Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Jynne Guide to Auto-Attack

Talking Specials

Hello again,
    Just read the bits about specials briefly, and here goes with my understanding of how they work .... as Jynne says the specials always hit, they have their own formula for calculating damage, which is usually just as in the case of Burst, a 3x roll on the weapons normal damage. I have a feeling that they are subject to Crits however, but it just doesn't say it has Crit'ed due to it being a special. (I've noticed my MA doing 2 levels of brawl damage ... I've come to call them a normal brawl and a crit brawl as the damage difference would signify this is what is indeed happening!).

The special skill you use simply cycles quicker with the more IP your pour into it. You can therefore consider your special skill as a kind of Init for that special. Therefore Fixers with huge amounts of Burst, will be able to Burst more frequently than those without, hence more DoT.

So yes, pouring IP into specials such as Burst or AS or Brawl is a good idea to increase overall damage output.

Anyway I hope this helps somewhat!

. . . Dream . . .

Major headache of Opposing Force

"Not a rant, not a flame. Just another perspective."

Well - specials are not the focus of this guide, since it is the guide to Auto Attack

However...

Higher skill in all specials makes them recharge faster, thus raising your damage over time. Also, some specials (aimed shot, sneak attack, backstab, brawl, dimach, and full auto) do have damage multipliers or damage statistics that are influenced or outright determined by the skill.

Damage from fling shot, fast attack, and burst, are not affected by your special skill. It is affected by your attack rating per the normal attack equation (1+(AR/400)).

Specials really could be worthy of their own guide but there is, or was anyway, a sticky post on the soldier forum with a list of equations for determining special recharge based on your skill with that special.

Edit - PS burst USED to crit way back in the day, but it was nerfed along with the sunburst MK3 weapon because people were getting crit buffs and scopes and then one-shotting people in PvP with bursts so powerful the gun became known among my circle of friends as "instant death in a can, just add targets."
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

This is not a bump. Really

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

This is something of a question, but I'm almost positive I know the answer, .

For a while now (no idea when it started), the damage my opponents do has been constant. ie, being attacked by a certain enemy of a certain level will always do xx amoount of damage.

At first, I thought this was just because enemies had very constant damage, like 100-100 instead of my 10-200 type. But from your guide what I'm getting, is that this means they are doing absolute minimum damage with every attack, is this true? And what this means is that upgrading my armor right now is pointless, correct?

Upgrading my evades of course, is certainly not pointles, .
    Adam

TL5 Adventurer: Symboli [Equipment]

TL2 Bureaucrat: Aidanesta

bang on the money admanb, your AC is reducing your enemies damage to the absolute minimum, so upgrading your armour will not benefit your PVM performance whatsoever.

P.S. why is this not sticky :P
    Field Marshal Londino, lvl 220
    Cutting through the forest of reason
    Veteran of Forsaken
    Former Soldier Professional

Silly doc thingy Londina, lvl 175+
    She needs tokens dont ya know.

WAHOOO! I don't have to be broke again! .

Maybe not sticky, but at least a link from the beginners link list.
    Adam

TL5 Adventurer: Symboli [Equipment]

TL2 Bureaucrat: Aidanesta

Very nice guide, but I am left with one question ... why do you call it a guide to auto-attack? In your sig you call it auto-combat, which seems a bit more apt. I came to this thread thinking you had something to say about the game options to automatically attack back when you are attacked (and I was really wondering what that might be). In my experience, that's what most folks are referring to when they say "auto-attack".

Maybe I'm still confused though, because in your guide you say, "that apply to anyone who is fighting with auto-attack." To me that remark implies there are people who are not fighting with auto-attack, which I don't understand from the rest of your guide.
    Bima, Golly, Whatsamatta, Laslingis and an army of sub-100 alts

Originally posted by Bima
    Very nice guide, but I am left with one question ... why do you call it a guide to auto-attack? In your sig you call it auto-combat, which seems a bit more apt. I came to this thread thinking you had something to say about the game options to automatically attack back when you are attacked (and I was really wondering what that might be). In my experience, that's what most folks are referring to when they say "auto-attack".

Maybe I'm still confused though, because in your guide you say, "that apply to anyone who is fighting with auto-attack." To me that remark implies there are people who are not fighting with auto-attack, which I don't understand from the rest of your guide.
    I come from a background in MUDs and we called the generic "do_fight()" combat loop there "autoattack."

Because you aren't hitting any buttons or typing anything to make your character take these attacks, it's automatically done by the game for you. Thus you are "auto-attacking."

Originally posted by Jynne
    This is not a bump. Really
    Not a bump?

Definately a bump and a vote to make this sticky.

/me hides cookies in sig for Cz.
    Marquis "Clearspirit" Pillot
    RK2 Omni Inter-Op

Lorriane "Arosabir" Cratty
    Wanna-be merchant @ Harry's Outpost!

"I was born in the dark but it wasn't last night..."

Nice post Jynne ;)

Axemur : Investing in burst will bring your burst recharge down allowing you to burst more often !
    Also allows you into better guns .

Is nanoresist affected by AddallDef modifiers ?! I'd like it to be as i now have an addAlldef +28 ring , but I'm pretty sure its not .

Fullauto checks each bullet against evades and has alot of randomness added in . Burst is miles better .

Re: Nice post Jynne ;)

Originally posted by Reaperman
    Axemur : Investing in burst will bring your burst recharge down allowing you to burst more often !
    Also allows you into better guns .

Is nanoresist affected by AddallDef modifiers ?! I'd like it to be as i now have an addAlldef +28 ring , but I'm pretty sure its not .

Fullauto checks each bullet against evades and has alot of randomness added in . Burst is miles better .
    Addalloff doesn't help nanoresist.

If it did we'd never be able to land anything on a GA fixer Instead, nanos go thru GA like a hot knife thru butter.

Back to the top (can never find this when I need it).

Wow, i must say that theres some pretty intelligent folks out there after all,
    my only question is how come they dive so deep into nevereverland once in awhile :P
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Omg it's been so long since this has been bumed

Bump back to the top - why has this never been stickied?

Jynne perhaps you could add a section about AS damage!?

Originally posted by diatribe
    Bump back to the top - why has this never been stickied?

Jynne perhaps you could add a section about AS damage!?
    Because I don't know how AS damage is calculated specificially.

I know partial details, but not enough that I could create an equation from it

Very generally: AS damage is based on either the max damage or max+crit damage of your weapon, times a multiplier. How high the multiplier gets, seems to depend entirely on your AS skill. I have seen unconfirmed reports of AS multipliers of x36 (that's right, 36 times max damage).

I don't have the free time to test this properly ingame though, so I won't pretend that this is accurate, or to know how the multiplier is determined.

Initiative affects your attack speed in the following way: 300 points of weapons initiative, results in -0.5 seconds to attack time, and -1 second to recharge time.
    Hmm... is it interpolated or it's a step function?

In other words, what's happening at 299 weapons initiative -- is my attack time reduced by -0.49 and recharge time by -0.99 seconds, or nothing's happening until I cross the magic threshold of 300?

Also, what are the next thresholds? 600, 900, etc.?

Originally posted by Kaa

Hmm... is it interpolated or it's a step function?

In other words, what's happening at 299 weapons initiative -- is my attack time reduced by -0.49 and recharge time by -0.99 seconds, or nothing's happening until I cross the magic threshold of 300?

Also, what are the next thresholds? 600, 900, etc.?
    It's interpolated. At 299 init you will see about the same effect on speed as at 300 init or 301 init.

Yes, multiples of 300 from then on, until 1200. After 1200 inits are 1/3 effective (so you need 2100 init instead of 1500 init to meet the next "threshold" as it were.)

If this isn't clear enough from the guide please PM me and I will update it to clarify the wording

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast