Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Solution to camping and lack of boss mob

Bump

This thread needs to be bumped

Camping does suck, put a timer on "rare" items so you can only get them 1 time or at limeted amounts, in DAoC certain mobs drop items when you get item it say's "You have completed the one time "XXXXX" drop quest" and you cant do it again ever....

Or make it so everyone in the group gets the item when the mob dies that way it limits it down to groups instead of individual....

OOOrrr make it once you get the item you are "flagged" and cant get the item to drop again for 1 week...

All these are great ideas, because there my ideas...
    "It's not a spelling error, it's art"
    "No need to argue or praise my genious"

Thumbs up

This is exactly what is needed its bad enough after playing for 8 months to have to log in directly after the server has been down to catch a glimpse of a camped unique such as the trashking for the first time, 12 minutes later he was dead,,,,,,,,, then to go in missions and find them constantly camped is soo frustarting Especially after having to co ordiante a group over several times zones to meet up to do this.

The other day there was even a high lvl char threatening to clear out the dungeon if anyone tried to go in bfefore his friends group had finished which although i can understand why they did this it is totally unfair to do so. A mission key would be great as it would sort any of the problems and make those dungeons worth attempting again.

Time to use my first bump ever i guess..

So a top idea dude i hope funcom acts on it BUMP!

Re: Bump

Originally posted by Mandey

Camping does suck, put a timer on "rare" items so you can only get them 1 time or at limeted amounts, in DAoC certain mobs drop items when you get item it say's "You have completed the one time "XXXXX" drop quest" and you cant do it again ever....

I like it
    Chris "Councilor" Sandine
    In statesmanship, get the formalities right; never mind about the moralities.
    1. An official of a bureaucracy.
    2. An official who is rigidly devoted to the details of administrative procedure.

The solution is simple. a device outside the mission were one pick a key and then he/she can duplicate that key to the peolpe he/she want to get into the dungeon.

Also no respawn but a limitation in time for the dungeon to expire.

why not a reward that will become less rare with the time spending in the cave ?

So its a skill connected to the speed of making the dungeon.

and if someone have 30 good friends that agree to join in a dungeon mission for the item to get it very fast. well so be it. the other 29 will get tired and well who wants to repeat to do that 30 times.

Or a solution that the reward adjust to the people that actually take part in the dungeon. And that means that 30 people in a cave will get a less rare item and 5 people do the cave will get many rare iterm per person.

Just some ideas. what do you peolpe think about it.

hmm

FC would do good in commenting this post.

Bump

*bump*

I was out to get Neleb's robe the other day. I was alone, and luckily the dungeon itself was empty (not sure if I could've cleared it myself). When I got to the final room, there was one martial artist waiting for Neleb, and an engineer. I was number 3 in line, which was fine. Soon after, a team came along, they too were decent enough to take their place in the established queue. Then the last team entered, which also gave the impression of standing in line. Everyone helped waste Neleb when he spawned, and all adds were taken care of by joint effort from everyone there.

Then my turn came. Neleb spawned. Everyone attacked. Neleb died. What happened? The last team to enter stole the robe. There were 2 people in front of them in the line. One player started rambling about the person on the platform being the one with the right to take the robe (everyone except the stealing team thought the idea completely ridiculous). It was fine. I was pissed off, but figured there was little sense arguing over it since the robe was nodrop. I hoped that I'd get the next one. I waited. Neleb spawned. Neleb died. Second person from said team stole the robe. A**holes both of them. They left, except for the one guy who'd argued the queue-principle regarding the ramp. He stayed back, and offered to help me take down Neleb (for which I was very gratefull, since by then I knew I couldn't take him out by myself). The team who'd come after me was still there, so they too helped. Everything was fine. Neleb spawned. Neleb died. I got my robe

I think I waited for 2 hours just to get that robe. If there'd been a separate dungeon for me to clear, I'd have gotten clansbrethren to join me in the quest and we'd have to clear out the dundeon, and I'd have gotten my robe. If it'd taken a long time wouldn't have mattered, since it wouldn't be time spent waiting - it'd be time spent playing and moving forward, which makes a hell of a difference IMNSHO.

So FC, please read this thread, and implement some kind of individuality to the static dungeons/missions. If you want an item badly you shouldn't have to sit wait for hours to get it. Make it harder to get instead, but atleast you'll have a sense of having accomplished something when you're done, instead of just "I'm finally done waiting".
    Archelan, Ancarim Iron Legion

Vandreren (Adventurer) - Arctech (Engineer) - Egori (Fixer) - Sherringham (Bureaucrat) - Kurtwood (Trader)

Thumbs up Bump

I so totally agree with this thread! Something must be done!

First bump ever... ready? set? *BUMP*

Lightbulb

EMAIL FUNCOM

It will help!

Add the link to the begining of this thread:
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14074
    Last edited by Psilex; Mar 20th, 2002 at 13:25:54.
    "Your village called...their idiot is missing"

Psilex (Agent)
    Smokegirl (Nano-tech)
    Tylerdurdon (Bureaucrat)

Proud Member of:
    Omni-Tribunal
    Omni-Pol

Funcom, please consider this fix. I was actually thinking of leaving the game. But this feels like new hope.

:)

Bump******
    This post does deserve it

Talking bump

I like the idea of treating it like any other mission area. You go into a playfield with the team, and kill everything and have to leave and start if over. You are guaranteed drops and no other teams running in behind you and getting you killed/taking advantage of your work.

Ecce

Re: Bump

Originally posted by Mandey
    OOOrrr make it once you get the item you are "flagged" and cant get the item to drop again for 1 week...
    I'm actually a fan of this a lot. I've seen it done in other games, and I think it works well.

Example... In Asheron's Call, when you picked up a broken virindi mask, you couldn't pick up another one for 3 weeks. The item (once converted to a real mask) was giveable, so you could get them for other people, but you could only get one every 3 weeks.

This kept "rare" items possible to get without *requiring* them to be nodrop/nogive. And helped reduce the problem of having high levels camping mobs to outfit their entire guild, without requiring any of the guild to participate.

I think this would go a long ways to fixing even existing static dungeons (without the key idea..although I think this could work well, too). If a certain person could only get 1 item in X weeks, they have no reason to camp the mob, and you could start looking at increasing the spawn rate again.
    Doctor Valen, Omni Medic
    Keeper Mezathras

Bump!

This is one of the best examples I have seen of constructive criticism and a brilliant ( read BRILLIANT) idea. This can fix one of the biggest problems in any MMORPG; CAMPING:

• Keeps an item desirable because it is rare
    • Increases the 'adventure' portion of the game
    • Still encourages teamwork
    • Can give something for a guild to do (i.e. Wanna go do xxx mission, Soandso would like to get a "Black T-Shirt of DOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!" to match his socks.)
    • Adds to the content of the game (For everyone who says this game lacks things like involving storyline, intrigue, something to do
    • Makes it more difficult for jerks like Blacksnow or any other EBay'ers to ruin the game.
    • And also removes that cheese smell like Fabreeze

I'll see your bump and raise you another bump.

If anything, FunCom has been doing alot for the game, and this right here would be the revolutionary thing that would steal all of the other players from any other MMORPG and allow them to conquer the World.

(Insert Pinky and the Brain themesong here).
    Last edited by Deaddreamer; Mar 20th, 2002 at 22:43:46.
    "Rubi-Ka is my home, my life, and my office... who let these people in?" - Madaline "Deaddreamer" Fontanaro
    "If you cancel your account, can I have your stuff?"
    Date of registration 2001-06-29 00:11:50 UTC
    Account status Open
    Next billing 2002-08-04

Now, who's the newbie here?

For the MMORPG Elitists:
    • Explorer:80%
    • Socializer:66%
    • Achiever:33%
    • Killer:20%

comment

Valen, not a flame but in regaurds to your idea why in game now do we see level 151 in the longest road dungon? They could care less about any item in there for themselves. I think what your suggesting would not completely solve the problem although it would stand a chance to help it a bit. See AC uses this yes, but it is coupled with very fast spawn rates, thats why it works.

What is going on right now is we have high level players that are creating twinks. This is a fun part of the game and should not be looked at as problematic in itself. But what happens is high level player A in guild x has a lot of high level friends that he groups with and whatnot. Well high level player A decides he wants to create a new and different toon. So he comes to a level that he could benifit from a goodie in a particular dungen and says hey high level guys in guild x come and kill this guy for me so I can get the goodie. Where does this leave the new player b with no guild friends at a much higer level than himself? No chance at the goodie. Go into the longest road or stepps and tell me what you see. The above scenario is acceptible in my mind IF the porper game mechanics were in place to allow the new player an equal and fair oppertunity to get a shot at the boss. Again I am not blaming the guilds and or high level players for helping there twinks or even new guild members, this is not the problem. The problem is that the GAME itself alows this type of (in my mind) fair aiding play to serious damage others.

I fear that the 1 week (insert any timer here) or timer on completing the quest rule would not help this situation much. Reason? Because it is happening now, high level players go and kill the boss repetedly and never even touch the loot themselves. So unless the rules about who is able to loot the boss givin what effort has been put forth are seriously changed I cant see this helping much. If you increase the spawn time greatly this would have an impact because the market would flood eventually everyone that wanted one would have it so it would not be camped as much and or as heavily. But this agian raises the rarity issue.

Why I really like the key idea is that in order to get the goodie there is still an effort involved. If the guild wants to send the high levels with a new player to get an item, they HAVE to put forth an effort. Although the effort may not propose a significant danger to them, they will still need to spend time and recourses to get the item for them. Ammo, health and nano packes will be used, if the drop is random and or not guarenteed ie may require multiple trips to get it. How much time out of there play time is the high level guild member willing to sacrifice. Well its risk (or in this case perhaps sheer time) verses reward. Lets look at the below examples:

NOW: High level guild team clears dungon, kills boss. They all can continue to hang out there and kill the boss again and again for continued reward be it for there twink or new members or whatnot. The effort here is minimal. Clear a path to boss, kill boss repetedly for a gain.

KEY IDEA: High level guild gets a key clears the dungon and kills the boss. Oops boss did not drop the item this time. Back out to get a new key. Dungon is now full and needs to be cleared again to make another go. Now they have done the entire thing twice for one item. Boring, oops another guild member needs one now. You see my point. And if the person himself that actually needs the item grabs a team and people around his level there will be no problem doing it a couple times. Why? Loot of mobs actually usable, exp is gained to a certain extent, fun to be able to clear the dungon for the chance and excitment of getting an item you had to work for.

Just a different outlook. Thanks to all of you supporting this, I am still hopefull it will get some atention. Please email funcom that you support the idea, as suggested by Psilex!! Thanks everyone for the additions and comments keep them comming.

Valan, I truly appriciate your comment and I hope you do not take this as an attack. Perhaps you can see my point too.

My 2 cents

Talking i'm not having that!

well I see your double bump and and go 'all in'
    and i'm off to get as many other people that i can to post a s well

Re: comment

Originally posted by Trigger
    Valen, not a flame but in regaurds to your idea why in game now do we see level 151 in the longest road dungon? They could care less about any item in there for themselves. I think what your suggesting would not completely solve the problem although it would stand a chance to help it a bit. See AC uses this yes, but it is coupled with very fast spawn rates, thats why it works.
    That's why I suggested it along with increasing spawn rates.

Valan, I truly appriciate your comment and I hope you do not take this as an attack. Perhaps you can see my point too.
    Not at all, and I never said I was against your idea (and saw your point). But this doesn't solve outdoor mobs that drop/give unique items, and the only thing that I'm a little worried about with dungeon keys is the dungeons turning into just more missions. But the latter is more related to the execution of the idea then the idea itself. We already spend enough time in "isolated" little pockets where you only see your team, and quite frankly, it's nice seeing other people around at times as long as there's enough area to share.

Personally I believe I like the idea of keys, as long as it's implemented well, and would at least address the boss-mob dungeons to some degree. The only issue then is not making it *too* easy to get the items repeatedly. Point being that right now....say mob spawns once every 2 hours, that means 1 person can get the item every 2 hours. If boss mob would spawn with every unique key, then N number, where N is unlimited, of items could be retrieved in any interval of time. If you level restricted the dungeons as well, that may counter that some (keep it difficult to get to the boss mob, and then kill it, otherwise a bunch of 200's could continually help people get the items).
    Doctor Valen, Omni Medic
    Keeper Mezathras

Lightbulb

Hey, I was thinking the same thing, about the rarity going down with it turning to a "key" style or whatnot, but that was a great idea at the end of your post.

Level restrictions to accompany the keys so that you have to be under a certain level to even enter it! That is how you keep it rare. Make it hard to get because the place is hard, not because it's ultra camped. Heck, then people might even pay lower level guys to go get them the item

great idea Valen
    "Your village called...their idiot is missing"

Psilex (Agent)
    Smokegirl (Nano-tech)
    Tylerdurdon (Bureaucrat)

Proud Member of:
    Omni-Tribunal
    Omni-Pol

Lightbulb Bump

Bump, Bump, and Bump again!

bump

were commited to getting a response and solution to this implimented FC, read it or not its going to be on the top of the boards until you do something about it.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast