Thread: Leaders of neutrality – part 1

Independent Reporters of Rubi-Ka Editor: IRRK's Avatar

Leaders of neutrality – part 1

Leaders of neutrality – part 1
    Leaflet

Being a leader is a job filled with responsibility. Most of the people on Rubi-Ka work under some sort of chain of command, be it clans, Omni-Tek departments or neutral organizations. Reporter May Wong followed a number of neutral leaders to see what challenges they face in their daily duties.

I knew I was in for a challenge when I took on the assignment of writing feature articles on neutral leaders. Spending a day with them sounds easy enough, but 27 hours is a whole lot. However, my first leader tag-along-day went surprisingly smooth. Meeting Major 'Nyadach' Prabel, president of The Independent Rubikans, as the first in a series of people, taught me about a man of patience, humour and a burning desire to solve conflict with bureaucratic means, rather than a gun or a hostile nano-program.

We met up in Borealis, just outside the No. 5 apartment complex, where Nyadach was sitting along with a group of people from his organization. He had prior to our meeting ‘warned’ me that most of his day was spent talking to people, sitting in meetings, but I explained that I wasn’t necessarily looking for tons of action…if talking was what he normally filled his days with, then that was what I would report.

The conversation within the group was diverse, and one of the topics were Jobe and why the scientists in this marvelled floating city has suddenly decided to soon open their doors to us ordinary people. Nyadach has a few contacts who usually keeps him updated on what’s going on; a woman named Ida Sculler and a man called Horatio Campbell. None of these had been able to tell him about what the scientists of Jobe has up their sleeves and why they run a massive PR campaign these days. Certainly something to ponder, and important issues for a leader.

The mercenaries in Newland were also discussed, and Nyadach had hopes that they would be disengaged by Elite Operations soon, fearing the consequences the hired thugs makes on young clanners visiting Newland for the first, and probably last time. I quote “…being shot on by a neutral means they will come to hate all neutrals. We become as despised to them as an Omni-Tek employee, and then have lost our neutrality in the conflict.”

He also feared that Newland might end up as an omni-run town, like Meetmedere, if nothing happened soon. Keeping districts and cities neutral is increasingly difficuly, and the declining economy of Newland is not helping. The resident nightclub for instance is empty as a leets hive in autumn, while it only a few months back would be boasting with customers. The manager for Neuters R Us was not available for comment on this issue.

The discussion within the group went high and loud, but as evening became night, many split up to join a hunting party, go home or take on an assignment or two. Nyadach and myself continued to Omni-Trade, where he hoped he would meet a few of his contacts to hear the latest word on the street. That night, Ms. Sculler was unfortunately not to be found, and Nyadach planned on visiting the Rompa bar in Omni-Entertainment instead. By that time, though, the whole 27 hours were gone past, and it was time for me to shuffle myself back to the office for a quick report and then off to rest a little. Who said journalism was an easy job?

Despite the seemingly high-strung conflict on Rubi-Ka, Major Nyadach seems to focus more on the political ways to solve a problem. He will, as he said, aid and help stop any attacks on his fellow neutral citizens, but this is a leader who believes words and information is a better way to co-exist on this planet than nanobot attacks and a weapon to the head. Being one of the leaders or, in the case of these feature articles, the top leader of any organised group of people is a very multi-faceted job. Different times calls for different actions. The world is diverse.

This was the first of a series of articles, under the feature “A day in the life of a leader”. Next time, we will present a man who recently took up leadership of an organization and his daily tasks of building administration and confidence.

Good job!

Now this is what I call a Reporter!

This article has earned my respect for Reporter May Wong, a fellow neutral with an eye for interviews, and obviously an experienced journalist.

If you read this May, I invite you to read my own A Rubi-Ka Exclusive! section at Vault Network and perhaps we can meet at some point in time and compare notes?

I look forward to more of your work.
    Last edited by Noticiero; Jul 18th, 2003 at 07:27:11.

/me reads eagerly, then realizes that she wants more!

Fer once tha Grid-news are nicely written... heh

*grins*
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

Very nice reporting. I am interested to see the next article. Seeing as many of the Neutral Leaders tend to have slightly different views on the events on Rubi-Ka. I might sugest that you see if you can get an interview with Circle-G as they seem to have gotten themselves a rather boastful reputation.
    Malcom Ciafardoni
    Circle-G Inc. - The Past. The Present. Your Future.

I'm not a gimp, I'm a trade skill Trader.