energy req. at ql200, which is a skill that can be wrangled/debuffed for around 400. That will cause it to be more than 60% OE'ed, and have it's damage reduced 75%. JUST BECAUSE OF THE "low" RE'req!!

"Unluckily" for FC, Ranged Energy is a skill that can be wrangled/deprived and every weapon with a "low" RE req. will be useless when debuffed.

As I'm an NT with light beamer pistol (which has a ~200 RE req. at ql 120) I'm even worse off.

Guess I'm going Vector like everyone else.

Another thing is the characters with duped IP-rings. They will get to keep ALL their IP's, and be able to redistribute them!!

Originally posted by *****

It's not Funcom's fault you decided to play less socially in AO than you did in EQ. I've got a good number of buds playing the game and we play together all of the time. The Game gave the tools, you chose to ignore them.

Can I have your stuff?

Re: Re: Re: 14.2 bad

Originally posted by Chidoro

People who are happy aren't anywhere near as likely to post as the ones who aren't. The fact that there is a good number of players, like myself, who have spoken out in favor of the decision only goes to show how much the system will be improved upon as a result.

Thanks incorrect assumption
    By all means, I'm not against OE, it's good to make things more balanced as intended, but what I like to see changed with that patch is high lvl gaming... those ppl played the game for a while, and are good payers for Fc that way, but I think they're neglecting them a bit in this patch, from lvl 100 to 150 it will be somewhat superdifficult to get some levelling going on, because of the fact you will be solo-ing yellows again, (as intended yes) and will have to kill 285 of those yellows for one levelup ... this will take up like 5 hours intensive killing at that level, because the mob hp is high anyway so the killing of a mob takes a minute or 2 at least...

So it will be ultra boring that way... I don't want to play a week for a level up personally, and I think this means I'm quitting due to the side effects of this patch... I agree 100% to the main idea of this patch, but not with the fact that they won't tune down mob hp...

i think engi should then get a nano that buff mat crea and time space

a kind of insufe or of mochams that they could only apply on themselves

what do u think of that ?

ROTFLOL LOLLOLLOL!

Cool i get to keep my 300k ips i made from duping ips rings?
    Not only do i get to keep them i get to redestribute them.
    And my 6slot belt with 4x ql200 ncu a ql200 recompiler and range extender will stay on? Not to mention my top of the line Implants with insane treatment requiements?
    MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAAHHAHA My lvl 60 twink trader will be even MORE powerfull, NOTHING can stop me now NOTHING! Wahahahaha!

Note : i do not have a trader ofcource but you get the idea

Well Gaute, quite the informative article there, thanks =) I only have one major question: Given the history of massive failures and bugs that have accompanied even the simplest patches you have released to date, how do you expect this patch containing a major game-wide massive number of changes to go live without a myriad of bugs, glitches, and all out game-play mayhem, particularly with only 2 weeks of testing?

Numerous patches have transfered from the test server to live with many of the bugs still intact that you were clearly informed of ahead of time, that you have even had to emergency repair to keep massive exploits from taking place (I directly recall a certain IP exploit that led to several lost hours because you had to reset the game back to a point prior to the update, was 12.somthing I think...). And now you propose only 2 weeks for the players to test the patch, and you are not certain whether we will be able to transfer our characters over to the test server so we can test these changes?

I hope you regard carefully the following suggestion, and I hope that you respect your players enough to implement this: allow us to copy our characters to the test server, and have this feature in place before the 14.2 patch goes to the test server. I'm certain your programmers are busy, but I guarantee that implementing this feature is going to be more important and valuable to the players then any changes 14.2 might bring. If you have any doubts, just poll the players...

Please give us this feature before testing 14.2

Angry NanoShutdown

Why the heck does an MP, who is supposed to be the angry nanomage, get all the debuffs, while the nano-expert, the NT, gets nothing (Crown of Frost excluded, it doesn't last a long time or debuff mobs enough, since mobs have 1000-2000 to nano skills anyway). MPs have so many lines in all areas that this patch does nothing to them.

This patch just makes other classes more like the NT.

I'm not cancelling my account. I tend to play my lvl 7 token farming characters when I want to play solo (I count tokens instead of exp), and my high levels when my friends are online and we can get a few engineers/mps to let us leech off them.

What about the change profession terminal? Now is a perfect time for it, with all implants out, and all skills reset, you have the option of changing your profession.

I would suggest changing breed also, but that's too easy then, and hard to recognize the characters. But profession change, on the envisioned list, would be cool and would help people play alternate professions until they are all fixed.

Cheers,
    Ecce

Cosmik you need to pass what is being said in this thread on to the Devs.

High lvl (100+ish) mobs NEED to have there hitpoints reduced. At higher level MANY poeple find it nearly impossible to solo anything remotely over yellows and many more cannot even solo yellows. Do you know how long it takes to level up when an off-yellow mob gives you 3k xp and you need 1.3 MILLION to level? People stop wanting to level and create alts with lots of money. The high level game needs some serious attention and MOB toughness is first on the list. Most mobs are right where they should be if you ask me, but mission NPC's have far to much health.

Hell even my 92 solitus soldier has a hard time with yellow Atrox NPC's and he's got QL110 implants 2500AC's 2500hp and a QL144 Nova (self equipped) without some serious external buffs (in the form of a crit buff usually and a good HP buff.)

Even 15% less would be better then right now. The average evencon mob for my soldier has between 9'000 and 12'000 hitpoints! Poeple are no longer going to be able to hold those QL200 weapons at my level after 14.2, they aren't going to be doing 5-8k with specials and 800-1k regular shots.

If you don't see now that mission NPC hitpoints are going to be a problem I can tell you with 100% confidence there is going to be a massive cry from the player population when 14.2 hits live. hell even everyone on test (including me) are already worried about it.

If you agree with me please say so poeple, we need to get the point across.

BTW great job on 14.0 on test, it's pretty a pretty clean patch and team missions (while needing a touchup) are awesome and a great boon to higher level players.
    Last edited by Fion; Mar 15th, 2002 at 18:16:37.
    http://community.anarchy-online.com/...1/name/xaielao
    "Yea, I've got your information.. you got my money?"
    Proud member of 3305 Local
    A non-GA Fixer, and pround of it!

Fergus ~ 27 Soldier (after wipe) ~ Test
    "No escaping pain! You belong to me.." Megadeath-Skin o' my Teeth

Fion ~ 25 Opi MA (after wipe) ~ Test
    "Woh look at that MOB! Think I can take it? *SMACK* OUCH!"

ehh

ecce why dont you open up a thread like this where it belong you whiny ass nanotech!

Looking good!

What a great article. I feel very comfortable with the OE patch if it actually happens as you plan.

I am an Advent, and I am looking forward to the chance to reset all those IP that I wasted on pistol skills that I don't need.

I think the hit that pet users are going to take might be a bit harsh, but so is being slaughtered by a slayerdroid controlled by someone 30 levels lower than you are.
    Nursebetti 200Doctor

Angry

Originally posted by Urshu

Im broadly in favour of the OE patch, but find the above [t50: the "illegally higher" skills due to main attribute reset] slightly questionable [...] Str is expensive for my character (MP) but say I wanted to use a melee weapon that inherits some of its number from Str - I could max Str, max the melee skill and then reclaim all the Str? Sure I would loose some of the Melee skill due to 'dribble down' but it could remain above the (previously) hard cap legally?
    I think That this will only be good to raise a skill to that "illegal" max one time, and if you want to raise that skill beyond that point, you'll need to pump more points into the main skill attribute. Ergo, if you're close enough (high enough level) to max a requirement for a 200 QL weapon, then drop the main attribute, then regain the "dribbled" weapon req points through implants or easy self-buffs, you're going to have an advantage in PvP against someone having purely "legal" IP allocation.

Which, while not hugely imbalancing, sucks. What this means (again, I think) is that there are going to be certain high level players who have a greater-than-normal PvP advantage due to several illegally high skill sets. As a fixer, I'm all too sensitive to PvP imbalance issues, and although I love the idea of being able to get back some IP (I'm thinking of abandoning one of the all-dark-blue fixer nano lines), I really wish the dev team would find a way to deal with this "illegality" in IPR.

Haha!

Now NT will do most damage of all profs and noone will be able to kill yellow mobs ever again!!! You see, NT have problems killing yellow mobs... when everyone else cant OE enymore... well.. NTs will do more damage then you, and guess what! You will have more problems killing mobs... how swell

Originally posted by hexxia
    scenario: engi enters a PvP area.
    trader ransacks engi.
    pet cant respond
    engi runs
    trader roots engi.
    trader risk vs engi: 0
    counter scenario 1:
    MA enters a PvP area.
    trader ransacks MA.
    MA's weapons take a 20% reduced effectiveness.
    MA dimachs + brawls trader, because trader debuffs don't affect special attacks.
    severely hurt trader still taking damage, albeit reduced, goes for a health plunder.
    MA brawls again since it's recharged.
    trader patiently waits 60 seconds for his equipment at the reclaim.

In 1 on 1 PvP there's a counter for almost every profession. It's all about who gets first strike. I didn't even mention high level PvP involving an MP, who on first strike can completely shutdown a trader and keep him there with nanoshutdown and mind quakes.

Re: Re: Re: Canceling

Originally posted by Sarelron

Guys, I have no problem with people canceling. Heck, why should you pay for something that isn't fun for you? But, and this is just me, why not give the changes a chance? Why not actually *try* the game with these changes? Just my two cents.

Sarelron
    ROFL, how long have u played this game?? Give the changes a chance??? I feel thats what I'm been doing since day one. WE ARE STILL BETA TESTERS. Don't u get it. This game have been changed over and over again. Funcom adress issues that ppl dont want adressed. They fix things that don't need fixing. And in the process of this "fixing" they always seem to destroy or brake some other stuff.

Zyphoria 103 Trader
    General of Information
    Omni Shadow Ops

Re: Re: Re: Solo-ability on 100+ >:(

Originally posted by Asmodan

There is a problem because there is nearly always THREE yellow or better mobs in the first room of individual missions.
    Learn to single pull like the rest of us?

Sarelron

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast