Thread: The Battle Royale MoK III Champion is....

The Battle Royale MoK III Champion is....

...Messman, 170 Clan Enforcer

http://community.anarchy-online.com/...1/name/messman

Clan guild Eternal Fury showed up in force today and cleared the arena. Once again, we are very pleased with the turnout, but we would like more people....so PLEASE COME NEXT WEEK.

Congratulations to Messman, who has received 1,000,000 credits and is eligible to fight the other Champions on May 19th for a 20 million prize and the title of Master of Mayhem

See www.totalaggression.com for the rules and view the other Champions thus far.

Next week is:

Battle Royale MoK IV
    Sunday, March 17
    8:00 pm GST/ 3:00 pm EST/ 12:00 pm PST

DIE WELL...
    Last edited by Psiraven; Mar 10th, 2002 at 22:50:39.

We cleared the arena with 6 people =)
    phonokol - geremi - dousk - matica [apoc]

woot
    Euphorie 200 Trader RK1
    DrAlban 130+ Doctor RK1

aha

Eternal Fury is one uber ass guild!
    Their lowest member is like umm 135 or something =)

Re: aha

Originally posted by Vandame
    Eternal Fury is one uber ass guild!
    Their lowest member is like umm 135 or something =)
    We have a mascot, she is lvl 137

Rest is 150+
    Azzazzimon

Clan Apocalypse - The guild for models

Account closed.

this battle is dumb (imo), or rather omni is dumb, seems all the clan went in and just killed omni (a few killed clan,but not many) and of course, omni was being dumb and trying to kill everyone
    i am omni and was amazed how dumb this was of us
    think ill switch one of my chars to clan and see how quickly hes able to get a title.

Ummmm...no...this event is not "dumb."

The Battle Royales are actually quite well-executed player run events considering how much time it takes to the plan them, the costs to finance them, the weekly coordination it requires between a dozen or so people and sometimes their guild leadership. And also to set up a webpage and keep it up to date.

It doesnt get much better than the Battle Royale program of the Mercenaries of Kai in terms of player events.

As far as how the Omni players fought each other while the Clan slaughtered them (shrug), there was no central leader among them and noone to rally them. Where were you in all this? Or are you criticizing Omni as a wallflower general? At the next one, why don't you take charge instead of expecting everyone to instinctively act like the Borg.

As far as who wins the arena Clan or Omni it is not my business or that of the referees to take sides in the contest; and they are under guidelines not to influence the outcome.

Psiraven, 181 MP

i was there, with my mp, died twice and killed 3.
    but you dont understand, and thats fine though, i didnt expect you to
    and btw, i said imo, which means in my opinion.
    and, ooh, wow, a mil credits, paleeeze

easy way for clanners to get there titles (they know what i mean, and good for them)

please feel free to flame away, as i dont give any care as what any omni thinks of me

"easy way for clanners to get there titles (they know what i mean, and good for them)"

Its a good way for anybody to get their titles. Week I champion got Rookie and Week II champion got Novice.

I can assure that the members of Clan Eternal Fury have more respect for me and this event than you do.

In anycase, if you are clan, you don't represent them well.

The event program costs far far more than a million. And lots of time. You have no idea.

So, instead of slandering the efforts of people who are trying to make your gaming experience more interesting why don't you try and show a little gratitude.

I'll be honest. I appreciate gratitude. I'd appreciate the gesture from you if you are willing to make it.

But just like you don't care if I flame you. I also don't care if you thank me or not. I didnt create this event for you. I created it for everyone. And its up to you to find any enjoyment out of it.

OK, wy isnt there a 74 and below then?
    Why is it not organized with duels? (I know that wo0uld be hard)
    Maybe you should do it out in CAV or something, The Arena is very small and gets real laggy real quick.
    And, no, I am not clan, aas I have stated before, I think.

I agree that its a good idea, however I dont know if anyone is going to just fight anyone in the arenas, rather they may team up and massacre people of the opposite faction before going after each other.

I might come have a spectate at this one next time
    Don't be lonely anymore.

Look at your post, now back at mine. Now back to your post, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through posts, reading the posts your posts could look like. Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, my reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

"OK, wy isnt there a 74 and below then?
    Why is it not organized with duels? (I know that wo0uld be hard)
    Maybe you should do it out in CAV or something, The Arena is very small and gets real laggy real quick.
    And, no, I am not clan, aas I have stated before, I think."

-------------

Its a complicated question with a complicated answer. Many in our guild asked the same thing. Why isn't there a contest for 74 or under.

EVENT MANAGEMENT 101

This is a long and boring post by the way.

74 AND UNDER CONTESTS

When we in MoK wrote up the rules for Battle Royale, we had the challenge of creating rules that were harmonious with gaming "realities" in AO.

Below 75th level, PvP is too complicated for anything like a battle royale free-for-all. You just don't know who is able to attack who; and so to accomodate "74 and under" you have to create at least 2-4 contests to cover that level span. So this alone would at least triple the work required by the existing volunteers. But there is another issue.

"74 and under" participants would have to protected from griefers who wish to spoil the event. MoK could do it, but we can only ask so much volunteerism from our members before they start growing weary. Not only would an enforcement team have to be in place that could attack griefers at the low-end and high-end of the level range, but the enforcement team itself would be in danger of being attacked by normal participants; with a high chance that our "police" team would end up in the battle royale itself. And also, it would add at least 4-6 volunteers to our weekly requirement.

Even for our 75+ Battle Royale, every week, there are people sitting in the arena beforehand hoping to farm titles. They include 74th level twinks just outside the level range of the contest. The beautiful thing about a 75+ free-for-all is that all the griefers end up dead at the end. By defining the rules in such a way that most everyone is a legitimate contestant, the game tends to police itself.

If you are creating an event in AO it is very important that your rules reflect game realities.

There is another issue. Battle Royale is a 13 week, 3 month long program. Its fairly easy to get volunteers for a stand alone event. The first Battle Royale I had 12 volunteers to referee; the initial excitement will bring them all in. But Week II had 9. Week III had 7. Week IV had 6. Then the routine sets in, the event becomes more mundane and then you start having no-shows for various reasons.

That is another reality to face, apart from AO, and that is you must work with VOLUNTEERS; which is its own challenge to organize and manage especially for an event occuring over a series of weeks. It is why I didnt want to expand our weekly volunteer force from 12 to 18 (by adding a "policing" force).

They are not paid to do this and want to get back to playing the game as soon as possible. They don't want to be at an event which will last all day long; which is what will happen if we did several contests on one day to accomodate 74+ and under.

The rules of Battle Royale are set to require the least amount of people with the least clash with the realities of the game world.

DUELS

The Advisor council in MoK decided that there were too many obvious imbalances between classes to make a credible dueling contest. Also its too time consuming to conduct a series of one-on-one fights. We'd also need a "policing" force capable of defending at whatever levels the participants were fighting at.

For a test, we ran a free-for-all battle within our own guild. The winner at the time was a relatively low level Nano-Technician. What basically happened was that all the high level players killed each other off to the point where the NT could leap in and kill the remaining person.

It was determined that the "fairest" type of PvP contest was indeed a "free-for-all" battle,where the fortunes of battle are unpredictable. Hence, Battle Royale MoK was created. We believe even a 75th level character can win, if they play their cards right in the arena.

MOST importantly though, we wanted a "spectator" event; where a crowd would watch. Crowds want the largest amounts of gun fire and mayhem possible in the shortest amount of time and in the smallest space possible. A series of duels just doesnt have the appeal. The crowd, and even some participants, would probably drift away from boredom.

HOLDING PVP CONTESTS IN CAV

Can't do that. It would be impossible to police this even for the uberest of uber guilds. Not only are the "police" members vulnerable, but also the referees. There are soooo many things that could collapse an event in CAV into complete chaos. And there are no boundaries where you could observe a contest and referee it. The Arena really is the only option.

ARENA LAG

We advise contestants on our website that they should turn their graphics settings looooooow....before entering. Some probably go so far as turn off almost all their graphics effects. If you just want to watch, it doen't matter. If you want to fight, you should turn things down.
    Last edited by Psiraven; Mar 19th, 2002 at 00:02:06.