Thread: From Heaven's Heart I Cry for Thee...

Exclamation From Heaven's Heart I Cry for Thee...

One could never mistake the majesty and beauty of a Rubi-Kan sunset. For underlying the ambers and yellows, among reflections and emanations of terraformed waters and indigenous deserts, were the faint, elusive sighs of a planet tormented by potential, simultaneously torn molecule by molecule, grain by grain, apart.

Despite reassurances to herself of "right", those of "moral" and "just", those same forces which tainted the majesty and beauty of the planet seemed also to clutch her heart in its icy, mechanized grip. It was not Omni-Tek that wielded that touch, she knew. Nor was it the ICC, the Sentinels, or the truth-seeing Henry Radiman. It was not the immortal Eva Pourais; for all her tact, centuries of deceit upon deceit could not permit her the grasp required to see the phenomenon laid across the land. And it was neither of the pawns, Ross nor Silverstone. It was all of them.

At her perch high atop the steeps of Versailles Tower, Emiliy Age had contemplated. She had summoned all the logic and powers of thought that dwelt within her, recounted every memory of battles in Newland Desert and the comraderie of those precious moments, and she had wept at their conclusion. Her conclusion. Infinitum.

From her secluded, isolated nest high atop the planet, a great cry had risen from the surface below, which had washed all emotion from her heart, from her soul, only to usher in an encompassing silence. A void, which had only occupied the faintest of corners to that moment, now circled around her as a black hole swallowed all matter - swallowed all meaning. In its place dwelt lonliness, despair, sadness, mourning...

...and abandon. At the end of a course two weeks' running, Emiliy descended into the abyss of space. No other world beconed her call, nor did any other world taunt her. There was simply nothing left of her to call or taunt.

Glancing back through the shuttle's porthole at Rubi-Ka, and with the entire planet within view, she saw it. A great disease had fallen over the planet she so readily called home, a disease of absence of meaning and purpose, more terrifying and disheartening than any plague ever known.

((OOC: Over the past two weeks I've retreated into the shadows, watching and waiting for Funcom to do something about the state of the story. The story brought me here, the people, though, made me stay. But much like Bonefish, Meister, and countless others before me, I can only hold on for so long before my fingernails lose hold.

What aided this slippage, at first, was one of Funcom's E3 interviews. "We have brought the story more in game than we ever had before[/i]." At first, this sounded a blessing, until I read the meaning behind the overall pattern of FC's communications on the story itself. NPCs. Lots of them. Static, redundant, uninteresting. That's the story from here on out, plainly and simply. That's the "in-game" story content. If that is what I expected from a game, I'd be playing offline.

But more menacingly is Funcom's recent Shadowlands PR stunt. Countless times has this community cried out for upgraded apartments, and countless times have they been told that it simply "isn't our focus". Apartments, after all, are perhaps the second most-desired upgrade to AO, following closely behind PvP balance. Funcom knows this.

Today's announcement that pre-orders of Shadowlands (which, if buoyant enough, will allow Funcom a comfortable degree of negotiating leverage with retailers and, more importantly, venture capital financing firms) will include this little "perk" quite frankly dispels any myth that Funcom serves the true wishes of its playerbase. Beneath this move is a very real tone of predation. It is clever, predatory marketing at its finest.

This community (both RPing and otherwise) has been an immeasurable dream come true. I have had only one, yes, one bad experience in-game, and by and large all of you are truly beacons in this scourge, and I truly hope Funcom one day gives you the treatment you deserve.

Underlying this community are three "pillars" of sorts, which, should they ever be yanked from beneath the world, all that would be left is catastrophe. To these three, I feel compelled to give particular thanks:

(i) The ARKs. Say what you will about them, they are the hardest working people on Rubi-Ka. Whether with subtle greetings in training grounds or by illuminating a virtual bar in a sea of green names, NO ONE can deny that, had it not been for their perserverance, this world would be but a flicker in a sad game director's eye.

(ii) R.U.R. and, specifically, Savoy/Dabblez and Ognom. Say what you will, it is people like them who are the true heart of the RPing community, and are also the true RPers. Adaptive, responsive and helpful, they are the foundation of roleplay in AO, continuously breathing new life into a stagnating world.

(iii) GSP. From drunken babble to DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM, they have always been the refreshing spirit of a dying world. To this day I am still utterly and pervasively confounded by the fact that they could so consistently pour every fiber of their being to make a community better.

I could literally go on forever thanking and naming people, but it would run far too long.

To everyone who is gone yet lurking, I now join among your ranks of the outcast. Let us all hope and pray that we are given reason and occasion to return.

To all those who remain, know that the outcast are still among you, even in some small way, smiling at your words, and forever admiring your dedication.

((

To Funcom: .... when poor beaten Fishy went on a rage about the story, who defended you? When people said you were doing nothing, who said you were indeed doing "something"?

And now you've lost one more of them.

Good job.

While Em may cry, to you, Funcom, I stab and spit and rage because of this and others.

To Em: This is a post I had hoped to never read, although I suppose it was inevitable. I would not be exaggerating to say that the vast majority of my friends I have today were made as a result of Hawks and Doves, in one way or another.

I hugely enjoyed pretty much every RP thing we did together. You are one of the best I've ever met.

Suffice to say that I am very grateful to have gotten to know you which makes this as hard as it is. You will be missed. I hope we can run into each other again, either in this game or another.

I know its not much, but I don't know what else to say, other than:

Thank you.

))
    Last edited by Uwen; May 27th, 2003 at 04:41:00.
    Bliqz: "anything Uwen says is a vicious and ugly lie"

ooc

Goodbye. I hope you find what you're looking for elsewhere. You're a talented writer, and I'm sorry I never really got to meet you ingame. Even though I don't understand that the long wished for implementation of nicer apartments can be turned to something negative, I'm sure you have nothing but good reasons to leave. I wish you fun wherever you're headed.

Player of Lille

((Ouch...

I'm so sorry to see you go... I didn't get to meet you much in game, but your writings were always a pleasure to read, and I've always enjoyed them. Good luck to you on your next journey, and whatever you decide to do - I hope you have fun.

*hugs* ))
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

((Sigh.

Another one. I was just wondering a few days ago where one of my favorite RPers had been. Now I know. Oh Alam....

You make a ton of good points - as usual. There's a lot of things that keep AO going and primarily it seems to be player-based. I speak strictly of the immersiveness/story aspects.
    Now, I'm sure we all feel that Funcom isn't exactly doing its greatest at encouraging us officially... this saddens me too, but I'm not sure how we can deal with it. Ah well..

I'll miss you so very much, really I will. I regret not getting to RP with you more than I did. The times we got to spend together, RPing or just yapping were always a ton of fun. If you ever revisit Rubi-Ka, look Miss Svancara up.. will ya? She'd be happy to see you.))
    Lauri
    Cookiemonger

The Original GSP Groupie

Emily,
    I wish you would not leave but if you must ,i will miss you. I read
    the latest interview and apartments and such will be in the Towns
    of Rubika. As for the story ,it will be mostly NPC in Sl but for me i dont find that awful. I hope you find happiness where ever you go, Emily.
    Rheena Honored Maidens
    Noholdsbarre, RUR

Damnit! Another great writer leaves arghhhh!
    I still think sooner or later someone will hook up a server wide bot for rpers to register with and to play out rp scenarios. Recently one of the RURs "Meganstar" Fiddled with the helpbot code and got us a really cool basis for a real working adventure system that 1 player runs while others get /tells from the bot who are in the adventure on where to go and the next step.
    I'm hoping soon a bot can be setup to allow all rp orgs and solo players who enjoy the rp atmosphere to do adventures like that, I think that new IGN bot I was reading about might support it even, but I'm clueless how to write code stuff.
    I still think theres an endless amount of things ingame to base adventures on, alot are lvl restricted though as many zones can be dangerous without flying and that but once theres the ability for rpers to setup a communications network I think alot more interesting conflict based and storytelling stuff can take place. Recently the Clan rememberance day and the Circle G's events were very well done I thought, but getting that many people to an rp area took a massive amount of effort I think. Imagine if events like that could take place on a daily basis. I still take every opportunity to talk to greenies, but there so elusive hehe.
    I've been dying to see some events featuring giant monsters or something like that. There just aren't enough holidays to get the greenies out in mass numbers I think. If we can make the tools available for players to GM there own events, ala bots that send out tells to the players and so on I think stuff will pickup alot.

Still sad to see you go though, and I hoped our leetbot adventure was fun for you, I sure enjoyed playing the role of the leetbot with or without the ramping carpet soiling antics
    Come back for shadowlands maybe? Anyhows, enjoy your flight Emily, you'll be missed.

OOC

OOC

The Player behind Bliqz mourns the loss of one more player that he never got to know well enough.

Fare well, where ever you fare, Emiliy. You won our little smiles contest, 5 to 1... This is the first time I have thought of you and NOT smiled.

You were one of the good ones.
    Bliqz, Agent, Omni, Atlantean, "Iron Chef of Rubi-Ka"
    God is a bullet.

((The IC only RP forum is back. Bliqz is an Omni Extremist, and his posts IN THAT FORUM reflect that attitude. I can be reached by PM if you feel I have personaly offended you, and I will be happy to change/temper my post. Thank you, and have fun!))

I am very sorry to hear this. Alamexis and Emiliy were two of the more thoughtful and original characters on Rubi-Ka 1. Whatever you do, don't go and delete or perma kill your characters (oops to late for that one). The Rubi-Ka shuttle goes both ways and many people have rediscovered theri pasion for AO after a healthy break.

Take care.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Goodbye Emiliy. You'll be missed.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

((*sigh* Another one I admired so much and regretted not having more time to know...

I'm truly sorry to see you leave. You were a wonderful roleplayer, and just as Bonefish, you played a huge role in getting me involved in the roleplay. I've missed you on egchat the past couple weeks, and you can be assured that Braedon will certainly miss you at Reet's. I think he had a tiny crush. (Yet another testament to your roleplaying.)

Good luck to you. I'd be honored if our paths crossed again.))
    The Deacon of Doom
    www.gridstream.org

OOC

What can I say other than I am depressed about this. I didn't think you would be leaving us from the conversations we had but, I guess things change. *hugs* I hope you come back.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

OOC:

It's sad to see you go Emiliy, I regret not to have gotten to know your character better. Perhaps Shadowlands will bring new life to the story and rekindle your interest? Whatever the case may be I wish you good luck

./me cries

((OOC: I haven't seen you in game in quite a while, and I was hoping you were just taking a break. But, now I read this...

Bye Emiliy..

You will be missed.

))

everyones leaving
    jeepers

*former soldier, now adventurer
    *were-leet and defender of leet-kind
    *proud member of devils advocates

((OOC: Take care Em, I'm glad to have known you. Your reasons for going are sad but not terribly surprising. Shoot me an email at invisiblejesus@yahoo.com if you find yourself playing Neverwinter Nights at some point. Have fun.
    Delia "Aerinyi" Jett
    General of Whisper's Edge
    Atlantean

.... I was just asking about you .....

now your gone.... you'll always be part of the family.... remember when there is no where else to go... you can always come home.
    -

The storms show her pain... electric coated tears that reflect her sorrow... lava boils from the heat of her

rage... we are one and the same.... She is my Rubi-Ka and I am her nanomage ....