Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The evilness of Omni

The evilness of Omni

Ok, first a small disclaimer... Not sure if this is considered suitable for the 'Game Mechanics' forum, but I think this is a good a place as any.

What I find a bit upsetting these days, and with the coming expansion, is the complete and total black and white image that is appearing. The clans are 100% good, while Omni forces on the other hand are the manifestation of evil itself. In the beginning of the game, things were a bit more grey: Omni certainly had the bad history, but ingame events didn't give them the same bad Image. Hence, both parties could argue for their cause without knowing they were lying. With the Shadowlands however, things are looking to change...

Just see the latest Peek of the Week on rpgvault about the keeper:
    Additionally, the Keeper will have a special attack called Righteous Fury for Clan and Unhallowed Fury for Omni.
    What's the troubling part here, is that most players favor the Good Guys. And in the case of AO, those are without doubt going to be the clans. The clans already got the upper hand on both Rimor and Atlantean, they seem to be getting the superior items and the SL previews haven't given any reason for why anyone except roleplayers that enjoy a struggle should choose Omni.

As clan you will:
    - Be part of the strongest force
    - Have the best items
    - Be the Good Guys
    - Most likely "win" when the storyline comes to an end.

As Omni you will:
    - Have way nicer cities

If this trend goes on, I fear things might get terribly unbalanced.

Re: The evilness of Omni

Originally posted by Techblast
    ...when the storyline comes to an end.
    Hehe.

The story line in regards to the Omni vs clan conflict isnt evolving any longer.
    Bliqz, Agent, Omni, Atlantean, "Iron Chef of Rubi-Ka"
    God is a bullet.

((The IC only RP forum is back. Bliqz is an Omni Extremist, and his posts IN THAT FORUM reflect that attitude. I can be reached by PM if you feel I have personaly offended you, and I will be happy to change/temper my post. Thank you, and have fun!))

Hello!

I haven't been following the SL previews (I know "bad saerra!") so I may be speaking from a place of ignorance here... (but...)

"most players favor the Good Guys" -- Are you sure about that? I bet this is less of an issue than you think. I started playing AO for a graduate class in online communities (yes, really now I'm addicted) and I had to interview players. I talked to a few people who were Omni, who said they specifically picked it because of the StarWars analogy and because they wanted to be part of the evil empire (basically). I think evil has more draw than you're giving it credit for!

I think that, maybe, the XP bonus though makes more people choose clan... so it might be self-perpetuating (ie if a side gets a bonus, new people come into the game and choose the side with the best bonus, thus perhaps making that side stronger and eventually making the bonus larger). I don't think it's clan-specific, I think it's "whoever has the biggest bonus".

Like I said, not following SL news, so I don't know what's happening with that, but I thought that Omni has always had more side specific items? (I play clan, so I'm not entirely sure what those would be - other than omni elite armor, and the omni medical armor... )

Oh well, I kinda think it's all a matter of opinion anyhow. I happen to PREFER clan cities, because I can actually find stuff much easier and they aren't nearly so GLOOMY

Sorry if I sound a bit frazzly, still early AM for me and I'm trying to camp yalm stores LOL

5 minutes in Rome and i feel depressed already so Clan has better cities too
    Kayl - Adventurer
    Niomay - Shade
    Barenn - Soldier <--- retired due to being extremely gimpy

8Proud members of Tiger Claw7

If Keepers become neutral, they lose the ability to use Righteous/Unhallowed Fury.
    Woah there....Keepers have to start Omni or Clan...but can become Neutral? That's new and interesting. I wonder if that's a direct choice made by a player (like the omni/clan applications) or an indirect choice (result of the actions of the player)

If it's the latter, it would be really interesting for that to apply to all professions. A route to gain neutrality...where both sides disown you...very interesting indeed.
    Glarawyn L220 OT Adventurer
    It's good to be furry.
    ----
    Lilredhot L220 OT Enforcer
    Don't mind me, I tank without a helmet.
    ----
    Gunslinger19 L150 OT Soldier
    There's a word for people who think everyone's out to get them: perceptive.

I for one chose Omni because:

They're all very dirty.
    My idea of slumming it is watching black and white tv.
    Shopping is good.
    Greed is good.
    It's only oppression if you're at the bottom of the pile.
    Capitalism may have faults, but if you can't deal with it, its your own fault.

Please allow me to introduce you to the voices:

The voices, the voices! Stop the voices!

The voices are played by, in order of appearance:

Gragoneye - loveable, hugable, with a fondness for violence!
    Servivious - bitter, twisted and a little unhinged..
    Blindhealer - just a little bit out of her depth!

Proud to be First Order!!

I'd say the personal choices people make of good/bad are perhaps of far less interest than the spins of

Good/rebellious/anarchic/communal

against

Evil/corporate/authoritarian/capitalist

While we're all willingly buying into these interpretations - the extent to which we reinforce them and the extent to which they are informed by Scandinavian political engineering Zeitgeist is interesting

There are good clanners?

Hmmmm...

*jots down notes*
    Just because I have a metalic jaw, doesn't mean I've ever been in a 007 movie.

Originally posted by Pyreal Gnat
    There are good clanners?
    Some are good in soup, others on the grill.

Some though you can boil for days and never get the gamy smell out of them.
    Bliqz, Agent, Omni, Atlantean, "Iron Chef of Rubi-Ka"
    God is a bullet.

((The IC only RP forum is back. Bliqz is an Omni Extremist, and his posts IN THAT FORUM reflect that attitude. I can be reached by PM if you feel I have personaly offended you, and I will be happy to change/temper my post. Thank you, and have fun!))

Labels such as Clan and Omni...

... are meaningless. The only truth is are you Unredeemed? If not then...

DIE!!!! DIE!!! DIE!!! redeemed filth!!!

Lol, when I choose OMNI I didn't even know they where the bad guys.. Better yet, I thought they where the good guys...

I choose OMNI because there where so manny clanners allready

Talking Clanners are good????

Clanners are good????

good to kill right?

Have you read Prophet without Honour? It'll be clear who the bad guys are.

And if you have:
    And just because they are affiliated with Omni-Tek doesn't mean Omni-Tek is the bad guy.

Never kill a clanner in rutting season, its hard to get the gamy smell off of them (the smell of urine is next to impossible to wash out, as well as the copeous ammounts of sweat)

I find atrox to be quite a dilicious choice for harvesting neural energies, as they are not tainted by extra ammounts of Testosterone (if you can find a non-bearded one)
    Just because I have a metalic jaw, doesn't mean I've ever been in a 007 movie.

All evil and all good

Originally posted by Techblast

As clan you will:
    - Be part of the strongest force
    - Have the best items
    - Be the Good Guys
    - Most likely "win" when the storyline comes to an end.

As Omni you will:
    - Have way nicer cities
    You mean as Omni you will:
    - Have cities that are big, dark, hard to navigate and empty with the exception of RBB.
    - Have some really nifty armor that's great for low level's and a few other people.
    - Have access to every neutral city.

OOC:
    I think that the whole good vs. bad thing should be decided by the players and not the items in the game. The item's should have names that don't associate themselves with good vs. evil unless it's something that both sides can use. Regarless of what side your own there are going to be good and bad people. It's something that should be decided by the player not the faction.

Here's example nano crystal's for an NT let's say:
    QL200 Dark- Inflicts massive amounts of damage on the target in the form of the weakest AC also cuasing that AC to become weaker. Cannot be learned if Light has already been learned.
    QL200 Light- Inflicts massive amounts of damage on the target in the form of the strongest AC giving 25% of the total damage back to the caster's team as health. Cannot be learned if Dark has already been learned.

Just an idea of how I think this should work. Both the Dark and the Light libraries could have advantages and dissadvantages somewhere down the line forcing the player to do some investigating to determine the playstyle that they want. There could even be "Savoirs" on both sides that erase all of the Dark or Loght nano's that you have learned so you can choose the other path.

But please let the players decide if they want to be good or bad, not the faction's that they chose. Just becuase the story line target's OT as the bad guy's doesn't mean that the players should. All I'm saying is that almost every bad guy has thought what he was doing is right and there are always going to be people that see it as wrong.

Clans think what OT is doing is wrong and OT is doing what they are doing becuase it's in their best interest. OT thinks that the Clans are the bad guy's becuase they are rebelling in their interest for their own personal gain. So both sides are really the same but have different goals in the outcome whether they be good or bad, the point is that the people are only looking out for themselves. Neut's are just cought in the middle of everything and can't really make up their own minds before OT and the Clans make it up for them which just make them sheep.

The point is that there are good people and bad people. The people in charge might be good or they might be bad. But the big thing is that they make up there mind to be good or bad whithout changing sides.

IC:
    The only thing good for killing on RK is OT. Beacuase we don't eat our dead prey (you guy's are sick, talking about how to cook us) we don't get mad cow diseas (one would think they would have found a cure for it by now) from eating our own species which would give good reason that OT is dwindling.

OOC:
    Wow, this is kinda lengthy ^__^;

Re: All evil and all good

Originally posted by TimmyTurtle
    I think that the whole good vs. bad thing should be decided by the players and not the items in the game. The item's should have names that don't associate themselves with good vs. evil unless it's something that both sides can use. Regarless of what side your own there are going to be good and bad people. It's something that should be decided by the player not the faction.
    I agree it does seem a bit prescriptive.

However the other thing to consider is that in any generic unbiased cross section of the player population there are going to be equal numbers of good and mean players.

Ie. without any blantantly obvious clues or hints as to what you're supposed to align to both Omni and Clan will in theory end up with roughly equal numbers of good/bad people. (Perhaps more Americans will perceive Omni as good - who knows).

If say it was neccessary as a plot device to have the populations bifurcate into black and white segregations but despite your best efforts at hands off social engineering this wasn't happening, then perhaps a dumming down of your slightly too subtle associations might be neccessary.

Just a thought.

I steadfastly refuse to "bifurcate into black and white segregations." I also don't do windows.
    Skeena - Omni Fixer RK2 [SETUP]
    Mctrout - Omni Doctor RK2 [SETUP]
    Kaarp - Omni Enforcer RK2

86% Explorer - 53% Socializer - 46% Achiever - 13% Killer

So you aren't going to defenstrate my argument then?

<scrabble for dictionary>

No, I'm not. Mommy told me that too much defenstratation will make you go blind.
    Skeena - Omni Fixer RK2 [SETUP]
    Mctrout - Omni Doctor RK2 [SETUP]
    Kaarp - Omni Enforcer RK2

86% Explorer - 53% Socializer - 46% Achiever - 13% Killer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast