Thread: Over-equipping - here we go....

OE Weapons with Stats?

I got eyestrain after reading 10 pages of this thread, so I skipped ahead. Apologies if this has been answered in the intervening pages =/

What happens to items with stat boosters that are overequipped?

(pillows, certain nice pistols, SMGs, summoned weapons, summoned shields, sunglasses cloaks and certain armors, etc etc...)

example: NT squeezes into a pillow with the help of a boatload of enforcer buffs. Enforcer buffs eventually wear off. Will NT still retain 100% of the stat boost that the pillow provides?

Re: Thumbs down...

Originally posted by Lumens
    One more for DAOC. Bye bye FC.
    Tell all the DAoC people about 14.2. AO could use an infux of people that quit because this patch took too long.

oh yeah, and wouldn't it have been easier to write the equation for overquipping like this:

(buffed stats) <= (0.8)*(required stats)

?

/nitpicking off

Unless someone makes another point I seriously want to try and show flaws in I'll just watch the board after this one

What sort of message does 19 pages and 8 hours of arguing say about the validity of releasing this patch?

If someone can answer that honestly, in favour, and without me coming back to trip them up on a comment, I will be V surprised
    Traders are Kings, they are the ultimate in self-buffing and no one can change it :P

http://www.anarchy-online.com/charac...2/name/gokudan

Angry

There's a lot that could be said, but let's start simple.

- I like to solo missions
    - I like building relationships with other players for hunting
    - I like to be rewarded for the time I spend fighting
    - I like to be rewarded for planning and playing smart

The pull of this game (IMHO) is that by being smart I can plan implants/buff combinations that maximize my return on the time I invest in the game. It adds a "thinking" aspect to a game that would otherwise be rather dull. This also allows me to gain a decent amount of experience without investing 15 hours a day.

A heavy penalty for overequipping removes much of this flexability. People want to be rewarded for their determination (if playing brute force) OR smarts (if playing buffed). Please consider lowering the penalty for those that aren't radically overequipped (<75%).

This is a high-tech world and those who employ that tech to the fullest should be rewarded, not hindered.

If you want to fix something laughable, look at the MAs. How is he hitting me from 5+ yards away? Why can a MA hit me with his fists for more damage than I can hit him with an Assault Rifle? Why can they hit while moving and I can't fire rifle at a guy right in front of me while I'm walking? One would think that the game designers have been spending too much time on DAoC...

For more fun, look at Agents. An "aimed shot" can be fired instantly...where's the "aim" part? Wouldn't it make more sense to have a few second buildup time once the attack is initiated? That way they could take the time and do an aimed shot during regular combat. If a MOB is attacking another team member, an agent should be able to take his time and pull off an aimed shot while the MOB is distracted.

Let the flames begin...

Originally posted by Sdloner
    THIS IS INSANE!!! How in the XXXX will this help the game?!?!!!!! It's just going to piss people off even more, and show exactly how stupid you guys are. If I notice any damage loss in my new hammer I'll be canceling my account for the second time, and ill bet you anything that you'll loose enough people from this patch that some of you XXXXXXXXX who keep making these terrible changes will be fired aswell. This game only consists cheep graphics, crapy architecture, low frame rates, Terrible design, and UNCOMPREHENDIBLY IDIOTIC changes to aspects that are fine the way they are. Ive worked on simple first timer mod teams who have made better things than this piece of **** game. The only thing holding it together is it's funfactor, but you morons seem to strive to destroy that. A game can be perfect to your ideals, and will be perfect and fun for the dev team, but its the fans who count. Your running this game into the ground, leave it EXACTLY like it is or else injoy your last days as a game designer, because "Worked on Anarchy-Online" will only hurt your resume.
    Uhm, why are you still playing the game? You say you'll be cancelling AGAIN. What made you come back? Surely not only the 'funfactor'?

Oh, and is it really that hard to behave in a civil manner? Even those who are angry about the patch aren't as nasty as you are...

Groe up a bit please...

hehe DAOC wont be getting my vote i rather go back to evercrack at least its not as boring as DAOC .

On 2nd thought sod evercrack I have a life and dont get bothered about things like this .
    So what my lvl 43 enf wont be able to get full use of the QL200 hammer ill be able to get on at lvl 60.

Im doing enough damage now with the QL125 one i have.

4 words for eveyone

ITS JUST A GAME

Oh btw i enjoy flames so go ahead and hit me and bring on the OE patch ill love it.
    muftak

Proud member of Redemption

Re: Re: Re: Why shouldnt players be able to....

Originally posted by Halbundy
    Overequipping requires no skill ?....Bah, then why cant everyone do it ? Do YOU know how to get LEGALLY get 930 treatment skill from a base of 574 treatment ? Do YOU know what combination of stepping implants it takes to get in lvl 195 implants at lvl 130 ?? If you DON'T then you arent as skilled as the guy that does. 70% missions? If you're a pet using class, all you have to do is learn how to single pull.
    I play a crat and an MP and have since launch. I can single pull 90% of the time. You think I could do 70% without overequipping without learning that skill?

You confuse knowledge with skill. Anyone can learn the knowledge you talk about. In fact, I'll show you how easy it is to teach:

Treatment 574
    + Expertise 20
    + Shop 100
    + Buff 80
    + Suit 84
    + Implants 72
    -----

And that is using low implants! I would hope you understand that you can use much better surgery implants than that and get much higher than 930 legally!

I could teach that to someone who has never played the freaking game and you think it is an important, rare skill? That is about as difficult as overequipping gets...

Scorus

Not many Crats posting on this thread... I think I know why.

As a lvl 91 Crat I don't think this 14.2 patch will really affect me as bad as it will other Prof's.

My equipment:
    - I wear the Cyborg Armor (ql 77) for the NCUs it provides - AC isn't all that important as I don't get hit frequently.

- I use a ql 40ish SA Home Defender just so I don't hit very fast if something aggros me (after mezzing, etc.).

- I use the Nuke and Mezz more than any weapon anyway. I always charm the best blood red mob i can find.

- Sure, I will end up using a drk orange pet (about ql 110-115) after this patch goes in. Really, the Crat pets are pretty lousy when I can charm a ql 125-130 mob pet that has better AC/Buffs and 4x HPs.

When SOLOing, I've found that the Mob pets are so effective that sometimes I won't create the bot pet. Why bother?! Don't get me wrong. The bot pets are useful, but aren't of the caliber of the Mob charmed pets. Hands down, the mob pets rock. The OE cap doesn't affect my ability to run the current charm(s) either, but could be an annoyance when I decide to run around with Mocham's BM/PM/SI to do the next long term charm... still, the short duration of the charms at that level (about 11min) makes it a moot point.

When SOLOing, I do like gettin Mocham's though, and usually can get through a hard mission in an hour or hour and half. I suppose I would just use the big bot pet with a charm pet until Mocham's wears off and then downgrade to the best bot pet I can do on my own and still have the insanely powerful mob pet too.

So, at level 91, I can (and do) solo ql120-130 missions (about 80% hard) - either fighting or mezzing, depending on how I feel - without a lot of trouble.

If I am on a team that I am not leading, I usually just chain-mezz and attack with the bot pet. I won't charm a mob unless the team is cool with it (some people have a strange aversion to using a great mob pet ... go figure).

Perhaps this "correction" patch will help Crats to fulfill their role as "crowd controller" and make them valuable to teams who are reeling from the OE nerfs. If a Crat can solo an 80%+ mission, then a team can easily get through missions of equivalent or higher level.

So, if anyone needs assistance with a hard mission run - I'll be happy to assist if I can - just send Bravvo a tell (RK1/Clan).

Unfortunately, the 14.2 "OE Nerf Patch" (as it will come to be known) does mean that my mid-to-high-level Soldier, Agent, and MA could be rendered fairly whimpy unless the AO team drops the AC/HP of the mobs to a reasonable amount and raises the exp value of yellow/orange ones.

In these other classes, I've felt a mandatory need to OE as much as possible just to be able to fight monsters WORTH killing. When you need 800k-1.2mill exp, 2-4k exp per mob is pretty funny (in a bad sense).

=============
    Notes:

- I expect a lot of folks who enjoy the game in its current model will drop out. It is a major shift in the fundamental foundation of how people interact with and build their characters in the game. People are allergic to change. Especially the kind that alters key aspects of something they have come to enjoy a great deal.

- The IP-R sounds good on paper... but you guys don't have a very good track record with fundamental changes in the game. Something always breaks in a freaky way. Hehe - maybe Yalmahas will suddenly be "water only" vehicles when you activate them with a bronto burger in your hand!

- As a player of almost every class in the game (several not listed here), I want to encourage the dev team to build a balanced, enjoyable game. In many ways, AO has arrived. In others... well... keep going.

Yet, you need to realize that your gaming community has gotten "trained" to play the game a certain way. Introducing this kind of shift incorrectly could further sully your reputation with gamers and your ability to build a long lasting, loyal player base. You may end up "shooting yourself in the foot". That would be unfortunate.

Guess I just wanted to chime in on this thread as it appears to be a patch that may end up being a noose around AO's proverbial neck ... and I don't wanna see that.

~Bravvo~

Mobs

Ok here's my thing on this.
    I'm lvl47, I have a QL70 nova flow, I have up to date armor (not over equipped).
    I can HARDLY kill a yellow in most missions, if it's an orange (one level above me on the POD) I'm almost always screwed and have to run out of the mission.

So... if your going to take out overequipping, what are you going to do about mobs?

Mobs have more HP and some hit a LOT harder and faster.
    BTW havn't seen ANY difference since the supposed AC reduction, don't do anymore dmg and they don't die quicker.

My view

After reading first Gaute's message THOROUGHLY.. and then reading 18 pages of comments, I have some facts for you all to consider, before I state my opinion on the now infamous 14.2 suggested patch:

- The vast majority of people posting in this thread did NOT read and comprehend Gaute's article. Your arguments prove this, look it up.
    - Because you're better at using a calculator than I am does NOT make you a better player than I.
    - Twinking should NOT be possible in a game such as AO
    - More equipment with more skill bonuses will be possible due to this change (I once again refer to Gaute's article)
    - You can still overequip (as many intelligent people before me have stated), just not to the extent you're used to.
    - Chances are, noone will read this very line, yet some will still comment on everything in my post
    - If not levelling once a day, means you quit, then please... quit. Instant gratification is not offered on the box.
    - Taking away your ability to solo reds may be a nerf, but it's a return to the original values.
    - The fact that you have a "sugardaddy" character with millions to twink a new character with, should not make your other characters more powerful.
    - Traders will not be all powerful, no matter what you think..
    - after 18 pages not ONE line I read (granted, I may have missed one), stated the obvious, namely that ALL CLASSES CAN DEPRIVE SKILLS.... if you believe I am wrong, please remember the general nano's

To all the people who will flame me: don't bother. Unlike some of you, I understand that a thread such as this is used to offer up your opinion once, not to post opinions on opinions on opinions of other posters. So post your sentiments on the original article once, then be quiet, and let's make sure the patch is implemented as good as possible.

So... I am looking forward to this patch and the potential it brings to the game. I hope and believe it will bring AO back to the original vision.
    I also know that I am in no position to say whether or not this will work, but I have an indication it will, and I look forward to finding out.

/NetSapiens

Originally posted by Whakka
    Not many Crats posting on this thread... I think I know why.

As a lvl 91 Crat I don't think this 14.2 patch will really affect me as bad as it will other Prof's.

My equipment:
    - I wear the Cyborg Armor (ql 77) for the NCUs it provides - AC isn't all that important as I don't get hit frequently.

- I use a ql 40ish SA Home Defender just so I don't hit very fast if something aggros me (after mezzing, etc.).

- I use the Nuke and Mezz more than any weapon anyway. I always charm the best blood red mob i can find.

- Sure, I will end up using a drk orange pet (about ql 110-115) after this patch goes in. Really, the Crat pets are pretty lousy when I can charm a ql 125-130 mob pet that has better AC/Buffs and 4x HPs.
    Extremely good point
    Traders are Kings, they are the ultimate in self-buffing and no one can change it :P

interger

Originally posted by Forth
    oh yeah, and wouldn't it have been easier to write the equation for overquipping like this:

(buffed stats) <= (0.8)*(required stats)

?

/nitpicking off

hehe, good point,, with how sluggish this game runs, i wouldn't be surprized if they had miles of code badly written,, for example. using divides, instead of Multiplies. stuff like that.
    it takes a computer something like 10 times longer to do division then multiplication, the proper way to do it would be to use interger math and go
    ((buff stats)*10)<=(8*(required stats*10)

gets rid of the division required on floating point ie (0.8)
    ------------------------------------------
    "I do Not believe in these spooky actions at a distance"
    Albert Einstein

Coin Toss

/me waxes sarcastic
    Can't wait for this patch! Maybe we can even have a feature where you can roll, right out of the box, a Lvl 200 character. This patch doesn't address the over-levelers.

There are some people who level all the time. What about them? I want a Lvl 200 character too. Let's balance everything.

I want a great character with no effort. Is that so bad?

/me looks forward to Level Balance.

Re: My view

Originally posted by NetSapiens
    After reading first Gaute's message THOROUGHLY.. and then reading 18 pages of comments, I have some facts for you all to consider, before I state my opinion on the now infamous 14.2 suggested patch:

- The vast majority of people posting in this thread did NOT read and comprehend Gaute's article. Your arguments prove this, look it up.
    - Because you're better at using a calculator than I am does NOT make you a better player than I.
    - Twinking should NOT be possible in a game such as AO
    - More equipment with more skill bonuses will be possible due to this change (I once again refer to Gaute's article)
    - You can still overequip (as many intelligent people before me have stated), just not to the extent you're used to.
    - Chances are, noone will read this very line, yet some will still comment on everything in my post
    - If not levelling once a day, means you quit, then please... quit. Instant gratification is not offered on the box.
    - Taking away your ability to solo reds may be a nerf, but it's a return to the original values.
    - The fact that you have a "sugardaddy" character with millions to twink a new character with, should not make your other characters more powerful.
    - Traders will not be all powerful, no matter what you think..
    - after 18 pages not ONE line I read (granted, I may have missed one), stated the obvious, namely that ALL CLASSES CAN DEPRIVE SKILLS.... if you believe I am wrong, please remember the general nano's

To all the people who will flame me: don't bother. Unlike some of you, I understand that a thread such as this is used to offer up your opinion once, not to post opinions on opinions on opinions of other posters. So post your sentiments on the original article once, then be quiet, and let's make sure the patch is implemented as good as possible.

So... I am looking forward to this patch and the potential it brings to the game. I hope and believe it will bring AO back to the original vision.
    I also know that I am in no position to say whether or not this will work, but I have an indication it will, and I look forward to finding out.

/NetSapiens
    And points they are, but one thing
    Only traders (or agents assuming the class) get extra points from deprive/ransack and I wouldn't mind the patch half as much if they agreed to do something on the time the nanos last (10 mins instead of 3?) the player is only going to re-deprive/ransack the other player so it's not like it gives the trader an advantage if it lasts longer

it's a multiplayer game...

Originally posted by Munti

this is gonna be fun, when i'm done with half my mission i need to run to town and get a new buff

Hum...what about teaming up with a trader or MP to go on the mission WITH you?!?!

Re: it's a multiplayer game...

Originally posted by Halcyinv2

Hum...what about teaming up with a trader or MP to go on the mission WITH you?!?!
    Can't speak for MP's but a trader has to rebuff the wrangle every 3 mins, that makes us useless on OE and giving pets :/

Re: it's a multiplayer game...

Originally posted by Halcyinv2

Plus they have better things to do than helping you get ur pet or weapon on.

Red face Re: Re: My view

Originally posted by Gokudan

And points they are, but one thing
    Only traders (or agents assuming the class) get extra points from deprive/ransack and I wouldn't mind the patch half as much if they agreed to do something on the time the nanos last (10 mins instead of 3?) the player is only going to re-deprive/ransack the other player so it's not like it gives the trader an advantage if it lasts longer
    And to quote myself, lol

I can use deprive/ransack stacked up to get 102 points extra on weapons and nano skills at lvl 38 (or since lvl 37 )

????

whats the one and only proff that needs no OE ...

no other proff based buffs...

no weapons ....

and was fixed a few days ago ??

this class will be ruling this game after 14.2 goes live
    believe me
    give yourself a few secs and think of it!!!!!!

Page 19 of 90 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373869 ... LastLast