Thread: Game stoppers

Angry Game stoppers

A view of the problems from a 2hb enforcer:

I feel the game is almost unplayable solo at the time and very difficult for maintaining groupings.. What happens when doing missions are the following.

Can't hit - you get into a fight and can not hit. I am now not even registering one hit against green/yellow mobs. Moving back and forth is not useful as a workaround for several reasons. You are now frozen repeatedly in place by mob's. Timing of when to move forward or back is no longer present due to the motioning of punching. I have invested heavily in melee initiative. The current game has effectively disabled this skill, I swing but do not hit. I punch when I should be swinging and connecting for damage. This for me is the largest bug that is now within the game.

Zoning/healing mobs - this used to be a way to fight the occasional harder mob in a mission. This is no longer a viable way for fighting. The time taken now to zone in and out means at a minimum the mob will be half healed. Of course you are not healing during the zoning whereas the mob is healing itsefl the entire time. The result is a mob that is at full health every time you finish your healing and finally zone back in to the mission. Nano's cast on the ouside of a mission are still under the timer as well during the long zonings. This means shorter duration nano's like mongo are already half gone by the time you have rezoned.

Respawned missions - this would seem to indicate that problems are not with anyones connectivity, rather the server load is the problem. Spending an hour to clear a mission and approaching the mission reward only to have the mission respawned, one then dies on the way out of a once cleared mission losing all experience. This is a very large bug as well and is a "game-stopper" as it makes one playing not enjoy the experience.

Random crashing to desktop - What exactly are the bug reports telling you when these are sent in? I would like to know if this is an identified problem with the patch or is the result of internet connectivity? Again I believe this is largely the game itself. It is happening to many people. If the pipes can not handle the increased network load then it is time to expand or switch your providers.

Server/client timing - When a mob dies sometimes I am still hit for damage, nano's are still cast against myself. Yesterday, I saw the dead NPC cast a health freeloader and actually was brought back to 1/4 health. What is strange also is a Da Taunter can be used for damage. But a weapon will state that the mob is already dead.
    I run from a close battle to the mission exit. There I stand ready to continue the fight. The problem is the mob's do not appear. I am being nuked through walls and shot without being able to attack back. The mob is completely invisible and does not even register on the map as a dot. Zoning out is the only way to see the mob again.

I am truly embarassed that all these new players who have come back to a game that is in such an unplayable and at a minimum-an unenjoyable state. "AO has changed" "Not the same game as launch" or so we told them. Personally, I believe it's obvious that at the present time it has not improved in terms of playability.

Can someone please show me where an official statement regarding these problems and when the problems will be patched? I would be very appreciative as I do not frequent these forums. TIA.

Re: Game stoppers

Originally posted by BlackoutGrey
    A view of the problems from a 2hb enforcer:

I feel the game is almost unplayable solo at the time

Can't hit -

Zoning/healing mobs -

Respawned missions -

Random crashing to desktop - If the pipes can not handle the increased network load then it is time to expand or switch your providers.

Server/client timing -

I am truly embarassed that all these new players who have come back to a game that is in such an unplayable and at a minimum-an unenjoyable state. "AO has changed" "Not the same game as launch" or so we told them. Personally, I believe it's obvious that at the present time it has not improved in terms of playability.

Can someone please show me where an official statement regarding these problems and when the problems will be patched? I would be very appreciative as I do not frequent these forums. TIA.

BOG is a stand up guy (when he is supine from dying , hehe JK)

He has been a fixture on the AOVault boards since last fall, he, like I, has stuck through with you guys through thick and thin.

cant hit - this I dont see for the most part, must be a melee issue, but i still do get some "blackhole" casts.

zoning/healing mobs - I have always hated this... I understand they should heal at somewhat of a better rate as to keep people from using a zone trick to kill reds, but come on, this is ridiculous. The only way I get around it is by sticking a dot on them, this makes them think they are still in a fight, and so dont heal at that incredibly fast rate. I shouldnt have to "cheat" to survive, you are supposed to figure out a middle ground so that people who did really cheat cant get what they want but still allow meritous players survive.

Respawned missions - I do small missions, so this is less a problem for me but.. you should not allow respawning in a solo mission.

"Random crashing to desktop - If the pipes can not handle the increased network load then it is time to expand or switch your providers."

This one is just a big DUH. Are you gonna let the people from DAOC quit all over again, cuz you cant stop penny pinching and buy more bandwidth? you have a large influx of new players right now. We, and they deserve to be able to play with the same stability that made us tell them to come back!

Server/client timing - This seems patch related - Go fix it.

The rest of his observations are spot on. And you should heed this guy, as he is a visible part of the community. When you get someone who has been steadfastly supportive suddenly posting to your forum, you should WAKE UP, and take notice.
    Last edited by Noe; Mar 5th, 2002 at 05:36:14.

I would be glad to show you the melee problem in game Noe, just send me a /tell. It was an admitted problem at roughly a month ago but it is now worse than ever. I believe it affects all hammer enforcers. I admitedly do not know about beams as one enforcer still says he "rocks" at level 70. A second friend, who is a level 78 enforcer using a QL151 hammer is having the exact same problems as myself. I am using a QL200 sledgehammer. I am buffing with Brutal Thug and 2hb expertise. If anyone has a workaround let me know I have tried just about everything. Nothing seems to work at this point including shuffling in place. Running away and stopping seems to be the only "workaround". This is just not a good workaround for obvious reasons. One fight the hammer will work, the next one it will fail. Roughly nine out of ten fights will have this bug.

The missions respawning are when the mission or zone server crashes and then drops the player from the game. You log into a blackness with the same mobs in every room that was cleared. If there is a mob in the room you are in and you are already injured there is no where to run. The player dies and loses all experience. This is not due to any timer which may cause respawning.

I can back you up on the Hammer problem... i was using a QL 133 hammer until the great 13.8/13.9 patch. Now all the sudden i'm freakin Jackie Chan. The beam is not affected by this problem and in fact i'm thinking of switching to the beam now that i have had some time to play around with it... i currently have a QL132 on and my high hit is 1893.
    Fletcher "Baltor" Sedy

General Of The TravelingOmniLoveMachine Inc.

It's a melee issue

and not confined to either enforcers or hammers - I'm an adventurer, using 1he, and I get this, also. Every patch, I pray for a stealth fix.

Word was this "punching" bug would be fixed "early next week".

It's early next week, approaching "mid next week".

What's up? It doesn't affect beamers so all the atrox are happy (90% of melee users). We are here (non atrox melee users).
    Katelin Arinia Rhees
    Level 220 Enforcer
    Former Enforcer Professional
    Former President of the late Midnight Reveries
    Account Created: 2001-10-08; Account Expired: 2005-02-19

Note that the logon message now says servers will be going down for a 4 hour patch the morning of the 6th.

Presumably, this is the fix patch for punching with weapons when you didn't want to.

Bets on what else it breaks? <grin>

I'll put $10 on it breaks mobs... more insta casting or perhaps higher AC's but you can bet your sweet essence that something will be broke
    Fletcher "Baltor" Sedy

General Of The TravelingOmniLoveMachine Inc.

I still have a problem with it if it does not fix the bug where you get the mob down to 20 percent health and then can not hit them anymore. Last night a yellow/green was at this point in battle and my health was almost at max. He not only chopped down my health but ended up killing me because I never hit again. (For over a minute I did not land one blow.)

That is agro-vation.

BOG, I concur with many of your observations.

Zoning now takes a LOOONNNG time compared to a few patches age.

Are the zoning servers overloaded ? Or did some new code cause problems ?

There is a big problem with client/server sync. Combat messages often arrive too late, or in the wrong order, etc.

In many occasion I see a whole chain of my hits, then mob dies, but I see the mob standing there still. A while later, I see a whole chain of mob's hits (on me), the mob dies.

And when teams do missions, the problem of losing sync with teammate is getting worse. We often lost "sight" of them even when we are supposed to be standing in the same location. ONly zoning out and in (and lose the map in the process) could cure this.

Is AO getting overloaded ? Or did u guys add in some new net code to counter some exploits (from client server sync problems) ?