Thread: Storytellers of Rubi-Ka Unite!

Storytellers of Rubi-Ka Unite!

My name is Chris, or in AO Ryha. I am the Role Playing Event coordinator for the Clan Valor Eternal. I'd like to tell you a little about what I have been doing and then make a couple of requests.

I create and organize RP events for my clan... very much in the way Dr Tiny describes in his guide (rooted post above).

At this point you may be saying 'yah yah we all do that...or not...in any case let me give an example:

One of the first events that I ran was the kidnapping of the daughter of a Miir Executive. I set up the kidnapping by posting a Grid feed article reporting her disappearance a week before the event. In the following days I posted a description of the kidnapping through the victims eyes and then a character background for the kidnapper and then one for the informant that would get my clan involved.

On the day of the event the informant contacted the clan and requested a meeting. I created an alt to play as the informant. Several clan members interrogated the informant and found out that he had stumbled on the location of the kidnapper. I then switched to a second alt representing the kidnaper and waited for the players to find him. When they did he negotiated with them for a ransom. They demanded to see the kidnapped girl, I then switched to another alt representing the victim. After speaking with the girl, who I RPed as being trapped in a force field, they again met with the kidnaper. When they refused to give him the demanded ransom (1 million credits) he reveled to them that the entire kidnapping had been a ruse to draw out and identify dangerous clans. The kidnapper and his shadowy department have become the primary villain in the plotlines that I have been writing.

After the completion of an event I write an account of the events and post logs of the best parts of the RP so that those who did not participate in the events can follow the storyline. I also post to the storylines being written by the other members of the clan to introduce unifying elements to their plots.

So I'm posting here today because until now I have been working pretty much in isolation. I have been in a lot of orgs in a lot of games, but it is only in the past few months that I have begun running events. I would like to know if any of you, or your orgs are doing anything similar. (I’m assuming at least DrTiny is) If there is anyone else out there running org events like mine I would like to meet with all of you and exchange notes at the very least. Ideally I would like to start to work with you to weave our stores together and give Anarchy the involving moving plotline that its rich setting and back-story deserve.

I am interested in working with storytellers on all sides of the conflict to really give our orgs a ride. The stories posted on the forums and on our orgs forums are great but if those of us running things for our groups get together we could do a lot more! (If some kind of RP storytellers group already exists somebody tell me where the clubhouse is and slip me the password ‘cus I want in!...and if it doesn’t then let’s get it started!)

If your clan does not have anyone running events I would like to invite you to participate in one of VE's events. Just send me an email and I'll work you in. I would also be happy to work with anyone who wants to try running events for their clan (I have more ideas for events than I will ever be able to run).

In any case if you or your clan is interested in role playing I hope I hear from you.

-Ryha (Chris A Barney)
    chris@marlboro.edu

OOCly

Can't say that I have much time to prepare events for the moment (exams stime not over yet). But I've a certain experience at storytelling in tabletop RPGs, and several time I've found myself 'organizing' the logistics on small events (a.k.a the dirty job: bullying people OOCly until they all show up on the date and time planned )), and cluttering these very boards with my logorrheic posts all the time. Comes July, I'll be more available to plan things again, so maybe I could be of help in some events. I'm not running a big org, but if you're interested, don't hesitate to give me a holler
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

Hi,

I've been working on adventures of this sort for well over a year, first in my previous org, the South Rubi-Ka Society and now in RUR. And we by no means the only ones. I am not aware there is an overall organisation of storytellers. What tends to happen in practice is that groups of 2-3 orgs work together for a while on a specific storyline (such as the 4 part story Unity of the Rose and RUR recently collaborated on).

Anyway, happy to meet up anytime to swap notes and maybe plan some mischief.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Ok, good to hear from both of you. I'm going to let this thread run for a week or so and then try to organize a time that we can all get together ingame and talk.

Also would any of you find a website/message boards dedicated to storytellers and plot coordination usefull? Perhaps somthing password protected so our players don't peek? that way we could openly discuss what we have in store for them and develope long term plans? (It seems like a good idea to me but I want to make sure that it would get used before I go to the trouble of setting it up...)

-Ryha

U could check the rp orgs list and contact the leaders there

The CTU are an RP org, although we have yet to do any majour events or storys

Great minds...
    I actually started that this weekend, I got to the listed Omni and Neutral Orgs that have websited in their discriptions...I will get to the clans as soon as I can (though I've alredy posted to the endgame aliance and they make up almost a third) I've alredy had a few responses...OmniPol among others...

OOC

Personnally, I'm always in favor of having a message board for this kind of things. Of course, it's not as funny as getting in touch in game, but its easier for me to check on when I'm at work or can't play because I only have half a hour ahead or something. This way I can keep in touch, and also note down ideas.

There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

There is already a forum we can use at RP Central; the AO Roleplayer's Workshop

It was created to support a previous (failed) attempt to organise the various people running adventures in AO.
    Last edited by Savoy; Jun 9th, 2003 at 08:15:35.

The idea sounds interesting. Let me know how it turns out.
    Charles 'Kithrak' Houston - Equipment
    Administrator, Omni-Admin
    Bringing the politics of Rubi-Ka to life!

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-

OOC

Oooh, Savoy, this may get very handy. And RPCentral needs a boost anyway

There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

It's gotta start someplace...

Ok. If you are interested in helping to plan a large scale Clan/Neutral/Omni storyarch post your information to this thread on RP Central:

http://rpcentral.no-ip.com/forumthre...-136D1D08865F}

The whole link is:

http://rpcentral.no-ip.com/forumthreadview.asp?forum={9525EBC4-1D69-4D90-A840-94A3D0E93CB0}&thread={C7419647-63C9-4153-A481-136D1D08865F}

You might want to post it here as well.

What you should post:
    Your RL name (optional)
    Your main's name
    Your Alt's names (optional)
    Your Primary org
    Your position in that Org (ie RP event coordinator or President)
    Your email (important so that we can have a mailing list with privacy from our players)

If you don't want to post your email so publicly feel free to email it to me at chris@marlboro.edu
    Last edited by Ryha's Player; Jun 11th, 2003 at 14:38:08.

Okay, I've signed up.

But if you are looking for cross-guild, cross faction roleplaying opportunities, check out the "RUR to research Neeutral Token Board" and "Scientist, Researcher, Engineers" thread on this very forum. We've already got a number of orgs and individual roleplayers involved and we aim to progress this stroy at many differnet levels.