Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conflict uniting the neutral population?

Independent Reporters of Rubi-Ka Editor: IRRK's Avatar

Post Conflict uniting the neutral population?

Should neutrals be rewarded for completing assignments, for clearing out critter-overpopulated areas, for valour and faithfulness? The Omni-Tek affiliated company Rubi-Ka Universal Robots and a consortium of neutral organizations are researching a tokenboard for neutral use only.

Whilst the neutral population are generally positive to this study and its potential, there are those who are against it. Reporter May Wong from Independent Reporters of Rubi-Ka investigated the rumour that this research splits the neutrals on this planet we call home.

Chi 'Aazamon' Fadri, president of The Nanomage Liberation Front, admits that hot debates within the neutral community exist over this issue and that even more will follow. “We would be forced to join sides after being ostracised by the clans and Omni-Tek” says Ike 'Maeltroll' Locknane, who is fervently against the tokenboards. “Right now we are just barely tolerated, because we are weaker. If we had the same level of power as the omni and clan population, we would be considered a threat.”

However, neutrals constantly gets patronized for the choice not to take part in the conflict on Rubi-Ka, and have been looked down on by both strong clans and well-heeled Omni-Tek departments over this issue. Other parts of the two conflicting factions support us.

There are many sides to this discussion, but one thing remains.

No doubt the debates will go on, but in the midst of fights, we still remain joint together, even if it means we will be a step behind when it comes to skill. Tokenboards may come and they may not, but for the people whose preference it is to stay outside the conflict, the freedom of choice and independence unites us more than any hi-tech gadget would ever do.

We at Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR) are aware that opinion among neutral is divided on this issue. We would like to reassure all neutral citizens, as we did at the initial press conference regarding neutral Token Board Technology (TBT), that the choice of equipping the token board and uploading tokens will not be removed from the individual. If you do not wish to wear a token board, you can choose not too. However, the point is that at present neutral do not have this choice and those who would like a token board cannot get one without changing side.

I think most people will agree that there is a big difference between saying 'I do not want to wear a token board' and saying ' And I don't want my next door neighbour wearing a token board either'. I will leave it to the readers to decide for themselves which of the two attitudes more closely reflects the neutral spirit.

Dabblez

Director of RUR
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Quote ::

“Right now we are just barely tolerated, because we are weaker. If we had the same level of power as the omni and clan population, we would be considered a threat.”

Sounds as if this person wishes themself to be a "threat". One cannot plead Neutrality, then contest that they have a lack of "power" on their part... this defeats the very nature of the word Neutral by its definition.

As for Omni-Tek ''tolerating" the Neutral Community, it is well documented that the majority of Omni-Tek Organisations do not launch attacks on Neutral Territory and resources. Those that do, act by their own accord, and not by orders from an authority.

If indeed, a section of the Neutral Community is striving for Power, more power than to defend what is theirs rightfully that is, they are most definately not Neutral by any meaning of the term. Do not hide a face of aggression behind a mask of neutrality, it doesn't fit. To be considered a Threat to either side, one would have to pledge themself to the opposing side. I cannot see someone who voluntarily remains outside of the conflict as a threat, no matter how strong, focused, or good a shot they are.

Division 9 RSGE wishes R.U.R. luck in their search for this Technology, and in the political strife that has stemmed from it.
    *Cuts to the cold static of an ended Grid-feed...*

Division 9 RSGE

*Letter to the Editor: IRRK
    *Re: your article : "Conflict uniting the neutral population?"

Gutless, yellow, clanners.

Too long have these enemies to OTRK hidden behind their veil of neutrality. There are Omni-Tek employees in those missions that they take, and they butcher them like brontos. What argument for this crime? That they kill a few clanners as well? How dare they suggest that even one Onmi life can be "bought" with a few clanner kills?

Give them their boards. Perhaps it will give them the courage to finaly stand up and be held accountable for their actions.

Yours in disgust,
    Bliqz, Agent, Omni, Atlantean, "Iron Chef of Rubi-Ka"
    God is a bullet.

((The IC only RP forum is back. Bliqz is an Omni Extremist, and his posts IN THAT FORUM reflect that attitude. I can be reached by PM if you feel I have personaly offended you, and I will be happy to change/temper my post. Thank you, and have fun!))

Neutrals have made a choice, a choice to let the victors of the war between Clan and Omni-Tek decide their future.

It is common knowledge that Omni-Tek still considers neutrals to be "Omni-Tek citizens and assets" rather than independents. Giving them token boards would just be another way of attaching a leash of dependency on neutrals by Omni-Tek. They only seek tools, mercenaries bought by token boards and other means to turn against the clans. To be discarded when finished like any other disposable corporate product.

To fight for their own freedom would in effect turn them into clans by struggling to be free. Is it a bad thing though to fight for your freedom? Fight for Freedom my brethren of the unaligned cities. Develop token boards without Omni-Tek control over you. Rest assured that you can claim freedom as well as independence. Stand strong and free and the true clans will work together to protect you from both Omni-Tek and the terrorists who try to steal the legitimacy of the Clans.

Sallust, Clan Elder of The Pilgrims
    Clan Elder of The Pilgrims

Sallust,

Please, let's leave petty politics out of this. It may come as a surprise, but not everything is about the Omni-Clan struggle. Some of us are more interested in building things than destroying them.

This is a Neutral project, run and funded by neutral capital. The day it is completed, it will be totally under neutral control. It not an extention of the Omni token board. OTRK will not be able to switch it on and off. There is no secret agenda.

RUR was hired by Elite Operations becasue they believed we were the best people to spearhead this project and becasue we are an independent company. While RUR is an Omni-Tek registered company, we are civillians, not soldiers or politicians. We sell our household robots in Omni, Neutral and Clan territories without discriminating. We have worked in partnership on civil engineering projects with Unity of the Rose and the Tir School of Engineering.

I hope this will reassure you.

Regards,

Dabblez,

Director of RUR.

Would be something to see a Neutral borad, but i think youll see drops in manpower for both dirty nasty clanners and the precious citizens of Omni-Tek.
    Bushido is the way of the warrior. Nirvana is the path of true enlightenment. NTs must struggle to confine themselves as Warriors in this world,while still maintaining the path of wisdom.
    Chrioset-195/7 Nanomage/NT
    Duesentas-199/8 Atrox/Enfo
    Iloveshiz-131/0 Solitus/Fixer (no GA twinkage)
    Chriosat-88/0 Nanomage/Trader (wannabe Tradeskiller)
    Gualo - 155/2 Nanomage/Engy (the Real TSer)
    FUN COM, Please Make NT's the top Damge Dealers Again!!!!!!
    AO Mainframe-Click here - Down indefinitly
    Auno-Click here

Unhappy

Greetings all!

My choice to stay neutral in the conflict enveloping Rubi-Ka was a philosophical one and not made with a desire to join a particular power base. My organization relies implicitly on its neutrality in order to function properly. We offer our services to all residents of Rubi-Ka, regardless of faction, and can only effectively do this if we are not associated with any political faction.

Speaking for myself, the idea of a neutral "cause" or "power base" is meaningless, as staying neutral means staying out of the conflict. Allowing individual neutrals to chose whether or not to use a token board is also meaningless, since the moment one neutral acquires the use of the token boards, ALL of us will be lumped in together whether we use them or not, will be forced into the conflict whether we want to or not - and then, there will be no other options for us. Will a person without a token board be a more neutral Neutral and a person with a token board be a less neutral Neutral? No.

If you wish so strongly to have a token board, then by all means choose a side. But, please, do not drag the rest of us into a conflict that, by choosing neutrality, we chose not to be a part of.

Xarno,

With all due respect I don't quite understand your logic. Ever since I was a child (I grew up in Borealis) I've seen Neutral soldiers armed to the teeth using the same weapons as Clan and Omni-Tek. When deregulation came I was Neutral errect their towers and fight for them with the greatest determination. I don't see how a Neutral run token board system would pull you into the conflict any more than your current mining interests and military presence. Has any party actaully threatened war on the Neutrals if they develop a token board system of theri own?

Neutrals may not wish to take part in the Omni-Clan conflict, I can can understand that, I feel the same way. But Rubi-Ka remains a dangerous world, with cyborgs, wild beasts, mutants, rogue mercenary bands. No one can deny your right to defend your homes.

If you do not want a token board, that is fine (though with increase nano pool you could help in your healing vocation too). But please don't deny this opportunity to those neutral that do want it. Allow everyone individual to make his or her own choices.

Dabblez,

Director of RUR

More whining

Oh common. I've had enough of your constant bickering and whining. You Neutrals can't make up your mind about ANYTHING! We're helping your sorry butts, here. All you do is complain, and we're trying to give you something that would reward you just like everyone else! And what's the thanks we get? More complaining! "Oh, we're neutral, we don't want to choose sides. Blah, blah, blah." Who says you need to choose a side (although you'd be smarter if you did)? So for God's sake...just shut up and take the token board.
    Zack "Eternalforce" Craddock
    Professional soldier of fortune.
    Quote Originally Posted by dustynova
    ahhh Ao where the men are boys the women are men and the leets are very very nervous.

Erm.. Zack, you're not helping.

Dabz

(( Lol! ))

Bliqz ponders a neutral theamed cook book.
    Bliqz, Agent, Omni, Atlantean, "Iron Chef of Rubi-Ka"
    God is a bullet.

((The IC only RP forum is back. Bliqz is an Omni Extremist, and his posts IN THAT FORUM reflect that attitude. I can be reached by PM if you feel I have personaly offended you, and I will be happy to change/temper my post. Thank you, and have fun!))

Surely it is up to the individual if they want to accept tokens from any company. for their work

People from omnitech and the clans should also get this choice if these tokens are offered for services done, assuming the clans and omni heads are not against them using other companies technologies.

What would a company gain from offering it's technology to neutrals and not clans and omni employees for the same services? The only sense is for this technology to be open to anyone.

Destractor, if by "a company" you mean RUR, the reason we are offering this the Neutrals is because we were hired by EO to work in this project. It really is no different from building a bridge or a water purifying plant. We have work on clan civil engineering projects in the past and the day OTRK decides to hire us for a job, we will be happy to consider it. We are engineers, this waht we do and how we make our living. What's so strange about that?

It is not RUR decision as to whether this our new tokens should be available to Clan and Omni-Tek employees too but bear in mind the central nanobot infusion generators needed to power the token boards will be expensive and will have a limited capacity. I doubt very much our clients would be interested in the increased costs and development times just to make a political point.

Regards,

Dabblez
    Director of RUR

So it will only be available to EO members? and presumably EA members?

The specifications we are working to is to provide token board technology (TBT) to all neutral citizens who wish to use it. My understanding is the EO is looking at arranging a consortium of neutral organisations to fund and run this shared facility and that, from their point of view, its a way to give something back to the community. Its not unlike the common practice of large company (EO) sponsoring a schools or park in the city the operate in.

But you may want to talk to EO directly about policy matters.

Dabblez
    Last edited by Savoy; Jul 2nd, 2003 at 00:12:28.

It worries me a little that this would be available to anyone not in the clans or omni tech.

Groups such as the Dust Brigade are not clan nor omni, so potentially you could be providing such technnology to them.

We all know that there are people in both clans and omnitech who are just looking the the oppertunity to crack down on anyone not with them. This might give them some unneeded ammunition against the neutral population. They could clame that people are funding groups such as the Dusters and providing them with technology.

These are people who can come down hard if they think they have some sort of proof.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with tokens, I'll take whatever I can get, but I feel that excluding omni and the clans from this is a bad move.

I doubt there would be many takers from either side, as it seems unlikely RUR can make a board better than the whole tech department of omni tech or the clans. So opening it up to anyone would not have a major effect on production costs.

Destractor,

I think you are too concerned about the military aspects of TBT. What we are moslty looking at improving are skills like computer literacy, nano porgramming and simple run speed. These are all things that have an important role in ordinary, daily life. We'd also like to give the token board some health benefits. While this does have implications for combat, I can hardly see working to improve a community's health as controversial.

But even looking at this from the worse possible angle, if I recall my childhood in Borealis correctly, Omni and Clan alike rarely needed an excuse to use neutral citizens for target practice. Rest assured that, by the same 'token', should powers that be in Tir and Omni HQ decide to, as you say, crack down on the neutrals, they won't stand on ceremony. An excuse will be found regardless, that is just the way of the world.

I sincerely hope it will never come to this, but should one dark day Clan or OTRK decide to make a move against the Neutrals, what you have to ask yourself is, would you not rather have the extra health conferred by a token board?

Dabblez

CarLBanks writes and submits a news article to AO Stratics

This is now on AO Stratics.
    Characters on Atlantean
    Main Character: Ardoyt Former Rubi-Ka Citizen and Former Omni-Admin Employee
    Characters on Rimor
    Deleted
    Anarchy Online Related Stuff
    Former AO Stratics News and "The Community Says" Reporter
    The Death of Ardoyt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast