Thread: My humble idea for increased Rp'ing

Lightbulb My humble idea for increased Rp'ing

I was just thinking about an old text-based rpg that I played online several years ago called Gemstone 3. The actual game sucked (imo) and there was no storyline to speak of...however one thing that I remember best about it was that almost everyone Rp'ed to some extent. I really wish that more people would Rp in AO cause imo it just makes it more fun and the game comes more alive. So to that I end I propose a new in-game command taken from Gemstone. The ability to *thump* lower level characters. In Gemstone once you got to lvl 20 (which took a long damn time) you gained the ability to thump characters lower level than you who weren't Rp'ing. In AO I think the level to be able to start thumping lower level chars should be around 100. When you are thumped you can't move, can't talk, can't do anything for a few minutes (think of it as a time-out for you to think about the bad, bad things you did ) I don't think everyone should Rp if they don't want to but hey guess what...they have this nifty command /tell you can talk ooc all you want on there if you want and they even have ooc channels.

NOTICE This is not a joke and I really do think it should be implented only change the name to like enforced statis or something.

Film director extraordinairre RandaZ's Avatar
    Deljin Blaed,

AO's designers have stated upfront that you should be able to play the game without RPing (if you can even define exactly what it is to begin with). It is not enforced by design. And fiscally, it shouldn't as the RPers are supported in good part by those that are here just for the game mechanism. A separate server for RPers would be nice but that's a whole other can of worms.

And I haven't even mentioned yet that there's absolutely no correlation between a good roleplayer and their level. With the *thump*, you'll have level 200's who may be bored and decide to thump everyone they see just to grief them. That's hardly roleplaying, or even enforcement of it.

Instead, I suggest you try to find roleplayers and start hanging around them (short of being annoying). That's the simplest solution and the most empowering. Ignore the rest of the people that run around ooc. Heck, if you think about it, most people in a real city run around thinking and saying things that might not pertain directly to your view of the world anyway. In the real world, you just mentally filter it out, and I suggest you do the same here.

Tap
    Slotine Zembower
    R.U.R. Member (RK1)

Tappert Solminski
    Tailor of Rome-Blue (RK1) [currently MIA]

Red face

I hope this does not turn in to another long post like my others today...

Although I must add that in my opinion, even if you roleplay it is okay for you to use OOC. Since it is out of character; I like to roleplay, although I also enjoy hopping on for a few minutes and doing a solo mission or chat on OOC about non-roleplaying things. So, I suppose I am a casual roleplayer. Another thing is that it is harder to tell roleplaying from other chatting sometimes, since this is not a fantasy game and one would think it is common to talk very much like people do in real life. For example, I can imagine a person saying things like, 'sup on Rubi-Ka, though I cannot see anyone doing this on Norrath or Britannia. Even if I sound very obvious, I decided I should point this out, because I am feeling chatty today
    Katsue, Engineer, RK2

Unit Commander, R&D department, Vox Populi

"That's right, I'm going to polymorph into a pergrine falcon and attempt to land on the back of one of the 12 griffons flying above us."

Yeah actually I didn't think of *thump* abuse I just have a hard time finding other Rpers. Also I don't think everyone should RP if they don't want too I am just saying that there are other channels made specifically for them. I can understand people not rping around the BB in omni-1 but when I am out in Omni Forest or Lush Fields I really hate it when I hear someone yell to one of his friends "HEY did you hear KU won against Colorado this morning?"...oh well so much for that idea

I don't mind people saying sup or anything either...if someone actually went around saying thee and thou I would laugh my a$$ off. I just dislike it when people talk about things so obviously out of character that it *ruins* (can't think of a better word...sounds very extreme but i don't mean it that way) gameplay. On the ooc channels i think it's just find...after all the channel is specifically for ooc chats and dialogue.

It torques me when people say 'Aye' in response to a yes/no question.

One thing I like about AO is that, even roleplaying, it makes sense not to talk in "The King's Good English," which is good, because other roleplayers seem more natural in plain English. People who didn't know when to use thee, thou, and you properly in games like UO and EQ ticked me off.

For the record, and I'm not even sure of it, I think 'thee' is the singular 'you' as an object, like "I will bring thee a bucket of water," or "I shall send my lackeys to thee for information."

'Thou' is like you, but singular. "Thou dost not know the danger that lies before thee (ahhh! see, the danger doesn't lie before 'thou', because 'thou' isn't an object!)."

And you is plural, "You (a group of guys) must eat pie." 'Thou' doesn't eat pie, because thou is only one person.

BTW, is there anyone who wants to start some new slang for Rubi-Ka?

Originally posted by DJuxtapose
    BTW, is there anyone who wants to start some new slang for Rubi-Ka?
    Aye
    Lockkjaw
    Atrox Enforcer, Omni Citizen
    Coverup
    Neutral Agent, Undercover as an Omni-Tek Reporter

"It's not my fault being the biggest and the strongest, I don't even exercise." Fezzik
    "The ethically bankrupt and greedy go Omni." Thyrra
    "Ethically bankrupt and greedy since 02.01.29476." Lockkjaw
    ~Read Coverup's latest story here~

Talking

LOL
    The only thing to phear...is the little gremlin in the back of my head...

It had to be an Omni, didn't it?

The Clans - Counting on Omni-Tek to Piss Them Off at Every Possible Oppurtunity -

Film director extraordinairre RandaZ's Avatar
    Yes, only omni's have a sense of humor..

/puts on his battle gear and prepares for the worst

Tap
    Slotine Zembower
    R.U.R. Member (RK1)

Tappert Solminski
    Tailor of Rome-Blue (RK1) [currently MIA]