Page 1 of 32 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Overequipping and the IP reset: A follow-up

Overequipping and the IP reset: A follow-up

Gaute has a new article out in which he replies to and discusses your thoughts on his original overequipping and IP reset article. You can read the new article here

Have a read, share your thoughts and enjoy yourselves. It's a hot topic, but lets keep the discussions clean.

I don't have any ice cream to give out, but I have some great cheesecake.

/me gives cheescake to everyone.
    Earn free game time and play with your friends[/b]

Anarchy Online Community Representative

What can I say?

Thanks to Gaute and the community crew...

you listened, you responded, you verified and denied as appropriate..
    I feel more comfortable than ever with this upcoming patch.

thanks.

/NetSapiens

Thumbs up Sounds great

Thumbs up to you guys!
    Im really looking forward to the patch.

Defjam 69 Fixer
    Deathjam 80 Enforcer

Cool Very good

* Thank you for listening to us.
    * Thank you for your hard work.
    * Thank you for being flexible.
    * Thank you for being able to go new ways and think new.

I feel that there is no game ever that has had a more dedicated group of people than Funcom now has. I am not saying that is has always been like this, but the way AO is today, there is nothing like it out there.

I for one, look forward to this!

Pvt Nahadra out.
    Formrider - Lvl 73 Crat

Nahadra - Lvl 55 doc

Unfitrider - Lvl 101 Shade

Achiever 66%
    Explorer 66%
    Killer 40%
    Socializer 26%

Thumbs up RE

Actually ....

Yes, quite informative and about what I needed to hear. The RP as mission rewards are a good idea. You never know when you'll need one more point.

OE didn't impact on me that badly, as implants arent affected. Would make quite a mess ;P. (Not that I use overly good weapons or so. Jeez, I'm still on ql35 Riders @ Lv 49 ;P. Blah. Yes, Adv)

I also like what he wrote about our professon, Advs. Seems like we have someone thinking of us after all .

Looking forward to the patch, very much so.

Excellent article.

I did have one question

You get new reset points for each Title Level you reach. You get:

One point at Level 1.

2 points at Level 15

2 points at Level 50

3 points at Level 100

3 points at Level 150

4 points at Level 190.

So if you are Level 200, you will actually get 15 IP reset points. (If you are Level 16, you get 3, and so on...)
    Does that mean when you get to level 15 you will GET 3 points, or will HAVE 3 points assuming you didn't use the points you had at level 1?

Unhappy Very litle info..about Enginers..!

I mean..its ok to OE 20% of your wepon requirements and
    armor..(thats how it shud be)

But..make 20% both for wepon and pets..is unbalanced!!!

Why..not make a different OE % for Enginers? i wont say
    %..thats..up to FC designers.. but 20% OE on Enginers..
    is unbalanced..(i cant say this to much)

Keep up the good work.. the 14.0 patch is grate..!!
    dont make 14.2 bad for Enginers..please listen to us..

Regards

Bluetec -107 Enginer
    Aloues - 113 MP
    Tecscope -103 NT

Well being a MP I guess depending on whether I spend time doing missions or hunting (I don't PVP) will determine how this OE and the pet loss of control function will affect me, but I have one question.

It is true to say that we use our pets as tanks, however in most instances if you get to a room with more than one mob in chances are the second one will aggro you even if you are skulking away in a corner letting your pet do all the work. This obviously would then be a pain if you kept getting debuffed, any chance of this being sorted. EG make it less likely the second mob will aggro you and aggro your pet instead? they just seem to home in on you no matter what. If you think this makes us our lives too easy say so I can appreciate that.

I must commend you for this article though, to me it shows you have taken our feedback and explained in logical sense why you are not doing certain things. I'm glad you explained the implant situation because to me that was one aspect I didn't understand.

I have never really been into massivley oe'ing my char. I guess some of it comes down to knowledge and some of it down to time, so this may not have such massive implications as it does for some. Seems to me like another step in the right direction.

Be prepared for the flames though, it's human nature to complain
    Last edited by Sephauri; Mar 15th, 2002 at 16:02:19.

Thanks!

A very nice article!!!

Im very impressed that you finaly managed to get the guts to do something like this!

thanks again!
    Dhur the Ninja Pirate NT!

Originally posted by DiL
    Excellent article.

I did have one question

Does that mean when you get to level 15 you will GET 3 points, or will HAVE 3 points assuming you didn't use the points you had at level 1?
    You will get the points in addition to the 90 (give or take) you get when the patch hits live.
    Formrider - Lvl 73 Crat

Nahadra - Lvl 55 doc

Unfitrider - Lvl 101 Shade

Achiever 66%
    Explorer 66%
    Killer 40%
    Socializer 26%

It's a great follow-up. As an MP though I'm quite interested to find out how the OE rules handle the heal pet since the heal pet isn't really in combat how can they remain in it?

Thumbs down

Ok now that it is clear I'll give my comment:

What on this earth is the justification of letting debuffs give OVEREQUIP penalties on pets/weapons etc? (sounds kinda silly dont it?) Game balance? PvP balance? That a trader can effectively shutdown opponents through debuffs? This is not balanced, Gaute you even tried playing this game more than 5min? I want instakills back then to even it out, total shutdown of pets/nano debuffs is NO better. Why make the profession that is already probably 2nd best in PvP even stronger at all other professions cost? 2 casts and even lvl 200 ppl are suddenly "overequipped" and chance to resist it is slim. The traders themselves see this why dont you?

And thank you for making even more sure that we get downtime while soloing trader mobs. This doesnt make the game more fun. If you had excluded debuffs it would have sounded ok to me, but not this. Until this I could perhaps pull a green while waiting for debuffs to wear off, now I'm supposed to sit on my ass for 3min. Its no better sitting on my ass for 3min because of debuffs than it is because I need to med up like in EQ.

And why on earth this mathematical side effect of giving 25% penalty for 20% overequip but not for 19%? It creates situation where you are better off using a worse gun. Not very logical eh? You would be better using a linear model at least cut off to 0 below 20%. That solution would at least have some integrity.

Thumbs up

thx for the detailed feedback Gaute. I'm quite excited. Cant we have it with 14.0 ?

I'm just a bit disapointed by what seems a low amount of IPR points. But I guess you checked that. But for sure, you dont want to miss when you reset your skills based on the hard earned IPR.

I think also it would be good that - a bit like the 90 points with 14.2 - you think about the possibility to give some 'extra' from time to time, if you change a lot the balance, do nerfes etc... would be a good way to ease out the impact of some nerfs. No need to give 90 points again, but an extra couple of points when you change the rules of the game would be nice.
    Last edited by nikh; Mar 15th, 2002 at 17:06:00.
    Nikh
    RK2 Omni Martial Artist

Honorary Sensei of The Dojo - Omni School of Martial Arts
    Visit us at: http://thedojo.free.fr

Unhappy First reply

Ahem, I do NOT agree - to all points. (Short post, more elaborate later on)

Most of of all:

My main character is an neutral Pistol wielding Adv (Maximilian) that was nerfed (more than) once in the past.

I want my IP back!

I know exactly how many I lost, you know how many as well (you have the tools). I even GOT them back once (by accident) and returned them because I wanted to wait until it is official. Don't tell things that are oviously 'wrong'. It did cost one single relogin to get them back. So, please, reconsider this.
    Shall I send you the mails with the Admin? It is lousy 1.5k IP, but this is and will be my main char as long as I play AO.

I know, that is nothing is the long run, but for the moment, I would need them very well. And I don't have the time to bring another guy up there.

This was the first post in a whole series.

So long,

Max(imilian)
    100% curious

A difference is still that in PvM (Player Vs Monster) combat, most pet classes have their pets "tank" for them, thus the pets will receive the de-buff attacks! Because of this, weapon users and "nukers" will still feel the de-buff more than the pet professions.

Unfortunately, while this is true, Part of it is not quite accurate. No matter what I do, nano casting NPC's often turn to me just before they die and cast one spell, usually a Root(sometimes a Ransack) and this is generally an instacast spell(NPC doesnt go through the motions of casting a Nano and casts it as I see the message that I can loot these remains) Roots can be broken, but Ransack/Deprive will make it very time consuming to complete missions.

Just my 2 cr.

Also, if they reset their abilities last, they might find they have some "illegally" high skills. We shall accept this.
    Im broadly in favour of the OE patch, but find the above slightly questionable. I realise that beyond the '90 point' period you will have a limited amount of IPR to play with but isnt doing this paving the way for imbalance?

Str is expensive for my character (MP) but say I wanted to use a melee weapon that inherits some of its number from Str - I could max Str, max the melee skill and then reclaim all the Str? Sure I would loose some of the Melee skill due to 'dribble down' but it could remain above the (previously) hard cap legally?

That doesnt seem quite right. Or am I misunderstanding?

Angry OE Whats wrong with it ?

hi all,
    i just want to pick up on one point and that is point 18 in the artical.............

will wrangles become usless ????

the answer there was no, we will just have to keep casting them. LOL so u ppl think we were buff machines b4 what will we be now ? in teams constantly depriving mobs if we can to cast wrangles so ppl can hit better what a joke.

unless u hope that no one OE after this patch then the wrangles will not be needed........

this is not a good idea and i still think spells the end of this game.

all my alts will be affected by this hideous nonsense and it looks like this is going ahead WITHOUT any VOTE by players of the game.......

thats it all

enough........

Re: Overequipping and the IP reset: A follow-up

Originally posted by Cosmik
    Gaute has a new article out in which he replies to and discusses your thoughts on his original overequipping and IP reset article. You can read the new article here

Have a read, share your thoughts and enjoy yourselves. It's a hot topic, but lets keep the discussions clean.

I don't have any ice cream to give out, but I have some great cheesecake.

/me gives cheescake to everyone.
    Thanks for the follow-up... err I mean the cheesecake

/me looks for a cup of hot chocolate now
    Date of registration 2001-06-27 13:46:17 UTC
    Account status Open

Originally posted by MSag
    What on this earth is the justification of letting debuffs give OVEREQUIP penalties on pets/weapons etc?
    I must say, while I am, overall, very happy with OE and IPR, that I do agree here. After all, this is an "Over Equipping" fix. It is a fix intended to keep people from using weapons/armor beyond their native skills. Why does debuffing factor into this? If I can wear my armor and swing my swords with no penalty because I have the native skills, isn't this the intended effect? No more level 20 character running around with a level 100 gun? Factoring in debuffs, while it does add an extra layer to think about in the game, makes traders far to powerful in PvP and the likes.

Sarelron

Originally posted by Jeret
    Roots can be broken, but Ransack/Deprive will make it very time consuming to complete missions.
    Now you feel the same pain as Caster and Weapon user already ...

Page 1 of 32 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast