Thread: Sons of Ether?

Sons of Ether?

Reposted here as not to clutter the RK1 Orgs Thread. Demenzia - Why, oh why has R.U.R. become a synonym of "Sons of Ether" to me? *

I had to look up 'ons of Ether' on Google as I never did play White Wolf games much. In the event the inspiration for RUR is like 80% Isaac Asimov, 10% Fritz Lang's Metropolis and 20% Futurama. Yes I know that doesn't add up, that's the Futurama influence :-)

The name RUR itself comes from a play wriiten by Karel Capek in 1920 called Rossum Universal Robots (RUR) which I was lucky enough to see performend once. The play's claim to fame is that it's where the word 'robot' was first used. It is derived from the Czeck word for worker or serf (robotnik).

For the record, in the play the robots eventually do revolt and take over the world. You've been warned.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

((HAHAHAHA good one Savoy. I was intending it as a half-joke anyway... blame Merryman on this, for having retorted to me "No Virtual Adepts, but we get the Sons of Ether: the R.U.R."

I've been re-working again on the mage universe recently, and the R.U.R posts still remind me partly of the Etherites' ways of doing. But that's just me
    Ah well, and if the robots take over the world, we'll just have to call... SUPER-MINERBILL and his NEO-LUDDITE-ANTI-ROBOTS BRIGADE! ))
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

Talking *NLM Recruitment Message*

*Comm terminal is illegally activated and an audi-visual message is dumped in the local grid for all to see...*

Image a series of screen shots showing key players in the Neoluddite Movement doing some very "heroic" things with overblown Hollywood effects and self indulgent posturing (including Wurly's demonstration of his "Ballet Strike of A Thousand Slashes", Ravenheart casting a "Conceal Bomb Device" nano and Gumshoes doing a "Bot Tossing" demonstration.)

See Minerbill take a dramatic pose on a cliff above Athen, looking all imperious, monkish and selflessly heroic (as a robed Atrox can with a tiny little warblade is his huge hands.

And in the background...
    "We dont Need Another Hero" from some old Mad Max Film.

The ensemble is complete with a doctored version of the Ghostbuster theme...

We you gonna call/ BOT smashers!

Demenzia don't like the NLM. But she still decides to record this advertisement. If she one day has children, it will surely make them laugh

There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

((By the way, here's the SoE's journal...

http://www.paradigmaonline.com

Any relation with R.U.R.'s own "paradigm" would of course be totally unexpected ))

There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

OOC :

RUR the "sons of ether"? .. I would take that as a compliment.
    Aye, I'm somewhat of a steampunk enthusiast and I adore the Mage tabletop RPG.
    One of my definite favourites ..

A long time ago, I was kinda bored, so I sketched a small cartoon
    featuring me as Dr. Waldemar and two of my buds as Dr. Brain and Professor Fennikel.
    It's a demonstration cartoon of our "atlas infernalis". We were bored, so we made
    an "inventor's guild" where we used aliases and plotted infernal machines
    to take over the world. Got a nice collection now.
    Anyways, "Atlas Infernalis" was our first invention, and quite impressive.
    Maybe RUR could make something like it ..

Well, anyways :

Page 1 of the atlas infernalis cartoon demonstration *here*
    Page 2 of the atlas infernalis cartoon demonstration *here*

Oh, and it's PG rated!
    Didymus - Solitus Trader, Member of Instability