Thread: Insanity Holds Many Secrets

Insanity Holds Many Secrets

*You open the file which seems to be a passage out of a book. Published by someone unknown and you read on*

For a year and a half my punishment, life, and salvation has been to walk the desert. Trying to find inner peace and mind has been a difficult task in this world of anarchy. I try to reflect on my past and at the same time, forget it ever happened. Like so many other lives it seems the past has caught up to the present and begins to test my future. I am Augustus “Nosferakus” Barchus and this is a story of a troubled old friend. A man with a vibrant imagination or many secrets he can barely keep from ravaging his mind. So I returned to the civilized towns and outposts of Rubi-Ka, in search of a lost soul.

When I entered the city of Tir for the first time since I left on my journey, my heart dropped to the ground. The Council of Truth gone, Sentinels controlling Tir and thus the Clans themselves, and a feeling of almost complete dictatorship. I was beginning to think my old friend had been “terminated” soon as he was part of the CoT bureaucracy, an investigator and law maker of sorts. It didn’t take long to understand what happened in the last year, however I was thought to be completely insane when I asked about old affairs. Walking the desert for a year and some months to find inner peace, never goes well with bar patrons if anyone for that matter.

It was in the surrounding area of Borealis however when I met someone who knew about my friend Chancellor Grieve. This man named “Haimos” was an unusual character; an old atrox who worked at a travel agency in Newland. He was being harassed by some mutants when I saw him from the bottom of Azure Lake, so as every generous Martial Artist with free time would do, I assisted an elder with mutants that were about to rip him a part. The cries “Help! Help!” soon turned into words of thanks and debt. All I could charge the old man for was for some of his time. Reets Retreat; a dance club and hotel that opened soon before I left for the desert, is where we ended up for drinks.

We chatted until Haimos mentioned something about a chubby, nanomage, Clan bureaucrat getting into more trouble than it was worth. This chubby bureaucrat description caught me off guard, “Could he be talking about Chancellor Grieve?” I asked myself. It seems as if my old friend had been involved with criminals, conspiracies, and cults while investigating Dust Brigade starting a year ago. Grieve’s past had been one of lunacy and mystery stretching back way before my time and many others. Being involved with cults could awaken this insanity, especially with the stress he must have gone through investigating all these now obsolete cases. It was rumored that this “Gabro” (which could be Grieve’s nickname) was “possessed” by the very cult he was investigating, turning on friends and family a like.

This was short lived because the cult fell soon after the termination of its leaders began and the people who once followed blindly had been “freed”, yet were never quite the same again. In Gabro’s case it seems as if he has turned into the man he once was. Clinging to reality battling an evil version of himself, caused by his madness. After much discussion with Haimos he gave me a location of this Gabro’s apartment in the common run down Borealis ghetto which you find in Neutral cities on Rubi-Ka. Parting ways with Haimos, I headed to the location to see if by any chance, this Gabro who could be Chancellor Grieve was in his apartment.

Treading lightly through the wet, cold backyards of Borealis I found the apartment number with a sign “Fair Trade” next to it. After entering the apartment complex the outdoor ghetto soon turned into nice apartments, better than any Clan apartment I had seen. The door to this apartment was slightly open and from this point on there was no looking back. Ever so quietly I sneaked up to the door of Gabro’s apartment when “BAM!”, the door swung open knocking me down with the same force an Enforcer swings a 2handed weapon. A Director-Grade Bodyguard was waiting and Chancellor Grieve looking stronger than ever before was behind it. His face was stone, twisted with no emotion, just pure madness when he uttered words he thought would be my last:

“Ha! Another one of Gabro’s friends how nice. Your luck just ran out by coming here...you just made my job much easier. The portal is opening and none of you are ready, what a complete waste of space!”.

What I feared had now been true, once again Gabro had slipped into madness taking on two personalities just like before when I saved his life in the desert some 10 years ago. His hands began to glow with incredible yellow light when all of a sudden I was down. It seemed as if he overestimated his powerful nano program and left me for dead. This time curiosity “almost” killed the cat and it was time to take a look around the apartment when I awoke from my beauty sleep. I found a check list with my name and many others crossed out. The last name on the torn list was someone I didn’t know like most of the other names. Jamar “Greenie01" Waddles with a location Reets Retreat next to it was the only name not crossed out. Showing up at parties seemed to be my best bet at warning Greenie01 to stay clear of Gabro but somehow I needed to break the news he might be on a hit list with out making him panic.

Two weeks went by when I finally came into contact with Greenie01. He showed up in the Glass Dance Floor of Reets Retreat during a party and didn’t look like the type to panic. I told him to watch out for Grieve he has “issues” and don’t press the wrong buttons. I thought my job was done and could return back to my journey however just as I entered the gates of Tir who other than Chancellor “Gabro” Grieve ran by heading directly for the Tir wompas. I followed him into Newland only to be pummeled by Mercs and Gabro slipped through the borealis wompa, not noticing who I was because of the beating I was handed. I knew now that Gabro was after Greenie01 and I was sent to Mort reclaim where I last insured myself.

Rushing to Hope wompas because I didn't have the skill to hack into grid, I had the disadvantage of time now and whatever Gabro was about to do was probably already done by the time I reached the small run down outpost. Arriving in Reets I saw no Gabro and no Greenie01 yet everyone else was still there. I thought I had failed, Gabro was on the loose and who knows where he was heading next and Greenie01 seemed to be missing. Not a minute went by when Greenie01 strolled into Reets stunned by whatever just happened to him.

From the story it seemed he was unsure if Gabro killed him or if he had bad luck with a tainted drink. Either way it seems the Chancellor flipped once more after talking to Greenie01. Now it seemed to be the right time to tell him the history of Gabro and see if something could be done, or if he could personally take care of the situation. There is only one solution which not been attempted...

Looking back on Gabro’s history seemed to come up with two conclusions about this madness. One being more realistic than the other and he is completely insane, or something more mysterious is causing his actions from the dark, shadowed areas of Rubi-Ka which breed tales of unimaginable proportions . In the end, who says madmen (and women) don’t have secrets?

Passage of Augustus’ Tomb of Knowledge
    June 29, 29477

*File transmission seems to be complete*
    Gabro ,
    A Member of Lost Chapter
    Level 200 Bureaucrat RK1

Greenie01 tapped off the display on the desk and swivelled around on his chair to face a bank of surveillance monitors. He wasn’t looking in too much detail to them, been here for a whole day with still no sign of Gabro.

"It don’t make any flippin sense?" He mumbled to himself, whilst rubbing has chin with his index finger. He thought back to a while when he had just landed at Omni-Trade; was confused by the flora and fauna, the ‘culture’ clash. The people here were so alien to him as he was to them, he even spoke the same language as most, though even that was like trying to understand a Yuttos. Never the less, he had to make contacts if he was ever to get the bigger jobs.

So that was why he agreed on doing a job for a group of people he wouldn’t have bothered with before arriving here. They were a dark and strange bunch, gothic in apparel, and had an air of danger and mysticism surrounding them. They gave him the creeps, but their credit was good. Gabro had hired him to do Omni-Tek a favour, although he didn’t see it that way, seemed something personal with the target to be reclaimed to some location they set up. Anyway he didn’t care, after all the mark was ‘the enemy’ that’s how he excused it even though he was not at all interested in the politics, only when it covered his back of course. The mark was a criminal they said, a thorn in Omni-Pol’s side a chap by the name of Diamondcut Dave Duster. So he took the job, even though he knew he should get back to them, after doing his research on Diamondcut. But he needed to be noticed with his kind of people, maybe even take over Diamondcuts business?

When he was close to carrying out the agreement, for some reason Gabro had called it off - but Greenie still got his cash for it. Contract cancelled, finished and end of story. He was kind of glad, as he was beginning to read in the news that these group of Yixxil worshipers were causing quite a stir in the World, with so called ‘abilities’ that went beyond know metaphysical sciences.

Thinking back to the present, he thought about Diamondcut, before his disappearance; he was even becoming to like the ‘Geezer’, and was even working for him on a spying job along side his other contracts of ‘supply and demand’. But now he was troubled, he hated how life it seemed would never stop once at snapping at his heels? Happy that he finally was beginning to feel ‘all that silly lovin rubbish’ as he called it, but scared for the lady he cared for - he was glad that at least it was early days; that should he ‘disappear’ she’d not be as hurt then if by some miracle, she fell for him later.

He was scared, and as he thought of the man that had killed him a couple of nights before, he rubbed at his neck to where a single searing touch of his hand had spread some toxin throughout his system and he shook his head to snap out of it. "Dont ya flop, drop, get rot, flippin all hot, get up ta trot!" He got up rapping out loud to himself, he did this often to try to calm his nerves. He sat down again going over what this man, Nosferakus warned and explained to him after the encounter with Gabro.

"I would bet it was him.. Grieve was Created in Omni-Med, April 07 29212. As you know...that's 265 years ago. his story goes way back..." Greenie had remembered the stiff posture, and the way he talked smoothly without showing much emotion.

"Wot that far?.. No flippin way mate?"

"He was meant to fight and lead a regiment in the first civil war.. He turned against Omni...and was punished soon after Clans were pushed back... They put him in ‘deep freeze’, now for most of his life he’s been an Ice cube.. I took him in for a while, trying to get him up to speed on things... it went pretty good, He actually got a job with CoT for a bit, he even became worthy of joining my former guild, until those cultist came about..." Greenie fast forwarded his aching mind still searching. "Now he’s beginning to act like his old self. I’m not sure if it all began with the Ice Cube or what he was built for.."

"Right Well ta be honest.... you sound insane ta me like, explains a lot about you lot, an ya weird and barmy ways." Greenie cursed himself for drinking that night to ease off the memory of Gabro.

"Well this world is insane… something is going down on this planet... Ever since those cultist he’s been talking about the end of the word and portals...weird cultist stuff." Greenie remembered rolling his eyes up to the ceiling at that point, as if to mock further. But agreeing that ‘Yea somink even weirder is goin on ere’, and the news that had been on for the last few Months didn’t help to discount the mystery of late. To humour the man’s thoughts, he had said, "Yea so I hear.. All like smoke in the shadows like, ya can smell it in der air. But ya cant see it unless yer a chimney sweep, heh." He then decided against humouring him, "Bloody codswallop if ya ask me really. Soz, but its just a load o tosh mefinks." Nosferakus didn’t seem offended at all, not the result Greenie had expected.

"Its a crazy story, but what we do know is that Grieve...aka Gabro is insane now, and maybe after you in some fashion at least."

"But if dat’s right, ven why am I ere now? Was it just ta make a point? Or Wot?" Greenie remembered that most of all, that was the something that didn’t make sense, if he wanted to tie up a ‘loose end’ then why was he still alive?

"I don’t honestly know… He needs to be...dealt with... I was thinking termination...problem I see is that everyone keeps him alive, including me.." the man he recalled was looking to him, and that meant that somehow maybe he was obliged. "Do what you think is right, hell maybe all he needs is a good shrink? But remember this, he has abnormal abilities… He gets into minds like a Hacker gets into a computer... He also has old CoT access to official equipment.."

Remembering wasn’t helping his situation, but he did have his contact and part time friend Zack (Eternalforce) to reluctantly help out. But still this World amazed him some times, Gabro still had access to the Council of Truth’s equipment that was left behind. The stupidity of it all! Greenie shook his head but thought, ‘Hmm be good ta ave all that CoT stuff when Gabro’s gone’.

He thought back to his lady, he felt some guilt, for she didn’t know what he did to get the ‘bread’ (credits) in. Only Zack out of the ring of non-criminal types knew what he did, and that soon maybe she would start to notice, and start to ask questions about the ‘loveable Mr. Waddles’ life. And he remembered Zack’s anger and the words… ‘This is the last time, then I do not want to know you anymore!’, and from an earlier time, ‘Its still not too late to get yourself out of this lifestyle’. Greenie balked at the memories. "Flippin bent Copper… What does he know anyway? Bloody Prat!" HE sat back down and could see his face staring back at him on the screen - a blur.

Gabro had violated him; like his father used to beat him physically, but this was a scar that was hidden inside. He’d have to get this scar removed, to help to remove Gabro, for good. But he knew that he would possibly die trying, he rubbed his neck once again, absent mindedly.
    Last edited by SinisterCake; Jul 1st, 2003 at 21:03:37.

A Former Master's Aide

*This attachment seems to be from the same source as the passage out of a “Augustus’ Tomb of Knowledge”. Again an unknown Publisher, there must be some type of bug on this journal*

I returned to my former dwelling, a hut in Newland Desert. Now surrounded with Rhinomen, it was however untouched except a few worthless pieces of furniture. There I found my master’s Tomb of Knowledge where I left it...with his buried body, the formal burial with only the journal which holds their story of my ancestors. His Knowledge was great and one of few who found inner peace and mind. I finally found what I was looking for in a passage of “possession”:

“To cure one of tainted heart and soul, one must find its weakness and exploit it. When it comes to possession one must find the one who could not be possessed and exploit their abnormal yet blessed gift.”

My master had aided me once more and when I looked up I saw a empty Aid kit which was not there before..as if it appeared before my eyes. A symbol of the green dragon was engraved in this item. I knew what needed to be done and returned once more to the towns of Rubi-Ka...

Augustus’ Tomb of Knowledge
    July 1st, 29477

*End of attachment file*
    Gabro ,
    A Member of Lost Chapter
    Level 200 Bureaucrat RK1

Insanity is just a state of mind.
    Ike "Fikksit" Schatz - General of Desert Winds
    Sleep is for the weak

He had realised that looking for Gabro on the security camera feeds was not panning out to what he had hoped. He’d have to change tactics, and play the fool that people thought he was; Greenie didnt mind, in fact it was his plan for people to see him like that.

‘Yea play da piper’, he nodded to himself - he would be the bait, no other way to track a man with CoT clearance. If Nosferakus was right, Gabro would come to him. Then Greenie would blast em, with his ace in the hand that was Zack (Eternalforce). Of course being the bait was a worrying thought, but the 1000 creds a day and 2 Million on completion, was enough to numb those thoughts for long enough periods to think rationally.

So that night, he hung out as usual at Rompas then later on to Reets, met up with a few old faces and more importantly his ‘Petal’. As the night wore on there was no sight of his target; he tried not to let his unease show, and it seemed to be working. The next day, he had a big order of weaponry to make and distribute, so it took up most of the day flying from one place to the next.

He was actually glad to being the bait once more after all the hassle’s of the day. He hadn’t heard from his lady, presumed she wouldn’t be at Reets Retreat Night club, a good thing she wasn’t - he didn’t want to risk her getting hurt like he did a couple of nights ago. He buzzed Zack who sounded as though he’d had a bad day, Greenie knew that regardless the ‘tyke’ was dependable and would be there.

He entered through the Yalm dock in Reets, as soon as he started walking in, the air itself seemed colder suddenly, even when he was in the corridor a strong draft blew in that made the hair raise up on the back of his neck. He carried on down the corridor, gripped the Manex he had slung on his back, ready to draw it out with a burst of fire. His vision blurred and he felt faint, realising he hadn’t eaten in a while causing the faintness, he stopped to draw in some breath. His communication unit buzzed, it was his lady, and she was here in Reets with her friend. ‘Let’s hope vat tonight’s not da night’ Greenie thought to himself as he made his way towards her near the bar in the glass dance floor.

By this time the DJ was already playing his tracks, and a fair few regulars were there Zack noticed as he walked onto the floor with his usual combat attire. Zack saw Greenie there with his new lady friend, amazed that such a nice lady was interested in the guy; felt kind of sorry for her on Greenie’s behalf.
    After the usual introductions and cheap talk, Nosferakus arrived and nodded to the unlikely duo and walked to the couch’s at the other end of the floor. Greenie made his excuses and they both followed Nosferakus to the table and sat down.

It was only then he realised that he hadn’t been totally straight with Zack about Gabro, that now he’d find out. Nosferakus was looking the same, unequivocal, but Greenie felt as though it was news, probably bad, maybe good?

"So what’s da deal" Zack said as he casually leaned on the table.

"OK since I left for my journey something has been bothering me" replied Nosferakus, not really looking bothered at all.

"And wot’s that?" Greenie mused.

"The fact that I said you could kill Gabro has been eating away at my soul, so I found another solution..."

"Aw, and I was all ready for a slaughtering too" Zack pouted sarcastically.

"Better be a good one like… OK, Lets Ave it" Greenie stated. Nosferakus placed an empty stim vial on the table which both Zack and Greenie stared at for a second. then to each other with a ‘and?’ look then back to Nosferakus.

"You may still need to kill him, just not permanently. Greenie, please take a sample of your blood" Nosferakus nodded to the empty stim vial.

"OK, so wot’s dat gonna achieve?", Zack was staring at Nosferakus now, not sure what was going on and not entirely trusting.

"Just do it Greenie" Nosferakus said.

"What good is blood gonna do? I thought we were trying to remove it, not give him more", Zack looked su****iously now at Nosferakus, who raised an eyebrow to him.

"OK, I’m not sure exactly... I found this after reading my masters tome of Knowledge.." Indicates the vial, "he had a passage on ‘possession’, After reading it this empty vial appeared."

"Gee, what a coincidence!" said Zack as he rolled his eyes. It was obvious that this seemed ridiculous as it did to Greenie once, before he came face to face with Gabro that is.

Nosferakus turned his attention to Greenie, "You survived the ‘touch’ of possession that a man name Haimos told me about".

"Who’s this geeza Naimos and wot did he say?" Greenie was still unsure about giving his blood, for a very good reason; he had some slight mutations due to a type of radio active isotope that existed in his unusual birth place, the reason he had natural green hair. Only a few people knew this, unfortunately Zack was one of them.

"That I need your blood in that aide kit to offset whatever is ‘in’ Gabro. What is it going to hurt Greenie? Please...ill pay you more" Greenie nodded, what he couldn’t make sense of suddenly ‘clicked’, he’d have to trust him. The facts were too vivid, it was true he was not ‘turned’ or ‘possessed’ like others that were touched by the Yixxil cultists hands.

Greenie eventually agreed to have the sample taken and let Nosferakus do the task. Nosferakus set the sample of blood down on the table, and they watched as the blood changed slowly in colour to blue. Greenie knew the significance of this, his blood was in fact special somehow; wondered briefly if he was able to make a business out of it with out Omni-Med finding out; if there was a use for it.

"If I understand my Master's words...you are the ‘anti-agent’ to Gabro's Madness" he mumbled "Green Dragon", to himself and smiled slightly.

"I been called a lot o tings… But vats a new one mate."

Zack looked to Greenie, "anti-intelligence is what Greenie is." Greenie looked back to him and frowned, "Shut it youz."

Greenie and Zack explained the mutation as quietly as they could to Nosferakus, who then realised that there was science fact behind the spiritual explanation, then mumbling a passage about an abnormal yet blessed gift. He then said with some satisfaction etched on his face, "It is true then it seems...this might actually work.."

"And if it doesn't, Plan B is ready to go", Zack patted his Novaflow.

"I would join you but once Gabro sees me he will probably kill all of us." Nosferakus rose to his feet, "good luck to you two, may inner peace lead your way." He looked uncomfortable then as he walked away, as if he felt what Greenie had when he entered Reets. Nosferakus left the two to a row that had started up between them. The usual insults that they threw at each other at times of crisis. And as usual the argument ended abruptly with;

"Right vats it, I’m gonna go get a drink" Greenie mumbled as he wandered of to the bar.

"Bring me something too, you still owe me a beer." Zack shouted.

Just as Greenie had ordered the drinks then a call came through to the duo - "My God, here he comes! Gabro is at Reets…" The comms cut off.

In the crowd and the dark, one figure could be seen ploughing to the centre in full battle gear, the other by the bar was climbing to get to the ledge above it to get a better view…

Inner Peace, Outer Desert

*Another passage from Nosferakus*

I return to the desert once more knowing I did the right thing. An insane mind pacified, a gift uncovered, and maybe secrets revealed. A rather dominant entity inside my friend the Chancellor has died. All the entity knew Gabro will have forgotten, if he survived of course. Whether this entity has been completely removed is questionable however...Time will tell.

Another step towards inner peace and mind has been accomplished and now I follow in my Master’s footsteps. For an unknown about of time I will not write, until I have found my way. The new era will b...

*Seems Nosferakus found the bug, or something much worse*

((OOC: The related part to this storyline following after these events can be found at this link: http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...hreadid=152374 ))
    Gabro ,
    A Member of Lost Chapter
    Level 200 Bureaucrat RK1