Thread: Ring of Luck: Defensive, percentage, or ranted number?

Question Ring of Luck: Defensive, percentage, or ranted number?

Hi all,

I was curious, are those Ring of Luck : Defensives adding a set number of AC to all (ie... 10 to all) or is that 10% to all? If it is 10% to all, I would consider taking my damage rings off, but if it is only 10 to all, well then...

Thanks,

Squick

Rings of Luck have nothing to do with AC, they reduce your opponent's chance to hit you or critical you. When someone tries to hit someone else, the attacker's AMS is compared to the defender's DMS and then a random factor is added. Your AMS is shown on the character screen (the one with your health, running nanos, etc.) and is based on your weapon and the attack skills listed on that weapon (e.g. Pistol and Ranged Energy) plus any modifiers that you add (certain weapons and nanos give AMS mods).

Your DMS is dependent upon the relevant defensive skill (Dodge, Evade, or Duck) plus any modifiers. A +10 Defensive skill adds +10 to your DMS. Unfortunately there is no place on the screen where your actual DMS against the three types of attacks is displayed, so there is no way to know what it is before this buff. Though if your defensive skills are somewhat close to your offensive skills then it is probably similar to your AMS. PROBABLY...

Scorus

Now for most players DMS is usually very low (especially as it is decreased by the agg/def bar most of the time on 100% agg). That's why in AO, during fight you will most the time hit your target. The thing is you dont want it to be too low, as the risk of a crit increases too. This is even more true at high level: as your oponents AMS will be maxed, therefore high, if you dont have a decent DMS, you'll be crit often (which is BAD ).

[EDIT: I did this post a bit too fast and got actually confused sowwy . Im deleting a few wrong comments from here. see my latest post below ]

To make it short the defensive ring will slightly reduce the chances your oponnent will hit you, but more interestingly will reduce the chances of being crit
    Last edited by nikh; Mar 9th, 2002 at 02:23:43.
    Nikh
    RK2 Omni Martial Artist

Honorary Sensei of The Dojo - Omni School of Martial Arts
    Visit us at: http://thedojo.free.fr

Originally posted by nikho
    BUT the ring bonus is added AFTER the impact of the agg/def bar.
    How do you know? Since I run two generally defensive characters, I desperately want you to be right, but I'm curious as to your source. Since this number isn't added directly to your evade/duck/dodge scores, it is very possible that you are right. But I see it as equally possible that your DMS is calculated including bonuses and THEN the the agg-def bar is taken into account and therefore some of your bonus is eaten along with your evade/duck/dodge score.

I wish Funcom would be more open about how DMS and the agg-def bar work.

Scorus

ok as i said above, i did my previous post a bit too quickly and got confused sorry

here is the latest I know of - and please scorus correct me again if im wrong.

** disclaimer: all this is what i gathered from various posts, "studies" by some players and commen sense. Nothing official from FC, and all this could be very wrong

for AMS, see scorus post

for DMS also see scorus post, then know the following: agg/def is supposed to work by adding betweenn 100 (full def) to -100 (to full agg) so your DMS. The ring adds 10. Whether after or before agg/def makes no difference therefore

Now the crit calculation is understood to work like this:

crit chance = 3% + (AMS/DMS-1)/10+bonus/buffs

e.g. if AMS=2xDMS, crit chance = 3%+(2-1)/10=3%+10%=13%

Now here is the interesteing calculation. How less chance to be crit does a +10 defensive ring give you?

the answer depends on the AMS and DMS of the 2 fighting ppl:

% of crit chance gained
    DMS 100 200 500 1000
    AMS
    100 0.9% 0.2% 0.0% 0.0%
    200 1.8% 0.5% 0.1% 0.0%
    500 4.5% 1.2% 0.2% 0.0%
    1000 9.1% 2.4% 0.4% 0.1%

Forget DMS of 100 compared to AMS of 500/1000. You do gain 5-10% less chance of bering crit, but your chance of being crit when AMS/DMS is 1000/100 is 93% without buffs

So basically a +10 defensive ring should give you about 0.5-2% less chance of being crit.

Oh and here is the table for a +20 defensive ring:

DMS 100 200 500 1000
    AMS
    100 0.8% 0.2% 0.0% 0.0%
    200 1.7% 0.5% 0.1% 0.0%
    500 4.2% 1.1% 0.2% 0.0%
    1000 8.3% 2.3% 0.4% 0.1%

so: no big difference! for crits, a +10 or a higher defensive ring (or 2 defensive rings for that mater) do not make so much of a difference.
    Last edited by nikh; Mar 9th, 2002 at 13:00:14.
    Nikh
    RK2 Omni Martial Artist

Honorary Sensei of The Dojo - Omni School of Martial Arts
    Visit us at: http://thedojo.free.fr

cool

i always enjoy reading about game mechanics.

All that makes sense to me.
    {Beyond the Drunken Master, is the Plastered Master} Lilasiandude 216 MA
    Proud Member of Storm, and the Betty Ford Clinic

-Sllammer 216 enf. - Frank the Tank! Frank the Tank! Frank the Tank! Click!

BE STORM

All that is news to me. Thanks for sharing!

Scorus

I'm confused. AMS is the attack rating which determines minimum attack. how does that effect the chance of being crit?
    Last edited by ODieLag; Mar 12th, 2002 at 21:58:37.