Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: RUR to research Token Technolgy for Neutrals

RUR to research Token Technolgy for Neutrals

There will be a press conference held by RUR, Rubi-Ka Universal Robots, to announce that a consortium of Neutral organisations lead by Elite Operations has hired our services to help research and develop the first, genuine Neutral token board system. More details will be made available at the press conference.

The press conference will be held at Reet Retreat (fireplace room) on Sunday 1, June at 18:00 GMT.

Dabblez,
    Director of RUR
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

hmm, ill be there, intreging

I would like to volunteer to help investigate the biological aspects of this premise by operating on any available Neutrals who would care to assist in the advancement of token technology. I have lead pipes and other assorted instruments that I am very skilled with and feel that I can make a valuable contribution to this most noble cause.
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Merit Boards for neutrals is a silly concept.

Now, the technology of the merit boards is worth investigation. My bow tie could use an upgrade...in flavor and power.

Anyhoo, best of luck. Maybe there are a few Clan prototypes around CGHQ...
    Glarawyn L220 OT Adventurer
    It's good to be furry.
    ----
    Lilredhot L220 OT Enforcer
    Don't mind me, I tank without a helmet.
    ----
    Gunslinger19 L150 OT Soldier
    There's a word for people who think everyone's out to get them: perceptive.

Here's what I'm interested in.

The Clan's token board is awarded by the Council of Truth. Now, the Council has been chased away by their own people. How do these items continue to function?

By researching this technology one would want to find out how an item you wear around your neck can provide a +210 NanoProgramming bonus to an Enforcer. This is interesting stuff.

Is there some sort of CoT transmitter that has not been shut down yet? This is the only explanation that would preclude the possibility that everything needed is contained within the neck item itself. If everything that's needed to offer a +210 CompLit, NanoProgramming, and RunSpeed bonus is contained within the item itself, then reverse engineering should be fruitful research.

If the neck item serves as a receiver only, then one would have to find the source of the transmission or at a minimum intercept the signal to the neck item as well as reverse engineer the 'receiver'.

RUR is going to unfortunately have to destroy a few of those neck items during the term of their research, I fear.

I too, have little desire to be on a continual spree of 'errands' to obtain the power from these neck items. However, the research could provide some beneficial results and I'm all for that.

I would suggest adding a look at the bizzare benefits that come from wearing a piece of an insect around your neck. Apparently Traders (And only Traders for some freakish unknown reason) are able to gain similar benefits to a token board by wearing a part of a dead mantis around their neck. Likewise for other parts of those insects. Was some of this human<->mantis biological interaction used in the development of the technology? The Mantis apparently have an affinity for the more technological atmospheres seeing as how they inhabited and transformed the crashed smuggler ship in South Fouls Hills.

I'd offer any assistance from a metaphysical viewpoint that may be requested as I too feel my bow tie could definately be superceded by anything that offers even a fraction of what Omni-Tek and the now-apparently defunct Council of Truth were able to come up with in their laboratories.

I have friends who would be willing to hand in their very own merit awards to assist such noble research. Drop me a line if you want me to contact them.

Can I please remind the neutral population that token "technology" is not really much of a technology, it is just a reward system used by governments for millenniums and millenniums.

What is there to research? I know a lot of neutrals envy those of us strong enough to pick sides for our advantage when it comes to health, nano capabilities, damage capabilities, and tradeskills. So you want a piece of the cake? Get yourselves a government, and take a side! You already fight both Omni-Tek and clanners for your precious notum sources, so it is not like you are true neutrals anymore anyway.

Of course, you could try to make a reward system that awards neutrality, but how are you going to do that? And who will govern it? "Hey, I got a medal for doing nothing at all, far out!"

No. I say: Either you are true neutrals, with the benefits and the disadvantages it brings, or you pick a side, get your rewards, and get over with it. No one said it was going to be easy.

But of course, if you want to play silly games, go ahead, I am certainly not going to spend any energy trying to stop you. Pick our token boards apart, study the technology, put your overpaid scientists on the case and find out how it works. Or just ask Omni-Tek, I am sure it is no big secret anyway.
    Kind Regards
    Prince "Morphex" Olveda

Agent Professional
    Proud Member of Legion
    [pic] [stat] [eqp]

Unknown: "I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect"
    Scope755: "To all Devs: ISNT SOO COOL TO BE NOT WELCOME IN INFERNO SK TEAMS."

Originally posted by Morphex
    I know a lot of neutrals envy those of us strong enough to pick sides for our advantage when it comes to health, nano capabilities, damage capabilities, and tradeskills.
    Let's see...

If I choose a faction I get access to better shops, bigger guilds, a much bigger side XP bonus, a greater variety of save points at lower cost, more allies and of course the much vaunted token board. I can do all of this while staying out of the conflict entirely, unless I choose to stick my head into a 25% zone and start shooting.

This, apparently, is the courageous choice. Oh, the fortitude, the courage, the sheer dedication required to accept the burden of all these benefits! "Why, I wish I was strong enough to accept another 950 hp, 210 runspeed etc!" exclaimed Mr. Neutral.

If I choose to start neutral and stay neutral I get shot at by both sides. I have a limited number of allies, the shopping's poorer and the save points are less numerous and more expensive (better yet, faction characters can use all of the material resources in neutral territory). My XP bonus is tiny and of course I have no token board.

This, apparently, is the choice of the weak-willed individual, one not strong enough to accept the burden of all of the benefits that a faction player enjoys.

Technically neutrals are able to travel to any town or outpost in Rubi-Ka, but anyone who's played neut for any period of time will tell you that any town you can reach directly from ICC through the whompa network has faction mobs that will attack you on sight and cause the guards to aggro. Travel rights for neutrals have to be earned, as you level up enough for these mobs to turn grey and simmer down a bit. There are places where you still have to be careful even in TL4.

Fact: neutrality is a tougher road than either of the two factions. Get over yourself. You did not display any sort of strength, dedication or willpower when you picked your side, you just made your life a hell of a lot easier.

As for the technical arguments against neutrals having token boards, I believe Bionitrous has demolished those quite comprehensively.

Cheers,

~R~
    Last edited by Soyuz; May 27th, 2003 at 13:18:26.

Originally posted by Bionitrous

The Clan's token board is awarded by the Council of Truth. Now, the Council has been chased away by their own people. How do these items continue to function?

the board is awarded by your clan, not the COT. eg

This Merit, the Dawn, was awarded you by your clan as a token of our gratitude! Well done! Wear this to gain benefits of it! You need to have collected in all 400 tokens and be Title Level 4 or more to earn your next merit.
    Omni-Pol intelligence report for Peregrinus Praecautus
    Known applicant of Third Faction
    Warning! Record is being accessed by an external source of unknown origin.
    Recovering file

be on your guard pilgrim
    File ends

So in other words, you don't require the backing of a major world government to acquire or manufacture one of these items, just a common-or-garden clan, guild or department. Definitely worth pursuing then

Cheers,

~R~

Nice! So, if umm ... let's say my non-Clan guild has a couple level 200 Engineers and Nanotechnicians, they can come up with something that at least equals what some pissant Clan guild with 6 130 members can award to their members.

Good to hear. I thought this technology required the backing of an organization as large and with deep pockets as the Council of Truth. We now see that these things are only given out on a guild level.

Thanks, DrTiny. We can now rule out the 'transmitter' idea and focus solely on the item worn around the neck. Everything must be contained within that little apparatus.

I'd suggest first working on figuring out how the +210 Nanoprogramming and CompLit bonuses are proffered by the item. This should not be too difficult. I as a Metaphysicist might be able to offer some insite as I'm highly proficient in executing Advanced Symbol Manipulation which offers a similar bonus of +92 to NanoProgramming. I'd bet that some of the inherent sub-routines might be similar.

Is it possible that these items act as a sort of ROM 'firmware' that interact with the wearer's NCU? Effectively running 'buff' programs continuously? I'd say this is a possibility.

Another team might want to start on an effort to 'hack' a low-level board to see if it can successfully be transferred to a new owner without self-destructing or harming the recipient. If it turns out to be an overly burdensome effort to adapt the technology to newly created devices, it might be possible to alter an existing device into a 'hacked merit board device'.

Agreed 100% with Morphex, If you want a token board pick a side if you dont got the strenght to do that too bad.
    Despite everything in the end I was a Fixer and I can say it was hell of a ride.

((OOC))

OK, reporting this thread to the moderators. Was starting to shape into a nice RP thread but the haters had to come crashing in.

Moderator: delete this once you clean up the thread, please.

Ahem.

This is RUR...You may end up with +500 Adventuring, and +500 Water Vehicle.

More to the new angle this thread is going, I dont see Neuts as deserving of a token board. It is a reward to service to your respective leadership. If you want those rewards, you first must serve a leader. Chosing to walk your own path and make your own fortune has its price.

Besides.

Who wants a "Beige Tripple flag of Indifference"? Or a "Grey Double Mark of Aimlessness"? Or a "Clear Award of Nothing in Particular"?
    Bliqz, Agent, Omni, Atlantean, "Iron Chef of Rubi-Ka"
    God is a bullet.

((The IC only RP forum is back. Bliqz is an Omni Extremist, and his posts IN THAT FORUM reflect that attitude. I can be reached by PM if you feel I have personaly offended you, and I will be happy to change/temper my post. Thank you, and have fun!))

"This is RUR...You may end up with +500 Adventuring, and +500 Water Vehicle."

Hey! One more word out of you and I'll cancel my subcription to your damned cookbook! I mean you got it all wrong buster... It's +500 pharma tech not water vehicle!

::Me scratches out the +500 water vehicle mod on his blueprints with a crayon. Damn naysayers.::

/ooc

I think you are being too hasty Bionitrous. The thread is still pretty much in-character. Chimera's roleplaying angle is to be OT extremists, and therefore would naturally be against this initiative, and that is the way it should be. Morphex's view seems to be that the merit board is a symbolic honour and its effects are of a psychological nature. We are going to argue that the tangible benefits from the token boards are purely technological and therefore given sufficient time and money, there is no reason why we cannot reproduce them. It is still all valid ic views.

I am not going to add more however as that would detract from the press conference event.

So folks, just try to keep it in character and, whether you are for or against, just have fun with this adventure.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

I tend to agree with Morphex...Its about heroism.

A medal issued for heroic effort...giving that last little umph...Pride carrying you when all else has failed.

How can one be heroic about non-commitance?
    Bliqz, Agent, Omni, Atlantean, "Iron Chef of Rubi-Ka"
    God is a bullet.

((The IC only RP forum is back. Bliqz is an Omni Extremist, and his posts IN THAT FORUM reflect that attitude. I can be reached by PM if you feel I have personaly offended you, and I will be happy to change/temper my post. Thank you, and have fun!))

More to the new angle this thread is going, I dont see Neuts as deserving of a token board. It is a reward to service to your respective leadership. If you want those rewards, you first must serve a leader.
    Who is the leader you are serving, Bliqz?

This Merit, the Dawn, was awarded you by your clan as a token of our gratitude! Well done! Wear this to gain benefits of it! You need to have collected in all 400 tokens and be Title Level 4 or more to earn your next merit.
    I suppose this means clanners who are not part of a guild do not receive any tokens, Tiny?

Yarko

Originally posted by Bliqz

Who wants a "Beige Tripple flag of Indifference"? Or a "Grey Double Mark of Aimlessness"? Or a "Clear Award of Nothing in Particular"?
    That's Bliqz, for making my point. My interest is how is it that wearing such a simple little item gives such great benifits with no cost to the wearer. I belive that is the goal...to figure out how that technology works, and implement it in a way that isn't hindered by a merit system. Or at least, that would be my goal in ... urmmm...

Com Link went Link Dead
    Glarawyn L220 OT Adventurer
    It's good to be furry.
    ----
    Lilredhot L220 OT Enforcer
    Don't mind me, I tank without a helmet.
    ----
    Gunslinger19 L150 OT Soldier
    There's a word for people who think everyone's out to get them: perceptive.

I was merely relating this information to the researchers involved in this project, they obviously havnt been able to leave their labs and purchase one of the token boards for sale in the backyards in Borealis and Newland City ((or at least they were, been a while since i made a new character)). Yarko, that is what it says in the instructions so who am I to doubt it.
    Omni-Pol intelligence report for Peregrinus Praecautus
    Known applicant of Third Faction
    Warning! Record is being accessed by an external source of unknown origin.
    Recovering file

be on your guard pilgrim
    File ends

Originally posted by Bliqz
    I tend to agree with Morphex...Its about heroism.
    I think you're missing the point. Members of either faction have it easier than neutrals ever will, and it doesn't take much commitment to sign on the dotted line with either side. After all, if it looks like you're losing you can always switch, right? Individuals who are truly indifferent will likely just sign up with whichever side offers the most security, then try to keep out of the way.

Now, I'm not saying that all members of RK's two major factions lack willpower/heroism etc. However I amsaying that these qualities are not a pre-requisite for membership. Most neutrals avoid faction membership for ideological reasons (ie. they can't in good conscience join with either side). Staying true to your beliefs in this manner, in the face of the all of the material difficulties that neuts face daily, takes as much dedication and determination as any hot-headed charge or covert op does.

Cheers,

~R~

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast