Thread: Agree or Disagree with 14.2 Anti-OE patch

Post Agree or Disagree with 14.2 Anti-OE patch

Agree or Disagree the 14.2 Anti-OE patch ?
    ==============================================

First, i was entirely agree with patch 14.2 modifications against OE.
    Today, several players have prove me why this patch is a big error.
    I will not complain like hell, but just remind you what is good, and what is bad.

=========================
    GOOD POINT OF VIEW:
    =========================

- Anti-OE prevent low level characters to wear 100+ weapons and armors. Higher you are, Easier is the possibility to OE.
    - AO autorize character to use weapons they dont masterize in skill requirements. Anti-OE adjusts that. And it seems logical.
    - Anti-OE want to be more fair with low level players who suffer of PvP players in the same range with high level stuff.

==================
    BAD EFFECTS:
    ==================

- Anti-OE calculation is a percentage, so it's totally unfair. Lower you are higher you will be screwed.
    - Anti-OE fight against the twink. The twink is a normal use of a MMORPG. A high level player who help a lower one is totally acceptable.
    - When you have spent 2000 hours on Rubi-Ka and paid your fee, it's good to be able to improve a new low level character without the pain to recreate all the process of 1000 hours of gaming.
    - OE is not unfair with low level beginners. When they will be higher level players, they will enjoy the same power too. Anti-OE is not a feature to hearten and protect begginers but to nerf them.
    - OE is a normal way of gaming. If we use normal buffs from other guildmates. Anti-OE is not logical with this possibility.
    - Anti-OE kill the reason of existence of Guilds. All professions cant come with me to do missions and assure my buffs. Let's my guildmates do their own missions.
    - Anti-OE will change dramatically the economy of Rubi-ka. Charges for wrangles and NanoBuffs will be grantly modified.
    - Anti-OE will cause better weapons and armors to be less efficient than lower equipements. No logical at all, even if we have not the requirements.
    - Anti-OE will force players to do more OE than before. Lol, the exact opposite effect that you expect. If you dont OE enough, items will be less effective than no OE at all.
    - Anti-OE kill the pleasure to play with Diablo-Like part of the game. Improve my character is my best preocuppation.
    - Anti-OE will annoy players who only do PvM. Is OE problematic for Mobs ? No at all, let's Anti-OE only cap PvP players.
    - Why have you create high wrangles, infuses and mochams in this game if we cant use them anymore ?
    - Pets will no longer respond to their master after debuff. Hell ! Level 80 will not create SlayerDroïds ! What a pleasure to create one when you swear blood and water and finally succeed to be able to spawn a pet 50 or 70 levels above you ! This enjoy will extinguish when you will see that your pet dont respond to you after 30 or 45 minutes of masteries, infuses or mochams. Prepare a mission raid take some minutes, go to the mission take a long too. The pet will certainly be useless after a few minutes in the mission area. Do you think the Anti-OE feature have to prevent players to wipe more than the mobs in the main room area ?
    - Anti-OE is 20% cap above your skills possibilities. So, let's make a little of mathematic:

With a skill of 100, the cap is at 120
    with a skill of 400, the cap is at 480

Ok, with a skill of 100, we can buff ourself with a simple Expertise Buff.
    Ok, with a skill of 400, we have to buff ourself with an Expertise Buff and an Infuse or Medium-High Wrangle.

A skill of 400 appear in an average level range of 90-110. So traders and MPs are not annoyed to buff themselves.
    I think there is a big problem with that. I disagree Traders and MPs will not suffer about Anti-OE.

- MP are the best prof to buff all others. They have to respond to all in the buffing mastery. Are they not enough annoy by players who cry after them for a buff ?
    - Infuse have a low duration, so players will prefer mochams instead of infuses. Infuses let no possibilities to enhance crat's and engineer's pets.
    - In the same way of issues, create a pet without buffs superior to masteries will spawn an orange pet. Mobs are red !
    - Anti-OE is too difficult to understand, i dont want to use a calculator to know if my capped OE armor is better than my non-OE armor.
    - Anti-OE doosnt work on NCU's CL prerequisite. Why NCU do not drop when we dont reach the CL requirement anymore ? LoL. Nonsense.
    - Why can we learn maps when we dont have the map prerequisite and use them after debuff (abilities) ?

I play AO because it's a great game with infinite possibilies. OE is an essential part of this game.
    Players ! Demonstrate your opinion ! Fight the nonsense and unfairness !

COME WITH US at BOREALIS on MONDAY 18th of MARCH !
    RK1 / RK2

------------------------------------------------------
    Silly are those who dont change their own opinion...
    Last edited by Docgalaad; Mar 15th, 2002 at 14:51:45.

- Anti-OE calculation is a percentage, so it's totally unfair. Lower you are, higher you will be screwed.
    Percentage points need to be looked at, not numbers themselves. At any given time, you can use an item roughly 125% of your current skill points. At higher levels, this happens to be a greater spread, but since all of Funcom's items in this game are based on a graduated scale from QL 1 to QL 200, it only makes sense. Admittedly, they could scale it down more so there's a 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%, 50% range calculation, but as it stands, it's not like it's the most unbalancing thing to ever exist.

- Anti-OE fight against the twink. The twink is a normal use of a MMORPG. A high level player who help a lower one is totally acceptable.
    I had a level 52 rogue in EQ. I also had a mage, and my girlfriend had a mage, that both ended up with 200+ int, jBoots, focus items, and a ton of other things... and you know what? It ruined the game. The climb to power wasn't there, and the game turned into a leveling treadmill, other people that didn't/couldn't twink were pissed at me, and in general, it was a "bad thing" (tm). Twinking isn't a normal use of an MMORPG, it's a normal use of other MMORPG's that have come before. Funcom is stating their position on this issue. Accept it.

- When you have spent 2000 hours on Rubi-Ka and paid your fee, it's good to be able to improve a new low level character without the pain to recreate all the process of 1000 hours of gaming.
    Being within 20% of the req's for an item still leaves you with tremendous leeway to "overequip" your character's gear, just not to the extent that it currently exists. Unfortunately, you do not play in a vacuum in this game, and with PvP being an integral part of the game, Funcom HAS to do something to balance things out. Just because someone's played this game for a long time with their primary character, in the world of Rubi-Ka, that has NOTHING at all to do with their secondary character... Rubi-Ka is more of a world than other mmorpg's have been before it (especially when the capture/hold territory comes into play and apartments get beefed up), and twinking violates the integrity of that world.

- OE is not unfair with low level beginners. When they will be higher level players, they will enjoy the same power too. Anti-OE is not a feature to hearten and protect begginers but to nerf them.
    You get a character to level 50, go out through Meetmedere to do a mission, and have a level 35 blow your brains out with 2 bullets, and you come back and tell me again how this doesn't protect beginners. Enough said on that point.

- OE is a normal way of gaming. If we use normal buffs from other guildmates. Anti-OE is not logical with this possibility.
    Not true, again, wrangles and other buffs will still be needed to equip gear to be within 20% of the req's. People can still overequip to an extent.

- Anti-OE kill the reason of existence of Guilds. All professions cant come with me to do missions and assure my buffs. Let's my guildmates do their own missions.
    You obviously don't roleplay or have a strong sense of community with a guild. Overequipping is only a side effect of a good guild, not a reason for it.

- Anti-OE will change dramatically the economy of Rubi-ka. Charges for wrangles and NanoBuffs will be grantly modified.
    Traders already over-charge so completely, thoroughly, and disgustingly for wrangles, since they're making a 10000% profit margin on the cost of the nano kits they have to use to use the program... and yeah, maybe some idiot player at the outset decided "Hey, it'll be a good idea if I drop 400,000 credits so someone will use 1 buff on me, duh... I'm going to go eat my own feces now", but you know what? There NEEDS to be some balancing where the economy is concerned.

- Anti-OE will cause better weapons and armors to be less efficient than lower equipements. No logical at all, even if we have not the requirements.
    Not sure I follow your logic whatsoever on this one... a QL200 item will still function at the same scale as it did pre-OE patch. if you OE by 100 levels, admittedly, you'll take the OE hit, but that's the idea. Then again, I think I may get what you're saying, but that's like saying that just because you know how to use a bb-gun, you should be more powerful and useful with an AK-47... you'd be dangerous, yeah, and more likely to kill something, like yourself, your friends, anything withing 1000 feet, but you wouldn't be "better". That's what Funcom has to address.

- Anti-OE will force players to do more OE than before. Lol, the exact opposite effect that you expect. If you dont OE enough, items will be less effective than no OE at all.
    Then again, you could always play within the ruleset they're defining. There's a limit to what people can OE, and this percentage system enforces things down to a smaller scale to balance the game. I think you'll find that people will choose to equip within the 20% rather than try to OE so high that they get added benefits... of course, mathematically, if you use a gun that's skill 100 when you have a skill of 80, that's better than OE'ing up to skill 200, since 75% of the gun's effectiveness will be shot in the foot, making it perform less than the skill 100 gun... *shrug*

- Anti-OE kill the pleasure to play with Diablo-Like part of the game. Improve my character is my best preocuppation.
    This game is an MMO-R-P-G. Roleplaying game. If you like the character building, go ahead and keep doing it, just within the new constraints Funcom's implementing. If you truly liked just to objectively improve your character, this patch will mean nothing to you, just define a new set of constraints and rules in which you may work.

- Anti-OE will annoy players who only do PvM. Is OE problematic for Mobs ? No at all, let's Anti-OE only cap PvP players.
    No it won't, not when they tone down MOB strength. Overequipping is the *problem* that forced Funcom to increase MOB strength to such levels, so yeah, OE IS problematic for MOBS.

- Why have you create high wrangles, infuses and mochams in this game if we cant use them anymore ?
    You can, just in a team setting the way they were originally intended, and they will still also work to OE within the 20% window you can do with 100% effectiveness.

- Pets will no longer respond to their master after debuff. Hell ! Level 80 will not create SlayerDroïds ! What a pleasure to create one when you swear blood and water and finally succeed to be able to spawn a pet 50 or 70 levels above you ! This enjoy will extinguish when you will see that your pet dont respond to you after 30 or 45 minutes of masteries, infuses or mochams. Prepare a mission raid take some minutes, go to the mission take a long too. The pet will certainly be useless after a few minutes in the mission area. Do you think the Anti-OE feature have to prevent players to wipe more than the mobs in the main room area ?
    Or you could always summon a pet you can control without getting buffed to high hell. Just a thought.

- Anti-OE is 20% cap above your skills possibilities. So, let's make a little of mathematic:

"With a skill of 100, the cap is at 120

Ok, with a skill of 400, we have to buff ourself with an Expertise Buff and an Infuse or Medium-High Wrangle.

A skill of 400 appear in an average level range of 90-110. So traders and MPs are not annoyed to buff themselves.
    I think there is a big problem with that. I disagree Traders and MPs will not suffer about Anti-OE. "

There is still some balancing to be done. 14.2 is a start

- MP are the best prof to buff all others. They have to respond to all in the buffing mastery. Are they not enough annoy by players who cry after them for a buff ?
    People won't bother now since they know it will wear out after awhile... besides, why don't the MP's just ignore people? Since you can /anon with the new /list command, I don't see as to how this will be a serious problem. Go play EQ as a shaman or druid, then come back and talk to me about people begging for a buff... it happens, will always happen, and this patch won't change that.

- Infuse have a low duration, so players will prefer mochams instead of infuses. Infuses let no possibilities to enhance crat's and engineer's pets.
    Uh huh. And?

- In the same way of issues, create a pet without buffs superior to masteries will spawn an orange pet. Mobs are red !
    ?! Not if you don't try and take a mission that's twice your level, bud. Play the game like the rest of us.

- Anti-OE is too difficult to understand, i dont want to use a calculator to know if my capped OE armor is better than my non-OE armor.
    Sorry, but Funcom marketed this game to people that are at least 18 years of age, and this stuff shouldn't be that complicated for you to do if you lived past that point, and know how to use the internet. Don't ask Funcom to appeal to the least common denominator if it's a vast minority.

- Anti-OE doosnt work on NCU's CL prerequisite. Why NCU do not drop when we dont reach the CL requirement anymore ? LoL. Nonsense.
    And most likely addresses post 14.2. Again, this is just a start.

- Why can we learn maps when we dont have the map prerequisite and use them after debuff (abilities) ?
    Read the previous point.

-I play AO because it's a great game with infinite possibilies. OE is an essential part of this game. Players ! Demonstrate your opinion ! Fight the nonsense and unfairness !
    People are demonstrating their opinion, by supporting the patch and Funcom's taking action. They're also fighting the nonsense and unfairness that OE represents.

Hence, I'd have to say that I agree with 14.2, as I did before I read your post.

I do want to point out that overall mob difficulty will and has been raised even at low levels since overequipping has become so rampant. This is not fair to first time game buyers, who have no friends in game and no ability to over-equip. Sure, someday they will be able to twink thier own low level, but that's like saying every mob should be ql200 because someday everyone will be able to fight them if they work hard enough at it. At least that's my opinion.

QUOTE]

With a skill of 100, the cap is at 120

I think there is a big problem with that. I disagree Traders and MPs will not suffer about Anti-OE.

[/QUOTE]

Thats not exactly right. According to what I have read, The OE cap is not bast on 20% above your skills, it is figured on percentage of the skill required to weild the weapon or armor.

Look at it like this....

If a QL 180 Vektor requires 834 in shotgun and your shotgun skill is 501 you will be 40% over equiped. ( 501 / 834 = 0.6 or 60%) Not only will you be 40% over equiped your damage will be reduced by 50%, going from 8-386 down to 4-193 (25% reduction per 20% over equiped). At 667 in shotgun, you will be able to use the QL 180 Vektor at 100% damage.

If it worked the otherway around, at 667 in shotgun, you'd be 34 points short of using the Vektor at 100% (because 20% over 667 = 800).

Oh, BTW I'm basing my info on this.
    Princess"Lashleigh" Tabledancer - Unit member of Nirvana

Yes, I had my own fan club. Behold the power of spam....