Thread: Ac2

Post Ac2

this morning i read an interview over on Gamespy.com with the leadthingie of asherons call 2.
    that game looks totally awesome. fantastic graphics (yes ao's graphics are crappy by todays standards and they are completely unoptimized, no systems i have heard of runs it satisfyingly)
    that game offers, like the first, a storyline playable by each player, if i understood it correctly, so that evryone can feel like a "hero" and it will feature ongoing monthly storyline events, with information about it leaking around into the world.
    there will be player rebuilding of the world, since it was destroyed sometime after ac1 ended...
    later on there will be a housing system like the one that is currently in ac1.
    this game looks and sounds more incredible than ao ever did...
    why oh why haven't FunCom done any large story events that evryone (or nearly) could participate in?? i hate this "dead" world where the only thing i can do is shoot monsters... no interaction with anyone!!! this is a roleplaying game! i wanna play the story not read it on thirdparty websites!!!
    when ac2 comes out it and swg will be fighting for my allegiance. ao will not stand a chance compared to those two titans!
    funcom has launched a missile that will never reach it's target, and they should've seen this in the beta fase (if it ever existed, which is highly doubtable) and done something to straighten the course of the game...

so untill ao has a story that is playable i'll be whining on... bye

the major difference is that AC2 is set to a medivel setting while AO is set to a Sci-fi setting, that speaks evrything for me.
    Also sofar what i have seen of swg is that you will have to be a somewhat SW fan to play it .. im no sw fan so I guess I'll keep my distance (dont get me wrong I like the movies but jar jar binks realy killed the spirit).

Well I enjoy solitude but even I have to take issue with your "no interaction with anyone" statement.

If you want to interact with people then INTERACT WITH THEM. Is Funcom suppose to lead you by the hand and personally introduce you to people and set up ice cream socials for you to "interact"?

There are player social activities going on all the time. Even I--who rarely groups, finds out about them. Take a little initiative, don't expect Funcom to do everything for you.
    Anastasia "Aniee" Cervenak
    Martial Artist

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to. -------Mark Twain

ok. first of all i didn't mean interaction with players... even a moron should be able to figure that out... of course i meant npc interaction... those ppl are dead idiots who's vocabulary is "Hello" and "I don't understand"... okay i know that u can "talk" to some of them, but not in a very informative or userfriendly way...
    and don't think i don't take part in stuff. i have an org of about 30 ppl with whom i do missions and have org events with when we are enough online for such a thing to be possible...
    and ass for swg, i am an sw fan, and indeed i admit that E1 really ****ed up evrything, but listen to this: SWG is taking place somewhere along side E4 E5 E6... which means Vader, Luke and the others, (it will be possible to encounter ppl from the movies, or at least so i've read) and no ****ing Jarjar binks!!!!!!!!!!
    but still i like the fantasy setting of AC2 better than sci-fi... only reason why i joined ao was cause my friends said it was good, and it looked nice too... besides i was new to online gaming in that fascion... i'm used to quake and it's siblings...

What will SWG turn out to be like? I know they have great plans but I, sadly, have no idea what those plans are for. If SWG turns out to be a mix between the N64 games and the movie you have my promise that I will not play it. If SWG has an actual economy and is made so you can "live" in the game 24/7 at that time period I probably will play it.
    I am also a fan of the sci-fi setting but AC2 might turn out to be good, but I dont thaink a game which will have its plot constructed by its players will be the best in its class, so to speak/type. People play these games to take a brake from RL, that includes not rebuilding a fallen civilization in 1st person mode.
    AO is actually the first MMORPG I have ever played, I started playing Tachyon: The Fringe online a few years ago but saw no good points to it. Tachyon was not made mainly to be played online, so it was not as good as it could be which discouraged me from playing EQ when it came out.
    In my opionion, SWG will be more like the movies to be fun and AC2 will require players to do too much for it to take off well, from the information I have heard. I would like to get a bit more information on these games but AO sounds like it is the best game to play because it has a developing plot and charicters which have spread through levels allowing the game to seperate a bit.

maxtor, i don't see why playing a space shooter could stop u from playing a rpg?? but nevermind that, swg will, as i have so far read adn understood, give u the ability to become a merchant or whatever type of char and stay in there while u work ur trade and so forth. the game should also include continuous landscapes, which means no zoning...
    money should also be extremely scarse and items aren't dropped often by mobs... so in theory this should spawn a player controlloed economy, controlled in the way that players make the stuff... if this works i don't know, it doesn't work in ao, and it didn't work well in daoc...
    and well, the story for swg, that must be it's only weak spot as i can see it... it is bound by the story set up in the movies which sets up some tight frames for what they can do with it... altho i know countless novels and comics exist that take place in the starwars universe these are also using the characters from the movie, but still, the movies have a rather abstract timeline in them... so it is possible to put stuff in between them.. but let's see.... sw also has that sci-fi fantasy mix which ao is missing... i personally miss finding magical items... that's part of the drive in a rpg. finding unique and powerful eq... anarchy has unique eq but it's for evryone to find so evryone's running around in the same unique robe and what not... of course it is only fair that all players get a shot at the item, but i'd rather see more randomly generated items, than those things....
    as for u'r thoughts on ac2:
    personally i think that the idea of rebuilding the world sounds very intruiging and i think many more ppl find that too, in fact Turbine also promises to watch player trafic and then start up shops in the area that the players then can upgrade on, f.eks. there's alot of player activity near a mine, so a forge opens up there. this forge may only be running on 50% efficieny so the players can begin repairing and helping the forge grow and in time make it operate at 100% efficiency, this could then draw more businesses and soon a small village sprouts from the landscape where before was nothing... in fact, building a world from scratch is what funcoms next game is about...
    all this sounds very intruiging to me and i'm looking very much forward to seeing if they can manage to pull all of their promises out of the hat...
    playing on rk2 leaves me gasping for a playable storyline but if funcom decides to pis on my wishes for such and say "go play on rk1" i'll just say "beep" u and get the "beep" out of this game when my subscription runs out .
    i don't know why i should pay to play this game online when there's as much story in the world as on a quake3 server which is free...
    and well, the sci fi twist that ao has just isn't catchy enough, imho funcom hasn't managed to pull of this game well enough... but i'm me, and i have certain demands for a game... i may be strange but i accepted that long ago

I read the same article on Game Spy.

Looks Awesome, but so did AO.
    182 NT

Calming is just a hobby I dabble in, my real passion is blowing stuff up.

well i don't think i agree on that... the info i got on the game was rather limited..."they" just said that it would be one of the greatets mrpgs ever.... well in my opinion "they" were proven wrong....
    and before u all start asking "WHY THE HELL DID U START PLAYIN IF U THINK IT SUX THIS BAD????"
    well it didn't suck at first... at first it had that intruiging giant unexplored world feeling... but when i found out how limited in my movement i was, even now at lvl 86 where i as a crat have yet to accumulate enough wealth to buy a plane, i was soon disappointed in it... only reason i kept playin was because of the "NO REFUNDS" sign and the fact that i actually believed in the game... but my hopes proved hollow and i am now an opponent of ao... maybe if i had started playin on rk1 things would've been different, but i didn't. and so what? shouldn't the game be the same for evryone? i do have a char on rk1 but i lost interest in it since i thought the game was laggier there, and for a game in which my ping is good when it's 120 and bad when it's above 400 and when there is so much death because of lag i just dumped rk1...

I played Asheron's Call for two years. Left happy but bored. (You can only kill so many tuskers/red banderlings/coral golems before you get tired of it.) I really liked how Turbine kept on top of the story, introducing new content every month.

As for AC2 -- I looked at the article, but frankly I'm not getting my hopes up, even for Turbine. After games like DAoC, AO and Jumpgate, I refuse to give in to the hype anymore. Anything I read in those preview articles is vapor as far as I'm concerned, until I see it in the game when I play it.

Every company out there will tell you how their game is going to be THE ONE. It'll be revolutionary. It'll change the way you see MMORPGs. They'll have all these wonderful new features that nobody else has. They'll stomp out the bugs, get rid of the exploits, and have wonderful customer service, too.

Really.

Yeah, right. Heard that one before.

I'll certainly keep my eye on AC2 (and Neocron, and a couple others) and hope to get into the beta so I can take it for an extended test drive. Other than that... *shrug* I'm not giving anyone one red cent.

indeed u are right that the game developers scream out how wonderful their game is, and i know that this is not always true, so naturally i also hope to get into the betaphase so that i may see if the game is any good and do what i can to help getting the game on the right track... of course this could be a hopeless feat, but ac2 builds on already set standards and have an experienced team behind it, and by experienced i mean ppl who have done a mmorpg before, which funcom had not.
    i am also signed up for several other betatests but so far there aren't really any games that look good, in my opinion, out there but for ac2 and swg... the impressive space rpgs aren't really my cup of tea and well, i'd like to try neocron and planetside when possible to see how an mmofps will play...