Thread: Definition: Amnesty (This is to the majority of you who don't understand)

Definition: Amnesty (This is to the majority of you who don't understand)

I'm beginning to get very annoyed with the lot of you who haven't even tried looking up what an amnesty is.

In the case here of Omni-Tek in relating to the rebels...

"Your past activities that could be considered negative toward Omni-Tek or any other government or oganization are forgotten"

This does not mean:

"By accepting, you are admitting to be a criminal"
    "Omni-Tek feels you have sinned. We forgive you"
    "Now you can kill Omni-Tek employees and they can't fire back!"
    "Omni's won't attack you in 0-25% zones!"
    "It's okay to harass or kill Omni-Tek employees!"

You are all mixing up ceasefire and amnesty.

A ceasefire is a period of time where both sides agree to stop attacking one-another.

Once one side attacks (even once) it's over.

Amnesty is not a period of time, it is a set action. Like erasing the hard drive off of your computer, it is an "erasure" of any past negative history (in the eyes of Omni-Tek)

If you killed an Omni-Tek employee before this was declared, and you accept it... you have been "Cleaned" of all negative history.

Any future actions will be punished.

Also keep in mind... this only applies to those clans who switch to Omni-Tek.

So all of you people who use amnesty in very incorrect forms need to realize. Omni-Tek is not allowing you to continue screwing with us. We can forgive you for your past attempts to hurt us, but if you do not accept (or just continue doing it) you will be punished.

There is nothing we as employess of Omni-Tek can do to extend this amnesty. We can be nice to clanners, give them money, talk friendly with them... but we cannot do anything more than "show" them the door to Omni-Tek and their amnesty.

Peace is not a part of amnesty, but just a way for us to show them we would like them to accept this amnesty and join us.

If we all can realize this I feel that almost all of the statements or actions taken by the citizens of Rubi-Ka will change.

The amnesty is just a doorway. We have been asked by Ross to guide rebels down the hall and through this door. As employees of Omni-Tek, we have been ordered to defend Omni-Tek against those that have clearly denounced the Amnesty and continue to do harm to Omni-Tek.

We cannot allow the criminals to go unpunished. Until the switch to Omni (and thus accepting the Amnesty) they are criminals, and will be punished.

I hope this clears things up for most of you. I know many of you needed this to understand what this amnesty really is.

Right on the mark Capt.

Except for one thing:

An amnesty can be for a period. Anyone who refuses to use it in the set timeframe are valid targets once it is revoked.

Use the Amnesty to get your former sins erased or prepare to deal with the consequences.
    Gontrokka 155 Enforcer
    When the going gets tough, the others start running!

Captain Baxie Orbin 204 Trader
    - Baby, you look good enough to eat!

Countezz 23 Adventurer
    - Who'd have thought a Steve Irwin wannabe could kick so much ass!

"Baby, you look good enough to eat!"

What i would like to see from Omn-Tek leadership was a agreement with the neutrals to put up booths that sell Omni-Tek applications so we would be overrun by leeching clanners in our citys not willing to switch sides. The Amnesty suggest that we (Omni-Tek) wishes to delete any unfortunate happenings in the future but will not accept any hostility from clans. Furthermore travelling in our cities with no good intentions.

As a good Omni-Tek employee i take and obey orders from Mr. Ross what confuses me is the willingness to invite clanners with bad intentions into our territory and let then roam free as they like.

This should be stopped.

Clanners not willing to support the Omni-Tek corporation and the following benfits should be hunted down and deported.

We stand with open arms welcoming people that wishes a better life and what do we get. Clanners abusing our good earned servises without paying for them.

BrutalThug
    Member of MOTHER - Mobile Omni-Tek Heavy Emergency Response.

And now for something completly different... the view from the moderate Clans.

Digging the databases I found out "amnesty" defined as:

Amnesty \Am"nes*ty\, n. [L. amnestia, Gr. ?, a forgetting, fr. ?
    forgotten, forgetful; 'a priv. + ? to remember: cf. F.
    amnistie, earlier amnestie. See {Mean}, v.]
    1. Forgetfulness; cessation of remembrance of wrong;
    oblivion.

2. An act of the sovereign power granting oblivion, or a
    general pardon, for a past offense, as to subjects

If Omni-Tek means 1) we accept the "forgetfulness" of what you think we did "wrong" as a first step in a peace process, but forget about the job offer, cause we are not interested.

If Omni-Tek means 2), you are incredible mistaken, sir. You arent any sovereing power that can forgive our "offenses", cause the only sovereing power in Rubi-Ka is the people of Rubi-Ka. You only represent a bunch of rich shareholders of an off-world corporation.

So, as long as you keep your "amnesty", we keep an unilateral
    ceasefire as response. But you better start moving your ass to the negotiation table and start a peace process, cause if you are thinking we will all "join" Omni-Tek, you are surely deluded. And if you want to have a timeout on the amnesty and then deport the ones that dont accept to become your slaves, be ready. We are not going to leave. They used to said it was foolish to rebel against against a megacorporation, and now we hold half the planet. You arent going to get rid of us.

And about harrassing... we clanners believe in freedom of speech. You are free to go wherever you want and tell us how much fun we will have if we just go to Omni-1 and surrender;
    we are free to catch you saying that and telling you the truth,
    and other things. Like take your job and ....

P.D A more obscure reference in the databases pointed to a satirical piece called "The Devil Dictionary", where amnesty is defined as:

AMNESTY, n. The state's magnanimity to those offenders whom it would be too expensive to punish.

Breogan of the Eye of the Nexus Clan

*sigh*

I knew someone would post the exact definition, and quote it to serve their means.

See how it says "forget" and it also says "forgive". You know what that means? It means there is more than one definition of the word. It means that it could be either way... and since this amnesty was designed to help the clans, it is obviously the "forget" version of the word.

As for Omni-Tek being a soverign body... they are the only soveriegn body on the planet.

It's like claiming the United States was not a soverign body, but just a collection of people with a large army and bankroll.

This post from the clanner is just done to anger the less intellegent clanners into believing Omni-Tek is out to get them.

I explained what the amnesty is, and you basically said "no it isnt... cuz I say so!"

Check the dictionary again, and when a word has two (or more) definitions it uses the one most relevant to the situation. In this situation, Omni-Tek wants to appeal to the clanners.

Why would Omni-Tek imply they were criminals? Wouldn't that anger clanners? Wouldn't Omni-Tek want to appeal to the most clanners possible?

Yes.

Amnesty in this situation does not imply they are criminals. I already stated that, and you claimed otherwise. You have no reason to think that aside from attempting to discredit the amnesty. You don't even seem to understand that Omni-Tek is not trying to scare clans with this action, and using the so-called definition you use would do just that.

Gee, who do you believe? A clanner who hates Omni-Tek, or an employee of Omni-Tek who actually understands this amnesty?

For the record, when I was shot down by you, CaptFallout, in Omni HQ, I was unarmed and unarmored, simply trying to hear what your Engineer who the Clans rescued and returned to your custody had to say. I understand that you have made it clear in the past that you do not respect the ceasefire and take the liberty of firing back on those who fire first, but please explain your actions in shooting down three unarmed Clan leaders who were simply spectating the speech of the prisoner they returned. I have a feeling your Boss wouldn't be too happy about how you decided to handle the situation.

And for those of you who are confused by what an amnesty is and whether or not there is a ceasefire, I took the liberty of reposting the official Omni-Tek announcement from the 25th of October.

-------------------------------------------

http://community.anarchy-online.com/...d/amnesty.html

Omni-Tek Announces Unconditional Amnesty
    Omni-1, October 25. 29475

The Omni-Tek Corporation of Rubi-Ka (OT-RK) announced today an unconditional amnesty for all registered and unregistered members and supporters – both political and military – of the illicit rebel clans of Rubi-Ka. At the same time, OT-RK reinforces their commitment to the existing ceasefire which has been increasingly strained in the past few months.

"The amnesty will hopefully open up a new channel of communications between Omni-Tek and the clans, particularly the Council of Truth," said OT-RK CEO Philip Ross in a statement to the press this morning. "Our objective is to work towards a new era of peace and understanding between our respective people, and to bolster the provisional ceasefire that’s been in effect since the signing of the Tir Accord. The amnesty will allow those who have committed crimes in the name of the clans to come out and hand in their weapons of aggression, without having to fear reprisals or their freedom – and perhaps to even join the Omni-Tek Corporation and start a whole new life."

The amnesty will supplement the already existent ceasefire between OT-RK and the rebel clans.

"The ceasefire has been suffering lately," said Ross, "partly because of the recent influx of new colonists – both Omni-Tek employees and clan supporters – and partly because of a lack of commitment on both sides. The amount of random violence in the past few months has been staggering, and this is something we need to find an immediate solution to. The ceasefire and the amnesty are the first steps on the long road towards reconciliation. I also want to extend a formal invitation to the Council to meet and discuss the terms of a lasting peace. We would like to enter into peace negotiations as soon as possible, and it is our hope that the amnesty shows our genuine commitment to this cause."

Effective immediately, the amnesty guarantees that an unconditional pardon is granted to every individual who has committed criminal acts against OT-RK in support of the rebel cause. Under corporate laws, the very act of being a registered member of the clans – or a political and/or military supporter of the clans – is a crime punishable by imprisonment and/or deportation.

With the amnesty in effect, clan members are also free to apply for a position within the Omni-Tek Corporation of Rubi-Ka.

"Our wish is for this to be the beginning of a new era of cooperation between ourselves and the free citizens of Rubi-Ka," said Philip Ross. "Our sincerest hope is that the amnesty and ceasefire will prove without the shadow of a doubt that we are committed to peace. The ball is now in the hands of the rebel clans, and, most importantly, the Council of Truth."

The Omni-Tek Corporation of Rubi-Ka is a subsidiary of the Omni-Tek Corporation. Omni-Tek is headquartered on Omni Prime, a planet in the Omni system. Omni-Tek was founded on Earth in 12274, and has grown to become the largest and most profitable hyper-corporation in history.
    Last edited by Luxxan; Nov 23rd, 2001 at 02:58:15.
    Clan fixer, Fourth Title

Director of Information
    Analog Myth

I really have to thank you; your comments are really making
    me do so much research into Earth prehistory that I'm starting
    to be something of an scholar about that.

According to what we know of the United States that you mentioned, they were formed by the disgruntled colonist that
    some other country sent to that part of Earth, when they
    got fed up with having absolutely no representation, no power
    to decide what was good for them or not, and got tired of being
    only a way to make profits for the first country.

Sounds familiar, doesnt it?

Apart, I have also to thank you for giving me this perfect example of how say your "enemy" says exactly the opposite of what he said, and then doing what you claim he did wrong. Of course is of no direct use to me, cause we dont get to that level of political
    manipulation on our Clan; maybe we are too backwards and unsophisticated, but we are used to say what we think and nothing more. But at least you have showed me your methods,
    and that another valuable lesson I have to thank you for.

In particular, you say that you expected somebody to dig the definition and twist it to their objetives. If you reread my previous post, you will see clearly that I read ALL definitions, and defined my posture to ALL possible interpretations of the word. I'm just waiting to see what is the real context for Omni-Tek "amnesty", and I will apply my strategy to that context. Unfortunately, I'm not as blessed as you in having an uncontestable authority to decide for me what the context its; I just have to see how things
    develop and decide for myself.

Then you accuse me of posting this just to convince clanners that
    the amnesty is a ploy. Eh... no. All the contrary. We have had long
    discussions about this at our meetings, and I have to point out that we still dont know if this amnesty is a real step toward peace or not to some our more hot-headed members, that want
    to get rid of your presence on the planet.

What its very interesting is that, for all the talk that we clanners are a fragmented bunch of rebels with as many objetives as members, Omni-Tek doesnt seem to be better. If I read Ross declaration, I can believe that the amnesty is just a good will gesture to help in the peace process, and the "join Omni-Tek"
    is not an obligatory requisite. If I read your and other Omni-Tek
    officials, you imply that if I dont accept the offer I'm going to be punished... and you are wondering why the Council of Truth is
    waiting so long to take a decision? We dont only have to weight
    in all our positions, but all of YOUR positions as well.

Be sure that I, and a lot of clanners, want peace and will accept
    Omni-Tek as a partner in a future democratic Rubi-Ka. Be also sure
    that we arent going to sell our freedom to get the peace of the slaves. Our position is clear. Now keep showing yours, and fate will be decided.

Ah, so you and your clan friends have purchased shares of land on Rubi-Ka?

No, you haven't. You are attempting to claim this planet was not under legitmate control by Omni-Tek. You do not recieve some special treatment by coming to our planet. What have you done for us?

If I wandered into your home, does that give me the right to claim a room to myself because I say it's mine. We have paid for the rights to this planet, and you have not.

"Freeloader" is what most people call you...

Either work for us, or leave. You have no right to be here, and if you expect special treatment such as some special democracy, then you are wrong.

We are not here to supply those that are not our employees. We came here to make money, and not to form a world of countries or states. You expect us to share what we paid for after many of you have killed our friends and families?

I guess the stereotypes are true. Beggars, cowards, the mentally unstable and criminals. You need to learn that things dont come free, and that just being here does not give you any right that extends beyond the contract with the ICC.

Go lease your own planet.

You are the one that have it backwards.

Just by being here you dont have any more rights that the
    ICC lease gave to you, that is, THE NOTUM MINING RIGHTS.

It didnt gave you a right to say who is fit to be in this planet and
    how isnt, what to do with every single aspect of the planet, etc.

You came here to make money by getting notum out of this planet? Do it. Leave the rest to the people that want to LIVE here. You dont have to provide us with nothing; that I know, we clanners have been sustaining ourselves for a very long time.

If Omni-Tek really wants to play it legal, it should start thinking about being a mining company on Rubi-Ka and nothing more, cause any other thing, like employing obvious megalomaniacs like you to run the planet by the force of arms is starting to put that lease on risk...

A few Facts :

1. The ICC is the soveign body on Rubi-Ka, Omni-Tek has lease provsions for the mining rights to the Notum deposits. It is also subject to several clauses imposed upon Omni-Tek by the ICC.

2. A ceasefire was established by Omni-Tek and The Council of Truth in the Tir Accords many months ago, before the majority of recent colonists landed on Rubi-Ka.

3. Omni-Tek officially offered an Amnesty against all past actions that were in violation of planterary and interstellar laws conducted by person or persons(s) against Omni-Tek.

To put it into a pre-The Omega earth concept Omni-Tek is like a civilian mining company granted certain mining priviledges over land that belongs to a soveign state like the former United States of America (that was destroyed by the plague and the following nuclear winter caused by factions backed by The Omega.)

They have certain rights and priviledges but ultimately the soveighn bodys (The ICC in this case) laws and rulings must be followed or the rights could be revoked or the company could face legal challanges, fines, etc.

Both Omni-Tek AND The Clans must be careful how they act, the ICC maintains a number of installations on Rubi-Ka including a substanstial headquarters facility.
    Ye Olde and Original Founding is BACK !

Australian Timezone - RK1

We "bought shares" in Rubi-Ka with every drop of blood shed by the miners and freedom fighters struggling to be free of the OT yoke.

Omni-Tek's very language on this issue is viscerally offensive. Did your corporation buy shares in the soul of every man, woman, and Atrox who would be free?

We reject your false claims to righteousness, we reject your pretense of soveriegnity, we reject your so-called authority to dictate the warp and woof of our lives.

Bow to the demands of the clans for freedom and liberty or get your notum somewhere else, Omni-Tek. Rubi-Ka is our homeworld, and you are intruders here.

We who fight for emancipation will come back to the field of battle again and again. We will never stop our efforts to free ourselves and our fellow clanners. We will never be beaten back.

Your corporation fights for profit. You have already lost--there is no cost too high for freedom, no price we will not pay.

We will relentlessly outbid you with our lives.

Since when did we use slave labor? Isn't that what you describe?

If you dislike working for us, we don't care... as long as you quit.

You make it sound like we forced you to work for us, or we forced you to do things you didn't want to.

From what I can see, all of our employees signed-up to work for us.

If you don't like working for us, please leave.

As for Omni-Tek being intruders... you were living here before we came?

Last time I checked, we had to terraform the planet. We were the first group of people who came to this planet, and in the eyes of the ICC we are the the only group of people who have the legal right to be here.

You don't like living here? So what? Are you guys paying the ICC to mine here? Did you terraform the planet?

Like i said before... you are freeloaders.

Go lease your own planet, or shut your whining mouth.

I do have to agree that Omni is responsible for the terraforming of Rubi-Ka, and anyone that is on this planet was an employee of Omni at some time or another. Current day clan members WERE at one point Omni-Tek employees. This is whether you like it or not. That IS the reason you are here.

Your choice to Rebel against the Corporation that brought you here is being forgiven during this time of Amnesty. That is what this is about. I don't want to repeat what Cptfallout said word for word but that is the way things are. I just wanted to point out the fact that if it weren't for Omni-Tek you would not be here. Take advantage of Amnesty to be forgiven for your wrongdoings.

Regards,