Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New GM Power

New GM Power

After last nights (Nov 21st) embarrassing display of my fellow Omni-Tek employees blatant disregard of the ordered cease-fire. I believe that GMs’ needs an additional ability. The ability to set someone’s alignment from Omni / Clan to Neutral, and to have a flag set that prevents the use of applications to rejoin that faction.

Last Night (Nov 21st) I saw in the mist of a cyborg invasion of Omni HQ, some Omni employees who instead of concentrating our efforts on the cybogs, turned their guns on clanners who had come to help. This was in direct disregard of the cease-fire order given by Mr. Ross CEO of Omni-Tek Rubi-Ka.

Perhaps in some warped view of reality they thought by disobeying direct orders from their boss they would get a promotion. Perhaps they thought by reducing the number of people fighting the cyborgs that Mr. Ross would see the folly of the Amnesty and end it.

I don’t know about you but when I do the exact opposite of what my boss wants at a critical time, I’m going to be handed a “pink slip” and be told that my services are no longer required. And if I screw up big enough I’m going to be visited by the law enforcement officials.

In Game equivalent would be the setting of alignment to Neutral, and the rejection of reapplication, by a GM in the persona of an official of their appropriate side. To remove the flag would require a GM, (I.E. a judge granting a re-admitance)
    ------------------------------------------------
    General Blyzzard
    Division 9
    Strat Ops
    -----------------------------------------------

Thumbs up

U'r idea is a great one - and I back it up 100% - If employees (Clan or OT) cant control their guns when people are fighting for a common cause - I really like the idea that GM's would be able to "can" the Employee and set him to neutral - And that would only be revesable by a GM..

Great idea - thumbs up

Kohistan
    Fixer

Heh this would be great!! Good RP aspects too...

Question, why keep the gas level at 25% and then run an event where both omni and clanners participate? I mean, that is just asking for it.

Instead of having to change the faction of people, just allow the GM to set a general area to 75% if they want people to calm down.
    *poof*

Finally free from this nightmare!

More than just gas variation

this power would be a more fitting result for those who openly rebel aginst the people in charge. And it fits in a RP way.

Tell me, why don't you openly disobay those who have athority over you? Because of the results your actions would produce. Right no the GM's have only baning and suspending of accounts as things they can do to discourage certain actions.

RP a willful disobediance to your boss isn't something to ban you for. But it should get you fired. RP a willful disreguard for a comanding officers orders isn't something to suspend your account for. But you should be court-marshalled and thrown out of the clan.

then if you can RP a reconciliation (IE convince a GM) that they are willing to let you back in, then Great! I'd think you'd follow the rules a bit better.

Changing the gas levels would stop the PVP in an event. It wouldn't stop people from blatently disreguarding the role playing asspects of this game.
    General Blyzzard
    Division 9
    Strat Ops

well erm....

isnt the whole idea of this game anarchy, we are at war pp, no matter wot ceasefire yu declare, there are always gonna be factions of each side that think this cease fire is bull and are going to fight against it at every turn, just because yu dont like somsones veiws and yu were silly enough to think everyone is gonna follow one fictional guys orders is just silly.

and yu cant kick them from the story just cause they play by different rules.

Now this is a great idea, it makes perfect sense and it lends to role play aspects as well as inflicting some form of punishment upon faction players going against the general orders issued by their leaders.

I like what this idea is trying to accomplish here are my thoughts.

Any rebel Omni and Clans (in the view of a GM) are given the alignment of 'Outcast' and are able to shop, save etc as Neutrals however DON'T suffer from the Neutrals PvP conditions of having to be fired upon first to return fire. It could even be set so that both Omni & Clan guards view Outcasts as hostile though Neutral guards will not. Bascially not a very pleasent existance.

Furthurmore it should be possible to 'apply' to be an Outcast by a 'Renounement form' from a shop like exists with current applications. However applying to rejoin Omni or Clans would require great difficulty, perhalps allow 'Outcasts' to collect two new token types 'Clan Redemption' and 'Omni Redemption' after collecting say (Level*.5) in these redemption tokens you can cash them in for an application to rejoin omni or clans (depending which tokens you turn in) Basically you would have 2 new boards called redemption boards that when you right click your redemption tokens add to their respective boards, when the boards reach your level*.5 in tokens collected they convert into an Outcast -> respective faction form.

This would allow the system to be put into place with only minor changes to existing code, mostly in the database rather than alot of actual coding.
    Ye Olde and Original Founding is BACK !

Australian Timezone - RK1

Id just like to say, that I was present then, but I did not attack a clanner, though It did attempt to but died before I was able to.

But, the reason why this happened is becuase, everyone was uner the impression they where goin to take advantage of this and attack, you did notice they 40 or so clanners in the grid outside the Omni Hq one yes?

But I agree that if this did happen, which to be honest I did not really see happen, and I saw some clanner get attacked by guards, so whos fualt was it there.

But yeah if they did break the amnesty / cease fire then maye some punishment should be set but not the changing of alignment.

I mean tens of tens people break it all the time and clan's omni fight all the time.

Doesnt really make sense though.

Re: well erm....

Originally posted by Denghar
    isnt the whole idea of this game anarchy, we are at war pp, no matter wot ceasefire yu declare, there are always gonna be factions of each side that think this cease fire is bull and are going to fight against it at every turn, just because yu dont like somsones veiws and yu were silly enough to think everyone is gonna follow one fictional guys orders is just silly.

and yu cant kick them from the story just cause they play by different rules.
    And if we don´t follow orders we should have to face the facts that we can be fired or brought up to face charges of murder.
    If some people have not noticed it we at Omni do have a prison, and in prison you place prisoners who have broken the laws/rules of Omnitech. And since we are a corperation I´m not even sure if you would get a defender or if they just read up the charges and the sentence.

So from that I do get the conclusion that you can kick a character from the story, into prison, when they do something obviously against orders given with a lot of witness present (we tend not to leave any witnesses on missions since we are told to kill everyone).

Again I mention, we do I frequently see clanners die at the hands of an OMNI-TEK GUARDS?
    Yus Im omni myself.

It is OK to fight if you are attacked first. How many omni people fighting were attacked first? Don't tell me that not one single clanner fired first.

The amnesty was just that amnesty it wasn't a cease fire, a cease fire has been in effect since day one of the game.

So logic states then that each and every omni who fired first on a clan since day 1 should be fired. Thats a heck of a lot of people to fire.
    Morgan "Carpak" Flowers
    Omni nano crat
    "We are here to serve?"

Lightbulb In game Organization

This sounds like a great idea, but that much GM involvement would be kindof time-intensive wouldn't it? I mean, in this case it would probably be easy, but in general to have GM's monitor the actions of players and see if they conform with the rp of the leaders of omni-tek? Seems like we are asking a bit much.

How about this:
    How about players take the time to use the organization functions and set up organizations modeling the different departments of Omni-Tek. I myself would like to join an Omni-Pol player run organization. Not called Mercenaries of War or Dogs of Death, but actually called Omni-Pol and run by a player who rp's the head of Omni-Pol. Ooops, got sidetracked. Anyway, if players took more ownership of the organizations of Omni-Tek, than we could demote and kick out people who misbehave, and take care of these sorts of problems "in-house". This would also give Omni-Tek the heirarchy that the game designers are begging us to utilize, instead of every omni-tek citizen being equal in authority and hoping everybody roleplays accurately.

Sorry about the rant, I agree with the above points, just a different method of utilization. My two cents.

Friday
    Soldier of Omni-Pol
    RK1

More for open rebelion, than misdeeds

I don't think this ability to fire some one should be used on everyone who shot a clanner unprovoked.

This is more of an ability to reign in the members of the few groups that are in open mutiny against CEO Ross.

The members of the Dark Alliance have declared publicly that they will not follow Mr. Ross' orders, and that they are going to do whatever it takes to get Mr. Ross replaced as CEO.

Now should these members be allowed to remain in the employ of Omni-Tek? Does the guy who signs their paycheck have to pay them while they work for his destruction?

The same holds true for the Clan. Though they are a much more lose organization, they should still have the right to remove a group that is actively seeking its destruction from within its own ranks. (Though Inter Ops probably has agents in there trying to do just that, that is their job after all.)
    General Blyzzard
    Division 9
    Strat Ops

Originally posted by Tao_Man
    It is OK to fight if you are attacked first. How many omni people fighting were attacked first? Don't tell me that not one single clanner fired first.

The amnesty was just that amnesty it wasn't a cease fire, a cease fire has been in effect since day one of the game.

So logic states then that each and every omni who fired first on a clan since day 1 should be fired. Thats a heck of a lot of people to fire.
    Actually the game DID start from day 1 with a ceasefire in place. Omni-Tek and the Clans signed a ceasefire called the Tir Accords prior to the game launching, thats how come we don't have outright war.

A couple of months AFTER the ceasefire the Amnesty was put in place.
    Ye Olde and Original Founding is BACK !

Australian Timezone - RK1

Right, I know I previously agreed with the suggestion, but upon giving it further thought I would like to make a suggestion of my own.

Rather than turning Neutrality into a dumping ground for all the incompetant omni/clan types, why not make something of a sub faction within the players respective factions. Omni - fired or Clan - Outcast. Rather than completely becoming the equivalent of a neutral, this person would be unwelcome among his previous faction dwellings, and would still be recognized as an enemy by the other faction. So in essence, no access to shopping missions insurance of your old faction, and are under shoot on sight orders for any zone at or below 75% supression gas by both the clan and omni specific NPCs (well cept for the scared little greys).

An outcast player would be different than a neutral in that they originally stood for what their beliefs were and possibly still do, and they should carry that weight of previous reputation with them. A neutral wants nothing to do with the war between the two facations and so does not have any such background that an outcast player has. By not only subjecting the players to a form of ostracizing but also making the world a potentially very dangerous place for the outcast you will really make people think about their actions a bit more than they already are.

Of course, there should be a way for a player to regain the trust of his faction, so this will need to be thought about as well. It would be unfair just to totally screw a paying customer's player permenantly, but if it is enough of a pain in the butt then it'll be a good learning experience with no permenant damage. Then again, maybe something equivalent to a token focused on being fired would rate the difficulty it would be to come back for example, one token relatively easy quest, you are not in that hot water with the faction, 9 tokens incredibly hard quest, you had better single handedly bring glory to your faction, 10 tokens, you've had as many chances as you are going to get, so long creep.

There is currently no ceasefire with the clans. However we are offering them amnesty. You will find that our own guards will fire on clanners that choose to reject the offer however. Also, who's to say the clanners weren't there to assist the cyborgs? Even if they claim otherwise... There aren't many clanners I trust.

A ceasefire based on a treaty that was signed before thousands of new people emmigrate to a colony is nearly worthless. Many who have come are aggressors, and care nothing for what their 'boss' says. Especially considering they never get to see their boss in game ((whups, am I slipping OOC?)). One could say t was a foolish thing to enter such a treaty, however the change in political climate may have been unforseen. While there is still no 'all out war', there are new skirmishes popping up all over the place. From MMD to 2HO to even Deep Artery Valley. Amazingly, I was asked if I was 'part of the war' from a ranking member of a clan guild. I replied that I would not initate combat, however if omnis in my presence I could not promise I would not attempt to defend myself and my friends. If there is to be a new treaty, it must take place again. It must be agreed upon by the new members of Rubi-ka. I assume that the new governmental changes (voting and board members etc.) are being put in place in responce to the population surge. The 'Athen Accords' do not seem to be it however, as these accords have been broken numerous times from what I have seen (I am not able to travel to Rubi-ka 1 at the present time to verify this for myself).

Next move gentlemen.

Humour, the Omnicrat
    Last edited by dfield; Nov 24th, 2001 at 06:35:31.

Outcast Faction

I like that Outcast Faction idea, it does indeed fit.

As for the Cease-fire, it does indeed exist, and though weak is still holding. Omni and Clan grav tanks are not clashing on the plains of West Stret Bank, Nor in Avalon, Nor any other place on the face of Rubi- Ka. They are parked in their secure lots (and no I will not tell you where that is).
    General Blyzzard
    Division 9
    Strat Ops

Originally posted by Falcon

Actually the game DID start from day 1 with a ceasefire in place. Omni-Tek and the Clans signed a ceasefire called the Tir Accords prior to the game launching, thats how come we don't have outright war.

A couple of months AFTER the ceasefire the Amnesty was put in place.
    I don't really know why you quoted me and then said that there has been a cease fire from day one. I said the same thing. When the amnesty was anounced Ross said he stil supported the Tir accord and I for one have not fired first ever (not counting dualing frineds in the arena).

To others that think that publicly stating a diffrent viewpoint and asking for the removel of Ross as CEO of Omni-Tek Rubi-Ka should be punished. I think that just goes to show how open minded Omni is. Forget the propaganda Rubi-Ka is run by a man who has let people come out in public denouncing him. I for one support the open minded attitude taken by Ross and think a draconion approach to any who dissagree with him would be very counter-productive. I like working for a company that lets free speech and open discussion take place.

Many clans state that you are not free if you work for omni, that they take away your freedom. Well I think the proof is in the pudding so to speak.
    Morgan "Carpak" Flowers
    Omni nano crat
    "We are here to serve?"

To talk about how you disagree with the decisions of the boss, to talk about how he should be replaced are all with in your rights as an employee.
    But to act in a manner that you hope will bring about those desires is called industrial espionage, mutiny, or even (when like on Rubi-Ka the employer is the ruling authority) treason.
    If you do not see the difference between talking about an action and doing it, then I can not have a reasonable discussion with you. We simply do not have a common point of reference to talk about this.
    General Blyzzard
    Division 9
    Strat Ops

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast