Dareus		22
    Desbet		21
    Kiryat		21
    Bionitrous	20
    Rhayden		20
    So long,

Max(imilian)

P.S. My concerns are still the same.

P.P.S. I want my IPs back (Multi Ranged nerf -> Adventurer)
    100% curious

Re: Re: Re: Oh god, I'm a girl I don't understand math (Barbie had it right!)

Originally posted by Phelisha

WHAT?!?! lvl 65 engineer kep a 100 bot?
    what a load of bull**** that is!
    im lvl 70 and the best im gonna bebale to do is a lvl 91!
    unless you have ql 150 implants in that you OE'd to get, then i DOUBT your gonna get anything above an 75.
    (i have ql90 implants on, without insane buffs to get them)
    Yeah implants ... DUH! ql90? I had ql91 implants in at level 45, without cheating in any way. You should be able to get at least 110's if not better at your level.

For someone that supports OEing, you sure don't know much about it.

Originally posted by Maitrize

But keeping track of it would be like doing bloodwork for diabetes. This is a GAME, not meant to be a chore.
    Errr ... nice excuse. I do this all the time. I even keep a general int buff running at all times for that extra 1 point of BM/MM. It's no problem at all.

Originally posted by Scumbug

not sure if that was a criticism of the seperate rules for
    seperate servers idea . .? or was it support?

of course if an overequiped character moved to the
    anti-OE server he would suffer the penalites there.

forget that idea for now tho, i'm on a new crusade:
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...threadid=15722
    I am not trying to support, or destroy that idea. I only think that with the state of the game it will be impossible to maintain 2 different set of rules and keep them updated with any consistency.
    Date of registration 2001-06-27 13:46:17 UTC
    Account status Open

hmm...

In my opinion I think its a litle unfair to only let weaponusers OE 20%, but then again every class can OE some sort of gun 20% if they are willing to waist IP... It is logical that pets that you arent good enough to comand wont listen to you, but it is allso logical that when you are not smart enough to use some sort of gun, you cant.... And what about the people that are pure casters? Will they be able to OE their weapons 20%?? If they were it wouldnt be smart though, considering the lack of nanopool, but still, does this seem fair? Personaly I dont care about theese things, but think of the people that get affected by this stuff?
    I am looking forward to the OE patch (I say it again, this will be verry good for NTs! and dont even think about putting in a new nerf just because I said this FC :P )

PS. My finger hurts from all the scrolling..

Re: hmm...

Originally posted by Yme
    In my opinion I think its a litle unfair to only let weaponusers OE 20%, but then again every class can OE some sort of gun 20% if they are willing to waist IP... It is logical that pets that you arent good enough to comand wont listen to you, but it is allso logical that when you are not smart enough to use some sort of gun, you cant.... And what about the people that are pure casters? Will they be able to OE their weapons 20%?? If they were it wouldnt be smart though, considering the lack of nanopool, but still, does this seem fair? Personaly I dont care about theese things, but think of the people that get affected by this stuff?
    I am looking forward to the OE patch (I say it again, this will be verry good for NTs! and dont even think about putting in a new nerf just because I said this FC :P )

PS. My finger hurts from all the scrolling..
    If you have a weapon, you shoot. You take a beating, etc...

If you have a pet:
    1) it tanks for you, pets have tons of HP and are expandable.
    2) who said you couldnt use a weapon?

The nerf on weapons is just as bad as an incapacited pet. There is nothing else around to take the beating but you.

A pet under the new rules should still be a slaughtering machine, as long as you know how to control it (trimmers, how to pull with it). What this patch will bring to pet users is a need to be more careful than just entering the mission area, stand by the door /pet hunt and zone out if you aggro. Some engineers are playing the game at this moment with the envisionned patch restrictions in mind, and are doing fine... even on missions above 50%; and not all of them are 'newbies under level 100'.

Time to learn how to use trimmers and how their relative QL affects your pet. Well, I guess with the IP reallocation some engineers will need to boost their mechanical engineering and Quantum shields skills...

In short: 25% damage reduction on your gun means you better stop trying to fight the stuff you were fighting until your skill is back. Not worse than have your pet sipping on a bottle of oil while watching you take a beating
    Last edited by Lilith; Mar 14th, 2002 at 13:32:19.
    Account status Open

Originally posted by RedSonja

Oh you don't know how much I love posts like this.
    That is right Nadir, you are so correct /Sarc
    Everybody who is against OE is just a bunch of lazy newbies with no idea how the game should be played.
    In fact I've seen them, they log on, run around Newland or Athen for a couple of hours saying things like:
    "Don't leave town you'll be killed"
    and
    "Those OE'ers, you wanna watch out for them they cheat"
    Then they log off for the night.

You stand back taking the high-ground, dictating that anybody who is against the playstyle you have adopted is not playing the game correctly.
    That they are just a bunch of whiners with nothing better to do than complain.
    Of course you haven't thought for a second that what they have to say is constructive.
    What they have to say is echoed by many others.
    No, it's against your point of view so it's fingers in your ears time "La la la la, if I can't hear you it can't be true"
    In your eyes OE'ers are right, they are always right no matter what they have to say.
    Everybody else is just scum and if you had your way wouldn't even be able to post here because what they have to say is just wrong.

Adapt or leave, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.
    We will really see who the real gamers are after this patch.
    The real gamers will now sit down, work out the best weapons and armour to use and go out there and purchase.
    The true gamers will be here many months after 14.2 working out more options for their characters.
    As for the quitters, those that like the easy ride, those that must always be right, well they will have left.
    Moved on to something new until such time that game too is changed and they feel compelled to leave.
    It's survival of the fittest, those species that adapt survive, those that don't crawl off to a corner never to be seen again.
    Slow down there kid...I didn't say all over-equippers were right, I didn't say anti-OErs were wrong, and I didn't call anyone scum. Your post just validates what I said, if you think that over-equippers can kill people if they leave Newland you can't be very experienced. You need <26% suppression gas for that, something you should very well be aware of at your level (maybe you meant something else).

And a "real" gamer evaluates the rules of the game and uses them to his or hers advantage to perform better in the game. People like you hit some kind of barrier and start whining about it being too hard. Let's say you assemble a hockey team and you aren't doing pretty well. Will you whine and yell and demand that they make the goals wider?

But you are right, the "real" gamers (I hate that expression btw) will figure out new ways to improve themselves, while the others will find something new to whine about. Those that you say "take the easy ride". So take your own advice and crawl into that corner instead of trying to force other people to do the same just because they have something others don't. Adapt or leave, as you said yourself. Why can't people adapt, and instead change the rules and force those who did adapt to do so again?

And this doesn't go for 'sploiters, they kind of ruin the whole thing. And by that I don't agree with people (lots of them in this thread) who'll call everyone a cheater and an exploiter just because they get outside buffs or do some research.

Originally posted by Nadir
    And a "real" gamer evaluates the rules of the game and uses them to his or hers advantage to perform better in the game.
    Mmmmh dangerous thinking. Are you a lawyer?

Where are the rules stated? Under your reasoning, I will assume the rules are what the game allows. Let's say a bug would allow you to be immortal and dupe items, as a "real" game you find it and it is then your job to use it.

/!\ Disclaimer: Before someone with an IQ lower than 90 tells me something about OEing not being an exploit,... I didnt say Overequipping was an exploit. Ok? Its not an exploit. I just used the exploit example to mark the sillyness of Nadir's argument.

Also, Nadir, a real game evaluates the rules... the rules will change, you will only need to re-evaluate them, as a true gamer. What's so scary? No one removes the possibility for smart gamers to have an edge against people who don't know how to play.

Overequipping works fine for a while, but a high levels you cannot overequip as much, you fall back to the normal overequipping; that can be the reason why there are so many low level twinks around, and so many people stuck arount level 130.
    Account status Open

Many of you have your math wrong on this OE thing...It's 20% of the items requirement that determines OE. So that means it.s 125% of YOUR skill!

An easy formula to figure out if you will meet the OE req's of an item is to take your base skill and multiply it times 1.25. If that number is greater than the skill check for the weapon/pet, then there is no OE penalty.

If Skill x 1.25 > SkillRequired Then Item = OE
    Milford "Cordale" Neblett
    Meta-Physicist Extraordinaire

Proud Member of 3305 Local
    Atlantean

Originally posted by Saltros
    If Skill x 1.25 > SkillRequired Then Item = OE
    /me wonders what he means when he says people have their math wrong.

Isnt Gaute's formula clear enough?

OE = 100 - (Your Buffed Skill or Ability / Requirement in Same Skill) x 100. If this formula yields 20 or higher, your weapon is over-equipped.

It's only a percentage for god's sake. What's so hard to understand?
    Last edited by Lilith; Mar 14th, 2002 at 14:00:55.
    Account status Open

Originally posted by Lilith

Mmmmh dangerous thinking. Are you a lawyer?
    No comment

I also want to know where "the Rules" are stated, the EULA is practically meaningless, since they go by different "policies" that they take the right to create and modify at any given time without informing the customers, instead letting the customers stay up to date. Brrr.

You said yourself in your example that it was a bug that made you immortal. Funcom has stated that using a bug to acquire advantages is an exploit (you'll need to try harder if you're trying to make me look sillier than I already am). I do NOT call outside buffs exploits, and that's pretty much all that's needed even for a little lvl 6 character to get ~QL 35 implants on, and then getting a big weapon on. I don't understand why that seems to be so hard. And at one patch they stated that "The treatment clinics now works as intended." Hilarious, moments later it was discovered that it was still possible to stack treatment, and it wasn't even an exploit since they said themselves that it was intended. Some words have to be used very carefully

Some people are doing their skill X 120% to get what is OE for them...not item skill req X 80% to see at what skill level that item would be considered OE.

Also...I HOPE than Funcom only makes the OE reduction only once per item and just uses the skill that has the highest OE % as it's penalty base. CZ?
    Last edited by Saltros; Mar 14th, 2002 at 14:06:43.
    Milford "Cordale" Neblett
    Meta-Physicist Extraordinaire

Proud Member of 3305 Local
    Atlantean

Talking Is extreme OE ethical

I see a lot of the "not like the patch" people use the fact that the game allows it as an argument.

Bending a rule to the extreme is a sort of
    exploit. Not the cheating kind, but it is a grey area. It also creates a fuzzy border... A fuzzy border is okay in a logical system (as a program) as long as they are within a fixed set of borders The degree of twinking done by a large number of players (and creating a norm) is starting to bend those borders. I can unly guess that is why FunCom started this process some months ago. Its been a while since the first post on OE was made by FunCom, so its clearly that the game engine is suffering from OE.

More and finer steps between damage reduction like Scumbag proposes, could be good way to go.

So Nadir, after 14.2 FC can just state that *OE now works as intended* and everyone will be happy!

Dareus 22

Damn, I hope no one notices I didn't really do too much at work yesterday.

What about

What about demanding that you would take off all armour and now equiping weapons while installing implants?

One thing is for the nano to wear off, but another thing is to go through 15 sets of implants to meet the skill reqs for equiping your battle gear. Thats the design flaw that FC did, checking for equiping and not for use. That is also the reason why I welcome this change as a enrichment of the game AO!

You said yourself in your example that it was a bug that made you immortal. Funcom has stated that using a bug to acquire advantages is an exploit (you'll need to try harder if you're trying to make me look sillier than I already am).very carefully
    I said it was an bug.

What does it change to the reasoning?

What is a bug? Something that should not be in game? An oversight by a programmer?

Is over equipping to the extreme an oversight too? I think it is. Thus it could be considered as a bug, and by extension using it considered an exploit? I said it was dangerous thinking.

Because the game allows you to, doesnt mean you can do it and expect to be able to do it forever. That was the case with TMS, it was not a bug, it was an oversight. It is now the case with overequipping. Its not a bug, its an oversight. But at some point, an oversight in the code (like not checking upper limits of an equation) becomes as bad to the game, as a bug that allows you to dupe items.

We have no written rules to develop our characters, only what the game allows us to do. So if the game allows it, it must have been intended? It was partially intended, but the formulas were not precise enough. They allowed people to OE far too much beyond the scope of what was originally intended.

Who's at fault?

The players for using that to their best advantage?
    The programmers to let that kind of thing slip in the code?
    The company to change things after so many months?

It does not matter. What matters is that the game should be challenging and entertaining. Unfortunately that last definition varies from gamer to gamer. And its up to the company to define what they want their game to be.
    Account status Open

Finally able to read this to the last post...

I am all for this patch...
    Someone said in an earlier post

"Oh, dear, here is my level 80 soldier with a QL 115 Nova Flow popping off for an average damage of 150, every second. Here is my NT buddy, level 80, popping off nano forms every 3 seconds for 700-1.3K dmg. Whoops, the big bad damage dealer soldier BLOWS! "
    OMG!!!! You think you will actually have to start teaming with other classes like NT's, Fixers, Advs etc?

I dunno about you, but the word "balance" comes to mind..

As far as my OE opinion... You will still be able to OE damn it... in a smaller scale but you will. and you can still costumize your own character in a hell of a lot ways... if you don't think so, you're a bit narrow minded...

You say uber-OE'ers takes skill to study the game, figure out which setup is best etc etc...
    Why not use that super duper uberness now to figure out the best setup in this smaller scale presented to us... not hard since most you claim to be the Elite of the players

Another point, makes me laugh to read some people complain they will not be able to solo 60% - 70% missions anymore...
    This is the proof that most people that are complaining know nothing about how gimped some professions are, and desperately need some balancing with other professions damage etc...
    As a mid-lvl NT I find it extremely hard to solo a 50%, a fixer friend (OE'd to his teeth) says the same...
    the average OE'ed Soldier, enforcer etc say 50% missions are POOh
    (can you see the balance here)?

I do agree though that Mob HP should be lowered...
    (cryes: Also resists FFS)

I do think this patch is exactly what AO needed in terms of balance. As in doesnt make everyone the same, and also doesnt allow a diference of 100 levels between a new player with friends, and a new player with no friends that wants to make it as well.

Maybe who knows, if this patch works as good as I picture it, the NT will no longer be only the HE chain caster, and maybe (just maybe) we might start to cast some dmg nukes (that actually damage)

I think it doesnt make a difference discussing it :P FC has made up their minds already.

- A
    Bureaucrat Akushin
    OT Foreign Affairs Div.

Rules What Rules

No comment

I also want to know where "the Rules" are stated, the EULA is practically meaningless, since they go by different "policies" that they take the right to create and modify at any given time without informing the customers, instead letting the customers stay up to date. Brrr.

You said yourself in your example that it was a bug that made you immortal. Funcom has stated that using a bug to acquire advantages is an exploit (you'll need to try harder if you're trying to make me look sillier than I already am). I do NOT call outside buffs exploits, and that's pretty much all that's needed even for a little lvl 6 character to get ~QL 35 implants on, and then getting a big weapon on. I don't understand why that seems to be so hard. And at one patch they stated that "The treatment clinics now works as intended." Hilarious, moments later it was discovered that it was still possible to stack treatment, and it wasn't even an exploit since they said themselves that it was intended. Some words have to be used very carefully
    I have posted this before but , oh well. There needs to be an updated manual. In this type of game where things change so much you should up date it with each patch. I just feel so much has changed that even fumcom forgets some of the things. I know there is an online manual however i said the word UPDATED"

Page 76 of 90 FirstFirst ... 2657585960616263646566676869707172737475767778798081828384858687888990 LastLast